View Poll Results: What are your views on breastfeeding during a child's first 12 months?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have/would exclusively breastfeed

200 66.45%
  • I have/would breastfeed and supplement with soy formula

56 18.60%
  • I have/would breastfeed and supplement with dairy formula

6 1.99%
  • I have/would feed soy formula

14 4.65%
  • I have would/feed dairy formula

3 1.00%
  • I don't have/would never have children

68 22.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Feelings on breastfeeding

Default Feelings on breastfeeding

I'm curious about views on breastfeeding during a child/ren's first year of life especially considering this is a vegan forum.

For me, I will always carry with me the disappointment in not being able to exclusively breastfeed my twins. I have been breastfeeding them since birth and supplementing with organic soy formula. They are now 8 months old and thriving. My personal belief is that all children should be exclusively breastfed whenever possible, formula should be a last resort.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote feline01
    For me, I will always carry with me the disappointment in not being able to exclusively breastfeed my twins. I have been breastfeeding them since birth and supplementing with organic soy formula. They are now 8 months old and thriving. My personal belief is that all children should be exclusively breastfed whenever possible, formula should be a last resort.

I feel like you have expressed you feel and applaud you for doing all you are for your babies. They have the best of both- breast and organic supplementation. Perfect.

PinkFluffyCloud

I exclusively breastfed my son til he seemed to need some solids, then combined the two.
    I never even considered NOT feeding him that way, yet the Nurses in the hospital where he was born were shocked that I hadn't even bought a bottle 'just in case'!!.
    Unfortunately my parents (particularly my mother), and my brother were DISGUSTED by my breastfeeding, and I was never 'allowed' to feed in front of them, which was awkward beacause I was spent a fair amount of time with them when Sam was a baby.
    I have been informed that some mothers 'can't' breastfeed - but is there any actual physical reason for this? (other than false breasts!!).

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I have been informed that some mothers 'can't' breastfeed - but is there any actual physical reason for this? (other than false breasts!!).
    For me, I nearly died the day I had the babies from HELLP Syndrome. I was given magnesium sulfate to prevent seizures so the babies were not allowed my breastmilk for 48 hours. I wasn't given the opportunity to pump during the first 24 hours because they were waiting to see if I was going to become more ill. Finally, a nurse brought me a pump which she told me to use 2 or 3 times a day. It should have been once every 1 to 2 hours!!! . I didn't find this out until the next day from another nurse. My milk never came in so when I got home, we arranged for a lactation consultant to come over (paid $150.00 for that, well worth it). She spent 3 hours with me and the babies giving advice and showing me how to breastfeed twins since they didn't do that in the hospital. I exclusively breastfed though they were a month premature and weighed a bit over 5lbs each. I gave it 4 weeks and rented a hospital grade breast pump during this time so I would alternate hourly feeding and pumping. It was horrible and they weren't gaining weight like they should have so I began supplementing.

I don't know what happened to my body but I'm assuming the trauma of HELLP prevented my body from properly preparing itself for breastfeeding. So yes, PFC, some women are unable to breastfeed .

I think I would like to breastfeed but when I won't be able to, I'll use some organic soy formula.

I think some women can't breastfeed because it hurts too much for them.

PinkFluffyCloud

Feline, sorry you had such a rotten time, I didn't really mean women with traumatic birthing experiences, and I wasn't intending to sound critical.

Some women I know who seem to have had a reasonably 'easy' ( ) labour/birth proceed to bottle feed, saying that they are 'unable' to breastfeed. Through my experiences with non-human animals, I would say that barren mothers are relatively rare, so I wondered if it was a psychological problem - or just that they don't want to admit that they don't want to breastfeed?

When took my son to a 'Mother and Baby' class, I was only one of two breast-feeding mothers in a group of approx 25!! I find that astounding!!

I talked to many women about this and among my friends who have had babies, I was the only one to breastfeed. Their reasons for not doing it were all the same, "too difficult." I think buying and preparing formula and washing all those bottles is a heck of alot more difficult. Plus, pediatricians in the US push formula on women. Free samples in the hospital and during office visits, coupons sent all the time. It's sickening. Then huge corporations like Nestle go into underdeveloped nations and tell the women that formula is better so they stop breastfeeding and start using formula mixing it with contaminated water and/or diluting the strength because they can't afford the formula. Agh!!!

PinkFluffyCloud

Yes, Feline, the whole formula industry stinks!
    And you're right, there's no way I could have been bothered with all that mixing, sterilising, washing bottles, etc!
    I didn't find breastfeeding atall difficult - just a little frustrating sometimes when I was stuck in a chair for an hour at a time, and there was no way (oBviously) that anyone else could help out!
    I think I probably found it easy because I really wanted to do it, it felt right, and I wasn't atall embarrassed about doing it.

Unfortunately my bra size went up from a 'C' cup to an 'F' cup - now 'down' to a 'DD' cup, which I could do without, and try to hide the best I can!! I would still do it all again, though.

We have a system set up at home. Hubby helps "load" the babies onto propped pillows so I breastfeed both at the same time and while I'm breastfeeding, he prepares the bottles and warms them so by them time they're done, they can go right to formula.

Darling daughter decided to take a bite this morning with her 2 wittle teeth. Awww. She was off the boob might quick once she did that and her dad had a talk with her.

Geoff

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Yes, Feline, the whole formula industry stinks!
    I've been boycotting Nestles for many years because of the unethical promotion of their formula: Sales people dressed as nurses, free supplies until mother's milk dries up then they pay through the nose (often a month's income for one tin) formula made up with dirty water so babies get diarrhoea and then become victims of the drug companies etc etc. And they're STILL doing it!
    More info at: http://www.babymilkaction.org/

Geoff

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Unfortunately my bra size went up from a 'C' cup to an 'F' cup - now 'down' to a 'DD' cup, which I could do without, and try to hide the best I can!!
    Bragging or complaining PFC?

im scared of how large my breasts will be when i have children
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I hope to breastfeed one day. I am not worried about the size of my boobs - my Mum lost hers after she breastfed my brother and I . And I have small boobs as it is (I wear padded bras LOL )

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote Geoff
    Bragging or complaining PFC?
    Definitely complaining, Geoffrey, they get in the way when running for the bus!!

Yes, PFC-the boobs certainly have taken on their own atmosphere since breastfeeding. I hoped they would have started shrinking since I'm down to BFing only twice a day but they're still hanging in there, or out there I should say .

banana, I never heard of a woman losing her boobs when she breastfeeds. It's usually the opposite. Still, even if the boobs decreased a bit-breastfeeding is the best thing for a baby and every mom should want what is best .

i'm never going to have children but i would guess that (hypothetically) if i did, i would want to breastfeed if possible.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla
    i'm never going to have children but i would guess that (hypothetically) if i did, i would want to breastfeed if possible.
    Yeah, I was never going to have children either .

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote feline01
    Yeah, I was never going to have children either .
    Me too!

i'm not sure i'm physically able to have children, and i have a phobia of pregnancy and childbirth, so i'm doing absolutely everything vegan to avoid getting pregnant, short of having a hysterectomy but i guess that's a different topic, sorry
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

PinkFluffyCloud

Gorilla, pretty much ditto for me - just shows you, eh!!?

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Gorilla, pretty much ditto for me - just shows you, eh!!?
    What a coincedence, PFC-me too! Me and my husband were told no way would we able to have kids, well biologically ours but I have the stretch marks to prove it

drummer

hey all you people, breast feeding is only natural, its exactly what babies need.
    And us vegans need to have kids, we need to breed more vegans!

I don't think all "us vegans" need to have kids. Sometimes I wonder if this isn't already an overpopulated earth. And sometimes, I look at how the kids are growing up today and wonder how I could ever place my own flesh and blood into that type of rat-race.

i totally agree with you on that one Roxy. there are already too many people in the world exhausting the planet's resources and destroying the environment. i'd rather try and educate the people who are already here.

sorry to take this off-topic again and no offence intended to those who have children

PinkFluffyCloud

I third that, but am glad to have my son, even though he has ruined my body!

I fourth that even though I love my babies more than anything in this world. I was very conflicted about bringing child(ren) into this world with the way it is and how many people are already here. It was a very difficult moral dilemma for me. I don't think everyone should be having children. In fact, I think many people shouldn't be having children but I'm not the parenting police.

I believe that babies should be breastfed; if possible, Formula should be the last resort. There are numerous benefits for the baby as well as the mother.

Not only are there benefits before the age of one but a nursing toddler receives numerous benefits also. My daughter is 19 months old and I will let her nurse until she is ready to wean.

The AMA encourages breastfeeding the first year of life, UNICEF encourages at least 2 years or whatever is mutually acceptable for mother and child. Breastfeeding for 2-4 years was the rule in most cultures since the beginning of human time on this planet. Only in the last 100 years or so has breastfeeding been seen as something to be limited.

I was one of the women that had very painful breastfeeding sessions with my daughter the first month after she was born. I would rather go through natural childbirth (I was in active labor for 14 hours) again than experience that pain I experienced through those nursing sessions. I had a lactation consultant who visited me, standard practice, at the birthing center where I delivered and she was latched on correctly. Our nursing sessions were no longer painful after the first month. They do have nipple shields for women who are having problems with their babies latching on, although at times that is discouraged.

PinkFluffyCloud

I had a great book (sorry, can't remember the title, doh!), and used it to prepare myself! Mind you I didn't anticipate any problems, and there weren't any, thankfully!
    Must be my optimism!

Yes there are a lot of good books out there

Here are a few I have:

The Breastfeeding Book
    This was my favorite, down to earth and straightforward.
    Breastfeeding and Human Lactation
    -very large hardcover book. It reads like a textbook, references to numerous case studies. It is over 800 pages.
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
    Published by the La Leche League, very informative.

Nursing Mother, Working Mother
    -very helpful when I working in the Corporate environment.

Guys, stop all this baby talk - you are making me more clucky then I already am . My boyfriend is gonna kill you guys - I have been hounding him to have a baby all day

In macrobiotic literature about raising children / breastfeeding, they sometimes suggest to introduce solid foods around the age of 6 months, but not soy formula. Instead, they suggest to start with mashed, over-cooked, almost liquid brown rice (and continue breastfeeding). Families with a history of food allergies also often delay the introduction of foods such as soy, peanut and strawberries until after the first birthday (according to this article on vegan children.

These articles also suggest that breast milk is enough for the first 6 months:
    http://www.purifymind.com/Pregnancy.htm
    http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/vegetarian.html

I guess it's difficult to follow fixed rules about this, since all babies and mothers are different. But one thing that almost all babies seem to have in common, is that they want to continue with breastfeeding much longer than what is considered normal nowadays in the 'modern', western hemisphere.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

I don't have children and my ideas about whether I want them or not changes daily, but I had never even contemplated NOT breastfeeding. In my mind it all just goes hand in hand. I've not really given much thought to how long I would feed for though. I guess that's something I'll read up on if/when I ever decide to have a baby (or I get pregnant!).

Geoff

Quote Leigh
    I don't have children and my ideas about whether I want them or not changes daily, but I had never even contemplated NOT breastfeeding. In my mind it all just goes hand in hand.
    Not so much 'hand in hand' but 'tit in mouth!'

You just can't help yourself can you??

I breastfed both of mine for their first year and the thought of not doing it never even crossed my mind (unlike my friend who said while pregnant 'I'm not getting my tits out in public' ) I think I was lucky because I had absolutely gallons of milk and it was very easy for me to breastfeed.
    However, I can honestly say that I would rather go through labour with no pain relief (as I did) than go through the agony of the day my milk came in. I expanded 7 inches overnight, my breasts were rock hard, red hot, throbbing and just pouring milk. It was agony and was truly the most pain I have even been in! I never want to go through that again
    BUT if I ever did get pregnant again (NO CHANCE!!) I would breastfeed. It feels like the most natural thing in the world, and my partner helped too (as I fed from one side, the milk just poured out the other (I never had to use a pump to express!) and I collected it in a bottle, so he could feed it to baby while I was unavailable. I really don't understand why anyone would choose to go through all the hassle and expense of bottle feeding if they have the chance to breastfeed

I also hate Nestle et al. Soya formula is no better as there are very big question marks over how it affects babies health.

BTW - why is it that when a woman says she doesn't want children, everyone automatically says 'yeah sure, you'll change your mind in time' etc? Some people really do not want to have children (ever) and we should respect their decision, without assuming they're just being naive and they will change their minds!!
    ~I used to be sane but it drove me mad~

yikes Left of Centre another thing to put me off getting pregnant (like i needed one!) sorry you had such a bad experience

i don't know why people always think a woman will change her mind if she doesn't want kids at some point in her life. people always tell me i'm only young and i'll want children eventually. well, i know myself a lot better than they do, and i'm pretty sure i'm not going to change my mind.

I'm with you Gorilla, no kids ever!

PinkFluffyCloud

I think it's great when a woman knows for definite she does not want kids, and I would never try to change her mind!
    It's just that sometimes fate has a way of taking over sometimes.............like, I was SURE I did not want children - til I had one!!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I think it's great when a woman knows for definite she does not want kids, and I would never try to change her mind!
    It's just that sometimes fate has a way of taking over sometimes.............like, I was SURE I did not want children - til I had one!!
    Ditto Pink. I would never try to convince someone they wanted kids. Heck, I see/hear daily the horrors of people who should have not given birth. But yes, fate does sometimes take over. I knew I was not having children from age 12 onwards all the way up to 34 years old. Then, bam! Something changed. I still don't care much for babies though I love mine .

PinkFluffyCloud

Yes, I am NEVER clucky or broody round babies atall, yet my own - just felt 'right'.

I'm so glad to hear I'm not completely alone in my thinking! I had not particularly wanted kids for a long time and around age 24 I went through a stage where I was desperate for a baby, but it passed. Now it seems to come and go. I quite like babies, but really don't have a lot of interest in other people's children. I feel like I don't know what to do with them! I think I've always thought it would be different if they were my own. I figure that if it happens it happens and if it doesn't then my life was obviously meant to take a different path. I haven't been on the pill for about 2 years (all those evil chemicals playing around with my body!!) so I guess I can't be too 'anti' babies or I'd be doing something about protection...

Quote Leigh
    I think I've always thought it would be different if they were my own.
    That's what I thought. I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my kids to death and would lay down my own life for them, but I don't actually like children at all. They kinda scare me, I feel slightly intimidated by older children/teenagers and mostly, they just annoy the hell outta me (but then so do lots of things).
    I never had any maternal instinct whatsoever - never even held a baby until I had my own - but I'd never really been anti or pro children. It just kinda seemed like the next logical step in our relationship. I did, however, have to do an awful lot of learning and soul searching as my own parents made a complete hash of mine and my brothers lives while we were growing up, and provided no positive role model to follow.

I would say that I am a 'good enough' mother, and I shower my kids with love, affection and praise while giving them the boundries they need to be well adjusted people. I was thrilled when I became pregnant (both kids were totally planned) but never assume you'll just 'click' when you have your own child. It's hard work at the best of times, but more so if you have no experience or positive role models to draw from. Maybe my experience is clouded because I suffered from severe Post Natal Depression, who knows?
    I must sound like a child hating monster now! I'm not - honest!
    ~I used to be sane but it drove me mad~

I completely understand Left of Centre. I do absolutely love my babies more than anyone else in the world. However, I don't feel like a natural mom. I hug them, play with them, shower them with kisses but honestely, I was scared to be alone with them until about a month ago. I needed my husband to help me do the basic caring for them. Even now, I can't say I'm completely comfortable caring for them alone and I don't do it too often mainly because my husband hates to be away from them (whew!). I think I'll be more comfortable as they get older and more independent. I have never have been nor will I ever be a "baby person."

It's going to be really difficult when I get the babies involved with the vegan playgroup and have to be around all those kids. Yikes.

Default Re: Feelings on breastfeeding

I hear ya. I luv pregnancy, i think it is so beautiful and feminin. I even went to a doula school for a bit (couldnt finish for a few reasons, but plan on going back). And being around all those babies and pregnant wymin, well it rocked and i so wanted one. However!! lol

Until my life is solid, and i totally kno how to do the vegan familiy thang (cuz ya gotta kno how to counter the logic of doctors! etc), there is no way i could do that now without regrets, or sadness. I dont feel totally comfortable with kids yet, i do kno that it gets better. But, in my current state, i would feel so trapped.

I will proly have a few... lol, just not now.

*oh yeah, and uhm, a Vegan man by my side! lol
    "Stand your ground this is what we are fighting for.." -VNV

I'm also a firm believer that our plant is way too overpopulated and will never have have children myself for a variety of reasons. However, I'm 100% pro breastfeeding, if the mother is able. I feel like it's sooo much better for the baby than any kind of formula could ever be.

I breastfed both my boys and still am breastfeeding my 13 month old. I did supplament with soy formula with my first but my second never had formula at all. I did start giving him soy milk last month and he loves it.

my daughter, xylia, was exclusively breastfed until she was 6 months old, then we slowly introduced solid foods.

she's a fruit fiend.

since about a year old, she's been having soy yoghurt with sprouted flax or oatmeal made with soymilk on a daily basis.

she's still nursing 2-3 times a day, and i'll let her self wean. i'm hoping she'll nurse until at least two years old.

Thought you guys would be interested:
    "Studies show that a vegetarian mother's breast milk has significantly lower levels of pesticide residue than a non-vegetarian's.[14]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

I don't have any children but if I did, I would exclusively breastfeed my baby the first months. I'm very confident that I have a well balanced diet and I don't think any formula in the world could do as well as my (vegan) milk. I have a good immune system which I think is a result of my diet (I can't even remember how many years ago since I had a cold...). BUT having said that - if I'm not able to nurse for some serious reasons, I wouldn't stress myself out about it either. I would have to accept the second best option and be thankful that there is one.

So many women are put on a guilt trip if they can't do it, and it has almost become a stigma these days if a mother does not nurse her baby. That's wrong too and creates so much stress and negativity around child rearing (like it's not hard enough with a new kid than having to deal with judgments from other women too!). Some women need to be on medication for physical or mental illnesses and don't want to transmit that through their milk. It might be a difficult but a necessary choice.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.