Thread: Dealing with Loose Skin: Let's all lend a hand

Default Dealing with Loose Skin: Let's all lend a hand

I suffer from a bit of loose skin left over after loosing 80 pounds. I'm sure there are a few here who do too. I don't really have the money for surgery and I want to use that as my last resort. I want to try and find a way to nip this problem without surgery.

So far my plan is to attack the problem 4 ways. Build more muscle and mass to make the loose skin appear less noticeable, improve diet by consuming foods that either increase collagen, doing stuff to my skin from the outside and the inside.

So far for diet these foods I've looked into as being good for helping tighten skin.

Soymilk, Spinach, tomatoes, Red Peppers, Blueberries, Cashews, Pecans, Almonds, Avocados, Garlic, Watermelon, Broccoli, Bananas, Carrots, Water, Tofu, Strawberries and organges. Still working on this part.

As for what to do to my adbominals from the outside, all I've got so far is exfoliation and using some sort of lotion.

As for working out, I haven't worked out the schedule yet, but I'd be working out a lot. I plan to work my freaking ass off.

Now, here's where I need your help. I'm stil researching and looking for different variations and methods to tighten loose skin without surgery. And when I have all my informaton I plan to compile it all and start a super bulk & tighten skin diet. What are a few ways that you know of to tighten loose skin? I'm also looking for good Vegan products such as lotions and toners that I can apply to my stomach and help burn/tone/tighten that damn loose skin away.

Default Re: Dealing with Loose Skin: Let's all lend a hand

I have the same problem, isn't it awful? After all that work losing weight and still not being comfortable showing your body. My stomach sags a lot is I'm in a plank position and I have lots of stretch marks.
    I think time does help, or maybe I just think about less now, I'm not sure. I used to do ridiculous amounts of ab work but I didn't feel like it helped. I don't put on muscle easily though. I used a lotion by "Kiss my Face" called something like "tighten up". The smell is unbelievable but I don't know if it really tightened anything. I used to really obsess about it but I came to realize there doesn't seem to be any really good solutions.
    Please keep us all posted on what you find out. Even though it doesn't bother me much anymore I'd still do something about it if I thought it would work.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

cobweb

i love the title of this thread

congratulations on your weight loss, that's fantastic

i am trying to lose weight and feel concerned about this issue, too, so i hope that someone comes up with some ideas!

I have a bit of loose skin on my stomach, it's not bad, but bad enough. I was hoping I wouldn't suffer this because I only lost 42 lbs, so I only lost half the weight you lost. I am also pretty young, so in theory my skin should be very complient in taking new shapes. I might say that it is fat I have, but according to BMI I am slightly underweight, so I don't think it's that, but you never know.

Apparently running helps...Never had te desire to try it lol.

I think your best bet is to try and get a bit of muscle there. I have also heard that while sit ups are pretty useless, things like 'the plank' and 'bycycle crunches' are good.

You will find better answers here though:

www.livestrong.com

I think I came up with a new way to deal with the issue( On top of the other things I thought of ). Anyone ever used one of those abdominal straps? what if I strapped one on me and went all day and all night wearing it( Only removing when I shower ). Would that help. Logically speaking( According to my understandings of logic ) if you were to strap loose skin down tight long enough, while eating a diet high in foods good for skin elasticity, while using a skin toning lotion to firm up skin, while doing copious amounts of exercise and muscle building, while taking a multi-vitamin formulated to helping loose skin adapt, naturally you should be able to acheive the impossible.

Well, that's my understanding at least.

I hear a lot of factors render into how fast skin adapts. Age, how long you were fat, how fast you lost it.

I was fat mostly through High School. Towards the end of Juniour High I weighed 120 and by Juniour year of high school I weighed 220. Then went Vegan around Febuary 2006 and lost 80 pounds in probably 9 months to a year. Though it seemed almost overnight as I wasn't really paying much attention. I am currently 24 and about to turn 25 in August.

What do you all think?

I really admire you guys for bringing up this difficult subject. One I have been unable to talk to anyone about for 26 years
    I had the same problem after my pregnancy when I was 21when I put on a lot of weight and was left with an ugly wrinkled stomach that left me ashamed for anyone to see for years. I eventually got over my fear of it by becoming a naturist and seeing people much worse off that me.
    I still can't look in a changing room mirror when I am trying on clothes though and have to avert my eyes.
    Exercise does not do anything so I have decided that at some point I will have surgery.
    Silent but deadly :p

It's too late now but the best way to prevent loose skin is by doing weight lifting and toning WHILE you are losing weight. Not after.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    It's too late now but the best way to prevent loose skin is by doing weight lifting and toning WHILE you are losing weight. Not after.
    Thank's TigerLily, I'll keep that in mind. I'm already starting to drop a few pounds.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

If the elasticity in the skin has gone then sadly no amount of exercise will ever fix that. My friend dropped a lot of weight and she had a tummy tuck and breast uplift at the end of it. I know for many that financially that isn't an option but the change in her confidence following the op was amazing and she looks absolutely fantastic.
    You have done sooo well in losing so much weight so well done you - I bet you feel like a million dollars

I also wasn't trying to be snarky with my above comment about having to tone while losing weight. I understand what it is like. My stomach is still soft even though I lost weight. But I want to lose more weight, as I'm still overweight, and I want to become atheletic.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

cobweb

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

^ this person seems to think it's no problemo!