Thread: vegan child, picky eater

Default vegan child, picky eater

My daughter and I have only been vegan for a bit over 2 months. My daughter is 28 months old.

Well since going vegan my daugher has gone to a picky eater to a super super picky eater.

In the beginning she did great, she has always loved her fruits and veggies anyway..especially raw veggies. she would literally eat an entire bushel of broccoli in one sitting..day after day.

Not anymore. I can't get her to eat anything. In the past 3 weeks all she has eating is cheerios, fries (vegan), chik n boca burger (I slice into fry shapes), and ramon (vegan) noodles. Oh and spagetti and rice also. These same meals over and over and over again. If even that much..sometimes she just wont eat.

I offer her way more than that...she just won't eat anything. She gets plenty of variety and choices but she wont even try it, she says "yuck" and doesn't even know what it taste like. If it looks different, smells different..is different in any way she turns her nose up.

I've tried an alternative version of her faves with no luck.

I've tried a healthy version of fries, making sweet potato fries, she wouldn't even eat one. She did kinda try it but then refused to eat it after.

I've made my own healthy pasta from scratch, added veggies and hidden purees to at least add some nutrition to what she's eating and she turned the pasta down completely. Her favorite food she wouldn't touch because I altered it to make it healthier seems it about all she eats.

I tried added some veggies to her rice and bought the plain kind that's not high in sodium..she wouldn't even touch it. I've tried a few rices that are vegan the only one she likes is the one high in sodium but if I alter it she wont even eat that much.

I'm really worried about her and I am at a loss. She's not getting her calories, she's not getting her nutrients, the only things she will eat are not the healthiest. Plus like I said, I give her options and healthy food..she just wont eat it. If I don't give her options she will starve herself because hungry or not she wont eat it. Lose/Lose situation. She has even lost some weight.

I was temped to take her off this vegan diet, it sure would make her dad happy *sigh* but I REALLY don't want to. I don't know what to do. Any advice?

P.S. Please excuse typos, grammar...my spell check don't work.

Default Re: vegan child, picky eater

Just remember, all kids are picky eaters. All the omni kids I see will eat nothing but mac and cheese, chicken fingers, fries and pizza. I don't think taking her off a vegan diet will help at all! Sounds like she's going through her autonomy stage and saying no just to see what she can get away with. She'll eat what you give her if she's hungry enough, try waiting her out. She says no to what you might, say fine, take it away and don't give her an alternative. I'm not saying let her starve, but just long enough for her to get good and hungry.
    Note: I'm not a parent
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

RubyDuby

fruit smoothies? peanut butter and fruit sandwiches? whole grain cheerios with banana?

sorry, i'm no help. i don't have kids...

good luck though!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

RubyDuby

good point about omni kids dia. My parents idea of healthy was a can of corn.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

helen105281

My three year old nephew (omni) eats nothing but turkey dinosuars, chips (fries) and thomas shapes (pasta shapes in tomato sauce) for dinner and a crackerbread with chocolate spread and some crisps for lunch. The only goodness my sister is able to get into him is a smoothie in the morning which she puts his multi-vitamin in. He won't try anything new. He is small but still seems healthy. Can't offer any advice just wanted to show even omnis have the same problems.

cobweb

Yep, i know why you are 'giving in' and letting her choose what she wants to eat, i had the same with my son when he was around that age . He'd been weaned onto fruit and veg, bread and potatoes, and beans, but all of a sudden he only wanted easy 'finger food', mostly of the crappy type - stuff like potato waffles. I actually wish he'd never been given a taste of that kind of processed stuff, as i am guessing he would eventually have eaten the good stuff when hungry enough. It's not nice to see your baby getting hungry and losing weight, though .

Will your daughter drink chocolate soy milk?. If you can give her that (fortified with calcium and vitamins), and decent bread, soy yoghurts, maybe breakfast cereals, aswell as the other stuff she likes, and get a vitamin down her then i'm sure she'll survive and hopefully grow out of this stage. I also used to give my son fun foods like a potato hedgehog - a baked potato with raisin eyes and carrot stick prickles, for example, which worked quite well. I also found it quite good to give him chopped fruit, e.g banana or apple, in a little bowl to eat whilst watching his favourite programme, so he would kind of distractedly eat it!.

My son is now 12 - it's been slow progress getting him to eat more healthily but he does now eat lots of fruit and does try vegetables, though he's still not keen. I try not to make it a huge deal, just give him a tiny serving of veg with his meals so he doesn't feel overwhelmed.

I know it's easy to say but try not to worry. I've spent the past few years tearing my hair out with my little one and her eating habits but it doesn't get you anywhere. She's been vegan since birth and up to the age of 2 she ate anything and everything then just after she turned 2 she started restricting herself to a few favourite foods. Fortunately it was mostly fruit and healthy stuff but still really annoying when you keep preparing food that they just turn their nose up at!
    She's now 5 and still has picky stages which can last weeks or even months but she's above average in height and in the normal weight range and always has lots of energy so I've just got to the stage of trying not to show my concern anymore - not easy but I'm working on it
    I don't think my daughter is picky because she's vegan, after all she knows no other type of diet, she's just quite stubborn and set in her ways and likes to get things her own way - in fact she's just like me
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

RebeccaDye

Getting your daughter involved in the process of making a meal might be a way of getting her interested in food. You could ask her to help you prepare, for example, a fruit salad by asking her to pass you different fruit, or ask her to cut a banana with a plastic knife etc. Or make it into some kind of game. That kind of tactile input might get her interested in eating a wide variety of foods again. Good luck!

It sounds like your daughter is going through a stage of asserting her independance. I have two daughters myself and my understanding is that children of that age will not starve themselves. If you keep being firm, she will have no choice but to eat up.
    Its likely that shes picking up on your feelings about it and you need to decide what your approach will be and stick to it. I have found that sticker charts worked well to change behaviour when my girls were younger and also helped me focus on a positive outcome.
    Also giving chopped up raw carrot, pepper, apple etc while they are watching telly or doing something else and/or before a meal when they are really hungry means that they eat them without thinking (as Cobweb already mentioned).
    I think its worth putting the effort in now because behaviour can be much harder to change when children are older.

A sticker chart sounds like a great idea Cookey. I agree that it sounds like she's picking up on the 'worried' vibes.

Quote cookey View Post
    Also giving chopped up raw carrot, pepper, apple etc while they are watching telly or doing something else and/or before a meal when they are really hungry means that they eat them without thinking (as Cobweb already mentioned).
    Haha. I was a very fussy eater, and my mum used to do that with me Usually apple or tangerine, but sometimes toast cut into strips, or crackers, or nuts. It did work, as well!

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

Quote cobweb View Post
    I also used to give my son fun foods like a potato hedgehog - a baked potato with raisin eyes and carrot stick prickles, for example, which worked quite well.
    My mum use to do this as well a si was a fussy eater..and i remember her making smily faces out of my food...might work for you too

Quote RebeccaDye View Post
    Getting your daughter involved in the process of making a meal might be a way of getting her interested in food.
    I worked in a nursery for a while and by making it a game we managed to encourage a couple of the fussier children to eat. These children were aged 2-3 and were very adament as to what they would and wouldn't eat. This one child wouldn't eat fruit or veg and he would only eat it when he didnt realise what it was but if u told him or he overheard what it was or could see it withut disguising it he would refuse which is quite amusing. It seems more psycholoigcal at that age rather than preference.

Maybe if u look online u could find a food activity? Baking cakes for example...nursery/ toddler websites like cbeebies have these sort of activities that make food fun

good luck

yum
    x

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/bigcooklittlecook/

here's a children's tv programme on bbc which encourages children to cook and has games and cooking ideas which might be of interest. It might not all be vegan but it might giv u some inspiration
    x

Just to add that you shouldn't get discouraged or feel like you're doing anything wrong. My little one has always helped with preparing food and choosing what to buy but it still didn't make her want to eat any of it! There isn't a 'one size fits all' solution, so don't feel disheartened if it takes a while for your little one to start eating how you'd like them to.
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

Thanks to everyone for all the great replies. I'll definitly try the advice giving, I just start worrying because she has actually lost some weight and she was on the small side to begin with. We won't be changing diets, I never wanted to anyway, it just seemed so coincidental that she went super picky on me about a week after going vegan. Should I try vitamins? If so, what kind? Thanks again.

When I was about 4 I refused all green foods. Then I wanted to eat ONLY green foods (I felt sorry for the color green, feeling like I'd been mean to green by not wanting green things). Not sure how my parents handled that, maybe food coloring or something.

Then later on there would be changing food tastes from about age 8-10 onward - every year I would switch between liking pickles and not liking them, I ALWAYS have hated celery if it is remotely uncooked, no amount of peanut butter will change that, and I'd alternate between loving and hating various recipes of my parents month to month or year to year. But after I got past the green thing, it was only a couple things I was picky about, and so in effect I was much less picky than my older sister.

my third child was the pickiest (still is now age 3 and 11 months). He hates veg except chips are they really veg?) He will drink carott and apple juice if he makes it himself, we try and puree some stuff and sneak it in. he does drink benecol dairy free andthose knorr vie(?). He will have marinated and then fried tofu and some veg burgers (yu could sneak in a lentil burger and see if it works). He will have brown bread with fortifie marg (yellow pure is the only one he will take) and peanut butter. oh he has just discovered the wonders of bananas... keep trying and if you're worried don't be afraid to seek out relevant expert advice.
    niall

In the months that I haven't been at the forum, a lot of things have changed (in a good way) for me. I know have 2 stepdaughters! I wouldn't say they are vegetarian, but their meat intake is extremely minimal. They are however, extremely picky eaters. One is 6 and the other is 10.

Over the past couple of months, I've been able to have a positive effect on their diet. They now eat veggie chickn nuggets, rather than real chicken nuggets. They have vanilla soy milk on their breakfast cereal and drink chocolate soy milk rather than dairy chocolate milk.

The trouble comes though when it's time to sort out what's for dinner. They love plain pasta with Earthbalance, corn on the cob or corn kernels, baby carrots and steamed broccoli. This is not much to choose from. We're always trying to incorporate some fruit into dinner as well and have found that they love strawberries, pineapple, pears and cherries.

I'll have a read through some of this thread, but if anyone has any new or different suggestions, I'd love to hear from you

Wow, Roxy, you have 2 step kids now!!!I'm sure they'll get used to vegan food and will soon have their favorite dishes established.
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

That would be nice! Unfortunately, their mother and grandmother feed them junk food all the time. For example, a weekend day with mum and grandma consists of scones with butter and whipped cream for breakfast, cake and whipped cream for lunch, A & W (fried chicken and fries) for dinner and Dairy Queen (ice cream) for dessert.

That's what I would consider child abuse, but then again, it's the Standard North American Diet for a lot of families.

We are going on a picnic this Sunday and we plan to take peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwiches, on white bread (but the healthy fortified version). Of course I would prefer a wholewheat or wholegrain bread, but they won't eat it. We will also have some trans-fat free chips (crisps) and fruit (watermelon, oranges, pear slices). Juice and water for drinks.

After our picnic, we're going for a walk through the forrest for some exercise. Dinner that night will be it's usual challenge. So far all I've got planned is corn on the cob.

How about getting the girls to make pizza with you? They might eat it if they've made it - and sometimes you need veggies to make parts of the design...

Awesome idea! It's just finding veggies that they like. I know they'd love pineapple on a pizza.

They only pizza they've ever eaten is cheese pizza What I'll do this weekend, is ask them, if we made a pizza and you had to choose 3 vegetables to go on it, what would you choose? I think I'd like to give them a choice of what to put on it, rather than force them to put something on it that they won't eat. It'll only get picked off lol.

I don't like cheese-less pizza myself, and since it's os hard to find vegan cheese pizza, I have stopped eating it altogether. But those times I have eaten the cheese-less variety I like it with olives, onions and mushrooms - no other veggies. Many people can't stand broccoli or eggplant on pizza. However, believe it or not, but guacamole is actually very nice to add - it gives that creaminess which one miss without the cheese.

Are you the one responsible for their meals, Roxy?....

Slow and stealthily, we'll get them to like healthy food.

At 6 and 10 they know adolescence is around the corner; I point out pizza-faced teens and ask "think they eat their veggies or go to McDonalds?"
    I point out healthy strong examples too like Sportacus of the Lazy Town kid's program who in real life is an aerobics champion and vegan.

Lazy Town is good for the littler ones too. They do teeth brushing and going to sleep on time...

When my girl got a bit picky I think it was a reaction against my pushing.
    She was much more likely to eat from my plate or her papa's.
    So, I did let her have only what she wanted from a very restricted list -mashed potato rice toast etc- while she saw and smelled good food at the table. Tasty junkfood was by some coincidence 'all gone' from the supermarket (or went stale in the cupboard). It was a slow slog with her first smelling the food cooking and at the table and then passing it to me or putting a bite in my mouth.
    Getting over the fear of being forced to eat something.

If that isn't enough over time to ensure good health then let doctor or grandma or some other authority figure be the heavy. An imaginary phone call that suggests shots of medicine if no veggies or fruit are eaten is mean but hey, I got her to try more! Since 3yrs old we count fruit/veg portions daily and what colors. We aim to 'Eat a rainbow everyday'

Also, she has a deal that papa has to eat one piece if she eats her portion of dread veg: papa hates celery carrots beets asparagus and not crazy about most of the rest. What a kick she gets when he makes a face eating that one piece.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote kriz View Post
    Are you the one responsible for their meals, Roxy?....
    My other half and I are both responsible when the girls are with us. However, I've sort of made it my pet project to ensure that the girls are eating balanced, healthy meals. Before John & I got together, he would feed the girls a lot of pre-packaged foods, because it seemed to be the easiest option, especially when there were time constraints.

One really good thing about me taking on this project, is that he's now become really interested in nutrition also, and has gone from being a fish and chicken eater, to a vegetarian! In fact he's almost vegan, as the only dairy he's really having is cream in his coffee.

Thanks for sharing your story Pat. Emma, who is 10, is starting to realise the value of good eating. After eating healthily, she finds that she has much more energy and is able to get all the way accross the monkey bars at the playground. One day after her grandmother had fed her fries and icecream, she tried to tackle the monkey bars and she couldn't! She explained to us how after eating junk food, she just didn't have the energy.

It sounds so great, Roxy, that you husband is open for the vegan thing too. If he wasn't it would be an uphill battle for you trying to convince him AND your step kids. Also, doing it alone with no input from other family member is no fun - it just leads to resentment , I think. So good for you.

Hi, we are currantly having a similar problem with our 4 year old. Because he's had an operation recently we have indulged him loads until he was almost only eating soya desserts!! What we are doing at the moment is taking all sweet/junk things out of the house so we arn't tempted to give him any. If he refuses his meal we just say ok and put it to one side, when he says he's hungry we give him his meal back. It sometimes happens a few times but he usually eats it in the end. If he genuinly doesn't like somthing it's usually possible to tell and we wouldn't make him eat it, but he has just got a VERY sweet tooth. and likes his food to not be too much hard work! . For him at least, the trick seems to be, to be persistant, keep relaxed and not get drawn in to reacting when he throws a wobbler! That's what we are trying at the moment anyway, let you know how we get on, lol !
    xx

Thanks Kriz! Janet, keeping the "junk" food out of the house, to avoid temptation is a great idea.

I have had some luck this past week! The girls tried quinoa and loved it. It's much more healthier for them than plain noodles or rice, AND they're actually asking for it It doesn't end here though.....there's still a long road ahead of us.

Emma asked if she could make buttermilk scones with whipped cream for breakfast tomorrow. This is a standard breakfast when she is with her mother or grandmother. We told her no, but that we could look for a different scone recipe, and replace the whipped cream with something else, like jam or syrup. Well she thought that idea sucked. We didn't give in though. Whipped cream is not something we will ever see in our fridge, and buttermilk scones will never be baked in our oven. If her mother and grandmother want to feed her that shit, there's not much we can do about it, but we won't be responsible for contributing to the child's colesterol or excessive fat intake.

RebeccaDye

Good on ya Roxy!!
    There are endless vegan scone recipes on Google, I hope it goes well!

My kids seemed to get gradually fussy. I found a way that stopped it very quickly - I started making desserts regularly, and anyone who hadn't eaten a reasonable amount of dinner (depending on how much was on their plate, anything from a half to 3/4's was ok) they didn't get dessert.

I made sure it was desserts that they loved - from soya pudding, ice cream, chocolate fondue with fruit etc. Although I never told them if there was dessert or not for any given meal.

It probably won't work for everyone, but it sure helped us, and very very quickly! You have to stick to your guns though, and if someone hardly eats any of their main meal, withold dessert until they do.

Thanks Rebecca!

We've done the withhold desert thing too, Trow. Our problem isn't so much getting them to eat what's on their plate, it's finding things for them to eat. As for getting them to eat most of their meal, we find that a very minimal afternoon snack, and then waiting until 6:30pm or so for dinner, makes them ravenous, and then they eat everything just because they're so hungry!

Ah! The old starve 'um trick. It works well. It usually happens in our house when we forget that somebody needs to cook tea and that we don't have a microwave!

LOL janet! Ah I was just saying there actually before i came on here that it will be interesting to see what happens. I'm an auntie! 8 weeks!
    Basically my sister in law is a strict veggie and my brother really really isnt! That said, he's alot healthier! He eats salad and veggies and stuff now, just adds real meat to everything lol! but yeah wondering what they're gonna do with my niece...
    To eat meat or not to eat meat? That is the question!

*live*&*let*live

Quote RebeccaDye View Post
    Getting your daughter involved in the process of making a meal might be a way of getting her interested in food. You could ask her to help you prepare, for example, a fruit salad by asking her to pass you different fruit, or ask her to cut a banana with a plastic knife etc. Or make it into some kind of game. That kind of tactile input might get her interested in eating a wide variety of foods again. Good luck!
    What a great idea for someone so young! Do you have little brothers and sisters by any chance or one of your own? :smile: I second this idea, children love to play and get involved with cooking.

A trick I've learned is to treat the veges the way you would fries or something they love - as a treat! A couple of years ago I got my (then) three year old daughter to love brussels sprouts by hyping them up as a big treat that she could only have occasionally. She fell for it hook line and sinker and eats them without protest to this day.

Now she is six I can get her to eat most veges by telling her that she will grow tall and be healthy and clever if she eats healthily, but that reasoning didn't work when she was three, so I had to be more sneaky!

I also don't tend to keep things like fries and biscuits in the house much as I think they spoil kids tastebuds for healthier food. Also, giving tomato sauce to have with the veges is a good way of getting kids to eat them as well.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Just remember, all kids are picky eaters....

...Note: I'm not a parent
    Nope, NOT all kids are picky eaters at all.
    But the best thing to do is to keep offering and most importantly MODELING healthy eating. They will eventually turn their eating around again.
    I have 1 picky eater out of 4 children. My patience with him pays off with most foods. I never bargain, trick, or bribe him to eat healthy foods. But I don't act as a short-order chef, cooking only what he wants either. If he doesn't like what I offer, he can wait until the next meal. I always offer at least some healthy options that I know he likes. If he's hungry he can eat it.
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.