Thread: Vegan Aberdeen

cobweb

Default Vegan Aberdeen

Hi

Currently trying to plan a short break for the end of July. Will be in Aberdeen for 2 nights. When i used to live in Aberdeenshire i never actually managed to find a vegan friendly place to eat, i wonder if it's changed recently .

Any ideas for cheap and cheerful places to stay and/or eat would be most appreciated .

Default Re: Help! Aberdeen - need to eat ;-)

I used to live in Aberdeen, not sure about where to stay, but restaurant/eating wise there are no places which are strictly vegan/vegetarian But there are many restaurants I've been to which can cater for vegans - I usually call places in advance and ask them if there are items on the menu which I can have/if they can change items for me etc and I've never had much trouble with this. But here are some places that I've eaten at before:

There's a Pizza Express on Union St. There's a nice Spanish Tapas place on Union St too. There's an Indian place called Kury on King St, which also does take-out. There are actually loads of good Indian restaurants in Aberdeen and I havent found any trouble with any regarding vegan food so there are plently places to eat in if you like Indian food.

There's also a lovely coffee shop in the centre of town which does baguettes with a variety of fillings that are vegan, and the soup is always vegan, and they have soya milk for coffees, and loads of different teas. It's called Kilau and it's on Little Belmont St, it's upstairs so the entrance is small, but the door is purple so easily recognised. (I love love this place, can you tell? )

That's all I can remember right now cus it's been a while since I've eaten out in Aberdeen... But I'll keep thinking!

cobweb

ah, thanks, good ideas!

last time i went to the Slains Castle pub but they were really off about us not having a full meal - even though they didn't have one that was vegan!

so what can you get in pizza express there?

It's the same as pizza express everywhere, they're good at giving you extra veg on your pizza cus you're having it without cheese, but remember to ask them for it :P

And they're usually quite good at telling you what vegan pizza's you can get, but I think all the veggie ones except for the one with a pesto paste thing can be made vegan by leaving cheese out of the pizza

Slains used to be one of my favourite places to go, but they're useless at vegan food. Last time my oh and I went was over a year ago and all they could give me was a green side salad without dressing I was pretty disappointed as I thought they could've done something a bit more interesting cus they have baked potatoes etc, but I think it's just one of those places where there's not an actual chef, and all the food's pre-packaged I do love the cocktails though

cobweb

i don't think i've ever been in any pizza express, will have to try it.

i love the Adams family-ness of Slains and the hidden loos behind the bookcases, etc, but yep, the food situation was crap.

where's a good place for decent simple chips? - my son is a chipaholic

Um... there are a few chippy places in the city centre, but you'd have to ask what they were cooked in and what they are cooked with - a few places I've asked the chips are cooked with the sausages or something silly like that. That was the situation in Slains.

But yeh the eeriness of Slains is amazing. And I like that you can find a really quiet corner to yourself very easily

You should have a look at the Pizza Express menu online, there are some extrememly yummy pizzas! The dough balls in the starters are also vegan, and the olives too.

cobweb

ta, snowy, will do

i seem to recall there's a pizza express on the complex where the cinema is, down by the beach - might go there as we'll probably go to Cadonas fair if the weather allows.

I don't think there is a pizza express there - there is a pizza hut who do have a new salad station where you can make your own salad, and very helpfully on the website you can download the ingredients lists here: http://www.pizzahut.co.uk/restaurant...formation.aspx

The only thing that is vegan at TGI's (at the beach) are their crispy fries, and some steak sauces.

Chiquito has a few things that might be vegan if you mot the sour cream, but I'd be inclined to contact them first to see what they say.

Mixed reviews about Frankie and Benny's re amending the food to be vegan

Jimmy Chungs says they will make other veggie dishes to order (it is a chinese buffet), they always do have some veggie stuff, but it isn't as good or as impressive as their meat dishes (speaking as an ex-omnivore)

There is a chip shop/cafe place at the beach that is quite good, but I haven't enquired as to how they are cooked (wasn't vegan last time I was in Aberdeen)

Oooh!!! Look what I just found!!! http://www.aberdeen.veggroup.org/downloads/index.html

The compassionate guide to animal-free living in Aberdeen - it has a veggie/vegan friendly cafes and restaurants section. Why didn't I find this first!! Its a pdf document. So print and take with you!

Quote cobweb View Post
    ta, snowy, will do

i seem to recall there's a pizza express on the complex where the cinema is, down by the beach - might go there as we'll probably go to Cadonas fair if the weather allows.
    As far as I know there isnt a Pizza Express there, but I could be wrong. Frankie and Bennies can do you pizza without cheese, but I dont think they're as generous with their toppings there.

That's a good find Trow! Wish I'd seen this before!

TelevatorOperator

The Earl of Sandwich on The Green do wicked veggie grill sandwiches (you can replace the halloumi with humous). Also the Beautiful Mountain and Books and Beans (both on Belmont Street) have a couple of vegan options too, the BM's peanut butter and banana sandwiches are tasty! They also do good soup.

I second what's been said about Kilau, really lovely in there. They usually have a vegan soup most days but it tends to run out fast!

The Moonfish Cafe round the corner from Gap (I forget the name of the street, Correction Wynd maybe?) is primarily a seafood restaurant but they'll do you an awesome vegan meze platter if you give them a little notice.

You could try out Chi Bar/Restaurant in the Academy Shopping Centre (Belmont St). They have some lovely tofu dishes but watch out for fish in some of the sauces (usually best to call first).

The Jewel in The Crown on Crown Street is an Indian with an extensive range of veggie dishes and they're more than happy to substitute ghee for olive oil to make them vegan (at least they were when I lived there!).

The Lurker

The Sandollar cafe down on the beachfront does a lovely sundried tomato and olive hummus sandwich

cobweb

thanks everyone, sounds like we'll be fine then! x

Isn't there the Pizza Express just on the corner at the bottom end of Union Street? Just kind of opposite Michie's the Chemist? Or would you call it top end? Near Chapel Street.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

The Lurker

There certainly is . . .

Good-oh! Just wanted to check it was still there
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

TelevatorOperator

Quote pusskins View Post
    Isn't there the Pizza Express just on the corner at the bottom end of Union Street? Just kind of opposite Michie's the Chemist? Or would you call it top end? Near Chapel Street.
    Yeah, I seem to recall them recently opening one on Belmont Street too.

cobweb

he-he, lots of Aberdeen food info!

i might see if i can get down to the big Tesco, too, last time i was there a health food shop was opening inside the Tesco. I want some vegi deli sausages!.

TelevatorOperator

Quote cobweb View Post
    he-he, lots of Aberdeen food info!

i might see if i can get down to the big Tesco, too, last time i was there a health food shop was opening inside the Tesco. I want some vegi deli sausages!.

Or, you could try the Grampian Health Foods shop on Market Street, they have a huge Vegi Deli range plus loads of other tasty treats. The people working there really know their stuff too.
    Much nicer than shopping at Tesco!!

The Lurker

There is a health food shop in the tesco danestone but it is a bit hit and miss in the deli section - they seem to just get random stuff in and its never the same each time you go. Not a lot of stock either.

Worth a look though - also theres a holland and barret in the trinity centre and health food shops on holburn street and market street.

cobweb

Danestone, that's the name i couldn't remember!
    I thought it would be good to combine Tesco (cheap clothes etc) with health food shopping.
    Ah yes, been the H&B before in the Trinity Centre, no doubt will return!.
    Our hotel say they can do a vegan brekkie for us, too.

I prefer the big Asda at Garthdee - having said that I've only been to the Tesco at Danestone once and they didn't have a health food shop then, so could well be worth a look. According to the website (I cheated and asked for a home delivery to Garthdee), Asda stock the pure cheese slices.

It turns out I'm going to Aberdeen next week (just heard I got the job I was in for, and need office clothes as we get a uniform where I work now) so all this info is very useful - thanks!

cobweb

he-he, glad it helped you, too, Trow (and don't forget to give me that wave as you travel past!)
    what film are they showing on the ferry next week?

I'm not sure - at the moment on the website it says their current movies are Monsters V Aliens, Race to Witch Mountain, XMEN Origins-Wolverine, Star Trek and Slumdog Millionaire, so a good choice (Monsters V Aliens is awesome, and I would like to see Slumdog)

I'm flying though - perk of my current job that I'll miss when I leave...

In case you need the link cobweb, you find the info here: http://www.northlinkferries.co.uk/cinema.html

cobweb

ta, Trow, i have my trip booked for end of July now.
    My son has vouchers for himself and me so we sail and use megabus free.
    I'm hoping to see Star Trek this weekend at the Picky.

Default Vegan Aberdeen

Hi there - Just wondering if anyone can recommend places to eat in Aberdeen? I haven't made much progress in terms of finding any vegan friendly places to eat in Aberdeen on the internet and I'm up there for a weekend this month.... any suggestions are very welcome indeed
    Last edited by Korn; May 3rd, 2010 at 12:45 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

cobweb

Default Re: Vegan Aberdeen

^ to be honest i just settled for buying ready to eat sausages from the health food shop, a load of fruit from Asda, and a bag of chips from the nearest chipper. That was fine for a few days, how long will you be there?.

I'm glad to say i won't ever be going to Aberdeen again though.

Hi Cobweb

Thanks. There are 2 health food stores there and plenty of chippers so I'm sure I'll be fine. Only there for 4 days so I'm sure I'll get by!

cobweb

i liked the health food shop down near the harbour end of town - Market Street i think?.

I'll be stocking up on tofu treats by the looks of it....I lived in Aberdeen years ago and the health food shop on Holburn st is still there

Hi there, I'm a relatively new Vegan. I was wondering if anybody had had much success in finding somewhere nice to go in the evenings for dinner? The Moon Fish sounds tempting but alas I'm a student and can't quite afford that much! Thanks for any help

Hey! I am also a vegan student from Aberdeen! Yey! Although, I have been studying in Glasgow for 4 years. Will be moving back to Aberdeen in May I have only recently become vegan so don't know too much about restaurants around Aberdeen. I know Kilau does stuff for during the day. If anyone else has any advice would be great to hear it!

Kat

Hi Kat,

I've been asking around a bit and apparently evening wise for food the Foyer restaurant and Musa are accommodating, also if you fancy a curry the Blue Moon on Holborn Street is meant to be nice. There is now a vegan cafe (Tropical Gateway) in the indoor market, but it's only open 9-5.30 Monday - Friday. Glasgow is definitely a good place to be Vegan! Went to Heavenly the other week, very tasty

The Lurker

Off the top of my head:

Union square - pizza hut (cheeseless pizza); Giraffe (has a few things, quite nice); Wagamama (rice noodles etc); Yo Sushi (apparently, but the thought grosses me out); Not sure about the other places although Ask has nothing at all...The Gurkha restaurant outside was good last time I was there

Union Street area - Blue Mountain Cafe on Belmont Street has options; Pizza Express; Littlejohns is ok

Beach - Pizza hut, Frankie & Bennys and TGIs all have options; Sanddollar Cafe

Other than that I stick to Chinese restaurants, baked potato & beans and carry salad dressing around in pure desperation

Have you joined Vegan Edinburgh + Glasgow yet? We've got a few people from Aberdeen in the group who should be able to answer your questions. Oh, and Heavenly is now closed in Glasgow http://www.facebook.com/groups/106588816094435/