Thread: Name for website

Default Name for website

Anyone any good at thinking of names for a website!?

I'm thinking of starting a vegan/veggie/cruelty-free based website but can't think of a name I really love. All the ones I think of that I think would be perfect are gone already. I've thought of things like nowhey.com, nowheyjose.com, fakebacon.com, starswithhearts.com (I have a section in my rock mag called that) and others and they've all been taken. Anyone good at thinking of snappy, catchy website names!? Post some suggestions!

Default Re: Name for website

nomoremeat.com, meatfreefun.com, carrotandcabbage.com, plantlife.com, bananabananabanana.com, soyalove.com.

what's the purpose of the site?

sunshineandsunflowers.com

youbetternotbeeatingmeat.com

ghandisanimals.com
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

Shari - IMO, it's pretty hit and miss using a pun for a website name, and lots just sound really corny and a bit amateurish. On the other hand, you have a very cool name, and people know you from the Vegan Soc magazine. Why not use your name (dot com) as your website?

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I'd want to use my own name for a website (well, I have shariblackvelvet.com but it's more my own personal site). I've actually registered a name now - although some of you probably won't like it. I thought it was good at the time - although I'm sure there are much better names...

It's going to be called:

SaveAScream.com

Based on the idea that I'd like people reading the site to be inspired to save a scream - ie the scream being that from an animal that may be killed for food or its skin, or tortured and abused in a laboratory.

I'm working on the site now. Hoping to have it online before the end of the month. It will feature interviews with all sorts of people - veggie and vegan musicians, owners of vegan or cruelty free companies, vegans who have done something cool - ie. maybe you're a vegan model or vegan photographer, vegan author or started a campaigns group. I'd like to feature all sorts of cool people. There will also be a reviews/recommended page where I feature products that are cruelty free/vegan. If you make anything that you'd like to be reviewed/recommended get in touch - whether it be vegan chocolate, soap or anything else.

I'm trying not to make the site too heavily focused on activism in the sense of being offputting to meat eaters or people who aren't into animal rights - because I want to actually try and inspire them and have everyone come to the site whether they eat meat or not, and have a read. The interviews for example won't be JUST about the vegan stuff someone has done but will include other interesting things. I'll be asking a veggie member about his music and band - not just about when he became veggie.

If you know anyone who might be interested in being featured have them contact me. They can email editor@saveascream.com or my usual email address editor@blackvelvetmagazine.com

Oh, I started a Twitter page for it too, so if you're on Twitter follow www.twitter.com/saveascream and I'll follow you back!

Aaaannd... if anyone's interested in being a contributor and writing things, doing interviews that would be cool - at the mo I'm not sure how I'm gonna manage SaveAScream.com with Black Velvet and my two dayjobs! If anyone is into writing email me. Send me samples of your work or let me know what you've done. If you've never interviewed anyone, send a few sample questions of what you might ask someone if you were interviewing someone (I'm obviously a bit picky about who will contribute to the site as I have high standards).

*live*&*let*live

I agree with Ruby. I think it is best in this field to have something that people are likely to search for. LP's suggestion youbetternotbeeatingmeat.com was funny! but I don't think appropriate as it comes across as judgemental. Although knowing LP as we do he was probably being tongue in cheek!
    The name you have is great, probably won't be the first thing you look for on the internet if you are veg curious but once you get the word out and knowledgeable about your site then it will be unique and individual!
    Have you thought about linking to other relevant sites to get the word out?
    I would link you to mine, if you want, although its not a relevant site but all publicity is a good thing. With the name it may get people curious enough to click on it! Let me know! GOOD LUCK! :smile:

ShariBlackVelvet ~ SaveAScream.com - I like that. I've added you on Twitter too
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    I agree with Ruby. I think it is best in this field to have something that people are likely to search for. LP's suggestion youbetternotbeeatingmeat.com was funny! but I don't think appropriate as it comes across as judgemental. Although knowing LP as we do he was probably being tongue in cheek!
    The name you have is great, probably won't be the first thing you look for on the internet if you are veg curious but once you get the word out and knowledgeable about your site then it will be unique and individual!
    Have you thought about linking to other relevant sites to get the word out?
    I would link you to mine, if you want, although its not a relevant site but all publicity is a good thing. With the name it may get people curious enough to click on it! Let me know! GOOD LUCK! :smile:
    Thanks. What's the link to your site? I'll check it out.

Thanks for the Twitter add Kate.

I've been thinking (because of what Ruby said) - and I've decided I think to have something at the top, like where 'SAVE A SCREAM' saying something like 'A Black Velvet Magazine Production' or 'Black Velvet Magazine Presents...' - then that way people know it's me and related to Black Velvet. I was thinking that if more people started knowing the site than knew Black Velvet I'd probably be bummed out because I do class Black Velvet as my 'baby' (or puppy, lol). I'd want to be known as 'Shari from Black Velvet' more than Shari from Save A Scream - even though Save A Scream hopefully does more to inspire people or make a difference. So maybe if I put something about Black Velvet in smaller letters after or before the logo at the top that'll help people know.

I've got 4 interviews done for the site so far. Just been working on questions for another this evening. Waiting to see if someone can help with the logo. I've got an idea but am crap at drawing - so waiting to see if this person I know can do what I want! I'm quite excited about the site and looking forward to getting it online.

Just followed you on Twitter, but I'm known as Tradescant over there.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I would love to write something - if you want to give me some ideas of what you'd like to see (even via PM) I'll put something together and you can see what you think.

*live*&*let*live

I've pm'd u with the link!

The site's online now. Yay. www.SaveAScream.com

I've tried not to be too heavy on the vegan/veggie slant in the interviews - keeping just a few to the end of the musician interviews - so meat eaters can have a read and might be interested (maybe even inspired?) rather than being scared off.

Fiamma - email me if you're interested in writing anything via the email address on the site.

If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to send them. I'd like to get more features such as event reports, if there any suitable events worth writing about. I've got more interviews to do - and I'm being fairly picky about what is recommended at the mo. It'd be easy to recommend everything all in one go, but I'm just gonna do a few things at a time. If anyone makes any vegan products themselves contact me if you're interested in being possibly recommended and I'll see what it is...

The site looks fabulous, Shari - I really like it

That site's looking good!
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Thank you.

Could do with some features though. Anyone any good at writing? Can you think of any articles we should have? If anyone has an idea for one they want to write, let me know. If you go to a vegan/AR event and think you could write a report, or if you have an idea just for a written piece you think you could write, I'd be interested in putting it on there.