Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

Default Re: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

I hate buying something that is not vegan and not noticing until after I bought it or worse have started eating it! Tonight I started eating some houmous when I realised it didn't taste the same as it used to. I checked the ingredients to find they have added honey . Usually I will give non vegan items I have accidently bought to my partner or a friend but it's use by date is today and my partner doesn't eat houmous . I refuse to eat it, I stopped eating it as soon as I saw the word 'honey' on the list and even spat out what was in my mouth. It angers me as I'm usually very careful but this certain houmous has been vegan for so long I didn't think they would change it. I'm going to go back to my checking of every item now to make sure. It's rare for this to happen (I can count all the times it has since being vegan on one hand) but when it does it makes me feel very guilty . I certainly couldn't carry on and eat a non-vegan product.
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

Yuck, honey in houmous? Doesn't even sound nice. Perhaps you should name and shame so that the rest of us don't buy it by accident!

It was Sainsburys houmous. The maroccan style one. It had been vegan for a long time before hand. I hadn't bought it for a while and didn't realise the new recipe logo thing on it when I picked it up . Such a shame as it's the only store bought houmous I buy now as I make all the others. Annoyingly I bought it as I can't make that one taste right when I make it and they go and change it , no idea how long it has had honey in it. I'm really dissapointed as that was one of my treats. I won't be buying houmous again now unless they change it back to being vegan due to it being the only one I can't get right.
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

Thanks for letting us know, crazy_4_veg. It is annoying when you think you've found something vegan and then they change the formula, isn't it? Still, making your own is good too, not that I often do.

crazy_4_veg, maybe it'd be worth writing to Sainsbury's and complaining - houmous is a vegan staple after all, it's madness that they would make it non-vegan.
    http://veganofthenorth.wordpress.com/

I've been vegan now for about 15 years and I do it still regularly :S, I never learn. I do have the excuse that I often go shopping with my little girl of 3 who randomly puts products in my trolley and I end up buying something that I don't want or am really distracted and don't check a product well enough. I just did it two days ago as well, buying milk powder instead of soy milk powder, I will return it to the store. If I can't (be bothered) I give it to a friend or at worst just throw it in the bin.

VagabondVegan

Live in a flat with 6 other non-vegans, not a problem at all

I've just realized that I bought some cherry jam that isn't vegan and I can't help thinking about it! I was in a hurry at the supermarket and I bought 2 jams(strawberry and cherry). The other one is okay and I've had it before, but the cherry one contains lactic calcium! I am pretty upset about it because I would feel bad to throw it away, but I would also feel bad to eat it. And my parent's don't eat those stuff, so I just don't know what to do with it...
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

If you haven't opened it, maybe you can donate it to a food pantry.

Do you definitely know its not Vegan, lactic calcium/calcium lactate can often be vegan

You can probably return it to the store and get a refund if it wasn't opened yet.

Thank you all for answering me so quickly . No, I haven't opened it yet. And I really have no source of information about the lactic calcium. I think I'll return it to the supermarket next time I'll go there or if they don't accept, I'm gonna donate it .

! I return to say that I've researched some sources and I've found out that lactic calcium is vegan for sure. It doesn't have to do with lactose or something like this. I panicked because I saw the word 'lactctic' and I thought it has to do with milk. Thank you Firestorm for telling me that it may be vegan(and it really is) .
    "We all love animals. Why do we call some "pets" and others "dinner?" - K.D. Lang

Crusty Rat

Usually pawn them off on non-vegan friends if it's too late/too much effort to go back. Same with thoughtless/confused gifts, although I have to admit my partner's mum got her a crate of Old Speckled Hen for her birthday and, after agonising for some time, we drank it. Booze is the most annoying one! A Russian friend bought me some milk chocolates and a pack of John Smiths for my birthday (I think something got lost in translation...). I gave the chocs to a veggie friend but the beer's still on top of the cupboard. I don't even drink commercial alcohol anymore! Dunno what to do with it, most of my mates are vegan too.

This sadly happens to me quite often however hard I try to avoid it. The food labeling in Turkey is quite bad, the ingredients are written down in such small letters that you can hardly read them in a supermarket. So quite often I spend hours and hours in a supermarket reading labels and getting headaches at the same time or looking for products from other countries (which have better labelling). I often send emails to manufacturers but they are so alien to the idea of 'vegan' that I don't even trust the answers they give me.

But whenever I do accidentally buy a non-vegan product, I give to a colleague or my family. Sticking to home made fresh vegetable dishes with vegan ingredients I buy in the UK is my only safe choice.

odizzido

This pretty much doesn't happen to me anymore, but if I buy a non-vegan product then it is damage done already. By buying that product I told the company that what they are doing is just fine.

However while I may not be able to undo my damage, I might be able to reduce someone else's damage by giving the product to them so they buy one less animal product. If I am unable to give a product away then I will eat it myself. The only thing worse than paying someone to cage and kill an animal for food is paying someone to cage and kill an animal for no reason at all.

Besides, eating it and feeling really bad while doing it will just make you do better next time. It certainly sinks the message in for me.

^ TBH, I wouldn't consider you a vegan if you do that.

Animal products aren't food to me so I would never eat them intentionally.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

odizzido

that's fine, I am not bothered if you think I am or not. My concern is not increasing demand for the production/use of animal products.

Yes, but by eating an animal product you are giving out confusing messages to non vegans. I am vegan because I think it is wrong to eat animals so why would I want to consume a non vegan product just because I accidentally bought it thinking it was vegan?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

odizzido

to me it's even more wrong to waste it. I have been about not wasting things and reducing environmental impact for a fair amount longer than I have been vegan. These two desires have come into conflict for me, and after some internal debate I decided that wasting something to ease my soul when it gives 0 benefit to anyone/thing else and actually increases waste/pollution is not something I want to do. I will suffer for the mistakes I make, but I won't inflict it on anything else.

Minus mosquito and horse flies that is. If something tries to eat me they are fair game to kill.

to me it's even more wrong to waste it.
    Billions of tons of edible plants are 'wasted' in nature every year. Nobody seems to worry much, so why worry if eg. a dead bird isn't eaten?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

odizzido

The plant/animal waste in nature is nature and has bee going on for so long that I can only conclude that it is infact good. However when people produce food we do all sorts of bad things. We burn gas to harvest, burn gas to transport, fertilizers production, produce non-biodegradable materials, etc, etc ,etc. I beleive that the way people live is destroying the environment that has existed for ages. While I may not go so far as to become a farmer that does everything naturally with no technology, I will go so far as to reduce my impact as much as possible.

If I stranded on an island with only cannibals, I still wouldn't eat human meat... even if the human already was killed so the 'damage was done', not for rational reasons, but because the idea putting someone else's body parts/blood etc in my mouth disgusts me. It's not rational at all - it just doesn't appeal to me, just like eating chicken doesn't appeal to me even if 'the damage is done'-situations.

Maybe eating human meat is such a situation wouldn't be unethical, and maybe eating chicken soup if you by accident had bought a chicken soup you couldn't hand over to someone else would't be unethical either. I wouldn't do it - for irrational reasons - and for the records, I've never eaten a chicken when I was an omnivore either. Maybe you would... I guess the bottom line is that we stick to doing what feels right.

odizzido

eating humans does one thing that eating other animals does not. It turns people into food which means you are surrounded by predators. That is a scary idea and why even I might not do it even to survive. I hope I never need to find out.

Perhaps if humans viewed each other more as 'food' they would wake up and realise the barbaric way in which they treat non human animals. I think it would be a good thing.
    We are animals ourselves afterall.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

"It turns people into food which means you are surrounded by predators."
    One essential thing about veganism is that we have made a decision to not only take our own safety/freedom/lives into consideration. Both wild and captured, innocent, non-violent animals are already surrounded by predators: humans.

One of the many small thinks we can do to change that is not not accept that someone slips some milk in a cup of coffee to a vegan, and don't take it back and gives him what he actually ordered, because they assume that we'll drink it anyway. There are many of situations where "wasting" is the best solution.

"eating humans does one thing that eating other animals does not."
    I haven't seen any evidence of that, but used that example only to show that 'the damage already has been done'. I wouldn't much rather 'waste' someone's body parts than eating them (animals or not), because I don't look at animal body parts as something which is natural for me/us to eat, and therefor don't see not eating these body parts as wasting food. If I drive a car and see a dead animal by the roadside, I don't see not taking that dead animal home and eat it as 'wasting' food either. A meat eater would probably do that, and if you think it's OK to eat anything with nutrients in it, including dead animals, you sound like a so called 'freegan', and not a vegan.

Anyway, this is a thread about accidentally buying non-vegan food, so I/we are getting off topic here...

Quote Korn View Post
    Anyway, this is a thread about accidentally buying non-vegan food, so I/we are getting off topic here...
    odizzido why don't you return the good to the store. They will refund you and the damage will be undone what your part concerns. Returning it perfectly marries being vegan and not wasting anything and when they ask why you are returning the product you get to mini-advocate veganism.

Willingly and knowingly consuming it not only goes against what veganism stands for but your actions also reduce the supply. So more of a product you are against is produced and that is the real waste here.

odizzido

Wow you guys assume a lot of stuff. Alright here you go:

-I have never eaten an animal product I purchased(I have purchased two in total by mistake now) that could be returned or given away.
    -I have never accepted an animal product from a restaurant that I have been given. Their mistake, their waste. Not mine.
    -I don't think many people pick up rotting animals from the side of the road and eat them. Probably less than 0.01% of meat eaters do. It's simply not healthy and your example is ridiculous.

You know when I joined this forum I never expected to have a bunch of people who don't eat animals to sit here arguing about eating animals.

^ Perhaps because you gave the impression that you had eaten animal products you purchased by mistake?

Quote odizzido View Post
    Besides, eating it and feeling really bad while doing it will just make you do better next time. It certainly sinks the message in for me.
    Quote odizzido View Post
    I messed up with some crisps/chips during my first week.....it contained some sort of pig juice I seem to recall. I wanted to toss them but I made myself eat it just to let the message to be more careful sink in.

Perhaps because you gave the impression that you had eaten animal products you purchased by mistake?

IMHO odizzido has a valid point. Some action may not fit in with the term 'vegan', but may still not be unethical/unhealthy or represent a threat to the environment.

Quote Korn View Post
    IMHO odizzido has a valid point. Some action may not fit in with the term 'vegan', but may still not be unethical/unhealthy or represent a threat to the environment.
    Valid or not, odizzido has said one thing then said something completely the opposite and claimed that people have assumed it.

leedsveg

Quote odizzido View Post
    I don't think many people pick up rotting animals from the side of the road and eat them. Probably less than 0.01% of meat eaters do. It's simply not healthy and your example is ridiculous.

You know when I joined this forum I never expected to have a bunch of people who don't eat animals to sit here arguing about eating animals.
    I've never known anybody "pick up rotting animals from the side of the road and eat them" and to be fair to Korn, he didn't actually say that.

As for "a bunch of people" "arguing about eating animals", having been on quite a few vegan forums, I would say that in various guises, this is unsurprisingly, a very regular topic.

A belated welcome to the forum, by the way, odizzido.

Leedsveg

Ugh. I accidentally purchased the wrong cheese I usually buy Follow Your Heart Gourmet cheese or Galaxy Nutritional Foods (Rice Cheese) from local health stores. I found out that a new local grocery store has many vegan options, such as wiener dogs, tofu, cheese, TVP ground meat, rolls, etc. So I saw the cheeses and figured it was the same as what I usually buy. I got all excited because it was significantly cheaper than what I usually pay. So I ended up buying 3 packages of the single cheeses. Anyway, so I get home and decide to finish up my rice cheese on a macrobiotic plate I made. As I ate my meal I started reading the package and noticed it has casein (a milk protein)! UGHH! Why would Galaxy put a MILK protein in a cheese branded as VEGGIE SLICES! And to top it off along with all the other veggie foods! :'( Now I don't have cheese til I go to the health store.

I suppose my partner will eat it, so it's not a total loss. But not the best thing to realize you just bought non-vegan food.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

You can also put unwanted item into compost. Atleast your garden/vegies can benefit from the mistake.

There are not many truly vegan companies out there. You have to check every product and not just make assumptions. Check the products you are used to on regular bases as well, and double check when their packaging changes. Remember assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

I have been Vegan for about 4-5 months already and I am as strict as I was when I was vegetarian. I actually read all the posts on this topic and I was genuinely surprised on how many vegans ate what they bought, which was non-vegan, anyway, just because they didn't want to waste their food. I usually never purchase anything non-vegan, as I am extremely vigilant when it comes to what I am consuming. I always go by two distinct rules which I conclude many of you must go by as well:
    1. Never assume, EVER.
    2. Never trust anybody who says the food they are preparing you is Vegan unless you check the ingredients yourself. (For example, they may not know every little ingredient which is not vegan, such as whey, carmine, lactose, casein, etc.)

However, a couple weeks back I got hit with one of those common colds and I was avoiding chemical medicine for the majority of the duration of my cold since I no longer am comfortable consuming such things, and since it was refusing to rid my system I decided it was time to get some cough drops and medicine, so I went to this store called "Planet Organic" and upon looking for about 20ish minutes I FINALLY found some cough drops and I looked at the ingredients for solely honey & milk since the other flavours of that same brand all had honey in it. The ONE flavour which did not have honey in it was orange or something with little chip-like things embedded inside the cough drop so I bought it. Right as I left the market, I decided to have a more vigilant look and then VOILA --- CARMINE. So I just took it back.

I stocked up on soya milk last week, and then realised one of the ingredients was vitamin D3, despite it saying on the carton that all of the ingredients were of vegetable origin. :/ I have like 5 cartons of the stuff left and no idea what to do with them. That was the only brand of soya milk that I've been able to find in this stupid country as well. );

leedsveg

Hi pp and welcome to the forum. It's theoretically possible that the D3 is not of animal origin but I very much doubt it. That being so, and with the carton details being misleading, I think you have a case for returning your purchase and getting back your money as you only bought the stuff based on a misdescription in the labelling.

As for you buying genuinely suitable for vegans soya milk in BA, I have no idea. Does this link help?

Good luck

Leedsveg

(a very last resort would be to try making your own)

I was desperately hoping that too, but every site I can find on google says it's definitely not vegan. And it was pretty much the only brand of soya milk I've seen here. );

Thanks for the website, I've seen it already and all of those places are really far away from when I'm living right now. ); A visit to China town is like a two/three hour round trip heh.

Ha I once had a look at a recipe for making soya milk and it looks like a very long and boring process lol. Also I don't even like it that much, I just drink it because it's an easy way to make sure I get enough calcium.

^ I think you definitely have a case for returning it...or get some credit back at the store where you purchased the soya milk. Perhaps you could find powdered soya milk? It's a very long and tedious process (lot's of bubbling and a mess). I believe you can also try making your soy beverage with soya flour (although I could be wrong). I think it's such a waste to manufacture soya milk and soya products then stick animal ingredients in there...defeats the purpose I think. I think Silk Soy Milk is one of my most faithful lovers...no animal products..all vegan!
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

I can't really be bothered to be honest. My Spanish isn't good enough and even if I did manage to communicate the problem they still probably wouldn't understand why I wouldn't be happy drinking it.

I might send an email to company that makes it though.

airalien

Yes! I got so sick of making mistakes, so I've become so paranoid about it but at least I won't be making any more mistakes (hopefully.)

Now I only buy products that say they are vegan and even then I look up all the ingredients to make sure. I also try not to buy vegan products from companies that also make non-vegan products - but that can be very difficult.

Quote porcupine_treats View Post
    I stocked up on soya milk last week, and then realised one of the ingredients was vitamin D3, despite it saying on the carton that all of the ingredients were of vegetable origin.
    As I understand it, vegan D3 recently became available!

http://jacknorrisrd.com/?p=2081

It is entirely possible, and even probable (as according to some things I have read, the new vegan D3 is being billed as cheaper than D2), that the D3 is not of animal origin.

Soy milk products used to primarily use D2, but D3 is a marginally more available form, so they will probably all be switching soon (particularly if the rumors of the lower price-point are true).

Kind of annoying, though, if the package doesn't specify, because we used to be able to tell which is which by the number alone.

Honestly, in this case I'd trust the package if it says it contains no animal products.

Quote porcupine_treats View Post
    Ha I once had a look at a recipe for making soya milk and it looks like a very long and boring process lol. Also I don't even like it that much, I just drink it because it's an easy way to make sure I get enough calcium.
    Ah... yeah, calcium is very easy to get. It's a rock. I don't suggest buying soy milk for calcium.

You can certainly find lime(mineral) there, in almost any market (seriously, particularly in South and central America), which is calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2, and should be very cheap.

Just mix a tiny bit of that with lemon or lime(fruit) juice (or pineapple, or orange, even tomato sauce, or powdered citric acid), and they will react:

Ca(OH)2 + citric acid ~= H20 + Calcium citrate. (I can give you the exact formula if you want)

It doesn't take much at all; something in the neighborhood of a tablespoon a day should be fair supplementation.

I'm happy to give you more detailed instructions for preparation, and look up exact dosage, or tell you how to ask for it in Spanish if you want.

But really, it's pretty harmless (I don't think you'd be capable of eating enough to make yourself sick- I mean, you'd have to eat like a half a pound of it), and preparation would just involve mixing a dash in (as though you were salting) while cooking (with tomato sauce) or mixing a drink (with lemon, etc.). It's commonly used in the preparation of certain foods.

See other common food uses here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium...#Food_industry

The taste is sour, and slightly salty, so you'd probably want to add a little less salt if you used it. It can be a little chalky, though (I can always taste it in Orange juice- that's what they use in OJ to add calcium).

MamaSuesPasta

I myself make this mistake often, I'm often busy rushing in and out of the store trying to grab the food that I need for the week. Once I get home and start to load the fridge I'll look and I'll notice that I have bought a non-vegan item. I'll often have to give that away to a neighbor or a friend as I won't often have time or a chance to go back to the store and attempt to make a return. I'll be out of that item for a week, it sucks going with out my organic soy milk.

^ can't you stick to the same brands if you don't have time to read labels. Seems weird to just grab anything like that.

I give it to my non veg partner when this happens
    He happily eats it for me...

It can get frustrating! The other day I decided to try vegan cheese for the first time. So I went to the little vegan section in the grocery, and there was daiya and this other brand right beside it that was .50 cheaper. Without thinking, I grabbed it. When I got home I saw it said "Contains milk and soy" Why would you need a fake cheese that has milk in it?! It still has lactose, so I was at a loss. Still not sure what I am going to do with it.

Could you take it back and ask for your money back?

That is a great idea! The problem is the only store that sells vegan foods is far away, so I just go once a month. I live with omnis, so I think I will have to pass it on to them, and read labels even when it seems like it should be obvious!

My partner hates shopping with me because I check the ingredients of EVERYTHING - even though we essentially buy the same products each week they so often change ingredients it's just worrying.
    I find it good because I don't know my E numbers so anything with one is out of the basket. I have a book with them all in I have thought about taking but I hate food shopping at the best of times - prolonging the trip even more seems a drag.

I'd say if you accidentally bought something non-vegan and couldn't return it - give to a homeless shelter. Turning a negative into a positive
    I do see the - if you buy it, showing the company support argument but I personally don't want cruelty in my body thank you! Plus I think anything non-vegan would make me sick - certainly makes me feel it looking at the food others eat!

(and no I am not trying to start a debate on the ethics of giving non-vegan food to homeless people)

Coolcat, I don't get it either. I have my brands that I like so I simply get those all the time. I look at all my labels and am out rather quickly too.

EpicLibrarian, I had to taught myself to do that. I've made a few mistakes but have been able to get my money back. I too travel far (40+mins) to a Whole Foods to get some stuff and once I grabbed a burrito without looking cause it was in the box of a vegan kind. I ended up keeping the burrito in the freezer for several days until I was able to go back and return it, they luckily didn't give me any hassle even though I always expect it. The local supermarket also didn't have an issue when I returned some granola that had milk in it, and my only reason was "It has milk in it." cause I didn't even have the time to say "And I'm allergic" lol, I guess me not wanting the milk was good enough so that's cool.