Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Meetup

Default Northeast Meetup

Hey everyone in the Northeast!

Would you all want to meet up in NYC in June? DiaShel's already on board, how about the rest of you?

We have a bunch of places to choose from, so if there are any suggestions post them here!

Default Re: Northeast Meetup

If I can make it, I will come! That sounds like fun, but I have kind of a busy summer, so let me know when you decide on a date.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Can we do the 3rd or 4th weekend in June? I should be settled in by then!

Since it's the summer Lulu's apothecary (vegan icecream shop!) might be one thing we can do.

Thanks for starting this Terem! Great idea.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

mmm vegan ice cream, I'm down.

I can do whatever, just need two weeks advance notice to take off from work. Fondducoeur, does the third or fourth week of June work for you?

LULUS! I tried to find that this weekend but I failed. I wrote down a bunch of addresses and then promptly lost the paper so I winged it and then I got hot so then I bought beer and drank it in the park like a degenerate.

Anyway I'd be totally down for that even if I'm the only male member.

Lula's is not very obvious EYF, I had the address and walked past it! I'm not from NY but recently visited - just to warn you it's not very big and there is only bench seating along a shelf table on the wall and two seats at the counter, no tables to sit around. I was also expecting them to have more goodies (aside from ice cream) when I went but they only had some small peanut butter truffles and some chocolate coated pretzels. Maybe someone local should check it out and see how suitable it is.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

hmmm maybe I did walk by it I remembered it being in the 600s for the address but its 500 something. Damn I did walk by it I'm looking at google maps right now! The store where I bought the beer was right on the corner. Oh well theres some lovely public gardens in the neighborhood so that made up for it

Well your beer drinking was not in vain - you have researched where everyone can take the ice cream to if you can't sit in the store!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Ohh lovely public gardens sound nice :] We can bring our icecream there, good idea!

I believe the 4th week works for me. I will most likely bring my vegan fiance if he's up for it. Ice cream in the gardens sounds great
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Shall we start planning which day? So those of us who don't have set schedules can make sure we get the day off! Would a weekend be better or a weekday?

Well I'll be work 9-5 M-F so evenings are ok but I think weekend would be better especially if people have a bit of a commute. 20/21 or 27/28 maybe?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Oh wow! The only US meetup thread I've ever seen on VF!! And it's in my area of the country!! Unfortunately, I can't make it. I definitely want to see pictures, though!!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

RubyDuby

I'm going to try to make this happen, but doubt we'll be able to make it. It's just far enough that we'd have to book a hotel and expenses are a bit tight right now.

We will def be coming the first week of Sept though to meet Bryzee and Joeybee.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Ah that sucks ellaminnowpea! Maybe next one!

RubyDuby, I totally understand that. Although I would suggest a hostel over a hotel to save money for any trip, especially in the city.

DiaShel, I'm assuming 27/28 weekend would probably work out best since fondducoeur mentioned the 4th week of June.
    I guess we just have to work out what time we'll meet!

I'm still interested in this and rather unemployed the moment so I'm sure I could make it. I'd love to meet all of you but it seems to be a strictly female event, if you wanna keep it as a gals outing thats quite alright by me. Regardless I'm not 100% sure if I could make it. I'd bring some friends, but I have no vegans

Hm perhaps if I do go I'll take the train in from new haven with my bike and cycle from grand central down there.

^ Good plan, it's only $14 which is decent for that distance on metro north. Seem to be anyway.

There are so many vegan restaurants I want to go to! How will we decide?

eh I only really take the train if I travel alone. Driving ends up being cheaper, I know of a cheap garage in union square area, thats practically the same price as new havens garage and of course it doesn't take that much gas. Although I do have a habit of getting lost in yonkers on my way home. I try to avoid tolls and I always mess it up. Your town is a curse to me, its trying to suck me in.

"lost in yonkers" tee hee.

No way EYF, it's an all vegan event, and who ever else you want to bring!

This looks like a good pizza place. Or we could still meet at Lula's like EYF suggested earlier. Have any other ideas DiaShel?

That does look good Terem. I can't find Lulu's online now. Are they at all close?

EYF, was Stuyvesant Square the public gardens you were talking about? That would be a nice place to eat if it was.

well doesn't that work nicely

not sure, they were on 6th street though. Kinda just behind apartment buildings. But I do like the idea of the pizza place.

I'm going to new york, tomorrow to go cycling with a friend, so we can cover a lot of ground perhaps we'll explore the area and or other areas, if I have time I'll make a list of areas with lots of vegan things and check them out.

Great EYF! Let us know.

Alright diddn't get a chance to go to lulas cos it was closed when I got there hours are like 3-11 on saturdays. I did go to viva Herbal pizza, while it was good, it is a small pizza place with all the small pizza place characteristics, hot, small etc. Food was very good though.

one of the small public gardens, theres a larger one up the street as well. East village is an alright destination, theres coffee, ice cream, food. Theres another sit-down vegetarian restaurant there too I'll have to look it up. Limits are endless for vegan food in the city, just ones wallet might not be endless.

Hey guys. I apologize for not letting you all know sooner, but I won't be able to make it. We have been out of town quite a bit lately and won't have the money for an NYC trip. Like Ruby, I would have to stay overnight also. I hope you all have fun!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

EYF, the pizza looks really good. If it's anything like TJ's in Boston, it should be delicious. I love vegan pizza!

Ah boo! Next meetup then! I guess it will just be the three of us then, and some of your friends EYF?

perhaps some friends, I have to see who is around. I don't really have any non meat eating friends, well my ladyfriend but shes in France till the beginning of july, and my other friend works all the time, but I can see what she's doing,

NYC ice cream and/or pizza meet up, fantastic!
    It isn't set but June 27 or 28 are prospective dates?

Indeed it is timberly!

sorry to butt in but that pizza place looks great, i'm disappointed i missed it on my brief trip to NY last month!

Ah, well you'll just have to come back then!

Next weekend right? Let's pick a day!

Yess, I unfortunately have work on Saturday (6/27), but I get out at 3 and I can be in the city in about an hour. Sunday (6/28) I don't have work, so any time. Both Lula's Sweet Apothecary and Viva Herbal Natural Pizza are open to at least 10 on the weekend days so we can meet whenever.

In addition to which day we have to decide on a time! What works best for everyone?

Oh! I'm going rock climbing on Sunday. Slipped my mind! I'm sorry, I should have said that yesterday when I asked which day

Saturday evening? Around 5 or 6?

Sounds good to me.

As bad as this sounds, I cannot afford transportation seeing as I have yet to find a job. I've overextended myself, so unless I can find $50 (transportation is at-least $30) in pocket change I prob cannot make it.

But alas I would love to meet you guys. I will see if I can get pull together a lil something. If not I know there will be a next time

Ah that sucks. Hope you scrounge up some pocket money, if not we'll certainly see you next time. Good luck with the job hunt!

DiaShel and hopefully timberly (?), we'll meet at 5 at Viva Herbal Pizza and then we'll make our way over to get some ice cream?

I usually end up in ny a lot over the summer so perhaps I'll post something next time I plan on going.

I'm in!

I'll be there!

Y'all is just gonna have to do this again when I come.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

Of coarse Matt!

DiaShel and timberly, I looked at the forecast and it's not supposed to, but in case of rain we'll meet anyway, right?

Yes, I'll come either way

If I let rain stop me I'd have never left the house this month! Rain or shine, I'll be there.

RubyDuby

Quote matt35mm View Post
    Y'all is just gonna have to do this again when I come.
    I thought i had clicked on the "things that sound dirty but aren't" thread, then read this post. I was very confused for a second...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

^

Good thing, so we're all going rain or shine :]