Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Yeah I need to get back into running. I've been so lazy recently. I blame the autumnal weather
    I got sun burnt on Saturday, and it's roasting here today, shorts and t shirt weather!!!!!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

East coast always gets nicer (drier) weather. Glasgow it's rain rain rain all the bloody time. There was a river running down my street on Sunday

^
    I'll grant you Sunday wasn't exactly tropical (or maybe it was) through here, lol!
    But you're right, we get the wind, you get the rain lol!

Quote earthsista View Post
    Your exercises sounds great! I should do some aerobics.
    There are so many dvds out and I am sure you could find free ones online/youtube them. I think they're great because you don't really have any excuses like "it's too cold/hot outside" because you can do it indoors. And some of them are so fun that it's like you're not even exercising
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Today I did an hour of aerobics/boxing/pump

RubyDuby

played badminton for an hour and a half yesterday.
    I need to try harder at staying active. My job is way too inactive...
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Was doing a lot of cardio today and noticed that in exactly the same exercise my heart rate had dropped 15 BPM compared to a few days ago!
    I was pushing it hard and was at 165 at some points, today it never went above 150!!!!!

blargh, havn;t been to the gym in ages...will I go tomorrow, probably not, just been too hectic atm, at least my job keeps me active, on my feet for 7hrs a day must be doing something right?!

^ Oh course it is. You're probably burning like twice the calories of someone that sits at a desk all day.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    played badminton for an hour and a half yesterday.
    I need to try harder at staying active. My job is way too inactive...
    I know what you mean, I sit down all day compared to when I was a vet nurse and on my feet for 8 hrs, it's terrible!

Squigs, you're deffo burning calories while you're on your feet all

And go Gogs

I thought you said
    Quote gogs67 View Post
    my heart rate had dropped to 15 BPM
    and I was like . Glad I read that wrong... *phew*

You go Gogs!!!

Next week I go back to judo, and I'm gonna start running again when the mercury drops to a sensible level *drums fingers*

Quote fiamma View Post
    I thought you said and I was like . Glad I read that wrong... *phew*

You go Gogs!!!

Next week I go back to judo, and I'm gonna start running again when the mercury drops to a sensible level *drums fingers*
    From 'WikiAnswers'

Aside from that, a heart rate at 15 beats per minute is probably ventricular in origin, and is not sustainable for human life. It's fondly termed an "Agonal" rhythm or "Dying Heart".
    If you were to come across an unresponsive person with a heart rate of 15, please start CPR and call 911.

Thankfully you just read my post wrong! In fact, i've a feeling i wouldn't have been posting at all if it had been the case!

Haha, I'm glad it's higher than 15, Gogs!

Yest'day I did an hour of aerobics/boxing and this morning I did 40 mins.

boatsteem1

Yesterday I had my first training session of Shirinji Kempo. It was much fun. It's like a mix of karate and judo, only it's more karate. It's nice to feel those legs aching a bit again because it's been a while ago since I did martial arts

That sounds great, Mazatael!

I did 45 mins on the stationary bike this morning

Quote Kitteh View Post
    That sounds great, Mazatael!

I did 45 mins on the stationary bike this morning
    Is that a bike in the gym?
    Just wondering as i noticed they have calorie counters on the screen with the ones i use, (not that i'm too calorie conscious but it's interesting to see what the workouts doing) and the 15 mins i do on the bike burns off about 120 calories.
    It's the aerobic fitness i'm looking for mind you, that's 4 days this week i've made the gym and it's a nice feeling when the exercises get easier, lol!
    Although, sadly, that's usually a sign to increase the resistance! Boooo.......

We bought one for home, Gogs, but I used to love the stationary bikes at the gym, I think they were a bit more solid/better built compared to the one we have at home. I also don't think the calorie counter/heart rate monitor on ours isn't as accurate, but that's alright!

I was all over the place today at the wedding chapel, for my friend's wedding! I was running around the place lol.

Just got back from a 50 miler with some vicious climbs. Clocked up 130 miles this week.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

On Sunday I did 45 mins of aerobics and on Monday and today I did 60 mins of aerobics/pump

boatsteem1

A bit bruised and arms aching, I just got back from my first Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) I've had for a very long time. It feels awesome to be back in training! BJJ is by far the most effective martial art and all the armbars, leglocks and chokeholds are coming back to me now!

I did 40 mins of aerobics this morning

phact0rri

I'm a lifelong fitness type. Been studying various forms of martial arts since I was a child. Of course my excuse is that if I don't exercise my legs on a regular basis they hurt so bad I can't function. So I found that doing all types of exercise really helps out, and currently I practice Tai Chi along with my other exercises.

I don't have the money currently to go back to a dojo, but I really have been wanting to. I want to study Wushu. I'm not sure if anyone has done it before but its supposed to be a shaolin soft form martial art-- soft form being what I lean towards these days. I throw in some hard form stances every once in a while in my practice, but since I'm a pacifist I don't have as much love for them as I do the softer forms.

Actually today I did a really awesome workout. Normally I only have time for a twenty minute exercise but I had the extra time for a 45 minute exercise today, and I feel so wonderful.

20 minute walk today hehe

boatsteem1

Quote phact0rri View Post
    I'm a lifelong fitness type. Been studying various forms of martial arts since I was a child. Of course my excuse is that if I don't exercise my legs on a regular basis they hurt so bad I can't function. So I found that doing all types of exercise really helps out, and currently I practice Tai Chi along with my other exercises.

I don't have the money currently to go back to a dojo, but I really have been wanting to. I want to study Wushu. I'm not sure if anyone has done it before but its supposed to be a shaolin soft form martial art-- soft form being what I lean towards these days. I throw in some hard form stances every once in a while in my practice, but since I'm a pacifist I don't have as much love for them as I do the softer forms.

Actually today I did a really awesome workout. Normally I only have time for a twenty minute exercise but I had the extra time for a 45 minute exercise today, and I feel so wonderful.
    What kind of martial arts have you done? =)

I've heard about wushu in regards to san shou which is basically a kung fu based type of Chinese kickboxing. But it seems like it can be a bit of everything when it comes to Chinese martial arts.

phact0rri

Quote mazatael View Post
    What kind of martial arts have you done? =)

I've heard about wushu in regards to san shou which is basically a kung fu based type of Chinese kickboxing. But it seems like it can be a bit of everything when it comes to Chinese martial arts.
    I've mostly done chinese martial arts. I started out doing a karate form (Goju Ryu) when I was young, and after my dad left my mum I didn't for a while. I got back into it when I was about fifteen or so and studied Wing Chun, and hakka for most of my later years of High school (years 10-13). I did a little judo, and ninjitzu between formalized school and university, but I never stuck long enough to learn to much, and then about five years ago I decided I really needed an area of focus and really got into buddhist styles mainly Tai Chi which I've practiced now for a solid four years.

The Wushu I really am interested in learning is actually the Shaolinquan stuff. And yeah Wushu is Kung fu, a very generalized term. wasn't sure how much I could talk about this stuff in this particular thread

20 minute walk again lol, I guess it's better than nothing?

Something is always better than nothing, good work, Lisa!

And I did 30 mins of aerobics today

I need to start exercising as I do nothing and I feel unfit. I also want to loose half a stone by next summer which may not sound a lot but I think I will struggle to do that without exercising regularly.

I am thinking of taking up cycling - does that burn many calories do you think?

Quote Linxie View Post
    I need to start exercising as I do nothing and I feel unfit. I also want to loose half a stone by next summer which may not sound a lot but I think I will struggle to do that without exercising regularly.

^Cycling 15 miles in an hour will burn off roughly 800 calories, 10 miles 540 calories.
    So if you work out how many calories you need per day to function (basal metabolic rate), stick to eating that, and cycle every day then the weight will fly off! I think about 3500 calories burned per 1lb of weight loss.
    So to lose half a stone follow that plan for 7 weeks!!!!!
    Cycling 5-6.5 mph
    Cycling 6.5-8 mph
    Cycling 8-8.5 mph
    Cycling 10 mph
    Cycling 12 mph
    Cycling 13 mph
    Cycling 14 mph
    Cycling 15 mph
    Cycling 16 mph
    Cycling 20 mph
    Cycling 22 mph
    Cycling 24 mph
    Cycling 28 mph
    Cycling 30 mph

Great thanks! I am borrowing a bike off a friend hopefully next week so I'll see how I go!

I am bridesmaid for my sister next August so I have a year to work on this. I am not sure if such a long target is a good or bad thing!

^ You wont cycle 10/15 miles straight away anyway, build up to that, a mile or 2 the first day, 2 to 3 the second and so on!
    By a week or so you will be doing that amount, the important thing is sticking to the plan though.
    'Diets' dont work long term, what does work is eating the right amount to function, not less, and then any exercise over and above that will burn off weight!
    Healthy eating combined with exercise is simple and works, but it takes a bit of dedication and doesn't make money for companies pushing diet products or books, so it's kinda gone out of fashion!

I think I have a pretty healthy diet. My problem is definitely a lack of exercise! I have no motivation for it but I think I have persuaded my boyfriend to come cycling with me so that might help. We'll see....

boatsteem1

Did you know that you burn as many calories in a sauna as when you're having a fast walk?

Quote mazatael View Post
    Did you know that you burn as many calories in a sauna as when you're having a fast walk?
    So walking around in a sauna is a good way to lose weight?

boatsteem1

Quote phact0rri View Post
    I've mostly done chinese martial arts. I started out doing a karate form (Goju Ryu) when I was young, and after my dad left my mum I didn't for a while. I got back into it when I was about fifteen or so and studied Wing Chun, and hakka for most of my later years of High school (years 10-13). I did a little judo, and ninjitzu between formalized school and university, but I never stuck long enough to learn to much, and then about five years ago I decided I really needed an area of focus and really got into buddhist styles mainly Tai Chi which I've practiced now for a solid four years.

The Wushu I really am interested in learning is actually the Shaolinquan stuff. And yeah Wushu is Kung fu, a very generalized term. wasn't sure how much I could talk about this stuff in this particular thread
    I can speak martial arts all day long I've been into MMA for nine years now, although I haven't trained it all too much. I've trained kickboxing on a low level for seven years and done some Brazilian jiu-jitsu. And now I've started Shorinji Kempo. On sunday I'll also try out kampjujutsu which is a Swedish form of judo involving punches and kicks. I've this fixation that I would like to compete in MMA at least once

You've tried a lot of martial arts! Which one would be your favorite?

boatsteem1

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Sounds ideal Try not to overheat!

I'm not healthy today LOL... I'm making chocolate fudge brownies.

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Please don't! Expecially if you have any medical conditions.

RubyDuby

going for a walk in the park with a completely untrained hyperactive 8 month old shep/x. Should be an interstesting work-out.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

boatsteem1

Quote cookey View Post
    Please don't! Expecially if you have any medical conditions.
    You seem like a person who should know. I'd like to ask you, I used to to sit-ups and push-ups in the sauna before, is that a bad thing, and if so, why?

boatsteem1

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    going for a walk in the park with a completely untrained hyperactive 8 month old shep/x. Should be an interstesting work-out.
    Good luck!

I just came home from three hours of swimming in the bathhouse. Feels very good!

phact0rri

Quote mazatael View Post
    I can speak martial arts all day long I've been into MMA for nine years now, although I haven't trained it all too much. I've trained kickboxing on a low level for seven years and done some Brazilian jiu-jitsu. And now I've started Shorinji Kempo. On sunday I'll also try out kampjujutsu which is a Swedish form of judo involving punches and kicks. I've this fixation that I would like to compete in MMA at least once

You've tried a lot of martial arts! Which one would be your favorite?
    Jui-Jitzu always looked like a lot of fun. I always wanted to get involved maybe I will sometime. Course right now I live in a Korean section Los Angeles so there's all sorts of dojos around me-- just not brazillian ones!

oh right on about MMA, I like the idea behind it but never gave it much thought. Kempo always seemed to be very good on the body, help with flexability a bit? The Kamjujutsu sounds interesting, is it more military like?

Well I've really found something in Tai Chi, it feels right for me at this present time. but there's been a lot of Martial arts that are just amazing.

Quote mazatael View Post
    You seem like a person who should know. I'd like to ask you, I used to to sit-ups and push-ups in the sauna before, is that a bad thing, and if so, why?
    I am a specialist level 4 fitness instructor qualified to exercise higher risk clients who have heart conditions, among other things. I think I know some things, but can get things wrong like anyone!
    My understanding is that your body is already using it resources to cool itself down and you therefor wouldn't want to put any further pressure on the system. Dehydration is also a problem in saunas and exercise in addition will add to this.
    I imagine you are a young and fairly fit person and have obviously survived the experience, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Linxie View Post

Yes! I think cycling is a great way of exercising. It's more fun than running, as I'm not a runner and it feels like you're working out more than walking, even though I love walking. Use the wedding next year as your motivation and encourage your bf or a friend to go with you, a friend and I have paired up to go for walks and it's been a lot more fun than going on my own.

Yest'day I did 70 mins of aerobics and today I did 30 mins.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    Yes! I think cycling is a great way of exercising. It's more fun than running, as I'm not a runner and it feels like you're working out more than walking, even though I love walking. Use the wedding next year as your motivation and encourage your bf or a friend to go with you, a friend and I have paired up to go for walks and it's been a lot more fun than going on my own.

Yest'day I did 70 mins of aerobics and today I did 30 mins.
    According to my son I chose cycling because I wanted a form of fitness training you can do sitting down.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

boatsteem1

Quote cookey View Post
    I am a specialist level 4 fitness instructor qualified to exercise higher risk clients who have heart conditions, among other things. I think I know some things, but can get things wrong like anyone!
    My understanding is that your body is already using it resources to cool itself down and you therefor wouldn't want to put any further pressure on the system. Dehydration is also a problem in saunas and exercise in addition will add to this.
    I imagine you are a young and fairly fit person and have obviously survived the experience, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.
    Thanks for the info!

I'll try not to do it again

Today I've had two hours of kampjujutsu and BJJ. Only sparring, and there were some really good guys there with very good ground control. They make you feel like an amateur

I did 50 mins of aerobics this morning, I wanted to do a bit more but I'm donating blood later and don't want to be dehydrated, now off to drink lots of water!

Good on you for donating blood girl! I donated blood last month.

My veins are hard to find, so they tried one arm yest'day but ended up taking the needle out so I went back today but the same thing happened Will have to try again next month