Thread: different branches of human evolution?

rainleaf

Default different branches of human evolution?

Imagine how humans will look like/behave in a many thousands of years. Lets say that in some part of the world, veganism becomes the norm, whereas in another part, meat/milk etc is still in use. Surely, we will evolve as different subspecies....? or even species? We can't say that we were meant to be this or that, because one of the most interesting things in life is the power to ADAPT. But, surely, if we see in animals, vegan monkeys are usually less aggressive. So, will it be the orches against lighter beings, in the future? i'm joking, but not entirely

Default Re: different branches of human evolution...?

interesting question. but I see the future human-free as the robots take over (we'll make ourselves extinct!)

This is a very interesting thing to think about it. Hopefully, veganism does become the norm in the future. If it does, I think humans would evolve to have stomachs not designed for any sort of animal proteins and more for digesting grains/vegetables. If in a part of the world, there are humans who still eat animal products, and if we are fully seperated (no breeding together), they'd probably be different. They'd probably be very tall, have bigger bone structure, be naturally overweight, probably have a poor digestive system.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Pilaf

I think most of you haven't the faintest clue how human evolution works. I very hightly doubt we'd change physically because we adopt a vegan diet. On the contrary - that's what our bodies are already designed to eat. Individual people would live longer, healthier lives and we may have a more sustainable planet to live on, but that would not be a catalyst for Evolution. Humans probably won't evolve again until we head out into space and populate different planets with different environments (such as planets with more or less atmosphere or gravity.) On those planets, certain body types will adapt better and be able to survive, which may cause certain genetic traits such as skin colors or muscle structures to become predominant. However, since we have a high level of technology and comforts, even that's not guaranteed. Where is the need for evolution and survival of the fittest when you can grow your own food or use machinery to transport yourself?

No..I'm of the personal opinion that barring science, Humanity has done about all the natural evolving we're gonna do. We've filled our niche quite comfortably. Species only tend to evolve when struggling to adapt and fill a niche - when their numbers are relatively low and their body type isn't perfect for their environment yet. Since we started using our minds to alter our own environment a few thousand years ago, we've found a way around evolution and physical evolution is no longer at play.

Easy, Pilaf. This question was a fun, "what if" type question. Not a serious scientific debate.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Prawnil

Quote Pilaf View Post
    Species only tend to evolve when struggling to adapt and fill a niche - when their numbers are relatively low and their body type isn't perfect for their environment yet.
    A uni-directional (organism must=totally independent niche), simple minded, environment-dictates version of a model that is outdated and not entirely realistic, considering closer the circular relationship between environment and organism. Talking about evolution as a start-stop process is strange. Genetic drift is constant and given enough generations, there isn't much reason to doubt that isolated populations of vegans and non-vegans would diverge.
    To live is adaptive success, there is no gradation of adaptation, despite how sensible the cartoon version seems, superficially.
    I say these things because you are pointlessly belligerent. That, and I find Dawkma, especially when it's used to condescend- and it usually is, irritating.

From what I understand of evolution, is that we are constantly evolving, gradually. In my unqualified opinion, I wouldn't anticipate major physical changes, but perhaps subtle changes in the gut flora and intestinal lining? Lactose intolerance for sure.

rainleaf

Default Re: different branches of human evolution?

I have heard different theories about evolution. one theoriy talk about "the habit of nature" , if a group of animals behave, eat in a particular way, their genes will evolves, acording to the habit. It is called adaptation. To adapt. It is one of the most basic rules in biology. If you have a particular habit, you'll eventually get a particular gene, (or body, brain, temperament)

leedsveg

Quote Pilaf View Post
    I think most of you haven't the faintest clue how human evolution works.
    Bit of a sweeping statement, isn't it? Only 3 people have posted before you!

treaclemine

The study of evolution - e.g. genetics and molecular biology - seem to show that adaptations of body parts which are acquired during our lifetimes cannot trigger changes in the sperm and egg cells that could transmit these acquired traits to our offspring.

However, if we are born with an adaptation which makes us better at producing grandchildren, that trait can start to become more common in the gene pool of future generations.

rainleaf

I have just read an interesting book called "Dominion", its about human evolution and its part in the ecosystem, since the "birth" of the "first" humans... I highly recommend it.
    The view on evlution is not totally solved... We might think today that the scientists are all together in this matter. Not at all. We learn new things about evolution, stasis, and other, that are not always in the same theory as Darwin... So don't be to sure about yourselves when coming whith "facts"

We might think today that the scientists are all together in this matter. Not at all.
    Sure - not only do scientists often disagree, but new discoveries are made almost every year - the most recent was officially announced this week...

I have heard different theories about evolution. one theoriy talk about "the habit of nature" , if a group of animals behave, eat in a particular way, their genes will evolves, acording to the habit.
    One interesting side effect of this could be that if our ancestors at some point started to include animal products, we could at least theoretically evolve towards becoming beings that would synthesize less B12. Nature may have it's habits, but the human animal is probably the species on the planet that are most addicted to our own, self-generated habits. We're probably also the only species who consider copying other species' eating habits - and definitely the only species that consider coping the eating habits of humans or human-like species that lived thousands of years ago.

There have been many branches of human and human related evolution already - on of the last human related species, Neanderthals, were for a long time even considered being our ancestors.
    Imagine how humans will look like/behave in a many thousands of years.
    Our looks will probably change only in a few hundred years. Just by looking at old black-and-white photos of my grand grandparents, it seems that the general look of humans have changed only within a few generations.

On the contrary - that's what our bodies are already designed to eat. Individual people would live longer, healthier lives and we may have a more sustainable planet to live on, but that would not be a catalyst for Evolution. Humans probably won't evolve again until we head out into space and populate different planets with different environments (such as planets with more or less atmosphere or gravity.)
    Have you seen this article? Human evolution is 'speeding up'
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Sorry to be serious, but I believe the human species will not survive and will take many species down with him/her.

The planet won't care less of course, as it has all the time in the world, but eventually some other 'intelligent' creature will evolve and feck up its own destiny again.

I'm not sure 'intelligence' of the human kind is of evolutionary benefit.