Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I climbed all day. What else is new?
    You must have great legs!
    Lisa @ http://www.facebook.com/earthsista

^ Legs? It's more arms. I had great legs when I ran. I would start doing that again, but I'm lazy.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I walked outside in the decaying leaves as the cold air filled my lungs. The smell of autumn is intoxicating.
    I am the Devil, and I'm here to do the Devils work.

boatsteem1

Did three hours of Kampjujutsu and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu yesterday and two hours of Shorinji Kempo today.

I'm looking forward to debuting in MMA within two years.

^What is MMA?^
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

mixed martial arts. kinda like ufc fighting. its acutally really really neat.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

boatsteem1

Yep, Mixed Martial Arts, just like the UFC, Strikeforce, PrideFC etc.
    Here is Genki Sudo, one of the best, and also one of the craziest
    [YOUTUBE]-pJsbOmrYNY[/YOUTUBE]

I walked for about 30 minutes today

Quote whalespace View Post
    Keep walking xwitchyx. I sold my car on Wednesday , but only because i didn't need it.
    [/COLOR]
    I walk a lot...but it is quite painful sometimes, as my knees and left hip are painful and they buckle, which kinda sucks. lol

I'm still waiting for my vitamins...as according to doc I should be pain free within 6 months. I'm doubtful, as I've had joint problems 10 years, if I've been low in vitamin D and calcium since I was a kid I'm very doubtful as I've been tested before.

I go swimming on Sundays at mo...meant to go twice a week, but dunno if body can handle it without sinking!
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Walked for about 25 minutes today

Quote mazatael View Post
    Yep, Mixed Martial Arts, just like the UFC, Strikeforce, PrideFC etc.
    Here is Genki Sudo, one of the best, and also one of the craziest

That kind of behaviour explains guns.
    I guess the boxing gloves and gum guards are to prevent them poking out eyes, and biting off their testicles.

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    I walk a lot...but it is quite painful sometimes, as my knees and left hip are painful and they buckle, which kinda sucks. lol

I'm still waiting for my vitamins...as according to doc I should be pain free within 6 months. I'm doubtful, as I've had joint problems 10 years, if I've been low in vitamin D and calcium since I was a kid I'm very doubtful as I've been tested before.

I go swimming on Sundays at mo...meant to go twice a week, but dunno if body can handle it without sinking!
    Why do your legs buckle xwitchyx ? Maybe the swimming will help you build up strength, without bearing on your joints.

boatsteem1

That kind of behaviour explains guns.
    I guess the boxing gloves and gum guards are to prevent them poking out eyes, and biting off their testicles.
    On the contrary, the MMA-gloves are for protecting your hands so you don't break your bones, and the gum guards are for protecting your teeth. There are a lot of rules which prevent injuries (fingers in eyes or ears, groin strikes, strikes to the spine or neck et cetera are not allowed). Also MMA is a sport built around sportsmanship. Competitors always hug each other after a match as a way of showing respect. No fighter wants the other competitor to be hurt.

Had a bad week really. Very busy with teaching, rehearsals and gigs and not eating properly and no time for exercise. Plus, had a jacket potato before singing yesterday, and felt like I had a grapefruit in my stomach! Not a pleasant feeling.
    Anyway, tomorrow is another day (and a terrible cliche), so I'll get my healthy head back on, and keep going!
    Last edited by smallhelen; Oct 16th, 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelink prblams

Quote earthsista View Post
    Walked for about 25 minutes today
    Good work!

On Tues and Weds I did 30 mins of aerobics, Thurs I cycled for 45 mins and today I walked for 55 mins.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Thanks! <3 Fantastic stuff! I should go for a 1 hour walk some time this week.

I walked to my job interview today, about 15 minutes there and back. So 30 minutes, yay lol.

This thread is really inspiring! I've been so lax on doing ANY exercise apart from the required walking five days a week...seeing everybody else being so active makes me want to join in!

Why do your legs buckle xwitchyx ? Maybe the swimming will help you build up strength, without bearing on your joints.
    Dunno. I've been told it could be a number of things. Now to stop me pestering they have told me to take vitamin pills and wait 6 months to see what happens.

Swimming does help, but I have to do exercises all over to keep everything moving.

Today I didn't my daily strength work, but didn't go swimming, as I've hurt my leg. Hoping to go tomorrow. As I usually go every Sunday, then eventually once I can swim for 30 minutes go twice a week.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I have a new bike...so that with swimming twice a week are good for cardio and strengthening.

Then daily I do resistance work, using bands and light weights and so on...and walking up hills and stairs to improve my bone density.

I'm taking my veg 1 pill daily, vit C and iron pill but not taking the calcium as it makes me want to heave, so I eat a yoghurt and a pint of soya milk a day...as well as a handful of almonds and so on. I'm hoping this works, as I can't take huuuuuuuuuge pills, and the calcium ones are huuuuuuuuuuuge!!!!!

You could crush up the pills xwitchyx. Or swap some starch for molasses.... there is a lot of calcium [and magnesium], and a lot of iron in molasses [and black treacle].

Here is the pond where the swimmers stood me up that Saturday [I think they were competing somewhere] :

You could crush up the pills xwitchyx. Or swap some starch for molasses.... there is a lot of calcium [and magnesium], and a lot of iron in molasses [and black treacle].

Oh really, I don't know what to use molasses for. Hmmmmmm It says baked beans but I don't eat beans daily. lol

Fit and healthy also means sleeping to me, so I want to try and get a decentish sleeping pattern again and not sleeping all day...

I got some gluten free museli today, full of good stuff, even if it is rabbit food.

Haven't done any exercise though.

That is a beautiful pond!

BlackCats

I haven't done any exercise for ages because of illness but I used my rebounder (mini trampoline) twice this week for about 30 minutes each time and we walked around East London for about 2 hours yesterday.

I think I might buy a new trampoline as my one is getting not as bouncy. I think this will be my fourth one now.

Lovely lake photos Whalespace.

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    Oh really, I don't know what to use molasses for. Hmmmmmm It says baked beans but I don't eat beans daily. lol
    I sometimes put a spoonful of molasses in some hot water and have it as a drink. You have reminded me to do that today actually.

I'd love a mini-trampoline!

On Thursday, Saturday and yesterday I did an hour of aerobics/pump/boxing

I walked home from my work (my 1st day!) place... took me 35 minutes.

35 mins is a good walk!

I did 45 mins of cardio/boxing

Am feeling better at the moment. Yesterday did 45 mins step; today did my usual hour's swim this morning, then went for a walk to the supermarket with OH late afternoon (50 mins there and back). Hope I haven't undone all the hard work with the tacos and wine I have just consumed!
    I think I many have had a bit of a stomach bug over the last two weeks, cos I was very bloated and had no appetite (not like me at all!), and then my OH had the same symptoms for a few days.
    On the plus side, now I am back at my ideal weight, and fit back in my nice jeans!

Sounds like a good work out, SmallHelen, hope you're feeling ok.

I did some cardio during the week for 25 mins one day and 30 mins of pump & cardio yesterday.

Bad news is that my local swimming pool is closed until after Christmas - aaaaarrgh!
    Good news is that I have a yoga dvd and pilates dvd arriving from Amazon soon.
    Must keep exercising before Christmas, then I can eat lots and lots of nice things, and not have to worry too much!

Wink Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Awesome work (out-ing) people!!! Keep it up! It can be hard to actually keep it up sometimes!!! Ok, that sounds bad... Anyways, been keeping up with my 3x a week 1 1/2 hour yoga class since May. I have really gotten into it. I tried Bikram yoga in Feb-Apr, about 8 times, and I hated it more and more each time.... I guess the studio I went to made it feel like a barbie bootcamp.... not my style!! So I gave yoga another chance when I moved and ended up in a very spiritually motivated yoga practice studio. (Also about half the price as Barbie's mansion studio) I am in love with yoga and the peace it brings to every aspect of life....

Three of ninety minute yogas per week works well for me too kookooforkarma [I like typing that one]. When things are going smoothly, then an hour each day is not too much for me...which I count into my sleep 'quota'.

I swam today... usually about 3 km [each third day], which fits well with yoga immediately I get home... I suppose the walk is thirty minutes each way aswell.
    I jump about, and dance a bit to liven up my day...maybe ten minutes each day.
    Timewise that is coming to seventy minutes [of which ten are for changing clothes] per day.
    I can use the audio time when I am not in the water.

Have started doing some yoga - got a mat for Christmas, and bought myself a Yoga for Beginners DVD. Just doing the easy basic routines at the moment for about 20-30 minutes, but have to coordinate it with my OH not being in the lounge (it's nice that he likes listening to the sound of the sea on the DVD, but he does distract me a bit just by being there!). I find it very relaxing and refreshing, and hopefully it will help me tone my muscles and keep me flexible.
    Combined with my swimming, stepping and Pilates, I think I'm doing well at the moment. The test will come next week when I go back to work, and have less free time.

Talking Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Quote smallhelen View Post
    Have started doing some yoga - got a mat for Christmas, and bought myself a Yoga for Beginners DVD. Just doing the easy basic routines at the moment for about 20-30 minutes, but have to coordinate it with my OH not being in the lounge (it's nice that he likes listening to the sound of the sea on the DVD, but he does distract me a bit just by being there!). I find it very relaxing and refreshing, and hopefully it will help me tone my muscles and keep me flexible.
    Combined with my swimming, stepping and Pilates, I think I'm doing well at the moment. The test will come next week when I go back to work, and have less free time.
    You should take the time to go to a few yoga classes. That way you can get individual help with the poses and ask if you're doing them right. Unless you got a pretty awesome video that explains all the details, but I doubt it. It's well worth it to see an instructor, even if its just three times. They also usually have some pretty wicked meditating concepts and advice. Anyways, I LOVE my yoga studio! lol

I want to get back into really good shape. I do yoga on Mondays and rock climbing about 3 times a week but I feel like I need cardio. I'd like to start running or at least walking but it's dead of winter now. I don't want to join a second gym (mine is just climbing) for it though. Any suggestions?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I want to get back into really good shape. I do yoga on Mondays and rock climbing about 3 times a week but I feel like I need cardio. I'd like to start running or at least walking but it's dead of winter now. I don't want to join a second gym (mine is just climbing) for it though. Any suggestions?

Yeah, I know what you mean, I feel like I need more cardio too.... I tried jogging a few times but... lol

Quote kookooforkarma View Post
    You should take the time to go to a few yoga classes. That way you can get individual help with the poses and ask if you're doing them right. Unless you got a pretty awesome video that explains all the details, but I doubt it. It's well worth it to see an instructor, even if its just three times. They also usually have some pretty wicked meditating concepts and advice. Anyways, I LOVE my yoga studio! lol
    Thanks for the advice. I've phoned up the local leisure centre, and they have an open class on Fridays. I'm going to try to go this week (if the snow has gone by then!)

BlackCats

^ Did you go to yoga Helen? You do a lot of exercise.

DiaShel - it seems like you do loads of exercise too.

I have used my trampoline five times this week hurray. It doesn't seem to be getting much easier though! I must be totally out of shape. Hopefully next week will be better.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it in the end. The snow and bad weather meant that I had to cancel a rehearsal the next day, so I had to spend time phoning people. I had already gone for a walk in the morning (bit chilly), and did some extra Pilates to make up for it. Hopefully, I will be able to go next Friday - will keep fingers crossed.
    At the moment I also seem to be fighting off some sort of cold bug, and don't feel like doing anything at all (spent most of yesterday vegging out on the sofa). Will force myself to do some gentle exercise at some point today, as I'm sure it will make me feel a bit better.
    Oh well, keep smiling.
    Last edited by smallhelen; Jan 10th, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spellink.

Exercise is the last thing you want to do when you're not feeling so great, I emphasise with you smallhelen!

Last night I was lying down and could feel the a blood vessels pulsing in each ankle . I counted for a minute...41 beats.
    I thought this might be a bit low so I measured at my neck [45 beats per minute], then at my wrist [46 beats per minute].... I was clearly getting worked up.

Resting heart rates anyone?

See if you notice the rate increasing as you inhale, and decreasing as you exhale.

Vegan World Tr

Did yoga for the first time recently. Wanted to continue it but would be very difficult as my broken wrist needs surgery.

Instead, I am doing Zumba. LOVE it! Great Latin music beats to upbeat music. Great workout for fitness buffs!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    You could join a gym or get a dvd for home?

I'm still doing aerobics/pump/leg work, sometimes 25 mins sometimes 45 mins a day.

Last night I was lying down and could feel the a blood vessels pulsing in each ankle . I counted for a minute...41 beats.
    I thought this might be a bit low so I measured at my neck [45 beats per minute], then at my wrist [46 beats per minute].... I was clearly getting worked up.

Resting heart rates anyone?

See if you notice the rate increasing as you inhale, and decreasing as you exhale.

46 beats a minute is GREAT. Do you run or do heavy duty cardio? Your heart is in good shape. Good for you.
    All about the animals, Lucia

Quote VeganLu View Post
    46 beats a minute is GREAT. Do you run or do heavy duty cardio? Your heart is in good shape. Good for you.
    That rate was after a very comfortable leg stretch, in which I fall asleep for fifteen minutes. Sitting at the desk my pulse rate is 53 beats per minute.
    I remember a rate of 46 when I was about eighteen years old [nearly twenty years ago... I didn't do much 'cardio' exercise then, only sit-ups and press-ups etc.. though I won "cross country" for my school year a couple of times.
    Now I swim, and spend most of that time breathing out according to stroke patterns. I definitely class this with yogic breathing... one hundred and twenty lengths of the pool [25metres] holding breath during powerful exertions, then exhaling sometimes steadily, sometimes in bursts...
    Being surrounded by water certainly discourages one from inhaling before an 'agreed' juncture. Also the steady rhythms, and fairly dependable stroke sequences give the mind other 'time' keeping mechanisms.... kind of 'landmarks' in the limitspace.
    Perhaps 'fitness' is not the only factor determining resting heart rate [obviously drugs would affect things...maybe endorphins]. Incidentally, I had used 100 mg of caffeine on the day of the 46 bpm reading, which does affect oxygen uptake.
    I have been on my feet a lot for the last twenty years.

I am very curious regarding Diashel's heart rate, due to so much rock climbing....and honestly only from an objective data perspective .

I should mention that the last time I recorded my pulse rate at 40 beats per minute, was
    when I was food poisoned [from emptying a food canister recycling bank], and doubled up in [very] pain for too long.

Such a low heart rate is generally considered worrying.

I am very curious regarding Diashel's heart rate, due to so much rock climbing....and honestly only from an objective data perspective .
    Wow, I didn't know I was up for speculation.

I'm not sure what it is. Maybe I should check. Too bad I don't have a watch or clock with a second hand.

Hi Whalespace:

I'm new here and posting like crazy. Anyway, you swim quite a bit and mountain climb, right? If you are a steady exerciser, your heart beat rate is not too low. Besides, the lower the heart beat rate, the less work your heart has to do to pump your blood through your system. I don't think that it matters whether you took your heart breat rate after exercising, or after relaxing. I say this because I ran for 22 years, and everytime my doctor took my pulse, he always told me I had a low heart beat rate, usually 50. The first thing he would say is "its low because you run". But, to be on the safe side and also to put your mind to rest, I would go to your doctor and see what he says.
    All about the animals, Lucia

Um.... 66??? That's not good is it.

BlackCats

resting heart rate chart, for calculating your heart rate

I tested mine the other day and it was 86 which is considered poor according to that chart but I just did it again and it was 72 which is above average.

EcoTribalVegan

My New Year's Resolution was to climb a different tree every day. Which is a great form of exercise. I also aim to do at least one set of "burn-out" push-ups every other day, minimum. And usually a couple times a week I do ab crunches. When I work I often use their weight-room facility as well.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    resting heart rate chart, for calculating your heart rate

I tested mine the other day and it was 86 which is considered poor according to that chart but I just did it again and it was 72 which is above average.
    Oh shoot. Mine is just good. I want to be athlete!! (I'll settle for excellent though...)