Thread: Meal ideas for a 6 month old

Default Meal ideas for a 6 month old

Hello my fellow vegans
    My wife and I are bringing up our son Oliver vegan. He is not breast fed anymore and doesnt enjoy formula either. He has a real hunger for "adult" food and so we have just wizzed up whatever weve had for the last few days.
    Were aware of the nutrients he will need to grow but are unable to constantly devise new meal ideas to cover his iron, protein etc......

Could any of you help us out? Obtaining ingredients is no problem and as for cooking, well I love it. I guess I've gone a bit brain dead and just need a helping hand.

Default Re: Meal ideas for a 6 month old

A quick and easy boost is a mashed banana and avocado. Just mash 'em together! My babies loved this. I also bought the book "Raising your vegan infant with confidence" I just leant it to a friend so I can't remember the authors, but that was good.

Another good idea is quinoa porridge. Cook Quinoa with a little soy milk and that makes a healthy breakfast. Also risotto with something soft in it like pumpkin or squash. That's nice.

*is a bit hopeless*
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those that understand binary and those that don't.

sugarmouse

I found this

http://www.vegansociety.com/food/recipes/toddlers.php
    I typed 'vegan baby recipes' into google and then thought oops that sounds bit weird!Recipes to make a vegan baby....

Thanks to both of you. Any help is greatfully recieved.

Mine liked mash and mashed parsnips.

cook potato and pumpkin together and purée..
    Piggy

He really needs cholesterol in his diet until age 2-3 when the body can make enough of its own. Usually this is in the form of breastmilk. If he is not getting breastmilk or formula and you want him to be vegan, then I would look in to donor milk, supplemented with a combo of rice/hemp/coconut milks.

As for solid food, at 6 months or so we usually start with a little avocado or banana, then add sweet potato, oatmeal, rice, green beans, peas, or any steamed and/or diced fruits & veggies. Then around 8-9 months some lentils and beans, soups, homemade veggie burgers, rice/hemp milk.

One of the boys' fave combos was a reduced soup of: olive oil, onion, red lentil, carrot, barley (and water of course).
    mama to Ryan (7), AJ (6), Nate (3), Maia (1), all born at home.

The bulk of an infant's diet should be breastmilk or formula up to 1 year of age. At 6 months he still needs one or the other, so you need to make sure he gets it in addition to solids. As far as that goes, you have gotten some good suggestions so far.

~Lux

My daughter was EBF until 12 months. Even if you decide/decided to starts solids now he should still be getting breastmilk or at least formula. Check out http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/. Making and pureeing your own baby food is easy and a great idea.

*edit* just realizing this is a really old post, lol. :P

Quote Bunny View Post
    AAnother good idea is quinoa porridge. Cook Quinoa with a little soy milk and that makes a healthy breakfast.
    you can buy quinoa flakes in some health shops which make more of a soft oat-y porridge than the quinoa grains!

can baba's eat tofu? how about whizzing a teaspoon or tablespoon of silken tofu into other purees you are making?

pureed apples sweeten most savoury purees to make them more palatable.

pureed cauliflower, pureed pears, melons etc. high water content fruits will keep him hydrated as well as fed.

my girl's 15 now - i'm afraid i just can't remember what i fed her on!!! (although she was brought up veggie, as i was veggie at the time)