Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

cobweb

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

good one, yes, thanks, Dia, i will work on telling myself that!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I gained some weight. I don't know how much. I'm a scaleophobe. But it's enough that my once loose-from-weightloss pants are getting snug. I quit a physically demanding job a month ago and my food intake has been EVEN MORE (since I'm home and have nothing better to do but munch). I think I gained at least a solid 10lbs of fat. I'm trying to exercise but I'm just so damn shy to go to the gym. I'm only comfortable exercising if it's not overtly exercise (like walking in jeans with my purse, heading to the store. I'd feel daft if I wore work out clothes to walk outside).
    I used to be a lot like that... really self-conscious about exercising in front of people at the gym or outside. I still cant exercise outside, like go jogging or anything, but a couple of years ago I got the courage to go the gym.

There are a lot of tutorial type things online about exercises you can do at home which you could look up? Are there any friends who'd be up for exercising with you? That could help if there's someone else you can go out and do stuff with, that way you might feel more comfortable? But walking can definately help you lose weight, if you walk briskly every day for however long you can that's a great way to exercise

Today I did 45-50 mins on the cross-trainer. Then stretches. Forgot to do sit ups

I went on a crazy 5+ mile hike which was very VERY steep. I went with a group of like 10 and only me, another girls and the 2 leaders finished it all.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Awesome, DiaShel! I did 20 mins on the bike.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Still nothing... I really need to not avoid exercise right now, given the race in three weeks today! Heh. I know I'll get back on track, though. At least I have a good reason - finally started writing something substantial for the first time in many years yesterday that I want to give lots of attention to

Regarding what Tiger and Snowy have been discussing about being shy... well, my flatmate is like that too. She's actually lost a bunch of weight on her own, exercising in her room. However, I do want to encourage people about exercising outside and at the gym. I used to have the same thing about going outside but after two or three runs I completely got over it. It turns out that people just don't care :P and if they do look at you, it's perhaps with curiosity - but never badly! It's probably the same way you're looking at them :P and I know that when I see runners and so on outside, I feel respect and smile

cobweb

i was shy about the gym til i went (joined last year)
    everyone is intent on doing their own thing and you really hardly get noticed by anyone else, its fine.

That's right! I'll occasionally glance at numbers on others' treadmills :P but subtly and obviously not to judge them. I'm just interested. If they've been at it a long time, I'm impressed. If not, I'm still impressed :P

RubyDuby

I'm in pain from shovelling!! My body is not used to that.
    Yesterday I did a little walking, but nothing really to speak of.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

OMG this last week I've been averaging 2200 calories a day....what has happened to my willpower! (I'm supposed to be on 1500) I'm still working out 3 days a weeks but I'm afraid to weigh this week incase i've gained and it will discourage me.

Quote kit View Post
    That's right! I'll occasionally glance at numbers on others' treadmills :P but subtly and obviously not to judge them. I'm just interested. If they've been at it a long time, I'm impressed. If not, I'm still impressed :P
    Haha I do that too! I like the gym now, felt very relaxed there from the start really as noone takes any notice of you. I'll eventually go jogging outside at some point... will keep you posted!!

Quote kit View Post
    I'm a little devious when on the treadmills. I've got a heartrate monitor with a chest strap, the treadmills are programmed to pick up chest straps of Polor HRMs. The treadmills at my gym are very close. Probably about a few inches apart. On occasion, the treadmill next to me picks up my heartrate from my strap. I'll admit to getting my heartrate up just to freak out the person next to me. They'll be walking at a very slow pace, next thing, the treadmill heartrate monitor picks me up and the HR jumps up to 160-170 bpm. It confuses the crap out of them. They'll grab the sensors on the treadmill, the HR will read right.......until they let go. It's a sick form of entertainment for me. But I can't keep up the run for too long, I've got a knee with the beginings of osteoartritis, so I can't run for long. Yeah, I'll admit to being a little

I did two hours of spin yesterday, today is my rest day. The good thing is that my weight has gone down three days in a row on Wii Fit.

IcedTea, that's genius! And so cruel! But I laugh heartily, ho ho ho! I put my towel over my own TM because I can't stand looking at the numbers while I'm running. Makes it so much slower. Lol, you probably make them think they're having strokes or something! That appeals to my inner evil so much

I'm mainly shy about my breasts. They are 38DD and no bra can help them from wiggling and jumping. I get a lot of looks from men without them jiggling up and down. I can't imagine the attention I'd get if I let them wiggle...
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Tiger, I have a couple of bras from M&S that are normal bra shape, not those sports bra crop top thingies that do nothing. They are really excellent. However, I just saw that you're in Canada so don't know if there's an equivalent - or maybe you've tried it. Those style bras, I've found, are excellent for support though.

cobweb

Tiger i am 40 F
    A good sports bra is a must.

I think I have to fork over a small fortune and get a good sports bra.

cobweb

yep, it's v.annoying, dunno why anyone would choose to have large boobs.

I'm proud of you all. You have inspired me

I've started running on my trampoline. I just set it up in the kitchen and stick the radio on to ease the boredom. I did two miles in half an hour tonight according to my stepometer. I usually swim a mile per week but it takes forever to get there, change, swim, get dried, go home, fix my hair etc. It's nice to be able to exercise at home.

cobweb

this ^ is the high-impact bra i use from Marks and Spencers for sports and daily use
    (for Tigerlily and anyone else who has bood-fitness probs)

Is it comfortable? And does it minimize breast appearance (I would love that)?

cobweb

yes, and yes!
    i replaced all my bras with them and use them every day now.

Yay

RubyDuby

ran half a mile yesterday without stopping, which sounds like nothing, but is really good for me. At work for 12 hrs today so I doubt I'll get any exercise.

I think I have to fork over a small fortune and get a good sports bra.

I know that feeling all too well. I'm a 36DD. Mine run me anywhere from $37-$45 depending on what style I pick. But the good thing is that they've been lasting and they stop bounce. Mine are from Athleta.com and Title9.com. But I think they sell most of the same styles. I don't really like doing mail order since I can't try them on before hand, but I can't find a half-decent one around here. When I was at my lowest weight, I was a 34DD. That was hard as heck to find even in regular bras. Stupid fibrocystic lumps is all I have to say. I lost 70 pounds and the dang things barely shrunk. Not even enough to change a cup size.

I like that bra cobweb, it doesn't look like it gives that smooshed uni-boob look.

cobweb

Iced Tea - no, they don't smoosh your boobs - they don't push 'em up, obviously, either, but as i tend to live in v-neck t-shirts and jeans they look fine. I love them. I see they've gone up £3 since i last bought one a few months ago though.

Quote IcedTea View Post
    I lost 70 pounds and the dang things barely shrunk. Not even enough to change a cup size.
    Funny, I lost about that much and mine shrank A LOT. 2 cup sizes which wasn't good since they weren't big to begin with...
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Today I did 10 mins of arm exercises with my 1kg dumbell, 45 mins on my stepper, then 5-10 mins of stretches and some sit ups.

I lost 50lbs and gained a band size and a cup size! WTF!

^ That's insane... how could that happen!?

Mine seem to go up a cup size for every five pounds I gain. That's the main reason I'd never want to be overweight; I'd end up with a cup size in the second half of the alphabet.

I walked for an hour on Sunday and might play some Wii Fit tonight

BlackCats

I haven't been looking at this thread as I have done no exercise lately! But I have been trying to eat healthier since the start of June and have lost a few pounds so that has spurred me on. I am going to use my rebounder today and do some stretching exercises and some arm exercises with my weights.

Well done on losing 11 pounds CW.

Has anyone ever tried those scales that measure your body fat? My friend had hers measured and hers was very high (but she is obese.) I am tempted to get mine done but I don't know if I would just be horrified and it would discourage me.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I would love to have the space to have a home gym in my house. I'm sure I wouldn't use it all the time but at least it would be there if I did feel motivated enough.
    well i have a gym in my house but i hardly ever use it....(it's only a small one in one of the bedrooms) but I prefer going to use a public gym, i've got much fitter in a short space of time than over the last 2 yrs using one at home - there's always something else to do at home, some excuse not to go in there. whereas using a public gym it's somewhere to go like a routine and we go together and there's other people to watch etc... i woulnd't recommend working out at home personally. but whatever works for each individual eh

RubyDuby

I lost 50lbs and gained a band size and a cup size! WTF!
    Wow 50 lbs! How did you do it?

Currently trying to tone up. I find excercise dull as anything though. I don't mind hulahooping along while watching music vids... but I'm so very easily distracted.

I figure being fairly active is a good level, with a few bits of CV stuff throughout the week... well, I tell myself that as I can't get it up to excerise everyday..

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Funny, I lost about that much and mine shrank A LOT. 2 cup sizes which wasn't good since they weren't big to begin with...
    As a result of loosing far more weight than was a good idea I dropped from being a 36DD to a 34AA. I didn't always like being on the busty side, but it's very depressing buying bras from the kids section of a department store.

It is nice not having to wear a bra *all* the time though.

Today I did 40 mins on my stepper, then 10 mins of stretching and some sit ups. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get up early enough to go to the gym!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I tend to drop a cup size when I lose weight too

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Has anyone ever tried those scales that measure your body fat? My friend had hers measured and hers was very high (but she is obese.) I am tempted to get mine done but I don't know if I would just be horrified and it would discourage me.
    As long as you bear in mind that, I think, women have an average of 19 per cent body fat. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's a fairly high percentage that is healthy. Men are a bit lower. Below 10 per cent is very, VERY (athlete style) low.

19 % body fat for women is actually pretty low the average women is 22-25% and for men its between 15-18%....but obviously i'm not a doctor...but i've read quite a few health articles and thats typically the norm...
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

BlackCats

I have been on a diet of sorts, I have cut way back on sugar and I have lost 5 and 1/2 pounds since June 1st.:smile: I still have got to get back to the weight I lost in February. I started taking anti-d's and they messed me up for a while and then I gained a lot of weight back.

I read that 20-25% body fat was average for women. Maybe I won't get it done until I have lost a bit more weight.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    well i have a gym in my house but i hardly ever use it....(it's only a small one in one of the bedrooms) but I prefer going to use a public gym, i've got much fitter in a short space of time than over the last 2 yrs using one at home - there's always something else to do at home, some excuse not to go in there. whereas using a public gym it's somewhere to go like a routine and we go together and there's other people to watch etc... i woulnd't recommend working out at home personally. but whatever works for each individual eh
    I can't afford to join a gym at the moment. I don't know if I would go when I have the money. I bought a swimming costume last year and I still haven't been swimming as yet. I am just the type of person that wants to make exercise as easy as possible so if I can just go to my living room and do it that's better for me.

I did 25 minutes exercise yesterday and I want to do 15 minutes at least today.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    Wow 50 lbs! How did you do it?
    A combination of eating healthier, more whole foods, exercising every once in a while, and having an active on-my-feet restaurant job. I also went on Wellbutrin to help with my depression in October. Wellbutrin is often prescribed "off label" to obese people to help them lose weight. I actually lost a good amount of weight on Wellbutrin, maybe half the weight I've lost in total just from Wellbutrin. I've been stable at 145-155lbs for the past few months and I'm not trying a whole lot to maintain... Wellbutrin just makes me not have much of an appetite and it speeds up your metabolism (it reacts like speed in your brain, actually, without the craziness).

So maybe I've cheated? My psychiatrist wasn't planning on putting me on it but when I told him that my metabolism is so slow and I've been trying forever to get slimmer, he put me on them.

Another reason also is that the 50lbs on me wasn't something that I had forever. I had gained that much weight over the course of 2ish years due my depression and being a recluse. Since it wasn't 50lbs of weight I've been carrying for years, I think it made it easier to shed it.

RubyDuby

it's still an impressive amt to lose! Welbutrin seems to be the jack of all trades. A friend was on it to help her quit smoking too.

I did no exercise yesterday and ate crap junk food (in moderation )

Today I came into work to find huge piles of stones that need to be spread which is great. very happy to have something to do while watching the doggies play, and it's great exercise pushing stone with a squeegee bulldozer style. there are no shovels for some reason... I've been doing that on and off for 3 1/2 hours. I'm on a 2 hr break now while dogs get their nap time, then it's back to pushing stone.

So Much prefer this kind of accidental exercise

cobweb

yes i could happily push stones/saw wood/muck out stables all day every day but even though i do like the gym, 40 minutes is maximum for me - and exercising at home even less and i'm bored.

Today I had a really good 45-50 mins workout on the cross trainer at the gym

Yesterday I did 30 mins brisk walking when I went into town to shop.

RubyDuby

My body is in pain from yesterday so I did about an hour of stretching this AM and plan to do more when I get home.

I've been fighting a horrible mood and bingeing sessions these past couple days. PMS is here. lol

I did 30 minutes of a 60 minute Firm DVD yesterday. I got so ticked off at myself during it that I shut it off. Today I did a 30 minute yoga practice from the ExerciseTV people that my cable company offers through OnDemand. It was tough. I used to do a power yoga class and had no problems, but since neglecting that for over a year and gaining weight throughout that time, I had a hard time with it.

But I guess I can look at it that I at least did SOME exercising the past couple days.

Today I worked out for 30 minutes doing toning exercises from Youtube. I worked up a sweat even!

Buddha Belly

Today I did yoga for the first time and really liked it. It was a class run by a friend which Helen usually goes to. The only problem is I now have to seriously look at loosing the belly to do some of the positions properly.

^ but then you'd have to change you username. Can't have that!