Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,400 of 3031

Thread: What did you eat today? (13)

Default Re: What did you eat today? (13)

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ganic-(or-not-)

My opinion is that organic certification costs huge amounts of money, likely uses more animal products than non organic (blood, bone, manure and fish), opposes scientific advancement (hydroponic can't be organic), still uses pesticides and from what I've read has more chemical waste than non organic.

Quote Risker View Post
    http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ganic-(or-not-)

My opinion is that organic certification costs huge amounts of money, likely uses more animal products than non organic (blood, bone, manure and fish), opposes scientific advancement (hydroponic can't be organic), still uses pesticides and from what I've read has more chemical waste than non organic.
    You're going to have to send me a link to where you're finding this information because I can't seem to find it on Google, and the thread you've listed seems to have some pretty compelling reasons to buy organic.

Quote Back-Space View Post
    You're going to have to send me a link to where you're finding this information because I can't seem to find it on Google, and the thread you've listed seems to have some pretty compelling reasons to buy organic.
    Read all of the thread, I have several posts in there.

Try this - http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4019

I've read through most of it, but I still fail to see where you get your facts from. You seem to have alot of opposition in that thread aswell... I notice you and Harpy going at it, but Harpy had all the sources. Sorry, I don't agree with you. Read the first post in the thread.

Just an idea for the future... It's much easier to have people hear you out when you don't start on bad note. I attempted to hear your side, despite the sarcasm in your post putting me on the offensive to begin with.

I do have a lot of opposition because I've dealt with organic certification boards and researched the matter thoroughly. I'm sorry if my original post sounded negative but I've got to a point where I'm sick and tired of current organic legislation being almost universally approved by vegans, veganic I totally agree with however.

Quote Risker View Post
    I do have a lot of opposition because I've dealt with organic certification boards and researched the matter thoroughly. I'm sorry if my original post sounded negative but I've got to a point where I'm sick and tired of current organic legislation being almost universally approved by vegans, veganic I totally agree with however.
    Well I need to get some sleep, but perhaps I will look into this more thoroughly tomorrow. I also couldn't get your link open, but it may just be a safari issue.

And just out of curiosity... Do you buy nothing that's organic? Even the produce that's known for being laden with pesticides(some of them containing over 60 different pesticides)?

I buy the occasional organic product, out of necessity rather than choice though, I won't pay extra for it. 60 pesticides? really? Organic farming uses pesticides too you know.

I was so interested when you said you had onion rings. I spent atleast 20 minutes a few weeks ago thinking "I could go for some nice greasy onion rings right now
    If you can't find the Ore-Ida ones, I bet you could make your own. I should take my own advice....lol. I'm sure homeade would be much healthier.

Today:

hot quinoa cereal with an organic, yellow apple diced up, raisins, walnuts, maple syrup, cinnamon, soymilk
    glass of apple juice
    a rather large cinnamon bun with icing
    tofu scramble w/spinach, red onion, mushrooms, canadian bacun, tofutti cheese
    tater tots w/ ketchup
    english muffin w/ earth balance and marmalade
    2 huge mugs of decaf coffee with hazelnut coconut milk creamer
    1/2 muffin from WF (it wasn't very good and it has to be pretty bad for me to say that :-(. It was chocolate chip but very dry and just not very nice)
    teas (black decaf, lemon throat coat echinacea, winter spice)

RubyDuby

I just saw a recipe for onion rings n the ppk site.
    Back-Space, do you have the veganomicon by any chance? There's an awesome recipe for chickpea noodle soup. I'll pm you the recipe.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Quote Risker View Post
    I buy the occasional organic product, out of necessity rather than choice though, I won't pay extra for it. 60 pesticides? really? Organic farming uses pesticides too you know.
    Yeah, I just got that site open on firefox. I'll give you that, I was under the impression that no pesticides were used on organic foods. I watched a news program back home about foods that use the most amount of pesticides. http://green.yahoo.com/blog/daily_gr...e-residue.html

Quote veganwitch View Post
    If you can't find the Ore-Ida ones, I bet you could make your own. I should take my own advice....lol. I'm sure homeade would be much healthier.
    I was thinking of making frizzled onions to put on top of my veggie burgers when I have people over Kind of the same idea.... And yeah, probably much healthier home made, but less tasty

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I just saw a recipe for onion rings n the ppk site.
    Back-Space, do you have the veganomicon by any chance? There's an awesome recipe for chickpea noodle soup. I'll pm you the recipe.
    I'm not exactly sure what veganomicon is... I got the recipe, thanks I've got lots of stuff to make over the Christmas holiday now. Shouldn't be too hard to keep am omnivore vegan for a week

hot quinoa cereal w/ yellow apple, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, maple syrup, soymilk
    english muffin with earth balance and marmalade
    vegetable dumplings
    "chicken" lo mein
    a tangerine
    baklava
    potato chips w/ guacamole
    teas (mayan cocoa spice, echinacea, black decaf)

RubyDuby

coffee with plain Silk
    lentil couscous mcdougalls soup
    1 1/2 boca chicken sandwiches on ezekiel toast
    4 crunchy tacos made with gimme lean beef- lettuce, onion, hot sauce

Kimberlily1983

Okay, so not today, but this past weekend, I tried a few new things, while on a road trip to Ontario. I probably tried more than this, but this is what I remember: I had lotus for the very first time, mixed in with some Chinese veggies - very yummy! I also tried tabouleh for the first time, as well as soy protein nuggets and vegan saté at a Japanese restaurant. Mmm, me hungry now.

We bought a bunch of vegan faux meat and dairy products: salmon, shrimp, ginger and soy-peppered chicken, chicken nuggets, terrine, two kinds of vegan feta... Can't wait to try them all!

Quote Kimberlily1983 View Post
    Okay, so not today, but this past weekend, I tried a few new things, while on a road trip to Ontario. I probably tried more than this, but this is what I remember: I had lotus for the very first time, mixed in with some Chinese veggies - very yummy! I also tried tabouleh for the first time, as well as soy protein nuggets and vegan saté at a Japanese restaurant. Mmm, me hungry now.

We bought a bunch of vegan faux meat and dairy products: salmon, shrimp, ginger and soy-peppered chicken, chicken nuggets, terrine, two kinds of vegan feta... Can't wait to try them all!
    Hey, you're back How'd the dinner go? Where'd you go to in Ontario?

2 slices of oat nut toast with peanut butter
    glass of apple juice
    marinated portobello, sauteed and on bread with cheese and tomato
    steamed asparagus w/ sun dried tomato and soy sauce marinade
    potato chips
    dill pickle
    chocolate cream filled and frosted cupcake
    teas (mayan cocoa spice and black decaf....countless cups)

Default Re: What did you eat today?

Yesterday's menu included:

Fruit - banana, navel orange, apple
    Earl Grey tea
    Big green salad with cucumbers, carrots, celery, tomatoes, onions, black olives, and garbanzo beans
    Leftover spag
    Mixed nuts
    Flesh eating is unprovoked murder. ~ Benjamin Franklin

Kimberlily1983

Where'd you go to in Ontario?
    Well, we didn't do much in Ontario itself, actually. Just picked up speakers and an amp, and visited my partner's relatives briefly. We spent most of the time in Montreal, where we went to a Jeff Dunham show (not originally part of our plans, but we were held back by the storm and this was offered to us - show was quite funny), went to a few restaurants and had some awesome vegan food at the Hot & Spicy Restaurant (think that's what it's called). It wasn't a long trip - and it was longer than it was supposed to be because of the weather - but it was quite fun. The driving didn't feel as long as I expected it to... but I'm saying that as the passenger, haha.

RubyDuby

coffee and mojo
    split pea mcdougalls
    boca chicken sandwich
    salad
    seitan steak and brussels sprouts

Well, we didn't do much in Ontario itself, actually. Just picked up speakers and an amp, and visited my partner's relatives briefly. We spent most of the time in Montreal, where we went to a Jeff Dunham show (not originally part of our plans, but we were held back by the storm and this was offered to us - show was quite funny), went to a few restaurants and had some awesome vegan food at the Hot & Spicy Restaurant (think that's what it's called). It wasn't a long trip - and it was longer than it was supposed to be because of the weather - but it was quite fun. The driving didn't feel as long as I expected it to... but I'm saying that as the passenger, haha.
    Lol I love Jeff Dunham. Him with Walter, and Achmed And Achmeds Christmas song

I used to live in Southern Ontario, about an hour south of Toronto. My family still lives there. I guess the 402 had some crazy traffic jams. People were leaving their cars on the highway because of all the snow. Same with in my home town, the pictures of the snow they've got are insane...

I didn't have much today. Had my morning bagel and a banana and went to my job interview. Unfortunately everyone's having problems listing jobs because the job posting said permanent, and they're considering hiring people for a month or two.... I went to the grocery store to buy some food for when my friend comes over. I got some vegan veggie burgers, and looked at the cheese. It's a good thing I read the ingredients because the third listed was casein... Why the hell did they put that in there? Omni's aren't going to eat it, and neither are vegans.... No wonder they were fully stocked

Kimberlily1983

Lol I love Jeff Dunham. Him with Walter, and Achmed And Achmeds Christmas song
    Walter and Achmed are probably my favorites, as well. Yeah, he's pretty funny.

I'd have to say my favorite comedian is probably Adam Hills; you ever see him? He's awesome, because he manages to be hilarious while at the same time being nice. Most often comedians are funny through being insensitive, etc.; not this guy. Then again, Jeff Dunham and other ventriloquists can get away with being "nice", too, since it's generally their dolls, etc. that are the mean ones, haha... so maybe that doesn't count!

I love Carlin, too, to get about as opposite from Adam Hills as you can get. And you ever see Rod Gilbert's sketch on his luggage being lost at the airport? Funnyyy.

I went to the grocery store to buy some food for when my friend comes over. I got some vegan veggie burgers, and looked at the cheese. It's a good thing I read the ingredients because the third listed was casein... Why the hell did they put that in there? Omni's aren't going to eat it, and neither are vegans.... No wonder they were fully stocked
    Yuck, that's too bad. I can't stand when they do that... There are Veggie Patch chicken nuggets at our grocery store that I absolutely adored when I was vegetarian, and can't have now as there's egg white in them.

Walter and Achmed are probably my favorites, as well. Yeah, he's pretty funny.

I'd have to say my favorite comedian is probably Adam Hills; you ever see him? He's awesome, because he manages to be hilarious while at the same time being nice. Most often comedians are funny through being insensitive, etc.; not this guy. Then again, Jeff Dunham and other ventriloquists can get away with being "nice", too, since it's generally their dolls, etc. that are the mean ones, haha... so maybe that doesn't count!

I love Carlin, too, to get about as opposite from Adam Hills as you can get. And you ever see Rod Gilbert's sketch on his luggage being lost at the airport? Funnyyy.

Yuck, that's too bad. I can't stand when they do that... There are Veggie Patch chicken nuggets at our grocery store that I absolutely adored when I was vegetarian, and can't have now as there's egg white in them.
    I'll have to look some of those comedians up. I don't watch too many of them We just noticed Jeff Dunham a few years ago on tv and continued to watch. Then youtubed him to watch some more Veggie Patch is the brand we've got here aswell. I bought the Yves veggie burgers though because they're listed as being vegan. The Veggie Patch ones didn't say, and I don't know what some of the ingredients are.

Kimberlily1983

Veggie Patch is the brand we've got here aswell. I bought the Yves veggie burgers though because they're listed as being vegan. The Veggie Patch ones didn't say, and I don't know what some of the ingredients are.
    I think Veggie Patch's portobella burgers are vegan, but I'm not 100% sure... I don't think I've had them since going vegan... Their falafels definitely are, and are quite good.

We are big fans of Yves Veggie Cuisine products. Burgers, bacon, ground round, deli slices... Good stuff!

I think Veggie Patch's portobella burgers are vegan, but I'm not 100% sure... I don't think I've had them since going vegan... Their falafels definitely are, and are quite good.

We are big fans of Yves Veggie Cuisine products. Burgers, bacon, ground round, deli slices... Good stuff!
    Oh good I've been wondering how they taste because I know a few people haven't had much luck with store bought burgers. There were sausages there as well but I suppose Safeway isn't too worried about food going past its expiration date The best one I could find expired 3 days ago

Kimberlily1983

Oh good I've been wondering how they taste because I know a few people haven't had much luck with store bought burgers. There were sausages there as well but I suppose Safeway isn't too worried about food going past its expiration date The best one I could find expired 3 days ago
    Ugh, yeah, I've had that happen as well, with Yves Veggie Cuisine ham slices or something. We had already bought ours, opened them up and everything. We ate them anyway, and they were fine...

The Yves Veggie Cuisine Italian sausages, BTW, are nothing compared to Tofurky's Italian sausages with sun-dried tomatoes. The Yves Veggie Cuisine sausages make better hot dogs, IMO, whereas the Tofurky sausages might be my favorite meat replacement product, they're delicious.

Kimberlily1983

So I guess the way this is working is that we're being friendly and speaking to each other in one thread, and being mean and nasty and not speaking to each other in another? Well, aren't we multidimensional and silly...

. So I eat the spinach even though I hate it, and add the carrots to drown the flavour )
    I used to be the same about spinach and even more so about Aubergines!

I started by shredding spinach thinly in salad and chopping it up finely in curry to make sure I was getting the goodness but not the taste! Now though, I find I use it at every opportunity as I have grown accustomed to it and quite like it.

I had to be 'force fed ' Aubergine disguised in a variety of devious ways including deep fried as it was my lifelong pet hate ,but now I am actually quite fond of it ...deep fried anyway!

RubyDuby

saute spinach with garlic, salt and pepper. mmmmm

Yesterday:
    coffee and mojo
    salad- lettuce, pickles, olives, sweet vidalia dressing
    Veggie chicken sandwich made with one drumstick, lettuce, pickle, bbq sauce on Ezekiel toast
    2 more drumsticks
    orange juice
    peanut butter on Ezekiel toast
    Big Mac Salad:
    big bowl of lettuce topped with pickles, onions, croutons, gimme lean burger with melted daiya and homemade thousand island
    square of semi-sweet baking chocolate
    handful cashews

Ugh, yeah, I've had that happen as well, with Yves Veggie Cuisine ham slices or something. We had already bought ours, opened them up and everything. We ate them anyway, and they were fine...

The Yves Veggie Cuisine Italian sausages, BTW, are nothing compared to Tofurky's Italian sausages with sun-dried tomatoes. The Yves Veggie Cuisine sausages make better hot dogs, IMO, whereas the Tofurky sausages might be my favorite meat replacement product, they're delicious.
    We have Tofurky sausages there aswell I just kind of ignored them because it's alot easier to grocery shop when packages have vegan written across the front of it I'll have to go back and see if those are good (as in not expired) They look like they'd be pretty good, and I like how everything is fortified so I can eat junk food and still get all my nutrients.

So I guess the way this is working is that we're being friendly and speaking to each other in one thread, and being mean and nasty and not speaking to each other in another? Well, aren't we multidimensional and silly...
    Lol Speaking of which, I don't believe I've said anything mean to you today... Excuse me for a moment while I find that thread

Quote SlackAlice View Post
    I used to be the same about spinach and even more so about Aubergines!

I started by shredding spinach thinly in salad and chopping it up finely in curry to make sure I was getting the goodness but not the taste! Now though, I find I use it at every opportunity as I have grown accustomed to it and quite like it.

I had to be 'force fed ' Aubergine disguised in a variety of devious ways including deep fried as it was my lifelong pet hate ,but now I am actually quite fond of it ...deep fried anyway!
    The deep fryer was always my favourite method of cooking Atleast I'm not the only one who eats food they don't like just to get the nutrients from it. I thought that was weird What are aubergines anyway?

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    saute spinach with garlic, salt and pepper. mmmmm

Yesterday:
    coffee and mojo
    salad- lettuce, pickles, olives, sweet vidalia dressing
    Veggie chicken sandwich made with one drumstick, lettuce, pickle, bbq sauce on Ezekiel toast
    2 more drumsticks
    orange juice
    peanut butter on Ezekiel toast
    Big Mac Salad:
    big bowl of lettuce topped with pickles, onions, croutons, gimme lean burger with melted daiya and homemade thousand island
    square of semi-sweet baking chocolate
    handful cashews
    That might work too. Maybe I wouldn't be able to taste the spinach with the garlic I love pepper too... I eat probably a good tablespoon of that stuff a day

So far today I had a piece of toast. It was awesome
    And some orange juice.

What are aubergines anyway?
    It's the correct name for eggplant

Quote Risker View Post
    It's the correct name for eggplant
    Oh okay, thanks I hate that too

RubyDuby

Tofurkey sausages are the best!!

So far today:

Earl Grey tea
    5-minute pancakes with Smart Balance and maple syrup
    Tofurkey breakfast links
    orange juice
    Chickpea noodle soup
    black tea with lemon

eta: we ended up getting Wegmans buffet for dinner... some veggie balls, noodles and spring rolls.

Tofurkey it is I'll pick some up to day.

I need some broccoli too I keep reading all these health sites. Broccoli, avocados, and brussel sprouts.

I knew I forgot something! Should have written it down I got the Tofurkey sausages, almost $5.00 I got a whole bunch of fruits and vegetables... Everything except the broccoli. Oh well...

Kimberlily1983

I knew I forgot something! Should have written it down I got the Tofurkey sausages, almost $5.00 I got a whole bunch of fruits and vegetables... Everything except the broccoli. Oh well...
    Yeah, they're not cheap, those Tofurky sausages. But so worth it... We try to resist eating them all at once, and instead just fry one up, cut it up in little pieces, and serve it on top of beany stews or whatever else we're eating it can go with.

You sound like you're eating healthy... I've been eating a lot of junk lately, interspersed with the occasional healthy meal (like today, Mr. Noodles for breakfast, a potato with mushroom gravy for lunch - haha, balanced meal, 'eh? But then we had whole wheat pasta with vegan feta - yum! - and olives and pasta sauce: much better ). Our fridge is pretty low in greens and other veggies right now, time for us to hit the grocery store, too.

Today:

hot quinora with walnuts, dried apple bits, cinnamon, soymilk, maple syrup
    2 cups green chai w/ creamer
    green olive hummus w/ some rice crisp crackers and almost a whole piece of oat nut bread
    eggplant parmesan
    chocolate chip cookie from WF
    other tea (black decaf, pomegranate cherry green)

Yeah, they're not cheap, those Tofurky sausages. But so worth it... We try to resist eating them all at once, and instead just fry one up, cut it up in little pieces, and serve it on top of beany stews or whatever else we're eating it can go with.

You sound like you're eating healthy... I've been eating a lot of junk lately, interspersed with the occasional healthy meal (like today, Mr. Noodles for breakfast, a potato with mushroom gravy for lunch - haha, balanced meal, 'eh? But then we had whole wheat pasta with vegan feta - yum! - and olives and pasta sauce: much better ). Our fridge is pretty low in greens and other veggies right now, time for us to hit the grocery store, too.
    Lol, looking forward to eating them I actually haven't had anything like that yet. Lol, you should have seen my diet a few weeks ago. A whole bag of potato chips everyday I felt sick all the time, but it was awesome

Tried Teese Cheese for the first time last night and it was actually really good! I bought the nacho sauce kind, and melted it over blue corn tortilla chips, added some white onion, cilantro, pumpkin salsa, black beans and black olives. Delicious! http://www.chicagosoydairy.com/teese_vegan_cheese/

That was my dinner with a snack later of hot apple cider, a banana and some vegan marshmallows (I am so addicted to these, Dandies brand from the same people who make Teese).

Breakfast was homemade popcorn with Earth Balance and earl gray tea with vanilla almond milk and stevia. Lunch was veggie fried rice and a spring roll with cabbage. Bizarre eating day I suppose...lots of snackie foods!

RubyDuby

So far I've just had leftover chickpea noodle soup, Silk Nog, and orange juice,
    1/2 block Sweet & Sara Rocky Road Bark and a handful of cashews.

Dinner will be Broccoli cheese soup (Leahey Gardens with fresh broccoli added)
    Baked potatoes with smart balance and tofutti sour cream
    Sauteed spinach and mushrooms with roasted garlic

B: Fruit salad (apple, grape, plum)

L: Appetizer (bread, dipping oils, olives). Starter (garlic ciabatta). Main (sun dried tomato and brown lentil sausages, seasonal greens, glazed roasted carrots, mash, gravy). Dessert (chocolate orange brownie with cardamom ice cream and pistachio). Banana soya shake and a hot chocolate.

D: I'm still full right now but will probably have an M&S stir fry which at least has interesting ingredients and not just lots of carrot and cabbage, or a pumpkin sagwala (curry).

Just had a quick question for you guys I was wondering if the veggie burgers and sausages were meant to be frozen, or if it was alright to be refrigerated. I was showing my mom what I had bought and she said that they probably have to be frozen, but it doesn't say it anywhere

RubyDuby

If I buy them from the freezer section, I freeze them. Otherwise, the fridge is fine.

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    If I buy them from the freezer section, I freeze them. Otherwise, the fridge is fine.
    Okay thanks It says it can stay frozen for a month on the veggie burgers, but they were in one of the open refrigerators in the grocery store so... They'll be gone in a couple of days anyhow

Home made lentil and tomato soup with a toasted cheezly and tomato sandwich.
    Sweet & sour rice with vegetables (from a packet) with steamed broccoli and spring onions.
    Several choccie biccies.

Just made myself a lentil, corn, and green bean soup (not organic ) Pretty good I'm going to use the rest of the lentils, and maybe some black beans and rice to make some weird kind of stirfry later I've also got some asparagus I've got to learn how to cook...

A casserole that I adpated from the Q&E vegan celebrations mac n cheeze, toast with margarine and some tea

I had;
    porridge with soya milk & cinnamon
    sausage roll from Holland & Barrett
    'Jerky Jamaican' pastry thingy from Holland & Barrett (we spent near on £80 in there doing Xmas food shopping! crazy!)
    Banana provamel soya milk
    Red & white quinoa, fry's 'chicken' nuggets, steamed purple broccoli
    dark chocolate rice cakes
    "Life is life – whether in a cat, or dog or man. The idea of difference is a human conception for man’s own advantage."

yesterday:

english muffin with earth balance and marmalade
    tofutti pizza
    salad (romaine, baby spinach, tomato, cucumber, black olives, pumpkinseeds, dried cranberries, beets, red onion, shredded carrots, garbanzo beans, onion and poppy seed sticks, w/ poppy seed orange dressing)
    2 slices of bread with earth balance
    glass of silk nog
    teas (cinnamon vanilla, mangosteen green, black decaf)

RubyDuby

mmm Silk Nog.

Yesterday:

leftover broccoli cheese soup
    a potato with tofutti sour cream
    coffee
    orange juice
    a small piece of cigarillo- seitan and Daiya wrapped in a tortilla, deep-fried, and dipped in vegenaise. (omg)
    small bowl of bolognese (spirals and tempeh) and small piece garlic toast
    1/2 tofu sub
    salad greens with vinegrette

Kimberlily1983

I felt sick all the time, but it was awesome
    Haha, yes, sometimes it's good to be bad. I think what works best for me is eating healthy almost all the time, with the occasional cheat days of fries, cake, pop, etc. Make those cheat days the norm and you start to feel not so well...

Quote Wildflower View Post
    Tried Teese Cheese for the first time last night and it was actually really good!
    That stuff sounds good. That and Daiya. Have been wanting to try these...

What I have tried recently is Unisoya's soy feta, in the olive flavor and the sun-dried tomato flavor. Very delicious... Though I'll have to make sure these are vegan: the one iffy ingredient is "flavor" or "natural flavor". That's not an ingredient I obsess about, but I want to look into it before I ask the stores here to order it (I got it while in Montreal).