Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

Default If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

What do you do when you accidentally buy non-vegan food? (Sometimes I can't believe how careless I am... I bought some organic soy yoghurt today, and then later I looked at the cover and noticed it had a cow on it and said, "No Farm, No Food." THEN I decided to look more closely at the ingredients. "Cultured pasteurized organic soymilk," it said, was pasteurized with milk. "Contains soy and milk." AAAAHHH!!!!!! I don't even know what that meeeeans, pasteurized with milk.)

So I do buy non-vegan food out of carelessness from time to time. And I usually just eat it because I'm like.... I paid for that. But I feel bad about it. I don't feel vegan while eating it.

What are you solutions? I hate to waste money... I do consider veganism to be as much about philosophy as about practice, yet there's still the fact that socially it becomes defined by what you actually eat.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Default Re: When you accidentally buy non-vegan food

Ouch I hate it when that happens. I slipped up with a brush once (had real animal hair). I returned it, but I doubt you could do that with the yogurt. Can you give it to anyone that would eat it?

Try not to feel bad. Mistakes happen. My mom always tells me, "They're errors, not mistakes. They're mistakes only when you don't learn from them."

I've made several mistakes like that. Some things just seem safe to assume is vegan but isn't. I've gotten into the habit of checking everything. Yesterday I almost but got hummus that had milk in it and looked before check out. When I do make the mistake I usually give it away. I don't think I'd be able to intentionally eat something non-vegan though I had unintentionally.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Last week I was in a hurry and bought some crisps thinking they were black pepper and sea salt but turned out they were sour cream and chives. Packaging virtually identical and yours truly wasn't paying the usual care and attention.

I gave them to my colleague to eat.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

This isn't food related but a couple of weeks ago I was at the checkout at a heath food store and picked up a lib balm that I assumed was vegan, since most things in that shop are (They're the only place I've ever seen J/A/S/O/N cosmetics on sale!) but it turns out it has beeswax in it. I'm still using it just now, since by the time I realised I'd already used it a couple of times and wouldn't pass something like that that I'd used on to someone else. It's not very good stuff though, I think I'll go get another one soon out of sheer disgust at the taste.

^ Oooh, it's a sneaky one that beeswax! Worst culprits are moisturisers and lip balms.
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

I know isn't it? I had to give my mom and sister most of my make-up cause of that beeswax. Oh jeez, and not to mention the gift of Burt's Bees products for my birthday...that I kinda sorta re-gifted today...hehe...sshhh....

I do this all the time in the Co-op. Their sour creme & chive dip is in almost identical packaging to their humous. I usually notice after I have thrown away the receipt or while opening the tub :/ Last time I just put it in the compost..

I recently found a brand of snack bars and bought the only flavour avail. and none of the ingredients are animal based. I checked their website and I am sure it said they're a vegan company. I found 2 more flavours last week and bought them without bothering to read the ingredients but when I got home I checked and they both contain skim milk powder. I will be giving them to an omni friend of mine.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I always return it to the store and tell them why I am returning it. Once I bought the wrong cereal. It had honey in it, so I brought it back for the other kind. The other thing was small size OJ that when I got home saw they added D3 to it. When I brought that back the woman at the service desk asked some questions and I looked at it as a way to inform others. She was surprised that they would even add any Vit D to orange juice.

^ And what is up with the milk in hummus? I've never seen that. Gross.

I recently opened a new jar of Green & Black's hot chocolate, then, (luckily, before having any - unluckily, after pulling the foil lid off) thought I had better check the ingredients seeing as they've now started putting milk in their chocolate bars, and, sure enough, there is now milk in the hot chocolate, too. Thing is, I don't really know of anyone I could give it to.. I'm definitely not going to use it myself though. I'm thinking of maybe giving it to my mum to take to work for people to have during their tea break, or maybe leave it in a campsite washing-up room with a little note saying 'please take this!' - I'd hate to see it go to waste

Because the dairy and egg industry is so over-subsidised (cruelly, we all have to pay to give even the big bad boys like Nestlé subsidies!) and the trend in pharming is towards higher and higher yields, many 'by-products' of their processes are criminally cheap.

Manufacturers thus use them as fillers or in unnecessary new twists on recipes (look how difficult it is to buy simple things like soup in mainstream brands without dairy in it) or even as completely 'new foods'.

Feck 'em. Buy local, simple, unadvertised foods.

Quote herbivorous bex View Post
    I recently opened a new jar of Green & Black's hot chocolate, then, (luckily, before having any - unluckily, after pulling the foil lid off) thought I had better check the ingredients seeing as they've now started putting milk in their chocolate bars, and, sure enough, there is now milk in the hot chocolate, too.
    without wishing to start the debate again, they don't actually intentionally put the milk in. they just admit it's almost inevitable cross-contamination, and have chosen to label it strangely.

Quote DavidT View Post
    fine in principle but not always possible or practical. i often shop in my local wholefood shop which stocks mostly independent 'ethical' products, but there's often still something unexpected sneaked into products you'd think should be 'safe' e.g. non-vegan soya cheese; fromage frais in guacamole - yes i realise one can make it easily oneself, but that's just an example; honey and beeswax are often used in independent products.

Well... I'm glad it's not just me then. Probably a good idea to return the food item if reasonable. At least I know I can buy bananas without them having milk in them.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

Quote DavidT
    Quote Gorilla
    fine in principle but not always possible or practical.
    Oh, go on then, if you insist.
    Quote DavidT
    Feck 'em. Where possible or practical, buy local, simple, unadvertised foods.

Quote Sarabi View Post
    At least I know I can buy bananas without them having milk in them.
    I know right?

It's insane what you find when you read ingredients. I was looking at some teas and one had milk solids or something like that in it. So frustrating.

Quote baby_vicuņa View Post
    I know right?

It's insane what you find when you read ingredients. I was looking at some teas and one had milk solids or something like that in it. So frustrating.
    It's as if the dairy industry realizes they're going to lose money to milk alternatives, so they decide to cash in on them. Frustrating indeed. It's always about the money.

Quote Sarabi View Post
    It's always about the money.
    Sad, but true.

When I get a non-vegan item by mistake (like when I'm in a hurry, and get a yogurt or bread that looks similar to one that is vegan that I normally purchase), I go back to the store and return it.

I've done it a few times. Mostly things like margerines, yogurts, and more processed foods. It's never been a problem. I just state, "I mean to purchase X product, and I got this one by mistake. I can't consume the product I purchased. Please let me return or exchange it."
    context is everything

The most frustrating thing for me is trying to find a loaf of bread without honey (and even milk!) in it. It's so annoying. You don't need to put either of those items in bread. If I do accidentally buy something with a hidden animal ingredient, my non-vegan husband will eat it. Or I'll give it to a friend or family member. I just can't bring myself to knowingly consume animal products anymore.

^ I have that problem with honey in bread. It's so annoying. I found one brand of sprouted wheat that I really like that has no honey in it. I basically stick to that now, but I still check the ingredients when I buy it.

puca

Quote Trow View Post
    wtf, it used to be vegan

^ Wait so the milk in that is just cross-contamination? I'm confused...

^ I have that problem with honey in bread. It's so annoying. I found one brand of sprouted wheat that I really like that has no honey in it. I basically stick to that now, but I still check the ingredients when I buy it.
    and I love when they say it's an ingredient that's less then .2%. Then why put it in!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Zero

Re: G&B

You guys actually need to read this: http://www.greenandblacks.com/uk/inf...or-vegans.html

It is vegan still and we discussed all of this here: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...t=19651&page=4

... and I summarized it here

Most of the bread here is vegan, well except that nasty milk roll stuff! Euw! What were they thinking?
    Anyway when I buy something vegetarian by mistake I give it to my girlfriend. She doesn't care as long as it hasn't got meat in it. If I buy something with meat in it I give it to my housemate and explain why I won't eat it. Sometimes I give it to my mum's family who are all vegan/vegetarian except the little boy they foster who they insist on feeding meat to. (Don't get me started on that one!!!)

At the end of the day we all make mistakes. Noone is perfect!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    and I love when they say it's an ingredient that's less then .2%. Then why put it in!
    I know! Ugh.

Default Re: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

Oh and thanks for the links Zero. I'm not confused anymore

asleep ona sunbeam

You think that's whack, a bread with mono and dyglcerides in it!
    WHY?
    they're the new trans fatty acid stuff by the way, that are now in every single food, to stop oils from separating. There's not a lot of research done either way to say they're neutral or bad for our health (at least that I've seen).
    I just don't get why they were in bread?
    I mean of all the things, did they think half the loaf would separate from the other half, because bread is of course, made up entirely of oil.

Hovis are great as they put on their breads "suitable for vegetarians and vegans". However, I'm not sure if they're owned by a big bad company or anything.

Quote Sarabi View Post
    At least I know I can buy bananas without them having milk in them.
    But then I have to worry about if a poor child laborer picked them in Columbia!

The Food Industry gets me in a bind one way or another.

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote EmilySequoy View Post

or if any chemicals were used and if so if they were derived from animals etc.
    :P

Quote EmilySequoy View Post

Ugh don't remind me. It's a complete nightmare if you let yourself think about it.

I normally return the item but sometimes I'm too soft-spoken and shy for me to make a solid return case for food. Food IS tricky to return, sometimes they won't let you. My mom isn't afraid to return things and routinely goes to the customer service desk, even if the cash registered overcharged her a few cents! She will often return the item for me.

Sometimes if it's an item I KNOW my family will eat, I'll just keep it in the cupboards. This usually happens with chips or cookies that were once vegan but not anymore--and I didn't check the labels at the store.

I bought premade miso soup packets once that had bonito flakes. I didn't know bonito was fish derived until I got home. I left it in the cupboards for ages, no one ate it, so I simply threw it out.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

puca

I'm too squeamish to eat them if I buy something by accident. In the summer, I ate a pastry, as I figured it was skipped (freegan), so it was outside the cruelty.

It made me feel icky though. I don't think I am programmed to eat animal products in any way. I would probably just give them to a mate, like I do when I get chocolates in work.

I usually just give the item to someone that would use/eat it.

Zero

If I still have the receipt and it's still in all the original packaging I return it otherwise I also give it to someone who would use it, I can't stand throwing food out.

I return it.
    But, if it's from a vending machine or something (which is extremely aggravating), I try and pawn it off on someone else.
    Everyone always thinks something has to be wrong with it.

^ I know! The second you say that it's free or something people are like, "Yeah but what's wrong with it..."

re: dairy in hummus (ick): both times i have been in france i have tried to buy hummus in grocery stores. all of their hummus contained some sort of CHEESE! yes, CHEESE! come ON people. jeez. cant we at least leave the HUMMUS dairy-free? so frustrating!

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote kaybee View Post
    re: dairy in hummus (ick): both times i have been in france i have tried to buy hummus in grocery stores. all of their hummus contained some sort of CHEESE! yes, CHEESE! come ON people. jeez. cant we at least leave the HUMMUS dairy-free? so frustrating!
    In Frances defence, what is France known for apart from wine and having a lot of people who speak ze language off lurve...

^ True.

Hummus with cheese just sounds awful. I bought some canned black-eye peas a while back and didn't realize until I opened a can that it had bacon in it. Gross. Just absolutely vile. Luckily I had some dried peas that I quick soaked and ate later that evening. I've also accidentally overlooked vitamin D and milk in some cereals, and just let my roommates or bandmates eat it. I would really just feel gross if I ate stuff that I knew wasn't vegan.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Then you get some smartarse who says, "It's only .2%, what're you worried about?"

I agree, DiaShel; what possible effect can .2% have on the recipe? (Unless it's supa-giga-galactic-hot chilli powder!)

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote DavidT View Post
    Then you get some smartarse who says, "It's only .2%, what're you worried about?"

I agree, DiaShel; what possible effect can .2% have on the recipe? (Unless it's supa-giga-galactic-hot chilli powder!)
    On the contrary, all the difference, use vegan cult members need to be kept from eating certain foods

Quote DavidT View Post
    I hate that. UGH.

Just last month i went to a local health food store and i bought chicken nuggets. On the cover it says no casein, no milk, no eggs and no nuts but when i looked at the ingredients it has skinless chicken breast with rib meat. It's been in the refrigerator for 2 months and i think i should let my brothers eat it instead.
    Carrot!

Zero

^Yeah, classic case of looking for the usual ingredients like milk, eggs etc and missing something like that, I've done it. I bought some noodles once that I later realised had "chicken powder" in them, I just went back to the store and returned them.

If you can't return items then yeah give them to someone else to eat, no point wasting it really.

This happened to my the first couple months I went vegan, buying something I knew was vegan but then the ingredients had changed. My boyfriend is the worst offender of not checking labels. He has bought all sorts of food with either animal bits in it to animal fats to milk. It's funny because when we go shopping together I always read the label, even if its something I buy every week and he's always like "it's vegan!!!" and gets annoyed while I read it. But I just like to be careful and he should be too! One time he ate prawn crackers thinking they weren't made out of prawn!!!

I've started getting firm now, such as one time he ate a vegetable pastie and it actually had chicken in it. I got really angry telling him that he's not vegetarian if he eats meat, and that most pastry has animal fat or something in it!! He just doesn't want it to go to waste, but I really think is he's just so hungry at the time that he's just like "f*** it". Although I think he's getting better now, and learned his lesson after that pastie which made his tummy hurt for two days.

Recently I bought a pair of socks off of ebay which stated they were cotton/polyester blend, but when they arrived they were actually 80% lambswool!! Nobody I know wants them so I'm just keeping them as I need them also. I don't want to return them as I will have to pay for the return shipping, and that's just a waste in my opinion, also they are from Hong Kong, and when I previously asked the seller a question about them, they didn't know English very well and got quite confused. So I don't want to cause more confusion by asking for a refund. I will be telling them of their description mistake though.

I usually just give it to a friend. They're always more than happy to get free food.