Thread: Does anybody know what i should give my baby after formula?

Default Does anybody know what i should give my baby after formula?

Hello. When my baby is 1 year old I am taking him off formula and was wondering what I should give him from there on out. I do not want to give him soy because of the estragens ect, and I was wondering if anyone else has a similar situation?? Is there anything "fatty" like rice milk or almond milk I can give him? Babies that do consume dairy are given whole milk at 1 year which is obviously not an option for vegan babies lol. If anyone has suggestions it would be appriciated! Thanks!!

Default Re: Does anybody know what i should give my baby after formula?

Couldn't you keep giving him formula? I remember reading somewhere (sorry, I know it's rubbish when there are no sources) that that was a good thing to do. I found this though, which suggests formula/fortified soya milk/breastmilk for toddlers.

http://www.vrg.org/nutshell/kids.htm

babies drink formula up to a year?! wow i thought that they only drank it for like 9 months or something. shows what i know.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Yes I can keep giving him formula the only problem is im not giving him soy formula... its regular so its partially made with cows milk. Ive heard there is no such thing as a a 100% vegan formula and too much soy is not good for anyone lol. So thats why I would like to get him off asap.

Quote Sassy_Cassie View Post
    Yes I can keep giving him formula the only problem is im not giving him soy formula... its regular so its partially made with cows milk. Ive heard there is no such thing as a a 100% vegan formula and too much soy is not good for anyone lol. So thats why I would like to get him off asap.
    Really, they put cow milk in baby formula? I was under the impression children under the age of 1 shouldn't be given any dairy. I was always under the impression most formula wasn't vegan because of other ingredients but not because of dairy. I've heard there is vegan formula available in at least some countries but it might be hard to come by. Have you spoken to your pediatrician about what to give him?

Ya, unfortunately it does say that it has cow milk in it. My pediatritian does not reccomend a vagan diet and to be honest they dont really know what they are talking about in a sense. she tries to tell me that my baby "needs" meat bec of the vitamin B12. I have come to the realization that they are not the best advice givers lol I prefer to go to my natural food store where I personally know they have similar beliefs. I think they say rice milk is a good one. Thanks for everyones help!

Quote Sassy_Cassie View Post
    Ya, unfortunately it does say that it has cow milk in it. My pediatritian does not reccomend a vagan diet and to be honest they dont really know what they are talking about in a sense. she tries to tell me that my baby "needs" meat bec of the vitamin B12. I have come to the realization that they are not the best advice givers lol I prefer to go to my natural food store where I personally know they have similar beliefs. I think they say rice milk is a good one. Thanks for everyones help!
    Well, it is true that unfortunately many physicicians don't know much about nutrition and may try to warn you against a vegan diet. Have you considered consulting a nutritionist? From what I've heard many of them are friendly towards vegan diets and they could probably give you good advice on what nutrients your baby needs. I don't know much about nutrition for infants, but it seems to me like rice milk might not have enough fat in it (whereas soymilk would probably have more). Also it has less protein than soymilk, but I guess it would all depend on what else your baby is eating.

Actually, the article Cherry linked to recommends fortified soymilk and says it does not recommend rice milk: "Vegan infants should be weaned to a fortified soy milk containing calcium, vitamin B-12, and vitamin D. Low-fat or non-fat soy milks should not be used before age 2. Rice milks are not recommended as a primary beverage for infants and toddlers as they are quite low in protein and energy."
    Again, I'm guessing a nutritionist could say more.

thanks mariana. Ya I will have to look into that. Yes I am very fortunate in having a solid background in nutrition and also in the process of getting my personal training license. Its very upsetting to me that doctors know so little about nutrition and pharmacuticals are there answer to everything lol. but yes I will have to look into the soymilk, I just assumed rice milk would be okay. thanks for the help!

Have you had a look at this site:

http://www.vegansociety.com/people/l...ren/babies.php

http://www.vegansociety.com/people/l.../nutrients.php

And this

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/pregnancy.htm
    (also covers infancy)

Both sites have other relevant pages I think.

The VRG might be able to help you find a vegan-friendly nutritionist as well.

I gave my babies Vegan Soya formula and then used soya milk when they stopped at about one year. I think that as long as the child is getting enough fat, nutrients and water from food and drink sources, it doesn't matter if these come in some sort of milk form or as mashed up avocado.
    Mine are 9 and 11 years old now and healthy so I can't have done too much damage!

Are you aware of Michael Klapper's book on this subject?

You might also want to look at this page on Veg Family.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

He really should have a dietary form of cholesterol until around age 2-3, which for vegans means breastmilk.

As for other "drinks" to offer, we personally offer our kids combos of rice/hemp/almond/coconut milks. Hemp and almond are higher in protein, and coconut has lots of good fats.
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

I am amazed by the amount of vegan mothers -- women who care about health and whole and unprocessed foods -- who decide not to breastfeed. The culture we live in makes the decision so much easier by promoting the fantasy of the prevalence of a very rare reality, "not enough milk." You made the decision to do things that take effort, time and planning when you chose a vegan lifestyle. Please explain why you then chose to exploit cows to suckle your child?
    I don't mean to be harsh, but I'm really astounded how and why someone who cares about their health and wellbeing, can compromise the health and wellbeing of their own precious child and that of innocent animals. Granted, there may be some terrible and rare condition which rendered you unable to breastfeed, but time and time again I find that most want out of the difficult demands and constant feeds that their breastfed infant needs. Bottle fed babies sleep through the night, slowly digesting the unsuitable makeup of their formula and the parents can sleep, hold down jobs and feel normal. But didn't you want better for your child, didn't you truly want to offer immunity, essential fats, comfort, succour to the tiny life that you'd bothered to nurture in the womb?
    We in the west are so removed from our bodies and their natural functions, it's no wonder so many are using the third world as baby incubators and hiring impoverished women to be our wet nurses. A vegan lifestyle really should extend to all facets of one's life. Soy formula doesn't let anyone off the hook.

I think this discussion has been had before on this board, but the issue of breast or bottle can sometimes be far more complex than you've described. Not everyone has a supportive environment which allows them to breast feed. I wholeheatedly believe in breastfeeding as best for babies and was breastfed myself until I was 2, but for many complex reasons couldn't persue it with my own babies.
    I believe soya formula to be preferable to a cows milk formula, but wouldn't suggest that it was a better choice than breast milk.
    Without doubt, I'm sure all parents here have their babies best interests at heart.

Apologies for revisiting an area that has been covered before. In my defence, I am a new member and haven't seen all relevant posts on the subject {I'll play catch-up very soon}. But I do want to raise the point that as vegans we are slightly different from the general population: we are concerned about our health and food sources, their impact on our fellow creatures and environment, ethical living, etc. Surely, breastfeeding should be important to us? As ever, it's a personal choice but I keep being astounded by how many new mothers can't or won't give nature a chance. The societies we live in enable us to justify and conceal the endless and countless suffering of animals. We have bothered to be aware of this horror and made the decision to avoid being party to it and yet I know many vegan/vegetarian friends who found the concept of feeding their own children milk from their breasts to be barbaric and bovine! I breastfed my son for almost three years and throughout was, in the main, ridiculed by the medical industry, friends and family. It takes a lot of strength to overcome the prejudices of our society, the sore nipples and constant feeds, etc, only to find that the alternative mindset embraced by vegans still retains the ingrained cultural revulsion. Breastfeeding is hard work and well-nigh impossible for the working woman, but the beauty, health and bond you form with your child is well worth it. Our society makes the other option easier and more acceptable. If we are so hellbent on convenience, why not just give up the struggle all together and head out for fast food?
    Bottle versus breast is always complex -- I am very aware of that. I didn't undertake breastfeeding because it was easy and hassle-free. I had to fight and struggle all the way with it, but I chose to do the best possible for my son. And I think I have a right to be proud of that effort, not to have it denigrated or assumed that I didn't struggle under the pressure and had an easy go of it. To me, it is an intrinsic part of my struggle to live as ethically as possible. Nor am I coming down on those who do have just cause to switch to formula. I just feel we never stress enough how encouraged it is to turn away from breastfeeding as even a consideration.
    My son, almost a year on, still rubs my breast when he feels upset -- that lingering memory of comfort is a beautiful thing.
    "Out of the ash
    I rise with my red hair
    And I eat men like air."

cobweb

I must admit i find it shocking when mums don't breastfeedfeed, it's quite rare to be physically unable to.