Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

Default Re: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

I would give it to my boyfriend. He'll eat anything.

The same thing happened to me today, but I just gave it to my other half and he said he would eat it

patientia

I bought some aloe vera orange drink in Slovenia yesterday. I have never seen this drink before, but I like other aloe vera drinks. I drank half a bottle and then read the label. It contained honey. I felt sick and gave the rest to my friend. I should have read the label!

Quote patientia View Post
    I bought some aloe vera orange drink in Slovenia yesterday. I have never seen this drink before, but I like other aloe vera drinks. I drank half a bottle and then read the label. It contained honey. I felt sick and gave the rest to my friend. I should have read the label!
    Tricksy!!!! I found these cute little French drinks in the supermarket and was just at the checkout before I had a gander at them and they had honey in them! I was so confused because it was like strawberry flavoured fizzy water, wouldn't honey be kinda pointless!? I once was at a restaurant and there was honey in the sweet chilli sauce (more pointless honey!!) But I did have curly fries so not having sauce was made all okay.

patientia

Isn't honey too expensive, compared to sugar, to be put into everything?

This has happened twice to me recently. We bought lemon lime and bitters that turned out to have cochineal in it (it was listed as a number), and we bought the wrong brand of rice crackers by mistake (sardine extract as a number). They're just sitting in the fridge and cupboard - my SO will get aroud to tem eventually!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Yes, honey can be very sneaky in drinks and used as a sweetener, it can be hidden very well in those ingredients

Zero

Quote buttons View Post
    We bought lemon lime and bitters that turned out to have cochineal in it (it was listed as a number)
    E120 - definitely one to keep an eye out for with drinks.

RubyDuby

I bought that exact same stuff and drank half of it too! How funny.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:37 AM.

Me and my boyfriend have had the exact same thing and even called it fish bread ourselves! We now always tell people when they are buying fish bread! Seems to turn everybody off of it!

patientia

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I bought that exact same stuff and drank half of it too! How funny.
    I'm so sorry

-
    Last edited by MCMLXXXVI; Jul 18th, 2013 at 03:37 AM.

RubyDuby

would any hard candy do?

That's a hard one! Whenever I get a sore throat/cold, I always make crazy tea concoctions. I usually think ginger and lemon works for me, but maybe put star anise in it too. If you just type a search into google you'll probably find heaps of suggestions on teas great for sore throats. I'm pretty sure someone told me that if you drink a lot of hot drinks it keeps bad bacteria away (or something along those lines ). Also with a sore throat, hot teas can be hard to drink, but just try and think of it as a medecine and not a beverage. I hope that might help, get better!

EDIT: I just found this website!
    http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_soret.htm

I had the dilemma yesturday that my husband had bought food on the way home from work and carefully chosen some meat-free burgers for me, but forgot to check the ingredients, and it was only once he'd got home I checked and they had egg powder in them : ( I couldn't eat them but felt really bad as he was so pleased he'd specially chosen them.
    Also recently my mum sent me a beautiful skirt which turned out to be made of silk, I didn't know what to say so made the mistake of just saying it was lovely whilst not intending to wear it-she then sent me another one in a different colour! She lives in another country and we don't have a lot of contact so any gifts have sentimental value and I don't think I could give them away, but I can't face wearing them either, so they just make me feel bad everytime I see them in the wardrobe!

Veggie Vixen!

If it's an accident because of desperation ("Holy crap, I need to eat NOW"), I might just suck it up and eat it, but note it for next time that it's not safe.

Usually if I buy something non-vegan accidentally, I pass it on to a family member or friend at work. I might eat it if I've already opened the package, but I will note next time that it's not safe to eat.

I'm trying to move towards 'whole-foods' now, to do away with those pesty additives and non-vegan stuff. I'm also trying to clear out my bath and beauty products to make way for new vegan-friendly stuff.

Kimberlily1983

If I bought something non-vegan, I would try to return it. If they didn't accept it, I guess I would give it away, or my partner might eat it (he's also vegan, but he would eat something if it was going to go to waste anyway).

I check all labels as well, on everything. I was eyeing these dill sunflower seeds awhile ago, and was scanning the ingredients list: sure enough, modified milk ingredients! Isn't that crazy?

I relax my standards a LITTLE when I'm at restaurants or potlucks, etc. For instance, at a potluck/BBQ recently, the hostess had made a strawberry spinach salad with me in mind, which I found out had Worcestershire sauce in the dressing. I didn't say anything and ate it anyway, and of course at that miniscule amount it wasn't detectable by taste. I also later found out that the rhubarb punch someone brought in had gelatin in it - it never occurred to me that there would be gelatin in punch!

I don't worry about stuff like that too much. I did more good at that potluck than bad: I got people to try tofu and soy bacon in mini sandwiches I made, which they liked, and soy cheesecake made with Tofutti (which was a bit hit; shared the recipe and had a couple of people telling me they were making it this weekend, in fact!).

Default Re: When you accidentally buy non-vegan food

[QUOTE

Hovis are great as they put on their breads "suitable for vegetarians and vegans". However, I'm not sure if they're owned by a big bad company or anything. [/QUOTE] vegan ben says Sainsburys and co op also label bread vegan
    Last edited by vegan ben; Aug 1st, 2010 at 01:45 AM. Reason: my quote not rightly done

I am shocked by part time vegans.If i found out something non vegan i wouldnt eat it.If i ate it knowing it not vegan then that would mean im not a vegan.For gods sake your either vegan or your not.If i brought something non vegan by mistake and it never happens because im extremely carefull i would give it away or bin it or feed foxes etc.If in a restaurant i wouldnt eat something non vegan just to save wasteing it.
    Last edited by vegan ben; Aug 1st, 2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: spelling

If I notice it the same day and the package is still unopened, I will take it back to the grocery store. Usually I will say, "Oh, I picked up the wrong flavour!" and they really don't give a sh*t. If I'm too lazy to go back or if it's been a few days or if I opened it, I just give it away.

Things get a little hairier if I'm at a restaurant and if I'm with critical non-veg friends. :/
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I usually give it to my fiance to eat. He doesn't mind, though he does seem to feel bad that I was trying and failed at something.

Edit: I wouldn't consume said product, though. Just the thought seems rather gross to me now.
    Last edited by RainInStarlight; Aug 4th, 2010 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Forgot the last sentence.
    Ninja hug! You never saw it coming!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    If I notice it the same day and the package is still unopened, I will take it back to the grocery store. Usually I will say, "Oh, I picked up the wrong flavour!" and they really don't give a sh*t. If I'm too lazy to go back or if it's been a few days or if I opened it, I just give it away.
    I've actually picked up a sorbet, found that it had milk in it after the fact (while I was in the car)...brought it back in the store, and said, "can I exchange this? I thought it didn't have any milk in it!" They thought that I was weird, but they didn't have any problem with me exchanging it for some nice soda.

leedsveg

Quote vegan ben View Post
    For gods sake your either vegan or your not.
    On VF, we've all signed in confirming that we're vegan. The problem is that we all may have differing interpretations of what exactly makes us vegan. If we look at the implications of buying a tin of chicken meat:

I could buy it for myself and eat it.
    I could buy it for my elderly mum to eat (she's infirm so can't get out to buy it herself).
    I could buy it for my cat to eat.

Although we'd all probably agree on the first being a non-vegan action, I can imagine that there could be varying views on the other two.

lv

Quote RainInStarlight View Post
    I've actually picked up a sorbet, found that it had milk in it after the fact (while I was in the car)...brought it back in the store, and said, "can I exchange this? I thought it didn't have any milk in it!" They thought that I was weird, but they didn't have any problem with me exchanging it for some nice soda.
    Milk in sorbet? They're the weird ones, not you!

This doesn't happen often. I'd return it, unless the distance was overwhelming. Which it typically isn't.

Yeah...I think it had whey in it or something. I was like, "wtf?" lol

There is often egg in posh sorbet too.

I accidentally drank non-vegan cider yesterday (it had gelitine in =X) but I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over it. It didn't say anything anywhere about being veggie or not so I risked it. I just won't have it next time, simple. I don't see the point in freaking out over it, it's a mistake. It happens. I don't want to be one of THOSE vegans that drive people nuts by being uptight. We live in a very non-vegan world, you have to pick your battles.

RubyDuby

Who would expect gelatin to be in cider??? craziness...

Quote Mollfie View Post
    There is often egg in posh sorbet too.
    Yes, I believe egg white is a traditional sorbet ingredient, although a lot of commercial sorbet uses gum etc instead, and some are made without either I think.

I would have thought that if you put milk in it it wouldn't be a sorbet, though.

I thought milk in sorbet made it sherbet.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Hmm, I'm not too familiar with sherbert Tigerlily as the term isn't used much here I don't think (not in connection with frozen desserts anyway). I have looked at some websites that seem to agree that the inclusion of milk would make a sorbet into a sherbert, but then some also think that the inclusion of eggs would result in a sherbert. This attempts to untangle the differences in national terminology http://ezinearticles.com/?Whats-the-...et?&id=4428906 I'm confused now!

The good thing is that a lot of commercial products called "sorbet" here seem to be vegan - think people stopped using egg whites because of the salmonella risk.

Kimberlily1983

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    No kidding! That's like the punch I didn't bother to ask about at a potluck awhile back. I assumed it would be vegan. Had gelatin in it, I later found out.

Quote Kimberlily1983 View Post
    No kidding! That's like the punch I didn't bother to ask about at a potluck awhile back. I assumed it would be vegan. Had gelatin in it, I later found out.
    Exactly! Very annoying as it was very yummy. My boyfriend's really dissapointed as he's been veggie for a while and doing really well, but he's happier now he's realised we can make it ourselves! It was just cider with fruit in it, so it tasted like cider and ribena lol. Easy to ask for ourselves when we go out!

I bought a frozen apple crumble the other day ( i know it's ridiculously easy to make one but i was being lazy) got it home & my fella realised it had milk in it- after some umm-ing & ahh-ing i ate it, i felt kinda guilty, but we're too poor at the mo to just leave it to waste in the freezer, i suppose i could've given it to someone else but i probably would've forgotten about it. I knew that it wasn't something that was gonna tempt me back into milk & egg consumption. I think at the end of the day, although we may feel guilty about eating something like that we are doing what we can to help the animals, but that doesn't mean we're perfect (although of couse we'd like to be), there are are gonna be mistakes along the way whether we know about them or not.

Quote harpy View Post
    Hmm, I'm not too familiar with sherbert Tigerlily as the term isn't used much here I don't think (not in connection with frozen desserts anyway). I have looked at some websites that seem to agree that the inclusion of milk would make a sorbet into a sherbert, but then some also think that the inclusion of eggs would result in a sherbert. This attempts to untangle the differences in national terminology http://ezinearticles.com/?Whats-the-...et?&id=4428906 I'm confused now!

yeah...I get confused on whether to call the stuff sorbet or sherbet. Aren't they pronounced the same or something? Craziness. When I talk about sorbet or sherbet....I'm basically talking about the pureed and frozen fruit stuff..
    Or...maybe I'm talking about Italian Ice.

Pshht. I dunno.

The good thing is that a lot of commercial products called "sorbet" here seem to be vegan - think people stopped using egg whites because of the salmonella risk.

If I realize there's dairy in a product I won't knowingly consume that product, partly because I believe that wouldn't make me a vegan and partly because the idea of dairy actually makes me feel physically sick now (it didn't to start with ). If I eat a product and find out later that it contained some sort of milk or egg trace, I won't beat myself up about it as we all make mistakes from time to time. I'm always very scruptulous with my shopping so it would be very rare that I end up buying something that contained dairy. The only time this might occur, as it did so today, is if a family member/friend buys me something that's not vegan. My mum thought she was being nice when she bought me a packet of iced buns from sainsburys but she had confused herself with a different supermarket chain. I simply told her, she realized her mistake and gave them to other members of her family.

Tofu Monkey - everyday at work people bring stuff in for us office staff to eat and absolutely none of it I can eat so I give it to other people in my office. To be honest it doesn't bother me that much because if I ate donuts everyday like they do, then I'd be seriously large...like them!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I recently discovered New York Bagels are now vegan, I was so happy. But I bought some Jamaica Bun and found it to not be vegan... it's like torture, as I love it, and it's still in my kitchen. My kids are working their way through it though!! If I do buy anything by mistake, I don't eat it - I have a shelf at the top of my cupboard, once amonth I get a bag and take anything there to the homeless shelter. Less and less each month, so I have to stop at the Asian store on route to add some cans of chickpeas and tomatoes!

I nearly cried in the vegan shop near me yesterday. I haven't been in for ages, and was sick of finding that all chocolate seems to now have milk in it,so I called in for some munchies. It felt so good to know I didn't have to read a single packet... I could just buy what I wanted. I ended up with chocolate, chocolate beans, dried cranberries, spiced roasted chick peas and a tub of chocolate ice cream. It's been that long since I ate chocolate that I ate the beans and felt sick... so I have the chocolate and ice cream for tonight!! lol x
    Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Tofu Monkey - everyday at work people bring stuff in for us office staff to eat and absolutely none of it I can eat so I give it to other people in my office. To be honest it doesn't bother me that much because if I ate donuts everyday like they do, then I'd be seriously large...like them!
    haha! That's one of the positive aspects of the vegan diet, in that it stops you pigging out on a lot on cakes and snacks that other people bring into work. In a couple of years time I'll be a qualified teacher and I'm just dreading the Christmas/summer holidays when all the children give me presents and the like. My friend says that despite making it known that she's a vegan both to the parents and the children through many devisive ways, she always gets boxes and boxes of Roses and Cadbury's Heroes, boxes of biscuits and other non-vegan goodies. She's given up trying! I'm not looking forward to the arkwardness of having to say thank you and accepting these gifts and then having to find new homes for them, after all, the children are only trying to be nice

Keane

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    I'm always a bit wary of buying any farmhouse scrumpies for what could be in 'em. Cow pats, dead rats, you never know and oy loikes a bit o' Zummerset zoider.

^ funny :0)

i get an asda home delivery shop type thing sometimes and generally stick to the stuff i know. i'm not sure why cos i tend to mess it up repeatedly (86 red onions...17 kilograms of mushrooms..etc etc.) i have accidently bought stuff that had milk in..err..it's nearly always that pesky snuck-in milk.. i read labels of unknown stuff pretty intensively, still, but sometimes on their home delivery webshite the stuff i've bought has had milk in when it didn't say..chappatis..i'm talking chappatis. and some ciabatta once. WHY. i got a sinking feeling and threw them in the freezer. ever the procrastinating sort i am.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I give it my mom.

Quote vegan ben View Post
    I am shocked by part time vegans.If i found out something non vegan i wouldnt eat it.If i ate it knowing it not vegan then that would mean im not a vegan.For gods sake your either vegan or your not.If i brought something non vegan by mistake and it never happens because im extremely carefull i would give it away or bin it or feed foxes etc.If in a restaurant i wouldnt eat something non vegan just to save wasteing it.
    I agree with this point of view although I understand how mistakes can be made. I bought ready made pizza bases and on the way home wondered if a specific ingredient was vegan, on telling my bf that I would just have a pasta bake with homemade pizza sauce if they weren't vegan he got annoyed and said "you've paid for it now, that's ridiculous to just not eat it", however I wouldn't have been able to bring myself to eat my pizza knowing that it wasn't vegan... If it was unintenional, that's completely different.

i dont eat it. im the only vegan in my house, everyone else is a veggie, so when i accidentally bought flavoured cous cous and it had milk in it well the kids and teh rats shared it.

recently my husband 'treated me' to some fancy organis liquorice, sadly it was glazed with bees wax, (really is there any need?!!) it really was the thought that counted i was grateful he thought of me, and my workmate was grateful that i couldnt eat it, as she did! haha

I give them to my omni or vegetarian friends and family. I rarely buy anything non vegan though since I, like a lot of you I'm guessing, became a pro at reading ingredients and knowing what is what when it comes to labels.

In my opinion the worst is when someone buys you something out of the blue and you read the ingredients and it's not vegan. Kind of heartbreaking when it was just a really kind gesture, and you have to say that you won't use it.

Rocket Queen

I thought mentos were vegan and they aren't and I have eaten a few packets over the last few months
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Quote Tishy View Post
    One time he ate prawn crackers thinking they weren't made out of prawn!!! .
    I actually did this too! Back when I was only vegetarian (before becoming vegan) I assumed that they were the same as prawn cocktail flavoured crisps and that it was only a flavouring, not actual prawn. I only realised my mistake then my mouth swelled up (I am allergic to prawn) and felt extremely silly!!

Accidental buys - we all make mistakes. We've all had that horrific experience of realising that something you just ate was in fact non-vegan, but I think the important thing to remember is that we all make mistakes. If it is indeed a genuine mistake then although I do feel bad (and usually a bit daft) but as long as I use it as a future lesson then I could forgive myself. However if I knowingly consumed something which I knew to be non-vegan (even if I'd just spent money on it) then there is no way I would feel able to still consider myself to be vegan, so I would either give it away to someone or throw it in the bin.

However on a somewhat similar issue I do still own a few non-food non-vegan products from my pregan days (shoes with a bit of leather on, some make up products) which I do still use until they wear out and I can replace them with with a vegan version so am phasing them out, and I'm sure that there are vegans out there who would tell me that this is wrong and that I shouldn't be calling myself a vegan, so it really is a grey issue I think.
    A vegan dietitian in the making :)

leedsveg

Recently bought 2 x tins of Zanae brand rice wrapped in vine leaves but never noticed that there was beef in with the rice. Zanae also produce a similar product in an almost identical can which does not contain beef. Boo-bloody-hoo!

leedsveg

I didn't realise there was a meat version of the vine leaves - thanks for the warning.