Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alpro soon part of Unilever or Nestlé?

Angry Alpro soon part of Unilever or Nestlé?

I hope this won't happen: http://www.flex-news-food.com/pages/...--bidders.html
    No more Alpro for me then!
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

Buddha Belly

Default Re: Alpro soon part of Unilever or Nestlé?

That is disgusting. I really hope that does not happen. I hope they are selling Alpro and keeping Provamel as it will be so much harder to be vegan then.

Oh, b***er.

First The Body Shop to L'Oreal, then Innoscent to Coke, and now possibly this.

Oh well, I only use the soy yogurt. Guess I'll either find another brand, or make my own.

nature|nurture

No way!
    I can't think of any possible substitute to their chocolate pudding.
    It happens to be one of my B12 sources...

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    That is disgusting. I really hope that does not happen. I hope they are selling Alpro and keeping Provamel as it will be so much harder to be vegan then.
    As far as I know, (only german sources) they want to get rid of their whole soya foods division.

As far as I Alpro only has one division, soya foods, so I doubt that can be true. It's their parent company, the Belgian Vandenmoortele Group, who are planning on selling them.

Sorry, I was unclear in my last post. I meant to say is that Vandenmoortele intends to sell its whole soya foods division, which would be Alpro and Provamel.

NO!

COFFEE!! Everywhere I buy coffee uses Alpro Soya.

Time to send them a flood of angry emails. I already had a go at Innocent for betraying their supposed values. Not that they care when big money's involved...
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

You are having a laugh!!!!! I drink one cup of coffee a week with my friends at Costa and obviously have a soya latte with again is made with Alpro. Other than that I can live without Alpro because other brands do yoghurts and soya milk etc. Isn't Alpro owned by a dairy company anyway?
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Oh great! So even less vegan choice than before!

It's true, money is a great persuader over everything else!
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

If this happens, it'll be such a waste

I prefer Sojasun's (I hope they're not owned by some grubby meat company!) range of yogurts, but I've never seen their products outside independent health food shops. If this does go ahead, maybe if enough people write to the supermarkets with a list of vegan products that are safe i.e. yogurts, desserts etc, they might expand their special diet ranges?

It seems Dean Foods has acquired Alpro & Provamel:

http://corporate.alpro.com/en/press-corner.html

I can't decide whether this is better or worse than unilever or nestle getting it. Why would a dairy company want to manufacture soya products anyway?

Quote Miss Cupcake View Post
    Why would a dairy company want to manufacture soya products anyway?
    because it's a profitable growing market, particularly with people (non-vegans) who believe soya products to be healthfoods. i looked at the Alpro website and couldn't find the word 'vegan' on there even once.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    because it's a profitable growing market, particularly with people (non-vegans) who believe soya products to be healthfoods. i looked at the Alpro website and couldn't find the word 'vegan' on there even once.
    This is why i'm never really comfortable with interlocking veganism and the whole 'health' thing!
    The more they are pushed together then the more that people just look on it as some kind of wacky new health conscious diet rather then see into the ethical side which is, really, the whole point of veganism!

Conversely though, the more the word is out in public domain then the more people will come to think of it as mainstream and veganism will grow, but when you get a company like this totally turning their back on their founding market and pushing their product solely on 'health' reasons then it does piss you off!!!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Zero

The dairy free market is probably bigger than the vegan market. I used soy milk before I was even vegetarian just because I found cows milk to be disgusting even when I was a child.

I'm sure I'll still buy Alpro or Provamel. I buy Tesco soy milk now and I have no idea who makes that.

Quote Zero View Post
    The dairy free market is probably bigger than the vegan market. I used soy milk before I was even vegetarian just because I found cows milk to be disgusting even when I was a child.

I'm sure I'll still buy Alpro or Provamel. I buy Tesco soy milk now and I have no idea who makes that.
    It's a huge market now. You only have to look at their national tv advertising campaign with not a mention of the word vegan to see they have well outgrown their initial customer base!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Worst vegan-related news I've heard for a while. I suppose it won't make much difference for me anyway, as I funnily enough I never buy any of their stuff, but it sure is really revolting. I hate them.

Prawnil

Quote chico View Post
    I hate them.
    I don't really understand. What do you know about Dean Foods', (or Vandemoortele's for that matter) practices that makes you say so?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Zero

Quote Gorilla View Post
    Going back to this point, I am looking at a carton of Alpro soya milk I just purchased and it says on the side (I hadn't really noticed previously):

Produced in nut-free production unit
    Suitable for Vegetarians/Vegans
    Lactose and dairy free
    Non GM Soya beans
    So that's something I guess

Zero

Dean Food's own Silk soy milk, the most popular brand of soy milk in the USA.

To me they are no different than most other multinational corporations in the food industry.

Quote Prawnil View Post
    I don't really understand. What do you know about Dean Foods', (or Vandemoortele's for that matter) practices that makes you say so?
    Why do you ask that, do you have any shares on the company? I hate Provamel/Alpro for selling themselves to a big giant corporation (as if they weren't big enough already as is), yes. When I wrote that I thought they were being sold to Nestle or Unilever, but now I know they were sold to Dean Foods, I don't hate them any less. What do I have to know about Dean Foods to hate them? The fact they're a milk and dairy company. Is that not enough to you? YES I f******* hate them.

Chico, I think you need to cool your jets. Prawn was just asking. I think we all agree the way animals are treated in the dairy industry is not good, but Prawnil's question I think was to ask if there was something specific not great about their practises.

Personally, I think it's good for the diary industry to see first hand how sales of non-dairy milks etc. are taking off, so it's not really an issue for me. If it was Nestle, I might have more to say on the subject.

To my mind, veganism is a form of lived protest against the injustices perpetuated against animals, if we cloister ourselves away from the rest of the market, it doesn't really work that way. We just dissappear as a potential market, so nothing is done to attract or mainting our custom.

But Ms_Derious, there's also the danger of funds from vegans propping up the dairy industry, or even (and some people will think I'm mad to say this) a danger of the dairy industry deliberately suppressing or limiting vegan options, much in the way that the oil and automotive industries are reputed to suppress alternatives to their products.

I could easily be wrong in this case and yes, I am a bit mad.

I agree with chico - a selling-out by a previously relatively trustworthy company is more likely to be a negative move, particularly to an American company. Although I don't use soya milk I do occasionally buy their soya yoghurt. I'll think twice from now on.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Zero

Quote DavidT View Post
    But Ms_Derious, there's also the danger of funds from vegans propping up the dairy industry, or even (and some people will think I'm mad to say this) a danger of the dairy industry deliberately suppressing or limiting vegan options, much in the way that the oil and automotive industries are reputed to suppress alternatives to their products.
    Given that they are working within the realms of captialism I would say that they are looking to expand their business into the area of the market that they are now missing out on, especially with more and more people being diagnosed with specific dairy allergies/intolerances.

The dairy free market is bigger than the vegan market and I highly doubt big dairy industries see us vegans as much of a threat at all. Maybe one day when veganism becomes more of a demand.

Whilst it is sad that they are being purchased by someone in the dairy industry, I highly doubt they are conspiring against us. Companies tend to adapt to the demand of their market and grow into similar areas or industry they see as profitable.

Quote DavidT View Post
    I agree with chico - a selling-out by a previously relatively trustworthy company is more likely to be a negative move, particularly to an American company. Although I don't use soya milk I do occasionally buy their soya yoghurt. I'll think twice from now on.
    What exactly do you mean by this? Are you saying that American companies are inherently bad or worse than companies domiciled in other countries?

double post

Company acquisition also often means consolidation of products, meaning less choice, though as I have already implied, it remains to be seen whether or not this particular takeover is a bad or a good thing.

I will continue to make whatever purchases I need from as local a source as possible. I do realise the ingredients may come from the same place no matter who owns the company but America is, for me, at a far end of a chain. I'd rather my money went to (in order of preference) an Irish/British/European company.

I also realise that American companies have to (largely) abide by EU rules; however, any EU company acquisition by an American or other non-EU company will ultimately weaken what are our far more sensible (and possibly more easily monitored) food regulations than American/other ones.

Prawnil

Thumbs down Re: Alpro soon part of Unilever or Nestlé?

Quote chico View Post
    Why do you ask that, do you have any shares on the company?
    Mainly because you didn't make clear who you hate or why. You hadn't read the thread, so were ranting about a situation that didn't actually exist.
    Dean Foods are a dairy giant, but can you honestly say you knew anything about Vandemoortele at the time you posted (Alpro didn't sell itself)? If not, they might as well have been a Pharmaceutical giant, & the deal might not have been very significant news.

Whether it's intended or not, your posts have a consistently near-hysterical tone to them.

Soooo then, if anyone no longer feels they an buy Alpro products, what alternatives are readily available? It's really the voghourts I'm thinking of.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

there is Sojasun which is available in wholefood shops and i think it's pretty good. they do different flavours like banana, passion fruit, and prune - as well as strawberry, natural etc.

other than that i only know of Granovita UHT yogurts which Asda and Holland & Barrett used to sell but it's nasty stuff imo.

Soya milks: Plamil, Sojasun, Sunrise, Tiger White are all better choices, especially Plamil and Sojasun as they are organic.

Yoghurts: Sojasun, as far as I know, is the only decent vegan alternative. Or make your own.

can you still get Tiger White? i haven't seen it for years. even my local wholefood shops only stock Provamel or some over-priced European brands these days.

i persevered with making my own soya milk for quite a while but i just couldn't get it to work well enough.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    can you still get Tiger White?
    Ah.

http://www.tigerwhitedrinks.com/inde...n=home.mailout

Sorry.

I wonder how this affects Belsoy. They are a sister company to Alpro, and it's the brand we have here, instead of Alpro.

http://www.belsoy.ca/homepage/_en/index.html

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Chico, I think you need to cool your jets.
    Quote Prawnil View Post
    Mainly because you didn't make clear who you hate or why. You hadn't read the thread, so were ranting about a situation that didn't actually exist. (...)
    Whether it's intended or not, your posts have a consistently near-hysterical tone to them.
    What the hell is wrong with you people? I hate companies that do vegan products and then sell themselves to dairy or vivisectionist companies, and YES I also hate dairy and vivisectionist companies. Now if you cannot deal with my hatred fine just leave me alone! I'm just expressing my feelings so it's you lot that need to calm your jets down. Just leave me alone with my hatred and keep your pseudo self-moderation to your good selves, by all means. It's funny to see how sometimes people go around reading my posts elsewhere and then come back to make hasty, patronizing generalizations. Hysterical? Yes mate my pleasure and I'm very proud of it. Thank you very much. Now mind your own business and stick to the topic rather than attacking me and we'll get to discuss things just fine.

Oh and btw, whether provamel/alpro sold themselves to Unilever or Nestle or to Dean Foods doesn't make any difference to me, I'm still as gutted, so I didn't rant about a situation that didn't actually exist. I'm doing fine, thank you.

Zero

If you want to "left alone with your hatred" why express it on a public forum, sure you must have expected mixed responses?

I've got no time for this. Just because I say I hate something I'm not expecting to create havoc on a public forum, and you're not compelled to reply to me. Just leave it as it is.

Zero

No one is attacking you chico, I'm sorry you feel that way. You've just chosen to take it that way. People simply wanted to understand the rationale behind what you were saying, but then you just flew off the handle and asked us all "what's wrong with you people?".

As we know, the previous Belgian holding company was not a vegan company, they made products with animal ingredients. While it sucks that they are being sold to a dairy company I don't think hating them is going to be of much use really, to me there isn't a huge degree of difference between supporting the dairy industry and being a subsidiary of it (but it's your life so do what you will, obviously).

Personally I think the most effective use of time is educating people why not to eat meat/eggs/dairy etc rather than spending so much time worrying about who is buying who and hating them for it, it's just business in the frame work of capitalism (it's a symptom of a bad system) it's not anything personal against vegans

Hope you have a good day

I didn't know the belgian company that previously held them had different activities, thanks for that. I don't know what there is to be explained about my "hatred", I just hate them for the reasons I've expressed before, what else do you want me to say or get "rationale" about? Cor blimley, just because I said random internet talk like a meaningless sentence we get all hyped up for a silly post on an internet forum? Certainly we have better things to do, right? Good'ay sir.

I just hope that the soya they use continues to be ethically sourced and gmo free. I don't like the idea that the money will be used to fund the dairy industry but then again these days huge corporate companies are so inbred that you bet any money you spend will go towards the dairy/meat industry. In fact, your income tax goes towards the dairy/meat industry anyway with all the subsidising the government does!

I suppose the best bet would be to try and use companies like plamil as much as possible as they are a vegan company! But we can only do as much as we can I suppose.

Yes absolutely. In fact, traditionnally soya milk / tofu / etc production has intimately been linked to stock raising. The okara (left over residue from soya milk production) has been used to feed cattle for ages.

The same is true with vegetable oil.

Quote WeeLee View Post
    In fact, your income tax goes towards the dairy/meat industry anyway with all the subsidising the government does!
    Heh....that's something I've never really thought about.

Quote WeeLee View Post
    In fact, your income tax goes towards the dairy/meat industry anyway with all the subsidising the government does!
    Quote Roxy View Post
    Heh....that's something I've never really thought about.
    It's clever the way they keep people from thinking about it, isn't it? I've always detested it, just as I detest tax going on nuclear research etc.

Not a great deal you can do (apart from voting green) unless you want to start paying less tax somehow.

can anyone suggest some alternate brands of milk and chocolate dessert that i currently but alpro of? that they sell in Tesco?? gutted....

Quote Daffodil View Post
    can anyone suggest some alternate brands of milk and chocolate dessert that i currently but alpro of? that they sell in Tesco?? gutted....
    Are you buying them for porting about in lunchboxes or for eating at home?

I ask, because there are some really good vegan recipes using mylk, coco and cornflour. They aren't very high in fat, and they are very nice.

Personally, as I need to get more fat into my diet I'm not eating raw avocado mousse, this is very rich and very portable. You don't need much of it though, as it is very, very heavy. If you don't want that much fat, then the mylk, coco powder route is good, but I don't know how they stand up to lunchbox travel.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Are you buying them for porting about in lunchboxes or for eating at home?

I ask, because there are some really good vegan recipes using mylk, coco and cornflour. They aren't very high in fat, and they are very nice.

Personally, as I need to get more fat into my diet I'm not eating raw avocado mousse, this is very rich and very portable. You don't need much of it though, as it is very, very heavy. If you don't want that much fat, then the mylk, coco powder route is good, but I don't know how they stand up to lunchbox travel.

for home and lunchboxes.

is that like custard? sounds lush. i notice the ingredients on my birds custard powder is cornflour, i just add sugar and alpro milk. i should try this instead. thank you.

I've PMed you with a recipe, but you might want to try this one too

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dairy-F...ng/Detail.aspx

Also, avocado mousse... this is my recipe of choice

1 Avocado
    2-3 Tbs coco powder
    10 dates or 1-2tbs sweetener of choice (Maple is nice)
    Water to blend (If you use dates, you'll need about 4 tbs)

Throw into processor. Wizzzzzzzzzz, scrape down sides, swear, whizz, repeat until smooth. Best left in fridge for a short while to firm up. This is very, very, very rich, but also not really that bad for you if you don't get a lot of fats in your diet from elsewhere.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

leedsveg

Quote DavidT View Post
    It's clever the way they keep people from thinking about it, isn't it?
    Not sure I know exactly who you mean by 'they'? I think you are referring to the meat/dairy industry, but it could be the government or the press. Please clarify with examples.

leedsveg

You have it, lv. All three, plus schools of course. The UK currently spends £38 billion annually on its military. Nice to know over £600 of tax per living body in the UK goes to your, ermm 'defence', eh?

I wonder what Northern Crock will end up costing the taxpayer? RBS? Lloyds? More like trillions than billions, I would think.

And as for PFIs, well, the taxpayer is being well-and-truly shafted for generations to come.