Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

Quote Buddha Belly View Post
    Today I did yoga for the first time and really liked it. It was a class run by a friend which Helen usually goes to. The only problem is I now have to seriously look at loosing the belly to do some of the positions properly.
    I have that problem too! I'm about the only over weight vegan I know... I don't know how my belly maintains itself even after three months of the new diet! I downloaded a yoga dvd to start getting into shape and quickly discovered I could only do about one third of the movements. Suppose I'll have to loose the belly too.

Buddha Belly

Quote DiaShel View Post
    ^ but then you'd have to change you username. Can't have that!
    I could be Thai Buddha Belly? I might look good with tight curls

Quote Lord Perennialist View Post
    I have that problem too! I'm about the only over weight vegan I know... I don't know how my belly maintains itself even after three months of the new diet! I downloaded a yoga dvd to start getting into shape and quickly discovered I could only do about one third of the movements. Suppose I'll have to loose the belly too.
    there are a lot of overweight vegans. the vegan 'diet' isn't necessarily a way to loose weight...well especially the way i do it.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote missbettie View Post
    there are a lot of overweight vegans. the vegan 'diet' isn't necessarily a way to loose weight...well especially the way i do it.
    Well from what I've heard most people loose some weight after turning vegan. Maybe I should give up the enriched flour, modified corn starch and yummy potato bread too...

Zero

I now in the process of putting my training plan back together, it all fell apart after I ran the Birmingham Half Marathon last year, I got lazy and lost muscle, as a result my physique is starting to suffer, too many vegan junk foods and sporadic excercise at best unfortunately.

It's hard to believe that about 18 months ago my diet was mostly raw and I was working out 3 or more times a week. [Note I don't endorse a raw diet for anyone else specifically (and I am not a nutritionist) there was just a point in my life where I was drawn to it and it worked for me at the time. A high amount of fresh foods is always a great thing but some people get far too obsessed with it all]

I have started running 3 times a week again and I am seriously considering getting back in the gym too in top of that. I plan on obliterating my time from last years Birmingham Half Marathon this year.

I had been feeling quite down and unhappy of late but realising that I really needed to focus on myself and my personal development has given me a real boost.

I ran 2 miles last night and I'll be doing 4 miles tonight.

BlackCats

That's good Zero.

I would say vegans that I have met are all different shapes and sizes and some are overweight. My brother asked me if all vegan men were pale and weedy but that is just a stereotype I think.

I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 7 pounds now.:smile: I really want to stick to it this time. My BMI is still just over 25 now but it was at 26 12 days ago so I have to think positively. I'm going out to eat today and tomorrow so I should do some extra exercise on Sunday to compensate.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I weighed myself this morning and I have lost 7 pounds now.:smile:
    Congrats BlackCats!

BlackCats

^ Cheers my dear.

^ that's great!! Well done! I havent weighed myself but I know my jeans are looking way better on me than they were before I started working out more, and I feel better in them too

Today I've been on my feet all day walking around and being busy doing things! That's all the exercise I'll be doing today Exhausted now! Will be hitting the gym hard tomorrow for possibly the last time til I go to Greece for 3 weeks on Wednesday!

You're my hero BC.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Zero View Post
    It's hard to believe that about 18 months ago my diet was mostly raw and I was working out 3 or more times a week. [Note I don't endorse a raw diet for anyone else specifically (and I am not a nutritionist) there was just a point in my life where I was drawn to it and it worked for me at the time. A high amount of fresh foods is always a great thing but some people get far too obsessed with it all]
    Are you no longer eating mostly raw then, Zero?

And good work, BC!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

RubyDuby

I love this thread. Just as I start to forget to pay attention to food and exercise it pops up. (short attention span i know) I'm trying to use this thread like the "what did you eat today" thread...

I'm fluxuating up and down 3 lbs but don't seem to be losing or gaining. I probably shouldn't weigh myself everyday, but I'm going to anyway.

Yesterday I was at work 11 hrs and we had quite a few dogs so at least I was moving around and not sat in front of a comp like I would've been at home.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I'm going to a popular gay night at a club in a skimpy outfit next week. Is it naive for me to wish I could lose a few by then?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

RubyDuby

not at all, if you really set your mind to it!

After that post yesterday I ended up watching 4 movies and eating a cheeseburger for lunch (gimme lean, tofutti slices) and 2 pita pizzas with a total of half a block of fyh mozz for dinner. ugh...

BUT I started the day today with a half mile run and a good 30 minutes of stretching, so there's hope yet.

I'm going to join a rock climbing gym tomorrow. I'm on this site for meet ups and there are 2 groups that go weekly, a women's group on Mondays and another group on Wednesdays at the same place. I figure I"ll go those two days after work and one other day by myself. I'm very excited because I enjoy it so much and this should strengthen me up.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I'm going to a popular gay night at a club in a skimpy outfit next week. Is it naive for me to wish I could lose a few by then?
    I think you could do it, it's definately possible If you do some form of exercise each day and eat healthy you can totally do it!!

Yesterday I was on the cross trainer at the gym for an hour, then stretched 5 mins and did some sit ups.

I did some Tae-bo this morning.

When I work out I really work out. I'll be rock climbing like every other day and do about one major hike on the weekends (a strenuous 10-15 miler). I'm very sore often to the point that I have trouble moving.

I wonder if it's better to do a hard work out a few times a week or less more often. Opinions?

cobweb

- just my own experience Dia, but i always was like that - in fact i do it with everything, it's all or nothing .

I used to regularly walk and/or mountain/hill climb (in Wales) for hours at a time, i used to cycle a lot, and pre-veganism rode horses for 3-4 hours, 6 days a week. This is why i stopped going to the gym, because i reinflamed my poorly foot by flogging it on the treadmill, i'm silly, i love going mad with things .

Now i'm 38, i have an Arthritic knee which can be quite painful. I can't do any strong Yoga positions anymore, or lunges, etc. I have Plantar Fasciitis in one foot which rules out jogging (which i also used to do, back in the day!) and walking anything more than about a mile. One of my hips is also a bit 'dodgy' so rowing is now out, too..........

I have to say that i had loads of accidents when i was younger, i used to ride racehorses as a job, and the wilder the horses the better i liked it . So of course landing at great speed on my head, neck, back and pelvis have definitely accelarated the ageing process for me. Be careful, though - i think it's probably none too sensible to workout til you can hardly move, you may live to regret it! .

Yep, I'm definitely "all or nothing", if I go half way into something I don't stick to it.
    When I do workouts that I'm sore the next day it's because I'm doing something, hiking or climbing, it's not that I'm at the gym and just stay too long. I think I get sore very easily though... I don't really stretch. I have no patience for it and I find it frustrating because I'm so inflexible. I don't really notice a difference the next day anyway.

cobweb

yep i was going add, stretch stretch and more stretch keeps the physio away!

I've read, when I was running a lot, that more people get injured stretching then running though! Ok, I just totally have been using that article as an excuse because I hate it so much.

I've cleared myself a place in the shed to administer my yoga....so blissfully quiet out there...

I usually exhaust myself fairly thoroughly with swimming these days... far easier on the joints than running in boots, and judo.

I would advise recovery periods between severe workouts, as the tissues need to repair [including muscles in order to grow]. Also, the pain one feels from pushing inflamed parts, and frayed muscles, can lead to psychological inhibition... err one feels less inclined to exercise.

I have missed three swims due to a waxy ear. I thought I might replace them with some runs, but have failed to replace.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

RubyDuby

^that's because running is no fun

dia- i'm not sure it matters which, if you can find a way that works for you and don't actually hurt yourself!

I agree Ruby Duby.

I have been attending a Zumba class, which is much more fun...Zumba is samba aerobics with aspects of line dancing.
    There are about thirty ladies in the class, and one whalespace. I think they prefer me to be at the front of the hall, where I can't see them, which is just as well since I tend to suffer short bouts of laughter, when I get out of sync with the instructress.

RubyDuby

Quote whalespace View Post
    I have been attending a Zumba class, which is much more fun...Zumba is samba aerobics with aspects of line dancing.
    now that sounds like fun!

I would advise recovery periods between severe workouts, as the tissues need to repair [including muscles in order to grow]. Also, the pain one feels from pushing inflamed parts, and frayed muscles, can lead to psychological inhibition... err one feels less inclined to exercise.
    The thing is, I'm most sore 2 days after a workout. That's too long a recovery period. I'd only be able to work out twice a week!

Some people go hard at it, and then take a week off once in a while. Dammage is to be avoided, and knowing what will cause dammage is a mixture of feeling and research.

I swim every third day: about three thousand metres. I could easily swim one thousand each day, but the result would be different. Time overhead, and ability to concentrate on reading technical texts afterwards [when my mind is still trying to do the dolphin] are the factors which determine my swim frequency.
    I think I will be a more capable swimmer if I go for more effort less frequently, though lighter more regular exercise is the more sensible advice for most people.
    I get a hit from stretching thoroughly when physically exhausted.
    NB.: Not permitting mental satisfaction until physical exhaustion, followed by a full stretching session [ninety minutes of stretching], resulting in mild nausea, mild non relenting pain 'all through', and hunger [some liquid food until you are done]....can affect one's character.

I walked for an hour yest'day, hopefully I will tomorrow too.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I signed up for RealAge.com YOU: On A Diet. I love that website. It's a free weight loss program with a recommended menu plan, recipes, exercise logger, work out instructions, and other tips on being healthy. It's all free. And it's pretty vegan friendly. I was able to customize my meal plan to be as vegan as possible, I'll just need to swap the skim milk for soy milk!

NB.: Not permitting mental satisfaction until physical exhaustion, followed by a full stretching session [ninety minutes of stretching], resulting in mild nausea, mild non relenting pain 'all through', and hunger [some liquid food until you are done]....can affect one's character.
    I'll save this in the text file of quotes I keep and look at it whenever I feel lazy.
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

BlackCats

There are about thirty ladies in the class, and one whalespace.
    That sounds like fun Whalespace.

I haven't done anything for the past few days. I must start exercising again tomorrow.:smile:

I did an hour of yoga and about an hour and a half of rock climbing. Then I came home and eat a double veggie burgers with grilled onions, BBQ sauce, lots of avocado and a bunch of jelly flavored peanuts. Damn it!

and it's 9:30 making matters worse

RubyDuby

i barely slept last night, so staying awake, on my feet, and not overeating today (oh I'm pmsing too ) was pretty damned good of me.

Quote fresquinho View Post
    I'll save this in the text file of quotes I keep and look at it whenever I feel lazy.
    Such a text file is a good idea.
    When hovering at the point of opportunity, I respond well to reason and comparison.... so long as those comparisons are made explicit in my mind. Sometimes I can call those comparisons to mind voluntarily, but having a collection of 'verbal relations' clearly visible [like on the kitchen door; stuck on the television] would show up my denial nicely.

Quote DiaShel
    I did an hour of yoga and about an hour and a half of rock climbing. Then I came home and eat a double veggie burgers with grilled onions, BBQ sauce, lots of avocado and a bunch of jelly flavored peanuts. Damn it!
    So what DiaShel? You earned it, well done. If you want something nicer to eat, then you should have it waiting for you.... don't beat yourself up about it.

So what DiaShel? You earned it, well done. If you want something nicer to eat, then you should have it waiting for you.... don't beat yourself up about it.
    Thanks... I'm eating before next time so I don't scarf down as much food as possible once I get home.

I'm terrible about health and fitness. I have been going to Aikido practice several times a week, though, which is wonderful. The thing is... physical things to me seem so monotonous... I haven't learned to enjoy them terribly much yet, at least not to the point where I can be self-disciplined about them. I'd rather be reading something or talking to someone... but Aikido keeps my attention. I go as often as I can. It's fun, interesting, and not terribly, terribly exhausting (usually). And, best of all, it's very personal, and your partner is depending on you to keep up the pace and everything, so it forces me to keep going despite my mental resistance.

Anyway... I also have no self-discipline when it comes to food. I just keep eating... but I have a growing consciousness of nutrition, and I just decided that Thursdays for me are going to be Healthy Thursdays. If I could just have one day a week to anchor me and make sure I'm doing the right thing - same way as I have for meditation, 1-3 days a week - then I think that eventually I'll get it. It may take me a year or two or three... but I have to start somewhere....... now.

Wish me luck... I never seem to follow through on these things. Veganism worked out fine because it didn't require me to stop eating and because it was interesting... choosing vegan foods is actually a really fun and exciting business. But I did also start giving up meat only on certain days of the month.

I wonder if I somehow make this really fun. Oh, I forgot to say what I mean by "Health Thursday." I mean, food-wise. I am going to not eat after 10p.m. (I usually go to bed around 1a.m.), not eat too much grain... not eat too much of the same thing. Try to get in some veggies and def. some fruit. If I have to, I might even fast part of the day. Anyway... I dunno how I'll make that fun......... I guess that if I keep up the energy I have right now (which is unlikely, I suppose), anything could be fun. Meh.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Has anyone heard of calorie restriction for life? CRON? It seems very interesting. And the OCD part of me is like, "OMG DO IT. ONE MORE THING TO ORGANIZE YAAAA!" But it seems like such a bore.

Pilaf

I don't do calorie restrictions. I'm naturally a big guy, and I'm trying to pack on actual muscle. Have you ever seen a muscular bodybuilder type guy who didn't eat like a horse? Exactly!

Yes but I'm a girl who wants to be small and slender.

This week I went climbing 3 times. I've been eating pretty good although today I had 4-5 PB cups... blast...

cobweb

The exercise thing aint going too well for me right now. I am desperate to get back in that gym but a bit stumped as to what i can do there now?. I have free weights at home so pretty much all that's left would be the stationery bikes at the gym as the treadmill, stepper, etc are now out of bounds to me because of my foot. In fact i've even been advised to use caution when using weights and not to do them standing because of the pesky foot! . So at the moment i'm basically doing a lot of stretchy type exercises at home, + a little walking.

Am enjoying swimming but it's so hard to find good times to go as the schools use it so much. I'm into morning exercise rather than evening but might have to change that.........

The weight loss has begun again though and i have now lost 13lbs, so nearly my first stone off!. It's called the Love-Sick Diet! . I've had to give up coffee because i just get really obsessed with it and it affects me very badly. I hope that in giving it up my appetite won't increase though . The past few days i've struggled a bit getting 1600 calories down me which is v.v.unusual for me. Today so far all i have had is one small apple and a little chocolate soya pudding which is a total of 150 calories. The thought of cooking for others is making me feel quite sick actually.......

Great job cob! Sorry about your frustration with exercising though. Stupid knee. Wow, you're having trouble eating all 1600 and I'm having trouble not eating more. I'd switch with you in a heart beat!

I did an hour of Tae-bo today.

cobweb

yep, i'm happy that i've lost my appetite but also scared - this happen to me once before and i lost loads of weight really fast - then started eating again and piled it all back on.

Tae Bo is great Dia, i used to love it, makes you sweat doesn't it?.

^ sure does. I've been doing the same video for years! It's the only video I find challenging enough.

cobweb

Billy Blanks?

^ Yup! His outfits and the horrible 80s beats are great Oh, and of course his little motivation speeches I started muting it ages ago and putting on my own music.

I lost a few inches off my waist but none off my bust or hips. I'm worried I'm going to look out of proportion if I don't lose inches off the hips and bust. My waist is almost ten inches smaller. :/

BlackCats

^ You must be really hourglass Tigerlily. I hate my waist, all the alcohol I drink really shows up there.

I did 45 minutes trampolining yesterday and 25 minutes today. I have been eating tons though and I have gained back a pound. I'm getting a bit bored with doing the same thing though so I might get a video to do like a Tae Bo one.

If you want something challenging try Billy Banks Advance Tae Bo. It's an hour. 35 minutes of punching, kicking stuff, then like 15 minutes of butt work on the floor (I skip some because it's extensive! My ass gets so sore the next day), like 5 of abs (you are actually working abs the whole time though), tiny bit of stretching and a silly cool down which I never do. If it's too hard you can start with the basic, mine have both on one DVD along with instructional and some 8 minutes workout I think which I never use.
    Sorry, I'm such a Tae-Bo spokes-person.