View Poll Results: What are your views on breastfeeding during a child's first 12 months?

Voters
301. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have/would exclusively breastfeed

200 66.45%
  • I have/would breastfeed and supplement with soy formula

56 18.60%
  • I have/would breastfeed and supplement with dairy formula

6 1.99%
  • I have/would feed soy formula

14 4.65%
  • I have would/feed dairy formula

3 1.00%
  • I don't have/would never have children

68 22.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Feelings on breastfeeding

Default Re: Feelings on breastfeeding

No, I haven't talked to anyone from LLL. I'm sure I could do it, but I know when my daughter was a newborn, I felt like that's all I did. It would take her 45mins to 1 hr. to eat every 1 1/2-2 hours. I can't imagine nursing another child on top of that. How would I take a bath or go to the bathroom?! LOL. Seriously, though, I know myself pretty well and I think that might send me over the edge stress-wise, at least in the newborn phase. But, if we don't end up weaning before I get pregnant again, I guess we'll figure something out!

I have/would breastfeed and supplement with soy formula

My sister is allergic to cows milk and has had soya milk her whole life she grew up just fine (she is 16 now).
    What you tolerate, you encourage.

I don't have any children (maybe yet - not sure if I ever will - I'd love to be a mother but am not sure I can do the pregnancy thing (they also don't know if/how chronic fatigue syndrome affects babies) - and time is whirling by) but my aim would be to do it all breastfeeding as long as that was working and healthy for us both.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Jippia

We do not have children, but I think that if we would have them, I would breastfeed them. My sister did that with my niece almost until her first birthday and so did my friend with her two children. I do not know of a vegan soy substiture for breastmilk here in the Netherlands, but maybe that is because I have never looked into the matter properly since I have never had any children so far.

I always admire women who breastfeed their babies. I do not disgust by the sight of it. Personally, I do not see why that would be disgusting. I think it is cute watching a baby being fed by his/her mother.

Breastfeeding is absolutely the best thing you can do for your baby (if you can) Alot of women say they "can't" but really alot of the time I really think there not committed to it.........It does take effort but it is your child!!!
    Women with implants can BF...it's the women who have had a reduction that can't.
    I found it to be one of the most enjoyable experiences...I know that may sound odd to you ladies with no children but it really is a true bonding experience.
    A xoxo

While I completely agree that breastfeeding is the best for your baby there ARE some women who cannot breastfeed despite every attempt possible to do so. It is not a case of them not being committed to it, sadly it just does not work.

I was unfortunately one of those women and although I tried everything imaginable it just would not happen, I could not have been any more committed. After going through weeks of trying, my daughter not having fed properly for days and my breasts pouring (and no, I am not exaggerating) with blood and being in complete agony I finally had to admit defeat.

Now at this point the best thing for me and my daughter would have been to have had the support needed but both my mother (who delighted in telling me that I was an unfit mother and not capable of anything) and the health visitor just made me feel like I was a complete failure. This contributed to the terrible depression that followed where I believed everything they said.

If I do ever have another child I will try once again to breastfeed and hope that this time it worked, but, if it did not I would not think of myself as a failure again.

This isn't a dig at anyone by the way, just something I feel very strongly about having gone through the experience.

Scarlett I totally agree with you...I didn't mean to offend...I was talking about my experience with some friends who I knew deep down didn't want to BF.
    Not being able to or even not wanting to doesn't make anyone an unfit mother by any stretch. You did the best you could and thats all that matters.

I think that the confusing thing about the OP and the Poll is that it assumes that someone is planning not to breastfeed.

I think that to assume that all women can, or decide to do it for a year or two is really to assume too much.

Clearly, we can't predict the future, and breastfeeding just don't work, for whatever reason, for some women.

I am curious on how a person could assume it wasn't vegan to breastfeed. That's a slightly different discussion (and one that's more interesting, IMO).
    context is everything

seitan

im opposed to humans breeding, but if they do, then breast feeding has got to be the only way!

Quote scarlett View Post
    While I completely agree that breastfeeding is the best for your baby there ARE some women who cannot breastfeed despite every attempt possible to do so.
    Sorry, Scarlet that you had to go through so much mental and physical pain.
    I have friends who for various serious reasons were unable to breastfeed. I would not in a million years judge them for not doing so. Their kids got good quality food and lots of loving care, that's what counts. We should be happy there are alternatives out there available. I'm sure there was a time when it wasn't and THAT must have been horrible. Women have to just stop judging women and ease up a little (no criticism towards anyone here, you're all great.)
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I am new here and ran across it. I feel so strongly about how amazing BF is that I just had to put my 2 cents in.

I BF my son for 13 months before he self weaned (which was a little early to self wean, had I known what I know now I would of kept offering, rather than just say, "hmm, must be done"). My mother did not breastfeed us, my MIL only BF for 3 months each kid.

My daughter and I have had this great BF relationship for 18 months now, and I don't see her stopping anytime soon. I have BF her in public, while teaching my Tae Kwon Do class, in the car, at the swimming pool, At funerals, in church, anywhere and everywhere. We don't normally cover with a blanket, unless I want her to take a nap. No one has ever said anything negative to me. Yes, I end up flashing a little boob every now and then, but who doesn't want to see more boob in public?

My advise to anyone who is expecting or plans on adopting is to start going to La Leche League meetings immediately and get with the hospitals lactation consultant a couple times before having the baby, take as many classes as you can. Plus, get in touch with a BF mommy that you are close to that you can call anytime with questions. Get a boppy pillow (you will use this for more than just feeding). Get a comfy chair. Write up a birthing plan and make sure you tape it on the babies bassinet, highlight your breasfeeding wishes, make the nurses read it.

BF doesn't just happen, I find it harder in the first 3 days than labor and birth. After 6 weeks it seems easier, there are still times that it may be tough. After 3 months it is so easy, if you get off to a good start. At 18 months she as become such a pro, on and off within a couple minutes.

The women I have known who have BF for a short time and say they couldn't because the pediatrician, nurse or doctor said thay had to stop because of slow weight gain, poor suck, breastmilk doesn't have the right nutrients, etc. I think it is easier for the medical profession to say, "here is a bottle of formula", rather than deal with whatever the real problem is. I know that there are many women/babies that just couldn't do it, I am not saying that every mom and baby can become a successful nursing couple. My pediatrician has asked many times when are we planning on weaning? I say when she is ready, I'm not.

Good luck to all the future breastfeeding mommies out there (and daddies too, because it helps to have that support).
    Cows milk for baby cows, Human milk for baby humans.

I definitely plan to breastfeed if/when I have children.
    If for some reason I can't (physical problem or adoption) then I'd use soy formula.

edit: re. imblissful's comment, I might get donated breasmilk if possible or hire a wet nurse if possible. Indeed, there are more options than merely my breastmilk or formula.

Don't forget there is also donated breastmilk. Although it is expensive. That should of been one of the choices at the beginning of the post.

Qaxt

I'm not a female, but I definitely support breastfeeding, and I would totally do it if I were able to (some people say it's possible...) and if I had kids. If the mother CAN'T breastfeed, then formula is fine, but I really think everyone should breastfeed.

I have/am exclusively breastfeeding all my kids. I also pump and donate breastmilk via MilkShare to babies in need.

veganf-good for you for donating! I know many mothers who have had to use donated breastmilk, and they are so thankful for it. I wish that I could of donated, but my daughter ended up using every once at day care, no matter how much I pumped.

greenleaf

---
    Last edited by Korn; Dec 27th, 2009 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Deleted. This is about breastfeeding. 'Irresponsible' to have children? Post in another thread.

I would never do pregnancy. I would rather adopt, personally. Also, I'm not attracted to the opposite sex, so there won't be any accidental pregnancies.

If I somehow adopted a baby younger than a year old, I would use soy formula and look for a wet nurse. I think most adoptees are older than that, though, due to the complicated adoption process, right?
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote Allison_Veg View Post
    I found it to be one of the most enjoyable experiences...I know that may sound odd to you ladies with no children but it really is a true bonding experience.
    A xoxo
    Yes, once you get past the pain of the first few days it just gets better and better. It's amazing the way your body adapts to the needs of your baby and breast feeding is eventually a truly blissful experience, it feels like creating perfect nourishment from love.

I have 3 children (wrong,wrong,wrong!!! ) who were all breastfed for at least 2 years each. At the time, the soy formula provided by the NHS contained beef tallow, and anyway I didn't want to use formula. I introduced ordinary soya milk gradually from about 6 - 9 months.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote kokopelli View Post
    Yes, once you get past the pain of the first few days it just gets better and better. It's amazing the way your body adapts to the needs of your baby and breast feeding is eventually a truly blissful experience, it feels like creating perfect nourishment from love.
    Your body produces the hormone Oxytocin when you breastfeed thats why it feels so good I really enjoyed breastfeeding and genuinely feel sorry for women that can't/ unable to experince this wonderful thing

Quote Sunkist View Post
    Your body produces the hormone Oxytocin when you breastfeed thats why it feels so good
    Orgasmic!

Another thing...bottle feeding is just way more trouble.
    Why bother, when your bountiful bosoms can do the job better, with more fun & less fuss!

Quote kokopelli View Post
    Another thing...bottle feeding is just way more trouble.

I could never understand why any woman would choose to bottle feed her child milk from another species,but of course its all just cultural ignorance and brainwashing. I really think if I wasn't vegan and met my ex-partner, then I might of been one of those 'majority' (sadly). I never really thought about it much before I had a child,( my mother never breastfed and neither did my sister). But its every childs birthright to be breastfed and who can be bothered with bottlefeeding,- I had to feed my youngest a bottle for a few months(my own breastmilk) and it was such a hassle! - When I see babies being bottlefed today I feel saddened not only for the baby but for the mother,-all that washing up, sterilizing bottles, sleep deprivation,-why would anybody want to bottle feed their baby ! its such a shame but this is a crazy f*cked world we live in .By the time I had my third child I realized that child rearing was so easy and as a result he was a perfect baby,- I breastfed him for 3 years , we co-sleep, I carried him around in a sling for 2-3 years ,- he's never had a dummy or a bottle! and I breastfed my daughter for 5 1/2 years, she naturally self weaned herself from me.

I only think bottlefeeding should be an option in 'exceptional 'circumtances and with donated breast milk. Statistics show that only 1-2% of mothers have problems with breast feeding.

*It may have shocked a few of you that I breastfed my daughter for 5 1/2 years?

My daughter is still nursing, and she's turning 4yo in two months. I can believe it!
    context is everything

Ruziko

It's worrying some have chosen the cow's milk in the poll, especially vegans who I hope, realise cow's milk isn't intended for human consumption, especially young children.

That said, I'm not going to have children, but I believe in breastfeeding whenever it is possible to (I know some women don't produce enough milk or have trouble in other ways so they should use soy formula or something similar - not cow's or any other animals milk). Breastfeeding is natural, and I don't understand why someone would be disgusted by doing it. I can understand people not wanting to see breasts asunder but not doing at all just because it's disgusting? Strange.

rxseeeyse

yes, it is definately strange to think something so natural as disgusting, but that's all the public brainwashing gets people.

anyways, I would personally love to feed my children (in the future) since I'm not even married. I'm not sure how long would I be able to do the job, I think until they can eat solid foods or something like that. I don't know much about babies but I definately love to find out more

I fed my 4 year old until she was 3.

xxx Lou

(Proudly!)

xxx Lou

Quote Ruziko View Post
    It's worrying some have chosen the cow's milk in the poll, especially vegans who I hope, realise cow's milk isn't intended for human consumption, especially young children..
    This reply is rather late but I just wanted to point out that the poll asks about what people did as well as what they would do. Some people probably had their children a while ago before they were vegan and the cows' milk issue may not have occurred to them back then.

Kimberlily1983

First and foremost, I don't have and don't intend to ever have children. If I did have a child (or if I ever adopt), I would exclusively breast-feed if possible, and if not (for whatever reason: the baby being allergic to my milk, or problems producing enough milk, etc.) I would exclusively use or supplement with soy formula. I would never use dairy formula.

cobweb

^ is it actually possible for a baby to be allergic to it's own mother's milk?

Kimberlily1983

Quote cobweb View Post
    ^ is it actually possible for a baby to be allergic to it's own mother's milk?
    I have not looked into it myself, but I've been told by a relative that yes, it's possible. She wanted to breast-feed her son and was told she couldn't because he's allergic. I'm not sure how they know this exactly... If there were physical signs, or if they ran tests or something... Dunno!

cobweb

Quote Kimberlily1983 View Post
    I have not looked into it myself, but I've been told by a relative that yes, it's possible. She wanted to breast-feed her son and was told she couldn't because he's allergic. I'm not sure how they know this exactly... If there were physical signs, or if they ran tests or something... Dunno!

(no offence intended) - I think that sounds suspiciously like one of the various excuses women give for not breastfeeding, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong so I'll have to investigate!.

I have just become a great aunty for the fourth time. I'd like to say I'm happy, but I'm not. I'm so distanced from my family (bar it's vegan members) that it's like they don't exist. My neice feeds her children whatever crap she can afford and she has never breastfed any of them. They are all sickly, snotty children who rarely look healthy. If that's not an advert for a breastfed vegan childhood, I dunno what is.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

As a Mum of 2, I can tell you that I breastfed and supplemented. I never went into active labour with my kids due to having emergency c-sections both times, so my production was never enough. That being said, I breastfed until my milk dried up when I went back to work. One thing about living in Holland was the mat leave is the shorted in Europe, 4 months starting when you are 8 months pregnant. Working full-time with a new baby was exhausting and led to me only being able to breastfeed my first one 4 months and my second one 5 months.

A friend of mine who is a peds nurse said that a baby only gets the antibodies from the mum for the first 6 weeks after birth, then it's just milk, but I wanted to do the best I could for my kids.

I chose breastfeeding with supplements of soy formula. I chose this because in my family, the women don't produce a lot of milk (my sisters doctor recommended only formula and don't even try breastfeeding!) I feel that I would be able to provide some milk for my child, so why not use it??

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I have just become a great aunty for the fourth time. I'd like to say I'm happy, but I'm not. I'm so distanced from my family (bar it's vegan members) that it's like they don't exist. My neice feeds her children whatever crap she can afford and she has never breastfed any of them. They are all sickly, snotty children who rarely look healthy. If that's not an advert for a breastfed vegan childhood, I dunno what is.
    Amen to that!!

cobweb

Can I ask the women who say they don't produce much milk - I know, in nature, some animal mothers are 'barren' so it does happen, but doesn't it work that if a baby keeps suckling, more milk will be produced? (not having a go at any one, just curious!!).

Quote cobweb View Post
    Can I ask the women who say they don't produce much milk - I know, in nature, some animal mothers are 'barren' so it does happen, but doesn't it work that if a baby keeps suckling, more milk will be produced? (not having a go at any one, just curious!!).
    The baby suckling only produces so much. It doesn't necessarily produce as much as the baby needs. My first weighed 11 pounds 11 ounces (5040 grams), so I never made enough to appease her from the start.

I have quite a few friends who never produced enough and had to supplement and a couple friends who never produced milk at all. I think it's more common that people think, because women don't talk about it, often feeling like they aren't good enough since it happens to them.

You also have to consider that any kind of stress can effect milk production. One major stress is how quickly a woman has to return to work.

cobweb

^ wow, 11lbs!!!!. I'm not sure if the size of the baby automatically = the amount of milk they require though. My boy was a very 'average' birth weight but grew bigger and stronger at an amazing rate, he seemed to be constantly hungry (and maybe I was lucky but I had no problems feeding him myself, though he did start on 'solid' foods a bit on the early side whilst still being breastfed).

I'm sure that pressure to return to work can be a major problems, yes. I didn't have a choice as childcare costs prevented me going back to work, and anyway I was always feeding the baby!.

I personally think that any amount of breastfeeding is benefitial to the baby, especially in the newborn stage, if the woman can produce milk. A friend of mine hardly had any milk at all, but she kept trying and could usually manage 1 feed a day. Got to be better than none!

cobweb

Quote TXvegan View Post
    I personally think that any amount of breastfeeding is benefitial to the baby, especially in the newborn stage, if the woman can produce milk. A friend of mine hardly had any milk at all, but she kept trying and could usually manage 1 feed a day. Got to be better than none!
    Yes I agree with you there.

Quote cobweb View Post
    My sister and mother had to stop breast feeding cause they were not producing ANY milk, and believe me..they tried...lol!!
    Its weird how nature can work sometimes

Quote txvegan View Post
    the baby suckling only produces so much. It doesn't necessarily produce as much as the baby needs. My first weighed 11 pounds 11 ounces (5040 grams), so i never made enough to appease her from the start.
    wow!!

A friend of mine who is a peds nurse said that a baby only gets the antibodies from the mum for the first 6 weeks after birth, then it's just milk, but I wanted to do the best I could for my kids.

This is not true. (And I am also a peds nurse!). The immunological benefits last as long as you breastfeed, be it 6 weeks, 6 months, or 6 years.
    I am currently nursing my 1 year old and my almost 4 year old.

Wow I am really happy the immunological benefits last that long - i am still bfeeding my almost three year old

Kimberlily1983

Quote cobweb View Post
    (no offence intended) - I think that sounds suspiciously like one of the various excuses women give for not breastfeeding, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong so I'll have to investigate!.
    Oh, no worries, I'm not offended. Hmm, I'll look into it, too, to be sure... It's possible she made it up or misunderstood what the doctor told her, or perhaps the doctor dumbed down the information he gave her (as they often do), or perhaps the doctor was plain wrong... I do know better than to just trust something to be true because a doctor tells me (I swear!), so I suppose I shouldn't have passed on this info (that babies can be allergic to mom's milk) without checking into it first...

It does seem odd that a baby could be allergic to her mom's milk. It seems more likely that something in the milk would be bothering her - something in the mom's diet, for instance. But I don't know much about these things...

~

Okay, a brief Google search hails sites that say, yes, it's possible, but more sites saying (from a quick look), that no, babies can't be allergic to the actual milk, but they can be sensitive to certain proteins in it. This from Kathy Kunn, a registered nurse and expert on breast-feeding, on iVillage (see the site below), first paragraph of the article:

It is not really possible for your baby to be allergic to your breastmilk. Sometime, however, babies can be sensitive to proteins in the mother's milk from foods she has ingested. There have been some reports of bloody stools in infants who are sensitive to food in their mom's diet. The most common offender is cow's milk protein (Jakobsson I, et al 1985) (Odze et al 1996).

From: http://www.ivillage.com/can-baby-be-...ilk/6-n-137038

Interesting... Now I'll know to bring this up next time someone claims their baby is allergic to their breast milk.

Quote Kimberlily1983 View Post
    I didnt think it was actually possible until a girl in the bed opposite me in the labour ward had exactly this problem! She was a real 'earth mother' and desperate to feed her son but every time she tried he suffered with severe stomach cramping and vomitting. Eventually on the advice of medical staff she gave up and started to bottle feed him. Admittedly, I had never heard of it before or since!

Btw..with regard the poll I totally breastfed my daughter for 18 months and my son for nearly two years . I enjoyed every minute.

Kimberlily1983

Quote SlackAlice View Post
    I didnt think it was actually possible until a girl in the bed opposite me in the labour ward had exactly this problem! She was a real 'earth mother' and desperate to feed her son but every time she tried he suffered with severe stomach cramping and vomitting. Eventually on the advice of medical staff she gave up and started to bottle feed him. Admittedly, I had never heard of it before or since!
    We've actually been discussing this a bit more (see comments following the one you quoted), and it seems that, according to some anyway, it's not possible, but what is possible is for the baby to be allergic/sensitive to certain proteins in the mother's milk, present due to the mother's diet. If the mother eliminates the offending food from her diet, the baby should be fine drinking her milk. The most common protein is, surprise surprise, casein. Yet another health-related reason to avoid dairy!