Thread: BBQ Tofu?

Windfall

Default BBQ Tofu?

Has anyone ever tried BBQ-ing tofu with a good result?

Default Re: BBQ Tofu?

Absolutely.

Works best with smoked tofu cut into reasonably sized chucks, skewered with various veg (peppers, onion, mushroom etc) and marinated first. Ideally the veg should be slightly bigger in diameter than the tofu, as it tends to stick and break if it touches the grill directly.

Sainsburys' BBQ & Ale Marinade is particularly good, but you can use a mixture of sunflower oil, soy sauce/tamari and dried herbs instead. The oil helps with the flames
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

*live*&*let*live

YUMMMMM mental note to get out bbq at weekend!

Windfall

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    YUMMMMM mental note to get out bbq at weekend!
    My thoughts exacly!

Cheers Mr Flibble!!

QUESTION:

I want to barbeque some tofu this week. But the barbeque here is the family's and covered with meat grease and such. So when I barbeque something, I put a layer of thin foil underneath first. I only do vegetables, though. Will my tofu cook this way too? I kind of want grill marks on my tofu though. :/
    Peace, love, and happiness.

*live*&*let*live

Hi Tigerlily, I don't know if it will cook this way, as I have never done it before. Mr Flibble may know. As for the bbq look! it would have to be done on the actual grill. U may have to invest in your own little one! My mum had one built in her garden and actually had a seperate grill added for me higher up!! I couldn't believe it! Enjoy your day

Ah MF says in his post that if it touches the grill it sticks and breaks!
    Last edited by *live*&*let*live; Jun 20th, 2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: addition

You totally want your own BBQ. Though as I said you don't want the tofu to touch the grill you do want it exposed to flames and as close to as possible.

There's a terrible, terrible vegan BBQ book available by Linda Majzlik (link) which is a prime example of why you should always judge a book by its cover. All the recipes use a tray on top of the grill, which essentially just means you're using the BBQ as an oven not a grill, and thus loosing out on the flavours you get from flame cooking.

I used to use disposible BBQs (foil tray filled with charcoal and a wire mesh on top - they cost a couple of quid in the UK) when I was younger, which are still useful if you get invited to a BBQ at someone's house.

They're probably not so great for the environment however, so investing in a cheap re-useable BBQ is well worth it.

If you go for a gas one then consider throwing away the 'coals' it comes with or adding some better quality lava rock to them. The last gas BBQ I got had no where near enough coals on it. You can also get boxes of wood chippings that you soak in water first then add to the coals once it's heated. It makes lots of great smelling smoke and gives a better 'BBQ taste'.

You can of course just cheat if you want grill marks - a lot of people do. Heat up a metal skewer as hot as you can get then place it on top towards the end of cooking to get lines.

I suppose you need to boil the Tofu first to make it firmer? Otherwise it would fall apart?

boiling tofu?

You just need to use firm tofu (clearspot, cauldron etc), not silken.

Hi Mr Flibble
    Have you tried BBQ Tofu yet? Do you use packed longlife FIRM tofu or fresh tofu? Big difference in taste when stir fried. Not sure which one would come out better when bbqed.

I have indeed been bbq'ing tofu for a number of years. I use fresh, drained, firm tofu.

What appears to be your blog (http://www.soyadirect.blogspot.com/) seems to have none vegan recipes on it. Appologies if I'm incorrect.

Freezing and thawing after cubing and skewering works too.

The way skewered meat is done here ( and SE Asia) is to either (1) fan the skewers by foil wrapping several ends together and fixing them into place at a rising angle not actually touching the brazier or (2) lining up the skewers on a rack where only ends touch.

Another option is a fish grill device sandwiching the skewers

Having grill or pan HOT and slicking tofu in oil should keep tofu unstuck (with luck).
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Last night, I grilled tofu, mushrooms, and green onions. It was fantasic.
    What I did was used a spicy marinade for all the veggies, and soaked the skewers in hot water for about 5 minutes I cut my extra firm tofu into about one inch squares, and halved the mushrooms. I grilled them for about 5 minutes and brushed the marinade each time I turned it. It was flavorful, and for me, it's become a fast favorite.
    Since I am new to being Vegan, I've had to be more creative in how I cook. I love how food tastes on the grill, and have had wonderful luck with grilling thinly sliced egg plant, tofu, and portabella mushrooms. I've also grilled Amy's Veggie burgers, and again, I wasn't disappointed.
    Tofu is such a universal food. I am always amazed at how many different ways it can be used, and still taste great. I say, use your imagination when you cook.
    Pineapple, and Tofu with a nice sweet and sour glaze, or fry up some veggie bacon, grill some pineapple, and a veggie burger...have a nice sammich.
    I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

Warm Regards, and Best of Luck
    Serenity