Thread: I need a list of food I can eat and can't eat by tonight. Any help please?

Exclamation I need a list of food I can eat and can't eat by tonight. Any help please?

Okay so, I'm going to this Christian program for 7 days and I'll be working on houses and stuff like that. Since I'm vegan, we've been trying to figure out how I'm going to eat well there. So, they've said that they've had vegans there before so it's not like a shock or whatever..
    Anyway, they want me to make like a food list of what I can eat and some definite NOs that I can't eat. They want to know how strict I am too, and I'm pretty strict but I think I'll loosen up a little for the trip on some things like sugar maybe.

I'm still learning about good vegan food so I really need some help here please. Even though I've been vegan for a while now.
    So if anyone could help list some things then that would be great.
    I need the list done and printed by today at around 6 so I can bring it to my church. Sorry to be such a bother but I would really love some help please. Also, I'm REALLY sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. I know how annoying that can be. So please forgive me, I tried.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

Badcheque

Default Re: I need a list of food I can eat and can't eat by tonight. Any help please?

http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/eat.html

This might be useful for you?

Default Re: I need a list of food I can eat and can't eat by tonight. Any help please?

Well, the list of things you Can't eat is pretty easy. Nothing with animal ingredients.
    -No milk products (which includes butter, yogurt, ice cream, etc. Be careful to watch out for whey hidden in things)
    -No eggs (which probably means you won't be eating many baked items- especially sweet things like cakes and cookies)
    -No meat (self explanatory, but be sure to remind them that this includes things like gelatin, lard and beef or chicken broths- which can be snuck into things like rice or even veggies sometimes)
    -No honey (you'll probably have the hardest time with this one. Most people don't think of honey as an animal product, but it's often snuck into breads- especially wheat breads)
    -If you can, avoid processed and refined sugars and food in general. It's not only bad for you but often times the ingredients get their colors and "natural flavors" from animal products.

Now for the things you CAN eat: every other type of food on the planet that didn't contribute to an animals' exploitation and suffering. If the people who will be providing you food are stumped as to what plant protein sources they can use, any beans, whole grains, legumes, nuts and soy products are protein powerhouses. Simple things they can prepare for you include:
    -Spaghetti with marinara sauce- preferably with a whole wheat pasta so you can have your grains AND the added benefit of more protein and carbs for energy
    -Veggie sandwiches- veggies can be grilled or sauteed in olive oil and served on whole wheat bread and if they have any type of soy substitutes or tempeh available, even better
    -Cereal with soy milk
    -Burritos (make sure they check the ingredients of the beans to make sure there's no lard and the tortillas to make sure there's no milk or honey. I've often found these ingredients in my tortillas. Frustrating...)
    -Any kind of soups made with veggie broth instead of a meat based broth with lots of veggies and beans or legumes such as lentils or split peas
    -Any kind of fruit, veggies or nuts to grab on the go

Do some research and search this forum and you'll get lots of other ideas for easy things to cook while you're there.

I hope this helps.
    -

Good list from saidsirius. They may need reminding that fish is meat too!

In terms of what you can eat, I'd always suggest cooking from raw ingredients - like vegetables and grains (rice, bulghar wheat, cous cous, quinoa..) rather than anything processed. That way, you both know exactly what has gone into your dinner, without being caught out by additives. It's often easier to specify what you can eat that what you can't.

Most places seem to be able to do something like pasta with mushrooms, onions and garlic (and maybe spinach) in olive oil, without needing to use any suspicious ingredients. Of course, pasta can contain egg. It seems that fresh pasta invariably does, but penne usually seems to be egg free

Roast vegetables are pretty safe too. Add potatoes for a different carbohydrate.

In the UK, I could name specific products, but I guess that's not going to be any good to you...

Thanks for the help, both of you. I really appreciate it. I'm sort of a junk food vegan I guess which is why I need help but I'm trying to eat better. After all, that's one of the best things about being vegan, that you get to eat delicious HEALTHY food.
    Thanks again.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden