Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breathatarinism

Default Breathatarinism

Has anyone heard of this. I was on craigslist and somehow I came across this... http://hartford.craigslist.org/act/1139332680.html

I just had a serious what the fuck moment. These fools think they can live off of just air. Ummmmmmmmmmmm WHAT?

nature|nurture

Default Re: Breathatarinism

I was asked once whether my veganism was just a step on the way to this breath...ism thing.
    I said that it wasn't.
    The man who asked was disappointed.

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

A few years ago, I read of an Australian woman and a man in NZ who 'were' breatharians. I'm very sceptical of anyone claiming to be breatharian, I need absolute proof it's possible before I believe!

It's not like we Kiwis and Aussies are fruit loops or anything . . . Oh wait! It was a Kiwi who came up with Bungey jumping!!!
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

One or two of that Australian woman's followers were reported to have starved IIRC - we were discussing it a couple of years ago here

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ht=breatharian

Don't know if the links will still work...

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Quote harpy View Post
    One or two of that Australian woman's followers were reported to have starved IIRC - we were discussing it a couple of years ago here

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ht=breatharian

Don't know if the links will still work...
    Yes, it does! If my memory serves, it's the same woman that article was about I read.

I'll stick to being a vegan!
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

cobweb

i've heard of it, yes, but am also sceptical - i wish it would work for me, actually, think of the money i could save on those damn shopping bills!

I know right eating is so inconvenient sometimes, when I was first reading it on this woman's blog it really just sounded like a new way of promoting anorexia which was kinda sad. Of course you'll lose weight if you don't eat!

I'm just gonna say hands down I don't believe in this. I love breathing as much as the next guy, but as a cyclist when I'm riding I'm sure I breathe a lot and I also burn calories which makes me hungry as Fu*ck.

For me, veganism is one step closer to breathatarianism which is one step closer to deathism.

Oh wait, nevermind.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Wow, I can't believe the amount of bullshit I just read. I like not eating, but these people are quite crazy.
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

One time I tried to commit suicide by staying in a meditative state forever.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

world hunger has just been solved. BREATHE

leedsveg

Quote Sarabi View Post
    One time I tried to commit suicide by staying in a meditative state forever.
    What we all want to know is, did you succeed?

Wasn't one of them filmed in McDonalds scoffing a double cheeseburger?

Brooks explains that the "Double Quarter-Pounder with Cheese" meal from McDonald's possesses a special "base frequency" and that he thus recommends it as occasional food for beginning breatharians.
    Last edited by jimmeh; May 6th, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: found a link from Wikipedia

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    world hunger has just been solved. BREATHE
    I know right?

So I totally don't get this breathatarinism...talk about anorexia triggers

She claims that her DNA has expanded from 2 to 12 strands, to "absorb more hydrogen".
    I don't know whether this should make me laugh or bang my head against a wall.
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

bang it against the wall, that is the right thing to do

leedsveg

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Wasn't one of them filmed in McDonalds scoffing a double cheeseburger?
    I perceive it as 'letting nature take its inevitable course' by trying to exist on either:

• nothing;or
    • McDonalds double quarterpounders with cheese.

I'd like to bet that the Breatharian Society has a very rapid turnover of members!

I find it alarming that this Wiley Brooks chap states that consuming cheeseburgers "adds balance". Sounds like a typical binge-purge cycle to me.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/so...iets-0307.html

^ stuff like that seriously scares me...

I prefer mineralarianism.
    Although most people are suprised to hear it, it is possible to live and thrive on a diet consisting entirely of foods of mineral origin. This is because every one of the several dozen nutrients the human body requires - carbohydrate, amino acids, fats, vitamins, and of course minerals - can be synthesized or extracted from air, water, and rock without the involvement of any life form, aside from the chemists who perform these miraculous transformations. The Mineralarians are an international association of people, diverse in other respects, who share the common determination to subsist on foods of mineral origin, thereby sparing our fellow beings the victimization that has been their lot, at our hands for the last million years, and before that at the claws and jaws of previously dominant species.
    "Neptunus, you've finally gone mental." ~ Stu

^ now THAT'S hardcore...

Pilaf

I hate how all these stupid ass fad diets have to add "something arian" to their name. It makes vegetarianism and through proxy, veganism appear to be a similar unhealthy fad when in reality that's far from the truth.

^ Ugh I know exactly what you mean!

That's some pretty fucked up bullshit.

Just bullshit, just people living in their own shit infested disturbia. Don't mind them...

Oy ve, O Hashem!

In the end it's all about money.

The books, seminars, videos. Yup, I actually knew a few nice people who succumbed to such nonsense and forked out for 'knowledge'.

What a joke. Fellow refused food at a social gathering but since he 'enjoys' not 'needs' chocolate had a hot cocoa with a mound of whipped cream to equal 3 sandwiches in calories.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote pat sommer View Post
    As are most things, sadly.

I've read somewhere before about breatharians actually eating but because they enjoy the food not because they need it...but really, don't we all usually eat for enjoyment, isn't that why we have taste buds?
    I love the spiritual, light feeling from fasting and eating small amounts of fruit and veggies but I don't think its a way of life that would leave you grounded enough to actually do real life things like work and pay bills etc. (which could be why theyre all off to mcdonalds for something heavy and greasy to balance it out)
    Also theres a bit on there about how much of your life you waste preparing food..I've recently come to realise how important food preparation is and I like preparing food, I just spend aaages making nori wraps for my lunch and could have just had a quick salad but I enjoy making something for myself, putting time and effort into making something nutritious to show me that I'm worth it. And the love and energy that goes into the preparation gets assimilated with the food so...I've gone off topic a bit here but basically theres no way that way of life, particularly if when you do eat its mcdonalds, can be healthy.

^ I completely agree. The whole idea sounds sort of like a cop out to me. So food prep takes time; get over it. Don't you spend like a third of your life sleeping or something like that? Oh and not to mention the hours and hours we spend waiting for traffic (not that that's necessary to survive but you get my point).

I just don't get some people...

Pilaf

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Again, back to my previous statement - because of bullshit like this some people believe veganism is about money, too. My uncle seems to refuse to believe the whole thing isn't a pyramid scheme of some sort, despite the fact that I volunteer my own time and spend my own money on printed sheets and stuff to raise awareness. I could give two shits about money when it comes to AR.

leedsveg

Quote Eat Y'self Fitter View Post
    Has anyone heard of this. I was on craigslist and somehow I came across this... http://hartford.craigslist.org/act/1139332680.html

I just had a serious what the fuck moment. These fools think they can live off of just air. Ummmmmmmmmmmm WHAT?
    You know what they say "Air today, gone tomorrow."

I'll get my coat.....

Mahk

^ OK that was funny, Leedsveg, but I've just returned from cyberspace to discover this is no laughing matter. Advocates of this nonsense are causing deaths in gullible followers:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...48983626971848

Veganism isn't a pyramid scheme? Then who's getting all my checks?
    context is everything

leedsveg

Quote Mahk View Post
    ^ OK that was funny, Leedsveg, but I've just returned from cyberspace to discover this is no laughing matter. Advocates of this nonsense are causing deaths in gullible followers:

Hi Mahk

It's so obviously such a wacky (but exceedingly rare) belief that its not easy to think how to counter it with logic that will make much difference. If somebody is daft enough to do it, they'll do it. Perhaps if somebody contemplating it sees my derision, they may think again. I know we should all have respect for religious/quasi-religious beliefs but there is a line to be drawn and I've drawn mine. So:

For anybody contemplating breatharianism ie taking in NO FOOD AT ALL, if you do this, YOU WILL DIE WITHIN A VERY SHORT TIME.

THE PEOPLE TELLING YOU TO DO IT ARE CHARLATANS/FOOLS. IF THEY TELL YOU THEY HAVE DONE IT THEMSELVES FOR OVER A MONTH, THEY ARE EITHER LIARS OR VERY WEAK AND ABOUT TO DIE.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Have a nice day

leedsveg

^ Agreed

How does breathatarianism explain thermodynamics as it applies to the human body. Breathatarianism makes as much sense as a perpetual motion machine.

For humans to live, there needs to be an input of usable chemical energy.
    context is everything

Quote Mahk View Post

I was so disappointed to see veganism mentioned in that (her husband was vegan) but to be honest I wasn't in the least bit suprised.

^ Agreed. It's unfortunate when things like this give veganism a bad rep.

......ah, veganism is but one step towards crystal light energy.... and direct photon assimilation.... and angels and fairies and....

sorry, if it sounds new age, I puke.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    I was so disappointed to see veganism mentioned in that (her husband was vegan) but to be honest I wasn't in the least bit suprised.
    Quote baby_vicuņa View Post
    ^ Agreed. It's unfortunate when things like this give veganism a bad rep.
    At first sight, one could claim 'guilt by association'. Anybody with a grain of sense however, would look at the history and record of veganism compared to breatharianism and decide that

• veganism, whatever its perceived faults, tends to promote good health and life
    • breatharianism, whatever its claims, can only logically result in ill health and early death

leedsveg

Zero

60 Minutes Interview and test with Jasmuheen

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=50768

Very silly concept.

If I saw a "breatharian" I would ask them: "So where do your mitochondria get their proteins, sugars, and fats? It's not like these things are just floating around in the air, and even if there were some it wouldn't be in a concentration anywhere near enough to support human life." Presuming that they actually are mostly keeping up with their diet, then I am sure that this would go entirely over their head and start going on with: "Well, I haven't dropped dead yet, have I?" or some sort of spiritual-type explanationf of "the air just provides me with everything I need - I just know it, no evidence needed!"

Unfortunately, I think one reason why some people look at veganism as more of a fad is because there are those who push it in a fad-diet way - so while someone who is eating a vegan diet for health benefits isn't necessarily being obsessive about it or anything like that, someone who is eating a vegan diet and other vegan lifestype factors for the ethical reasons doesn't fall into this category. That doesn't stop people from confusing the two, though.

Yeah, didn't Oprah try "veganism" to lose weight or something? I've had a vegan diet for awhile, but I never called myself a vegan until it was true. I agree QM, people confuse the two a lot.

Yeah, I saw this book promoting a "Quantum Cleanse" that, among other things, eliminated all animal products - I think it was the diet Oprah tried, or that it was the diet that inspired Oprah (I've only ever seen a few episodes so I wouldn't know). I think it also advocated eliminating gluten and refined sugars, for everyone trying the diet, based on some unusual ideas.

Now, I certainly think one can experience positive health effects switching to such a diet, particularly if they were consuming too much meat (healthwise rather than ethical-wise) or fat, not eating enough fruits or veggies, things like that (not to mention, that anybody with an undiagnosed gluten intolerance or coeliac disease would experience benefit). But that doesn't mean that the proposed mechanism to the diet is actually "cleansing" anybody (the book and the author also were very clear on the cyclical nature of this "cleanse" - that it could be a once a year thing for people, very much aligning veganism with fad diets, however much we may think differently about the matter).
    Last edited by Quantum Mechanic; May 23rd, 2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo

Zero

Quote Quantum Mechanic View Post
    If I saw a "breatharian" I would ask them: "So where do your mitochondria get their proteins, sugars, and fats? It's not like these things are just floating around in the air, and even if there were some it wouldn't be in a concentration anywhere near enough to support human life."
    They get it from the food that eat but don't tell anyone about (or they have evolved to some sort of higher state, yeahhhhh..... none of them are willing to actually prove it though are they?)

JC

I don't think it's very fair that people are so judgemental of breatharians. If it's something they really believe in, then it's totally their own choice. Just because it goes against scientific 'law', doesn't make it not true. I'm not saying i advocate this, but look at all the people saying "you get no protein or calcium on a vegan diet blah blah". Well we do, and we're living proof of that. We of all people should know what it's like to be ridiculed for our unorthodox lifestyle.

Quote JC View Post
    Just because it goes against scientific 'law', doesn't make it not true.
    No really, it does.

I think it's totally fair to be judgmental of breatharians, it's encouraging people to do something incredibly dangerous to their health under the pretext of a lie (or at best, delusion).

We may be living proof that a vegan diet is a safe diet but it's also backed up by numerous scientific studies.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    No really, it does.
    ^ This.

Nutrition is available in vegan food. This is a scientific fact. It is not comparable to using air for sustenance.
    "Neptunus, you've finally gone mental." ~ Stu

Zero

Quote JC View Post
    I'm not saying i advocate this, but look at all the people saying "you get no protein or calcium on a vegan diet blah blah". Well we do, and we're living proof of that. We of all people should know what it's like to be ridiculed for our unorthodox lifestyle.
    That is because calcium and protein are abundant in the foods we eat and we can prove it.The American Dietetics Association also states that a well planned vegan diet is suitable for all stages of life.

I take issue more with these breatharian gurus who are "teaching" this to sell books and make money, putting those who choose to believe this amazing sounding doctrine at serious risk.

That is the key difference.

JC

I appreciate what you're saying. But we're talking about something we don't really know anything about. Can't you relate to them even just a bit? People mocking them left right and centre for something they know nothing about. For all we know, they could be sustained with the help of spirits. People dismiss it so freely because it seems totally unnatural. All i'm saying is remember that veganism was once virtually unheard of and also deemed unnatural.