Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics! (2)

Talking The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics! (2)

Does anyone know of anywhere you can still get creme eggs? The veganstore link posted earlier in the thread appears to be something else now.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Default Re: The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics!

Quote Risker View Post
    Does anyone know of anywhere you can still get creme eggs? The veganstore link posted earlier in the thread appears to be something else now.
    It think probably not The Animal Aid shop lists them as a discontinued item
    http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/chocbars.htm

I know there will be a cream egg stall at the Veggie Pride event in Brum this weekend - they are very nice eggs too.

I could get some and bring to Bristol fayre or post for those not going to Veggie Pride?

But then there might be some on sale at Bristol?

i was thinking along those lines..when i saw the thingy in my inbox i first thought of alisont..
    then i thought buy some in brum and distribute..
    .. and THEN i thought at BVF they'll have an small child ambling round with 3 dozen in a basket no doubt..?!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I wonder if Veganstore (or indeed ANYWHERE in the UK) will start stocking THESE. I'm *almost* tempted to order them from the US.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Buddha Belly

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    I wonder if Veganstore (or indeed ANYWHERE in the UK) will start stocking THESE. I'm *almost* tempted to order them from the US.

OMG! I want to move to the US just to have them.

they do sound good. according to the website Wholefoods stores in the US stock them, so maybe the UK ones will eventually. i wouldn't count on Veganstore.co.uk getting them in even if their US counterpart has them, their product range has been getting smaller and smaller recently.

Default Re: The Chocolate Decadence Thread - for genuine chocoholics! (2)

They look delicious! I love rice milk chocolate!

OMG! I want some now. I love vegan chocolates but they are often so plain. There needs to be more candy bar chocolates out there!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

^agreed! I'm not a fan of solid chocolate. I had some so I melted it to make chocolate covered strawberries
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Veganstore have new vegan versions of mars bars, snickers and milky ways but they are already sold out. (Looks like they won't be back in stock before the London vegan fair either so no chance of picking one up there unfortunately.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Tesco are selling Gianduiotti which appear according to their ingredients list to be vegan. They're not cheap (£2.59 for not the largest bag I've ever seen), but very nice.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Marrers View Post
    Veganstore have new vegan versions of mars bars, snickers and milky ways but they are already sold out. (Looks like they won't be back in stock before the London vegan fair either so no chance of picking one up there unfortunately.)
    Wow! £2.15 per bar Am I reading that right??? (but still, I'd like to give the snickers a try! )

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Tesco are selling Gianduiotti which appear according to their ingredients list to be vegan. They're not cheap (£2.59 for not the largest bag I've ever seen), but very nice.
    mmmmm, they look nice!

I've got such a chocolate craving atm! Quite unlike me, its usually crisps and nuts I crave!

Not to do with chocolate exactly but I didn't know where else to put this.

I just got my order from Sweet Vegan and can report that the fudge is very tasty! Different flavours have different consistencies so which you'll prefer depends on how you prefer your fudge. The chocolate was my favourite because it was the crumbliest, with vanilla next. Drunken Sailor (rum and raisin) was quite strongly flavoured and much softer, the coffee walnut was really soft and squidgy - too soft for my taste so my least favourite.
    One complaint I have is that I did not see any info on the website about expiry dates, although I have since found it in a small section marked 'storage' on the bottom line along with postage info and FAQs. These fudges only last a week in the fridge but it says you can freeze them for 3 months - I probably wouldn't have ordered 4 slabs if I'd know that!

I also got some of the new Sweet 'n' Sara marshmallow flavours - strawberry and cinnamon pecan. Not sure I'm too keen on those and I probably prefer the vanilla ones (I used to like the chocolate ones but they stopped doing those). These are marked as lasting 6-8 weeks in the fridge.

But I have to admit my fudge and chocolate breakfast has left me feeling rather sick!
    Last edited by Marrers; Aug 13th, 2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: To add expiry date info
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Just to add to the above the fudge freezes really well and can actually be eaten straight from the freezer.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    The look yumtastic. What do they taste like?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote Risker View Post
    Veganstore are selling the creme eggs again:
    http://www.veganstore.co.uk/mm5/merc...egory_Code=002

the Veganstore website is letting you order them although it does say they're out of stock until late September. i've placed an order so i'll see how long i have to wait for them to arrive.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    The look yumtastic. What do they taste like?
    They're like a solid version of chocolate hazlenut spread.

I like them best when they're slightly chilled (i.e. not completely solid, but with a bit of bite and texture, whilst still smooth and in the mouth meltable).

We've had about 8 bags so far, they don't seem to last very long

I'm trying to go easy on buying chocolate at the moment as it disappears too fast but I did (briefly) have a bar of this Divine fair trade dark choc with raspberries which I thought was rather good.

I've not seen that one, will keep an eye open. We get through a lot of dark divine, it's what we use for cooking. It's half the price in supermarkets than it is in health food stores. I'm all for supporting local business (and do for other products), but at 90p a bar for 100g of tasty fairtrade chocolate....

Now, what I am totally craving at the moment is Toblerone. Is there any vegan type of sweeties similar?
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

None that I've seen. I've not for that matter seen any vegan nougat in the past 10 years.

You could add some crushed almonds (possibly caramalised in a bit of sugar first to make an almond praline) and a smidge of agave nectar to melted chocolate for a vaguely similar effect, but it wouldn't be anywhere near identical.

Toblerone does seem like the sort of thing that could be simulated if one could be @rsed as it's just chocolate with bits in after all. There's a recipe for vegan nougat on here: http://www.veganfamily.co.uk/mars.htm , anyone tried that?

Quote harpy View Post
    I'm trying to go easy on buying chocolate at the moment as it disappears too fast but I did (briefly) have a bar of this Divine fair trade dark choc with raspberries which I thought was rather good.
    i bought a bar of that from Ethical Superstore but i haven't eaten it yet. i have a huge amount of chocolate in the cupboard at the moment!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i bought a bar of that from Ethical Superstore but i haven't eaten it yet. i have a huge amount of chocolate in the cupboard at the moment!
    That would be a very dangerous state of affairs around here. You must be made of sterner stuff

^ haha, it's the cumulative effect of a care package swap, birthday presents and buying far too much of the stuff myself that has led to this enviable position

Sounds good to me!

I have these spells where if it's not there I don't miss it, but if it is there I "have" to eat it. I suppose one could try filling a cupboard with it so that it's physically impossible to eat it all in one go - hmm, could go either way

I have a drawer full of chocolate and sweets but much of it is out of date now.
    It's not that I don't trough down huge amounts of unsuitable sweet food, it's just that I usually don't fancy the stuff I've bought and eat the same things and have to buy more of those (like posh chocolate creams or peanut chews) leaving the other stuff untouched. And cake trumps chocolate for me so if I can get cake to satisfy my sweet cravings I do!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    the Veganstore website is letting you order them although it does say they're out of stock until late September. i've placed an order so i'll see how long i have to wait for them to arrive.
    my Veganstore order arrived, minus the new chocolate bars with a note on the invoice saying 'Please do not order new chocolate bars until the sold out notice is removed'. i'm not stupid, and i don't think i would've ordered them if the website had actually said they were sold out. they have now put a note on the page saying not to order them yet, but surely it can't be that hard to disable ordering for those products until they're in stock???

ah well, at least i have a ridiculous amount of tiffin now

has anyone mentioned Hipo Hyfryd? i love their maple truffles, and it looks like they've brought out a dairy-free white chocolate truffle, they say 'No animal based product will be used by this business':

Hipo Hyfryd white cacao truffles

not cheap at £4.95 for 4, but i'm interested in trying them

BlackCats

Quote Gorilla View Post
    has anyone mentioned Hipo Hyfryd?
    I have tried the Hipo Hyfryd chocolate at a veggie fayre, it's gorgeous! I have never ordered any as you are right it isn't cheap.

I ordered some sun block online from Animal Aid last week and somehow I also ordered lots of chocolate and chocolate eggs to go with it.

The Hipo Hyfrd chocolates are very nice, but way, way, way overpriced in this vegan's opinion.

I contacted the owner via twitter a while ago to ask about one of the recipes on the site, but never got a reply.

Quote harpy View Post
    i finally got round to eating this and it was very nice indeed

i have tried to order the vegan Mars and Snickers from Veganstore again, the website said they were in stock, i'll have to wait and see if they actually arrive this time!

They sent an email saying they had arrived in stock so you should be okay Gorilla.

My friend brought me round a few orange and peppermint thins to try (in the style of After Eights). They are very nice, I'd say they are orange with a hint of mint. They came from Aldi.

my chocolate bars from Veganstore have arrived! i bought one of each to try and so far i have had the Jokerz bar - vegan 'Snickers'.

it's quite good, the nougat and chocolate coating are lovely. i just thought the caramel was a bit too sweet and sticky, and it could've done with a lot more peanuts. i feel a bit icky now as it was a bit too sickly for me personally.

Snap! My vegan store order arrive too this afternoon

Ive just tried a bit of the mars style bar - nice! (but agree the caramel is a little sickly)

Cant afford too many of those at £1.65 and the postage but nice to try. Also got a milky way style one and a Crunchie type one.

I was in Aldi today and saw they have Dark choc reindeers in that seem to be vegan (just says may contain traces of milk) £1.29. Not got any as Id gone to get a bar of the dark choc orange - am well stocked for chocs now!

my friend recently bought some of the new candy bars, and she let me try the jokerz and twilight kinds yesterday. the jokerz one was ok, but the twilight one was a little too sticky and i didn't really like its flavor. i am really excited about trying the mahalo one next...it's supposed to be like the almond joy bars, which were my favorite in my pre-vegan days.
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

Quote Gorilla View Post
    my chocolate bars from Veganstore have arrived! i bought one of each to try and so far i have had the Jokerz bar - vegan 'Snickers'.
    I opened all mine at once and tried a bit of each to compare them.
    The Buccaneer Bar (Milky Way) was the only one I'd buy regularly.

i tried the Twilight (Mars) and Buccaneer (Milky Way) bars, and i also like the Buccaneer best. still haven't got round to trying the Mahalo or the Maverick yet.

i was disappointed by the Maverick bar - supposed to be a vegan Crunchie. it's very bitter dark chocolate with tiny crunchy bits in it that don't taste of anything. shame because the company seem to be very ethical.

tried the mahalo bar, and it was really good! so far my favorite. the coconut filling feels dense and heavy...from what i remember of almond joy bars, the coconut part was fluffier and lighter. but the mahalo bar is delicious!
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

^ i've just tried the Mahalo bar and it's nice. it's similar to the Organica coconut bars we can get here, but it's a quite a bit sweeter because of the rice milk chocolate as opposed to dark chocolate. the almonds are a nice touch too.

the coconut in both these bars is yellow, which makes me wonder what they do to the coconut in Bounty bars to get it so bright white...

i thought coconut was naturally white...i noticed the yellowness of the coconut in the candy bar and thought that it became yellow from being combined with other ingredients, but i'm not sure...
    ~John Wooden

fresh coconut does seem to be naturally white, but when they process it into the chocolate bars i suppose it discolours slightly either by exposure to air or combining with chocolate particles perhaps; i just wonder if mainstream coconut chocolate bars add some sort of artifical colour or bleaching agents.

This thread has made me want chocolate! *Drools*
    May well go and raid the Christmas stash, (that's currently turning into a mountain) on top of the fridge. Mr. F and I just keep buying more and more and more. I think Christmas dinner may just be chocolate this year

Quote Bluemew View Post
    May well go and raid the Christmas stash

This may have to be moved to the safe.

Has anyone tried Lindt 99% dark chocolate? I love it, although it is very strong so I can only eat one or two squares at a time! It's gotten to the stage now where I think of 70% chocolate as almost like milk chocolate!
    Houmous atá ann!

I've tried it but hated it. It could be that that bar I tried had melted in the shop and reset (it looked a rather odd shape when it came out the pack). I might have to give it another whirl

Quote Firestorm View Post
    I've tried it but hated it. It could be that that bar I tried had melted in the shop and reset (it looked a rather odd shape when it came out the pack). I might have to give it another whirl
    It's definitley an acquired taste. When I first tried it I thought that it was way too bitter but I stuck with it (most of the food I like now I used to hate, so I always try something a few times before I write it off) and now I like it. You need to let it melt on your tongue a bit to release the flavour. The packet suggests pairing it with coffee.

I don't just eat fancy 99% chocolate! I also like trying flavoured and plain dark choc, and I like white chocolate too. Sweet William white bars and buttons and Vantastic foods white chocolate spread are all lovely! I haven't really tried that many milk chocolates. Gwydion sent me Go-max-go bars recently in our food swap and they were nice but very sweet
    Houmous atá ann!

Ghirardelli's 72% dark is dark enough for me. I don't think I'd want to go darker than that. But I have always preferred dark chocolate over milk chocolate.

Oh and before I went vegan, I tried the "Milk Bar" when I was visiting friends in Canada once. I remember it didn't even taste like chocolate at all. Not sure how anyone could eat that. But I guess people get used to eating stuff that's available in their area.