Thread: what's the difference?

Default what's the difference?

can someone explain to me what is the difference between wheat free and gluten free? i thought if you were gluten free then that means that you are also wheat free as wheat contains gluten does it not? so i'm just confused as to why some ppl say that they class themselves as gluten free and wheat free...why not just say gluten free??

or have i misunderstood. personally i just don't eat wheat.

Default Re: what's the difference?

Gluten-free means avoiding all sources of gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye, contaminated oats, plus many packaged foods containing gluten as an ingredient. Anyone following a gluten-free diet is by default wheat-free also.

A wheat-free diet is simply avoiding wheat. People who eat wheat-free will consume barley, rye, oats, etc. They are not gluten-free because they eat other sources of gluten.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: what's the difference?

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Gluten-free means avoiding all sources of gluten, such as wheat, barley, rye, contaminated oats, plus many packaged foods containing gluten as an ingredient. Anyone following a gluten-free diet is by default wheat-free also.

A wheat-free diet is simply avoiding wheat. People who eat wheat-free will consume barley, rye, oats, etc. They are not gluten-free because they eat other sources of gluten.

yes thanks for the info, that's what I thought. I've just some people saying that they're gluten-free & wheat-free..I wondered why they needed to say both.