Thread: London jaunt - advice, please?

Default London jaunt - advice, please?

DH and I are fancying a wee jaunt to London this summer. We think we'll stay somewhere really cheap (by London standards) and eat out at vegan places. I've got the Happy cow list.
    What I'd like to ask is, are there any parts where the houses are small and interesting: brightly painted; interesting window boxes, that kind of thing? (Like our place, really. We like to look at similar houses rather than grand mansions... ) We're not very brave, though, so no-where we're likely to get mugged...
    We're thinking of going to Portobello Market, too. We like finding interesting (and sort of hippyish, dare I say?) things for the house...
    Can anyone point us in some interesting directions? We'd only be there about 2 days...

Default Re: London jaunt - advice, please?

I think you might like Greenwich, Penny. It has its own identity, some lovely markets, some interesting houses, the Royal Observatory... and you can walk underneath the Thames using the Victorian foot tunnel.

Buddha Belly

Some of the back alley Mews in Mayfair have some interesting older houses in. You may be disapointed in the prices around Portobello market. The whole area from Marylebone High St has some good shops and houses in.

Do you know when you are going? As you can meet a few of the London VFers whilst there for an evening drink/ meal.

Penny, I'd suggest you try going just north of the Portobello Rd stretch to the Golborne Rd end of the market, which stands in the shadow of the infamous Trellick Tower. Best to visit on a Friday when the market's in full swing and the street's are lined with interesting old bric-a-brac and vintage clothing stores - during the week it tends to be dominated by fruit and veg stores (you can also go on a Saturday, if you can brave the crowds - it's much busier than a Friday). I'd recommend trying out the Moroccan Tagine for a cheap eat.

Alistair Sawday's website lists some good, homely places to stay that hopefully won't break the bank http://www.sawdays.co.uk/
    when everything changes...change everything

Those are all great suggestions! Thanks, folks!

BB, meeting fellow VFers sounds great, but I don't think we'll be doing much in the evenings. At my age (creaks, slightly), a lot of walking during the day means I have to lie around in the evening - particularly if I'm going to spend the next day walking around, too. Maybe another time, when we can come for more than two days? :smile: