Thread: feeling free eating whole foods

Default feeling free eating whole foods

Hi everyone, before you read this I *love* raw food and think its very healthy (and tasty) but I thought I'd share my story just because I was so overwhelmed and feeling so sad a few weeks back and feel so good now, I want it to be here to help anyone else who has any problems.
    I tried going high raw this year since January. Started off fantastic making lots of yummy things and trying new foods but the more I read the more and more overwhelmed I got by nutrition and what is good/bad for me. It felt like I couldnt eat anything and though I tried to listen to my body or 'let go' I'd read something else and get confused again. Gradually I cut more and more things out for whatever reason...like I didnt want too much fat, grains were 'bad for me', obviously raw over cooked... I was basically living off fruit and salads because they were the only things I could eat without worryingI was doing it wrong, the weight dropped off and now weigh 6 stone at 5 ft tall and am looking emaciated I also found cooked or heavy foods really hard to digest and just got to the point where I felt like I'd never be able to eat anything again. My stomach was all gassy and bloated and horrible and I felt full after like 1 bite of salad even though I knew it wasnt enough. I also was really wanting to just eat something cooked, not junk food but a wholesome rice meal or something but I wouldnt let myself because maybe these cravings where my 'addiction to cooked food'.
    But in the end I made myself a baked potato and some rice the next day and really enjoyed both meals. I went to a naturopath about my digestion and she said my digestive system isnt strong enough for all that raw, also in chinese medicine its unbalancing for the spleen to eat that much raw (I have all the symptoms of spleen deficiency!) so she told me to eat all whole natural healthy foods but lots of warming things and grains and good fats! And I feel brilliant I still have loads of energy like when I was completely raw but its grounded and I suddenly feel so free with no restrictions on what I can eat, there are so many foods out there raw and cooked and I cant wait to try them all. My stomach isnt bloated anymore and has gone really flat and quite sexy which makes me think I'll gain weight in all the right places.
    So I'm not saying that raw food is bad, its wonderful, I have a raw pizza base dehydrating at the moment that I cant wait to eat with veg and pinenut cheese (I wouldnt have made that before because various ingredients weren't 'doing it right' or too much fat or whatever), but I feel so free knowing I dont have to be a certain percent raw or cooked to be healthy I can have what I like.
    So I wanted to share that really because it was horrible being so overwhelmed, so dont listen to all the extremists or people who talk about how UNhealthy things are but enjoy being on a healthy and natural diet and enjoy your food raw or cooked and concentrate on how GOOD for you everything is, food is nutritious!

Default Re: feeling free eating whole foods

i'm glad to hear you have found the right way for you!

i actually think just a tiny percentage of folk are 100% raw - most are high raw. certainly eating a healthy diet high in raw foods is my goal, not being 100%.

we're all different aren't we? what's right for us is the right way.

there are so many 'gurus' and professionals out there all with their own take on things - for me it's important to keep informed and make your own decisions.

Quote maidenofthewell View Post
    (I have all the symptoms of spleen deficiency!)
    What is spleen deficiency? I tried looking it up on google and the least vague explanation I could find was this video which is still about as vague as it's possible to be.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I dont know loads about chinese medicine but the 'spleen' is a term they use to describe the whole digestive process and also relates to other aspects of the mind-body like your thought processes, its connected to a sense of comfort and nourishment - the spleen likes to feel well fed and comfortable. Things that can lead to an unbalance include things like travel (which I did a lot of last year), and eating too much cold foods. I think its one of the big arguements against eating all raw food because the coldness can create an imbalance between yin and yang. Its really interesting, I had hardly any appetite and was really bloated/gassy but since eating whole grains (which the spleen loves, apparantly) and warming comforting soups I'm feeling loads more hungry. ( I suppose some raw foodists might say thats because I'm cooking all the nutrients out of my food?), and also very balanced in myself.
    I've also been reading a bit about Ayurvedic principles and think I'm probably a vata type and have been doing lots of vata imbalancing things (like travel), and again its a type that gets imbalanced by raw foods, so the cooked foods and increase in fats should balance that out too.
    Just ordered myself a big book on ancient asian medicine systems as it all seems so true and relevant.

Sounds like you have found out what works best for you I hope you are feeling much better now!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com