Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I lost a few inches off my waist but none off my bust or hips. I'm worried I'm going to look out of proportion if I don't lose inches off the hips and bust. My waist is almost ten inches smaller. :/
    You should be okay, my waist is 12 inches smaller than my hips, and I don't think I look that freakish . Anyone please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong.

BlackCats

Quote DiaShel View Post
    If you want something challenging try Billy Banks Advance Tae Bo. It's an hour. 35 minutes of punching, kicking stuff, then like 15 minutes of butt work on the floor (I skip some because it's extensive! My ass gets so sore the next day), like 5 of abs (you are actually working abs the whole time though), tiny bit of stretching and a silly cool down which I never do. If it's too hard you can start with the basic, mine have both on one DVD along with instructional and some 8 minutes workout I think which I never use.
    Sorry, I'm such a Tae-Bo spokes-person.
    I ordered one of Billy Blank's videos from Amazon for 1 pence! and I found another one in a charity shop for £1 yesterday. I'm going to give it a try later today. (I got the first two basic ones, not the advanced ones DiaShel.)

^ Hope you love it!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I tried the rowing machine for the first time at the gym last night....I've worked muscles I didn't know I had! (i normally head for the treadmill/cross trainer). i would recommend as a good workout (esp for bingo wings - they're hurting especially today hehe).

That's 11 weeks now since i tore the cartilage in my knee and it's getting depressing that there's so many things i can't do that i used to take for granted!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

cobweb

sorry to hear that, gogs, how frustrating

i had a 40 minute swim yesterday and did some Jacknife exercises
    today i've cut the grass and manually trimmed the edges of the lawn
    i'm going to use my light weights later

am still not eating a huge amount but have stopped losing weight again
    maybe i will try and eat a little more and see if i can confuse my metabolism

I think that's not a bad idea, cobweb. I find that the more exercise I do, the less weight I lose. If I sit on the couch doing nothing all day, that's when I lose.

RubyDuby

because muscle is heavy! gaining weight isn't bad if you're working out.

I have fallen off the exercise horse... haven't been feeling well the past few days. I think I have vertigo or hypochondria.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

^suppose so. Not sure if I'm gaining muscle though, I'm just doing some jogging. I drink loads and loads of water when I'm exercising. It may be something to do with retention

BlackCats

That Tae Bo video is difficult. I couldn't be bothered to learn the exercises at the end first () so I just did it straight away but I only managed about 20 minutes. It was fun though. I will do it properly in a couple of days time. I also did about 10 minutes trampolining and 30 minutes walking. I'm feeling really tired today because it's hot here.

cobweb

i'm never sure about the muscle weighing more thing - a pound of flesh is a pound of flesh, whether muscle or fat.............

i suppose it's more that muscle takes up less space and is more dense really, hmm.

my boobs have gone down a size so that's something!

it's been hot here, too, BC - 16 degrees (which my husband claims isn't hot for June but i say it is!)

Zero

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat anymore than a 1lb of lead weighs more than 1lb of cotton. As you say, muscle is more dense so 1lb of muscle takes up less physical space than 1lb of fat.

I say just keep training and monitor your body's change in composition over time and spend less time worrying out the scales

RubyDuby

Quote Zero View Post
    Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat anymore than a 1lb of lead weighs more than 1lb of cotton.
    you know what i meant.

plus, having muscle is better for your metabolism. (i'm sure you can word that better too )

Zero

I wasn't knocking you, it's just that phrase is slightly confusing

(I was actually responding to cobweb's comment anyway)

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    because muscle is heavy! gaining weight isn't bad if you're working out.

Muscle is heavy. If you gain muscle, you gain weight. The wording is fine.

Quit worrying about weight . Concentrate on improving fitness. Gauge your fitness by how capable you are at doing something.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    That Tae Bo video is difficult. I couldn't be bothered to learn the exercises at the end first () so I just did it straight away but I only managed about 20 minutes. It was fun though. I will do it properly in a couple of days time. I also did about 10 minutes trampolining and 30 minutes walking. I'm feeling really tired today because it's hot here.
    It only takes a few times to get significantly easier. Stick with you, you'll love it!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

RubyDuby

Quote Zero View Post
    I wasn't knocking you, it's just that phrase is slightly confusing

(I was actually responding to cobweb's comment anyway)
    oops, sorry. didn't see cobweb's comment at first.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    you know what i meant.

plus, having muscle is better for your metabolism. (i'm sure you can word that better too )
    When you gain muscle the number of calories your body burns at rest increases!

That ok?

RubyDuby

perfecto.

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercise one can do at home in a fairly small lounge? All work out DVDs seem to assume that one lives in some kind of huge mansion... Nope, I hardly have room for a single grape, let alone a whole vine of them!

I used to have an exercise bike, and a stepper, but the bike took up too much room, and the stepper always seemed a little dangerous. I also want something at least vaguely fun... I know me, I'll give up anything that's just a grind.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    It only takes a few times to get significantly easier. Stick with you, you'll love it!
    That's so very true. When I started hula hooping I could only keep the hoop up for about 5-10 seconds. I can now spin and move while hulahooping (if I'm outside!), and the other day I tried to see how long I could keep it spinning for, and I stopped when I got bored after about 30 mins.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for exercise one can do at home in a fairly small lounge? All work out DVDs seem to assume that one lives in some kind of huge mansion... Nope, I hardly have room for a single grape, let alone a whole vine of them!

I used to have an exercise bike, and a stepper, but the bike took up too much room, and the stepper always seemed a little dangerous. I also want something at least vaguely fun... I know me, I'll give up anything that's just a grind.

The very thread!
    http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...=exercise+home

Awww, thanks Gogs

Hope the knee feels better soon. Have a lot of knee problems myself, they aren't fun!

Awww, thanks Gogs

Hope the knee feels better soon. Have a lot of knee problems myself, they aren't fun!
    Cheers!

It's the mental side of the rehabilitation i'm finding difficult.
    The thought my knee may never be 100% again prays on my mind a lot, and the actual physiotherapy to build up muscle round the damaged area is very demanding as well, mentally, having to trust in the fact that the pain i'm putting myself through is for the long term good.
    Yer body's automatic defense against pain is to hide and rest, not move in ways that actually cause discomfort!
    There are billions of people in the world though who would be well happy with only having that to worry about so just need to get on with it!

Yes, mentally it can be difficult. It's the unknown quantity/time frame that can be hardest. How long will this last? Is this normal? How can I gauge what pain is just 'reconditioning' and what pain is my body sagely telling me to rest up.

Don't give up hope on a full recovery. They told me when I was 15 I'd never walk again because of the damage to my legs. I walk just fine now. Everysooften my knee pops or doesn't lock, but it's not as bad as they told me it would be.

Ms Derious, my kitchen groundspace measures precisely 2 metres x 2.5 metres. It's the perfect size for my trampoline that I use for jogging. I do half an hour every day and you can vary the pace. I listen to the radio or my ipod to prevent boredom, but I have a great view across the garden and that usually does me fine x

cobweb

yet again i am sidelined from exercise as i now have whiplash to add my problems (*sigh*)

Quote cobweb View Post
    yet again i am sidelined from exercise as i now have whiplash to add my problems (*sigh*)
    Oh no! What happened? ((((Cobweb))))

I've got a new tacktic...i've worn my heart rate monitor to work today and i'm trying not to out eat it.
    burned 1057 cals so far today and eaten 700 so hopefully that will speed up my weight loss coz i've been the same weight for last 3 weeks now grrr.... after my initial 9 lbs loss i've come to standstill

cobweb

Oh no! What happened? ((((Cobweb))))

thanks
    A super-tractor with wide load smashed into the front/side of our car when i was driving a couple of days ago

I've started running every night. It's about a 5 mile run there and back. I have a running partner for extra encouragement and it's going really well

Yes, mentally it can be difficult. It's the unknown quantity/time frame that can be hardest. How long will this last? Is this normal? How can I gauge what pain is just 'reconditioning' and what pain is my body sagely telling me to rest up.

Don't give up hope on a full recovery. They told me when I was 15 I'd never walk again because of the damage to my legs. I walk just fine now. Everysooften my knee pops or doesn't lock, but it's not as bad as they told me it would be.
    Cheers!

Just gotback from a very hot & hilly 5 hours in the saddle. The heat was grim indeed. I can see why people choose not to wear a magic hat, it was OK on the descents as there was some airflow but the rest of the time I thought my brains were going to boil.

I will now probably stuff myself spherical with quinoa and undo all the hard work.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Ms Derious, my kitchen groundspace measures precisely 2 metres x 2.5 metres. It's the perfect size for my trampoline that I use for jogging. I do half an hour every day and you can vary the pace. I listen to the radio or my ipod to prevent boredom, but I have a great view across the garden and that usually does me fine x
    How high is your ceilling? When you're on your trampoline, do you get too close to the ceilling?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

How high is your ceilling? When you're on your trampoline, do you get too close to the ceilling?
    Nope, my ceiling is about 7.5 ft high and I'm 6ft, but it's not a particularly springy trampoline. Especially when I'm running, I don't bounce too much

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I did an hour of yoga and about an hour and a half of rock climbing. Then I came home and eat a double veggie burgers with grilled onions, BBQ sauce, lots of avocado and a bunch of jelly flavored peanuts. Damn it!
    That burger sounds so gooooood!

I did 35 mins of aerobics this morning.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    I've got a new tacktic...i've worn my heart rate monitor to work today and i'm trying not to out eat it.
    burned 1057 cals so far today and eaten 700 so hopefully that will speed up my weight loss coz i've been the same weight for last 3 weeks now grrr.... after my initial 9 lbs loss i've come to standstill
    That's a good idea, I'll have to find where I put mine and try wearing it for a day.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I'm excited. My roommate and I are going to start doing "midnight" runs. Any advice for newbies that have never really been runners before?

Zero

That's cool Lifeonmars, it all depends what exactly you are looking to acheive. Check out Runners World - there is lots of good information there: http://www.runnersworld.com

One of the key things is having the right shoes, especially if you plan to do a lot of running. There is a guide on the RW website that helps you to detemine how your foot is shaped etc.

Quote Lifeonmars View Post
    I'm excited. My roommate and I are going to start doing "midnight" runs. Any advice for newbies that have never really been runners before?
    My best advice is try and stick at it!
    Start off slow, walking even, and build up distances done, alternate between walking and jogging every 500 yards.
    Get a routine of running certain days/nights and keep to it, make that your priority.
    It's all too easy after a few weeks to find an excuse not to do it one night - oh it's too cold, oh it's too hot, i'm too tired, TV is good, am waiting on a phone call, the contents of the fridge look interesting etc etc. and suddenly you will relise you havn't actually ran for a week or so!
    Force yourself to go out when you feel an excuse coming on,believe me, you will enjoy it, feel the benefit and be glad you made the effort!

Quote Zero View Post
    That's cool Lifeonmars, it all depends what exactly you are looking to acheive. Check out Runners World - there is lots of good information there: http://www.runnersworld.com

One of the key things is having the right shoes, especially if you plan to do a lot of running. There is a guide on the RW website that helps you to detemine how your foot is shaped etc.
    There are also some specialist shops you can go to and have your foot and running and walking style assesed. We have one in Bristol (bottom of St Michaels hill) but I don't know about other parts of the world.

Zero

Indeed Cookey good point, Up & Running here in Birmingham does Gait Analysis which some people find useful to see if they are an Normal, Under or Over Pronator. If someone has never done any running before it is a good idea.

Since I have a normal arch (not a high arch or flat foot) I just go with a neutral shoe, but since I am so tall I make sure I get extra cushioning like with a gel sole.

Not sure what part of WA you are in Lifeonmars but Fairhaven Runners in Bellingham is a good store that does analysis, I bought some shoes from there myself back when I lived on Bainbridge Island.

I just bought a new pair of Asics Nimbus Gel shoes and they are like running on air compared to my old shoes, I was clearly long over due for new ones!

I did 30 mins on the bike on Wednesday and I am hoping to do the same this arvo

I can't believe it, i've been so good since april, training hard, regularly at the gym ( 3 x a week) and now my race for life in on wednesday coming and all of a sudden i've missed my first ever gym session and went for an indian instead! why have i gone off the rails and how do i get back on....i 'm supposed to go to gym tomorrow but i've feeling so naughty. i blame the heatwave...the beer gardens are so much more appealing... i need inspiration and quick!!

Quote Zero View Post
    Indeed Cookey good point, Up & Running here in Birmingham does Gait Analysis which some people find useful to see if they are an Normal, Under or Over Pronator. If someone has never done any running before it is a good idea.

Since I have a normal arch (not a high arch or flat foot) I just go with a neutral shoe, but since I am so tall I make sure I get extra cushioning like with a gel sole.

Not sure what part of WA you are in Lifeonmars but Fairhaven Runners in Bellingham is a good store that does analysis, I bought some shoes from there myself back when I lived on Bainbridge Island.

I just bought a new pair of Asics Nimbus Gel shoes and they are like running on air compared to my old shoes, I was clearly long over due for new ones!
    Awesome, I will check that out.

Gogs, thanks for the advice. I hope we can make a routine of it and keep it up.

Zero

Quote Daffodil View Post
    I can't believe it, i've been so good since april, training hard, regularly at the gym ( 3 x a week) and now my race for life in on wednesday coming and all of a sudden i've missed my first ever gym session and went for an indian instead! why have i gone off the rails and how do i get back on....i 'm supposed to go to gym tomorrow but i've feeling so naughty. i blame the heatwave...the beer gardens are so much more appealing... i need inspiration and quick!!
    The first thing you need to do is stop beating yourself up because that isn't going to help you at all, you missed one gym session that's okay

Just get back out there as soon as possible and do your usual session and focus on your goal, you will be fine

Perhaps try to make up for the missed session later in the week? If you can't do the gym maybe do something else that is complimentary to your goal.

Quote Lifeonmars View Post
    Safety! Wear those bright orange vests, carry a whistle, don't go running in secluded areas, in trails, or places where people can't hear your cries or whistling. Anyone can be a victim of a mugging, assault, rape, kidnapping... Anyone who is ill enough to want to do such a thing won't be discouraged by two girls running or even young males.

cobweb

I walked 4 miles or so today (am finding i can now manage this if i do plenty of stretching before and after, and use my wooden foot massager a few times every day - still painful but i can walk again! )

I also mowed back and front gardens

I watched lots of Tennis, too, does that count?

Cobweb

I walked for an hour and then did 30 mins on the bike, yeah!

Omg, gained weight. A good 10lbs at least. I'm working at a small grocery store now and I'm just eating all the [vegan] junk food I can get my hands on. Today was the first day this whole week where I actually SAT DOWN and had normal food for lunch, not just various snacks at the register.

It would be hard not to eat vegan junk food when you're in a shop full of it!

And today I walked for an hour

Omg, gained weight. A good 10lbs at least. I'm working at a small grocery store now and I'm just eating all the [vegan] junk food I can get my hands on. Today was the first day this whole week where I actually SAT DOWN and had normal food for lunch, not just various snacks at the register.
    Oh no, I would do the same thing. That would be a horrible job for me. One good thing about when I waitressed in a non vegan restaraurant was that I didn't do that. If it were vegan though... oh boy.