Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

That's the way of the world unfortunately, people are always looking for a quick fix and companies are happy to exploit it ruthlessly.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Why not cut out fat without the pill?
    Yes, that was my argument

Quote Jiffy View Post
    That's the way of the world unfortunately, people are always looking for a quick fix and companies are happy to exploit it ruthlessly.
    Here is what I don't understand though. People will go on these ridiculous diets (ex: eating nothing but cabbage soup or only drinking shakes, etc) but simply eating good healthy foods must be easier! Yet, they think we're the crazy ones Tell a person "just drink these slim fast shakes and you'll lose weight" and they think great, tell them to eat fresh fruits, veggies, whole grains and maybe some soy and they look at you like you're nuts
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

puca

Quote Jiffy View Post
    I think you'll find that if you improve your fitness the weight will sort itself out, up to a point.
    Nope, I have attended gyms in the past, been through periods where I was physically active, my weight has stayed the same

What's even worse is you can buy a watered down version of Orlistat over the counter. That's the new 'Alli' thing that is taking over Chemists etc.

I find it sick that that's possible. I have less of a problem with people who are very, very, overweight taking something that is very strong like that, but people who are just a bit on the chubby side can by Alli.

It basically works by stopping your body absorbing fat, which is what causes the rampant pooping if you eat anything fatty as the fat just greases up your digestive tract.

It really seems to work on the same principle as those drugs alcoholics take them making them very sick if they drink any alcohol... by punishing people for eating 'the wrong things'

But, having said that, it's hardly the most evil thing GSK have ever done, is it?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

*live*&*let*live

Well Antibuse does make you really very very sick (I have seen clients on it and it is not very nice believe me when they drink on that) Orlistat/Alli makes you always need to know that there is a toilet close to hand. It is nigh on impossible to eat everything with no fat in it! Even a small amount of fat consumed on Orlistat will make you 'go'. TMI but like small globules of fat in the loo. It's terrible.

Well, mother is on day three of Orlistat and she's fine so far. I did the talk with her about just cutting down on fat without the tablets, and she did admit that it was the sensible thing to do. But, she feels that she needs the "fear" of having a bad reaction to get her to cut down. She thinks she will stop taking the tablets in a couple of months once she has (and I quote) "re-learned how to eat".

On her menu tonight is vegan vegetable curry with rice. Result!

cobweb

^ he-he, ah well, it can't be all that bad then, eh?

nature|nurture

Now that I have a teeny tiny crush on my fitness instructor I enjoy the gym even more than I used to.

^ It's so hard not to get crushes on them. I remember my spin instructer was just so nice to look at.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

i'm joining in again

just came across an interesting article, and thought i'd share it here:

How to Overcome Sticking Points in Exercise and Diet

In any area of life there are always ups and downs. Sure it’s easy to feel great and do things as planned when things are going well, but how you respond to hardship is a much better indicator of your character and leadership skills – any day!
    For instance, for some reason the soccer on which I play has now gone 3 games without a win. In fact, it’s been 3 bad losses! It’s a bit of a scary proposition considering the power of momentum. It could be very easy for us to continue sliding from our current 2nd place all the way to the bottom of the table. This is definitely a “sticking point” for us right now.
    But the question is…
    “How do we refocus and take action to get out of this rut?”
    And the same thing goes for exercise and eating well.
    No one is perfect and eventhough we all say that we’re going to exercise ‘x’ number of times per week and eat as clean as possible, it doesn’t always happen that way, right?
    But what do you do if you miss a few workouts or have a few glutenous meals?
    How do you respond? Do you figure, “Oh what the heck!” and continue down the slippery slope or do you immediately bounce back onto the healthy path?
    Whichever way you respond, you need to realize that the most important thing is to simply learn from your mistakes and continue moving forward. Here are a few ways that can help:
    1. Let Go
    Forget about your mistakes!
    What good (besides feeling sorry for yourself) does living in the past actually do? None! Therefore, whatever happened yesterday or the week before is history. Even if you sat on the couch and ate pizza and ice cream all week, just let it be and get moving forward. Yes, it will be tougher to get that positive momentum going again but when would NOW be a good time to start?
    2. Keep your goals (and reasons WHY) visible
    Whenever “poop” hits the fan it can be helpful to re-energize by reviewing those important goals that you originally set for yourself. After all, there is a reason you set them in the first place. Perhaps even more important is to really connect with those reasons for which it is a must that achieve your goals. Losing 20 lbs is great but if that doesn’t emotionally charge you up, then it will be tough to achieve.
    But if you have tons of reasons WHY losing 20 lbs will change your life, then now you’ve got the power to overcome any obstacle – no matter what!
    3. Realize that you deserve whatever you want!
    Many people have a “programmed” belief that they are not good enough to achieve true success – whether that be weight loss, incredible health, financial success, or anything else. If that’s you – it’s gotta stop!
    You need to realize that YOU ARE AMAZING and were put on this planet with incredible gifts that were meant to be fully realized. Who do you help by poor, unhealthy, unfit, and miserable? No one!
    So instead of making great progress and then sabotaging yourself, why not truly believe that deserve what you’re after. But this really needs to be something you believe in your gut. If you only think you deserve success but don’t truly believe it, then you’ll lose out.
    Go deep and introspect and determine now that you will no longer settle for mediocrity. Unleash your greatness today!

source: http://myfitteru.com/blog/2009/07/ho...cise-and-diet/
    Life is about having to change ... Taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

Blew it again last night. Went out for drinks and dinner before. Had a vegan BLT, glass of wine, can of beer and a pineapple vodka and then at the place they had marshmallow treats so I had some vegan smores and rocky road bark. I was doing so so well... This weekend I'm going to a vegan event too. Damn it, I can't resist vegan goodies especially when drinks are involved.

I need help... After a month of diet and excerise I've gotten fatter (not only by scale but clothes too). I feel like I have no control and that scares the hell out of me.

DiaShel, please don't let yourself feel bad about a setback. Since the end of the school term, the change in my routine has meant that I have drunk too much alcohol and snacked at all the wrong times, and gained weight. So, I just refocus and start again. Hopefully, it's not the end of the world, and we can always begin over.
    I wonder if the kind of exercise you have been doing has been increasing muscle tone, and that is why you are heavier and maybe a bit bulkier than before? Maybe look at the stuff you are doing, and have a change for a while.
    So, take a moment, take a deep breath, and take back the control!

Another thought, about the sensation of losing control - have you looked at Flower Essences? There are some you can take for moments when you think you are about to lose control, and when you are making the same mistakes over again. They seem to help me maintain emotional stability, which is always a good thing.

Thanks Helen... it's just I've been so good! Maybe one time a week I go off my diet and eat things I shouldn't but I think think that's not so horrible! My excerise is mostly rock climbing so it would increase muscle BUT it's my pants that have told me I'm not losing/gaining weight. They remain/stay way too tight.
    What is flower essences? I'm intrigued.

I forgot this thread! I'm joining again

I've started exercising again once a day...special exercises I found for Rheumatoid Atheritis, even though they are not sure that is what I've got it is the closest thing!

I'm waiting for my letter so I can get swimming for cheap so haven't been for ages!

Plus trying to get more calcium/B12. Although I'm not sure what has calcium in, soya products I know, and almonds and leafy greens but it is getting very repetative eating the same thing everyday! lol

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I need help... After a month of diet and excerise I've gotten fatter (not only by scale but clothes too). I feel like I have no control and that scares the hell out of me.
    The lack of control is what gets me too. But a friend and I went for a walk together yesterday and we're determined to try and exercise together as motivation and to be as positive as possible. Instead of "I only did 20 mins today" we'll try and be "Woo! I did 20 mins today!"

You seem like you are really focused, Dia, I am sure you can get yourself back on track. I tend to eat more when it's a vegan-specific event too and it's not like you go to events everyday, so just know you will get back to your eating plan after the next event.

So after doing little to no exercise in the last month or two, I did a walk yest'day and 40 mins of aerobics this morning
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Thanks Kitteh, it's just that I feel like I am doing everything right. I've worked out 6 times a week and if I ate less I don't think it'd be healthy. I don't know what else to do so I feel stuck.

Good for you, that's a great plan! I'm sure you'll be right back on track, we've all had our lulls where you stop exercising a while for whatever reason. The hardest thing is those first couple of weeks of making yourself do it. After that it comes natural. At least for me that's how it is.

John and I are eating really well again (lots of fruits, veggies and wholegrains and organic wherever possible). Plus we are going for a walk every night. I find the walking's not only good for exercise, it really helps with depression.

Cycled 25 miles today, the knee held up during it but i'm feeling a couple of twinges now!
    Got physio tomorrow, the circumference of the bad leg is now a half inch more than my left leg which is a great sign but has taken a lot of sweat and tears to get there. I'm def feeling the muscle is taking far more of the impact than the actual knee now though!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Thanks Kitteh, it's just that I feel like I am doing everything right. I've worked out 6 times a week and if I ate less I don't think it'd be healthy. I don't know what else to do so I feel stuck.

Good for you, that's a great plan! I'm sure you'll be right back on track, we've all had our lulls where you stop exercising a while for whatever reason. The hardest thing is those first couple of weeks of making yourself do it. After that it comes natural. At least for me that's how it is.
    I had times like that, where I felt like I was exercising and eating well but still not losing weight. Do you keep a food diary/track your calories?

And thanks, I did 25 mins on the stationary bike this morning. I didn't want to get out of bed but I convinced myself it was better to do it this morning rather than this afternoon when I feel tired. So I just have to keep convincing myself until I get back into it!

Rocket Queen

Today I grafted by shifting a load of rubble for my friend who is too injured to do it herself, and did a 25 minute run
    I have eaten fairly healthily (salad with beans/soup)
    But I am having a pint of cider now. Ah well.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I had times like that, where I felt like I was exercising and eating well but still not losing weight. Do you keep a food diary/track your calories?
    Yep, I track them on fitday.com I'm eating about 1400-1500 a day.

Ok, I seem to be losing some weight. PHEW!

So I thought I'd have a cliff builders bar before my climbing today because I haven't been having much protein. I had the most awful cramps!! I haven't been eating any processed food lately, mostly fruit. Guess I just can't handle it anymore.

That doesn't sound good, DiaShel :S

Yest'day I did 40 mins of aerobics and this morning a friend and I went for a 45 min walk. I also ordered some more aerobics dvds (Davina's), a fitness ball and a set of hand weights.

My shins were so sore yest'day so I rested and this morning I did 55 mins of aerobics

I climbed 3 hours at the gym yesterday. It was great. Today I'm doing a short but very tough hike.

I've been making sure to drink 8 cups of water every day. It's not as easy as I thought it would be, BUT my skin is looking better already, and I've only been at it for 3 days so far

DiaShel - 3 hours, wow!

Roxy - it's easy to forget to drink water, isn't it. And 8 cups is a lot when you count them!

I did 35 mins on the stationary bike this morning

Quote Roxy View Post
    I've been making sure to drink 8 cups of water every day. It's not as easy as I thought it would be, BUT my skin is looking better already, and I've only been at it for 3 days so far
    You know the easiest way I've found of doing this? Drinking a glass every other hour. Lots of people have suggested every hour, but I find this is actually more than I need, and by the afternoon I find I'm full of water and don't want to drink any more. So, now I have a drink at 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm & 9pm. This gives me my 8 glasses over the course of the day, without me feeling bloated.

In other fitness news, I'm tempted by the couch potato to 5k plan, but I don't have anyone to job with, and I don't really want to be running in the wilderness on my own
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Whoa. I missed the part about why you are drinking 8 glasses a day. I never drink that much... maybe 4-5 glasses worth in summer. Should I? Hmm...

I have never been in very good shape..... Lately I have been working on push-ups. I can't go all the way down on a normal push-up, so my goal for the next month or two is to be able to do that. Right now I'm a little sore from doing push-ups last night. If I get this down, I will be really happy because I don't think I've ever been able to do a complete push-up... and because my Aikido instructor has been trying to get me to work on them for a long time now.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    You know the easiest way I've found of doing this? Drinking a glass every other hour. Lots of people have suggested every hour, but I find this is actually more than I need, and by the afternoon I find I'm full of water and don't want to drink any more. So, now I have a drink at 7am, 9am, 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm & 9pm. This gives me my 8 glasses over the course of the day, without me feeling bloated.
    That's actually a really good idea! Thanks

That is a good idea, Ms_Derious. I find I am constantly refilling my cup with green or peppermint tea and I drink water in the evening too.

Yest'day I did 55 mins of aerobics and this arvo a friend and I are going for a walk

I'm drinking more water now.... good on me! :P

Finally have my leisure card for swimming! Woo! And I'm doing my loosening/strengthening exercises in the morning...and I'm walking a lot in my new Earth shoes which means my legs don't hurt as much. Hurrah!!

I got my bloods back from the doctor, supposedly my calcium is "a little low" which isn't surprising as I didn't even check my calcium level before I went to that appointment, or eat any products that contained it, except a bit of soya milk in drinks.

I now have to have a vitamin D check...I must go dance in the sun more...I have a vegan multi vitamin now though but it is only the one by Seven Seas...but I can't be bothered to have a pill for B12, a pill for calcium ugh plus I've tried those and they make me feel REALLY ILL. Seven seas is only one that doesn't make me chuck up, oh, and my iodine pill. lol

But I'm now eating better anyway...I've started eating brown rice and quinoa again. At least two forms of B12/Calcium a day, along with lots of nuts seeds, a varity of vegetables/fruit &&& my fave legumes...yummy chickpeas and so on.

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    Finally have my leisure card for swimming! Woo! And I'm doing my loosening/strengthening exercises in the morning...and I'm walking a lot in my new Earth shoes which means my legs don't hurt as much. Hurrah!!
    How good are Earth sneakers? I love mine and I feel like I walk better and my knees/back are no longer as sore.

And good work on the blood results and healthier eating!

Yest'day my friend and I walked for 45 mins.

After two consistent months of very regular exercise and a strict diet I've lost about 3 pounds (or not even, depending on the day) Well, actually it's been over a year, but I've been very consistent for 2 months.

(You all must be so tired of my whining about not losing weight)

One of my current health kicks is not using the car apart from to collect the weekly shop... however, it's just started bucketing down and I have an appointment later on this morning... I'll need to decide if I should break my rule or just deal with getting rained on.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Not at all... I used to drip on about it all the time. Difference being that I really didn't eat in a healthful way, and TBH, it's no wonder I didn't lose weight! You look very slender in your profile pic... so I shouldn't worry too much

^ Yeah but it was taken before I put on the 10 pounds I want to lose

Quote DiaShel View Post
    After two consistent months of very regular exercise and a strict diet I've lost about 3 pounds (or not even, depending on the day) Well, actually it's been over a year, but I've been very consistent for 2 months.

No we're not! It doesn't seem to make sense either, you do a lot of exercise and eat well!

Yest'day I did aerobics for 45 mins.

^ That's what I'm saying! It's making me nuts!

I hope you figure it out, DiaShel, I would be frustrated as well.

Today I did 50 mins of aerobics/pump

I did an hour of aerobics/boxing/pump/core work this morning

You go girl!

Thanks

I did an hour of aerobics/pump this morning

Your exercises sounds great! I should do some aerobics.

Went to the gym this morning as part of the physio, did an hour of weights and half hour on the step/treadmill/rowing machine.
    As i was unlocking my bike after it i couldn't believe the amount of folk that climbed into their cars outside though, lol!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Yeah I need to get back into running. I've been so lazy recently. I blame the autumnal weather