Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

Default Re: If you accidentally buy non-vegan food

People working at the supermarket don't give a shit really, if the store has a return policy (ie only accept returns with a receipt) they will just follow that. It's in the best interest of the supermarket to have happy customers who return, and taking a loss from returned goods they can't sell on anymore is part of their business model. If your return the good with a defect (off taste, weird color,...) they can just pass the loss on to the producer in most cases. Or they have a % loss agreement with the producer that covers it.

Oh well, I don't suppose I'm the first, but I fell for the old 9 Bar trick. No eggs or dairy but I failed to spot the honey. That'll teach me not to take my reading glasses when I go shopping. Annoying though, I'm sure that food manufacturers are having a competition to see who can list ingredients in the most microscopic font.

I emailed them to ask if they were planning to introduce any vegan bars, here's the reply

"We certainly do have plans to introduce a vegan bar, and we are actually launching one in July, so as long as you like peanuts, then our new vegan friendly bar will be just the ticket!"

From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Quote Jiffy View Post
    Oh well, I don't suppose I'm the first, but I fell for the old 9 Bar trick....

I emailed them to ask if they were planning to introduce any vegan bars, here's the reply

"We certainly do have plans to introduce a vegan bar, and we are actually launching one in July, so as long as you like peanuts, then our new vegan friendly bar will be just the ticket!"
    The new peanut bar is out. It is okay but nothing magical
    Houmous atá ann!

I liked it but as Blueberries say "nothing magical"!
    However it also appears that some of the new savoury flavoured ones are vegan as well:
    http://www.naturalgrocery.co.uk/What...sweet-chilli-1

I usually don't eat it and leave it around so one of my non vegan friends (finding other vegans in Mexico is really hard) will eat it later. When I'm at a restaurant, however, I can never really tell if the food I'm eating is 100% vegan since in my country (Mexico) most restaurants use chicken stew cubes instead of salt when cooking most things. I'f I'm feeleing ultra vegan that week I'll just order a salad instead.

Quote Nemesiah View Post
    however, I can never really tell if the food I'm eating is 100% vegan since in my country (Mexico) most restaurants use chicken stew cubes instead of salt when cooking most things.
    Surely the answer there is to either find out or not eat it.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote Risker View Post
    Surely the answer there is to either find out or not eat it.
    That is what I usually do, but I have noticed that very few waiters will be forthcoming about that. I have recieved conflicting information from diferent waiters at the same restaurant for the same dish, so I usually just end up eating a salad, some time when the "no animlas here" seems sincere I do risk it (specially around my mother who stresses about me not being able to eat at restaurants).

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

People wouldn't buy things by mistake if they were labelled clearly. I've noticed since transitioning from veggie to vegan that not everything that's vegan is labelled as such.

True, but I think some companies think if they put "vegan" on the pack it will put more people off than it will encourage, which is sad and also unlikely to be correct, as in my experience most people only look long enough at the packaging to check they are buying chocolate biscuits (or whatever they're after).

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

People don't even look at the new calorie labelling on the front that the FSA have introduced over the past year or two. I'm so tired of using google to see what some ingredients are.
    If it made companies uncomfortable labelling things vegan they could at least say Contains egg, dairy, gluten etc.
    I hope it changes soon

Quote Turquatic View Post
    If it made companies uncomfortable labelling things vegan they could at least say Contains egg, dairy, gluten etc.
    They do, it's a legal requirement to list those as allergens on the labelling.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hmmm. At my organic store... Some croissants, would be tasty this morning. I look behind: It seams to be vegan, yay!

At home, I put in oven to warm it a bit. I smell cheese or something like that. I look the ingredient again. Nooooo!! may contain traces of eggs.....

I go see my brother, and I try to give him some warm croissants in a plate. He doesn't want... He said he doesn't eat that... Omg...

I've eat both croissants i made for breakfast, because I really don't want to waste em... But now I feel really bad about it.

Then I went on google and search about may contain traces of dairy or eggs and apparently, it could be still vegan??? Because it only share same equipment so they don't really use eggs or milk to cook em.

What do you think? As a vegan, can I eat those?

May contain traces warnings are usually in case of allergies. Everyone draws their own lines, but personally I will eat it if something "may contain traces" as I know it's not a deliberate ingredient, it was just made in the same factory as non-vegan stuff.

I'm with dropscone - I sometimes buy things with cross-contamination warnings, because I don't consider that my custom is encouraging the use of animal products in those instances.

Quote harpy View Post
    I'm with dropscone - I sometimes buy things with cross-contamination warnings, because I don't consider that my custom is encouraging the use of animal products in those instances.
    Yah, me too.

"Made in a factory that also produces ..." kinda warnings, meh!

Like, how often do we eat in homes/restaurants that also produces?
    All done in the best possible taste ...