Thread: Travel without flying!

puca

Default Travel without flying!

I wanna see the world, but have issues with flying in that I hate planes anyway and also for the environment.

I'm aware that it's becoming increasingly popular for people who are concerned about the impact of flying on our climate, or just adventurous backpacker types, to travel by rail, ferry or bus.

Obviously, this isn't convenient for everyone, especially those who live much further away!

Anyway, I saw an excellent article in the Ecologist a few weeks ago about a website called The Man in Seat 61, which helps you plan journeys without flying.

I was wondering about people's experiences travelling over land. Are sleeper trains vegan friendly?

Anybody gone really far?

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

Default Re: Travel without flying!

I travelled through Europe, South East Asia by train and parts of the U.S and Canada, even though my travel was being paid for. I'm not afraid of flying, I wanted to see more of the countries . . . take the scenic routes and also arrive at my destination calm and fairly relaxed, rather than feeling like I'd been shot from a catapult and suffering the jetlag afterwards.

When I went to Norway, I sailed from Scotland, but flew from Norway to NZ without much sleep and 3 plane changes. I felt really rough!

I've mostly travelled with a back pack, my cat at the time and my equipment I had sent on ahead. I felt as though I was having little holidays between new cases.

When we move overseas again I want to do it as a cruise and enjoy the journey, especially with 5 cats, it's less stressful for all.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

thanks for the link puca, i've been thinking about this myself lately having just come back from holiday and being reminded how much i absolutely hate flying.

i'd love to go back to New York one day but it takes a week by boat and i'd be surprised if they cater to vegans very well. it's not so bad on a plane when it's only a few hours but if you're stuck on a boat for a week and the food's terrible it's going to be a very unpleasant journey!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I think Europe by train is pretty feasible, and probably quite a lot of north Africa. Some further afield bits might be difficult unless you had a lot of time on your hands. Was discussing with my friend from NZ the feasibility of coming home without flying and she thought it would take about three months, not sure if that's true though?

I hadn't thought about the sleepers being non-vegan though - you mean bedding etc? I'm afraid I don't worry about that sort of thing as it would probably make me decide to stay at home :-/

How was your trip Gorilla?

Quote harpy View Post
    How was your trip Gorilla?
    the flying itself was terrible - but i expected it to be. i think i tried to do too much and completely wore myself out, but overall i had a great time, thanks. i didn't get to see or do anywhere near all the things i'd like to do in New York - which is why i'm thinking about how i could get back there some day.

eta there are some descriptions and pics in the Vegas and New York threads if you're interested.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thank you, will have a look for those threads. Yes there is rather a lot to see (and eat!) in New York!

Quote harpy View Post
    Yes there is rather a lot to see (and eat!) in New York!
    Not to mention Las Vegas!

Quote puca View Post
    Are sleeper trains vegan friendly?
    I have taken Amtrak 3 times cross country. They have vegetarian and SOME vegan food (make sure you confirm and reconfirm and reconfirm before you leave).

However, each time I travelled they somehow "forgot" to load the vegan food before the train left Chicago. I suplemented the plain salad with food I kept in a cooler. Amtrak got a rather nasty letter from me each time. You would think by the 3rd trip, they would have learned!

Quote shellymi2nv View Post
    Not to mention Las Vegas!
    Yes, sorry shelly! I'm sure there is a lot to see there, and I haven't seen any of it yet.