Thread: Nuts about nuts!

ambs

Default Nuts about nuts!

Personal story for those who are interested, can give me advice or who can simply relate.
    I'm Female and 18 years old.
    Since being a vegan (2-2 an half years now), i've lost a fair amount of weight, i use to be 5'7" (172 cm) and 145 lbs (66 kg). I'm now around 108 lbs (49 kg). Mind you, this was gradual and intentional.
    I have a physical job in hospitality, constantly power walking, bending, lifting and this is basically my only form of exercise.
    i eat fruit in the morning most days for breakfast with a cup of tea or two.
    then have a healthy lunch mid afternoon e.g tofu salad, curry, veggie dishes and dont efter 5pm.
    i don't eat processed foods, bread or pasta (wheat intolerant) and rarely have rice, sugar, soft drinks, oils and never any fried foods.

but!
    i have one question, i eat nuts fairly often, always the raw, unsalted kind with dried fruit. it's basically the only snack i have.
    lately i've been worried about gaining weight on it as they are high in caloires and fat.
    but because i have a fairly strict eating plan, that it might not make a difference?
    plus these past two days i had a couple of big spoonfuls of peanut butter.. is this bad for me?
    i hadn't had it in ages, but mum recently got a jar and i find myself craving it and am a little worried.
    nuts are my biggest diet failure, does anyone else have this and can give me advice to overcome it?

thank you

Default Re: Nuts about nuts!

not to be rude but you shouldn't have a diet failure...I believe that you are considered underweight, and a few nuts or a few pounds aren't going to hurt you. Fats especially from nuts are really good for you and something that your body needs.

I wouldn't worry about it...i would worry more about why I am so scared to gain weight if I was you.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Ambs- I'd say eat about a jar a day. You're very underweight and should be trying to gain. You must have expected people to comment about this when you posted your weight and height. I think you should talk to a professional about this.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I agree with the others - I'm only a little taller than you and I'm around 155 lbs. I'd like to lose a few pounds but I believe I'm right in the middle of the healthy weight band. Avoiding processed and deep fried food is of course good for you (although there's nothing wrong in my opinion with having these occassionally if you enjoy them). However, whatever your take on processed food, you shouldn't be avoiding healthy oils (olive, canola, hemp etc) which contain essential unsaturated fats. Same with nuts.

studies have shown people who consume about an ounce of raw nuts a day, especially walnuts, cashews or almonds, have actually been able to lose weight easier or at the very least maintain weight easier. this is partially because nuts give people a feeling of fullness for longer than with some other foods. Nuts are full of healthy fats(poly and mono unsaturated fats) and those are what your body needs. those fats are really good for your hair and skin as well. so go ahead. eating some nuts or peanut butter every day wont hurt you. it's good for you! your body needs fat to function properly. don't be afraid!

ambs

i'm eating peanut butter our of the jar right now, my god it's tasty ha.
    thanks for the advice, i know i need to gain a few kilo's.. i am trying to.

peace.