Thread: What newspaper do you read?

puca

Default What newspaper do you read?

And which papers do you loath?

Any other stuff?

cobweb

Default Re: What Newspaper do you read?

I read The Daily Star of Scotland most days .

I also read the local 'papers, The Orcadian, and Orkney News.

I loathe broadsheets and The Daily Mail and Express newspapers.

I quite often read tacky celeb magazines too like 'New' and 'Star' because i'm fascinated by certain people who have loads of money and no taste/sense/intelligence .

helen105281

Last edited by helen105281; Jun 18th, 2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Buddha belly not realising Helen logged in

Chewbacca

I read the Times at home. And I read the Sun at work!

Buddha Belly

I buy the Guardian and Morning Star at weekends. I read online; Cambridge Evening News, Stevenage Comet, Beds On Sunday

I don't read a physical paper, I use googles news service to find articles I'm interested in, then pick the most reliable news source of the ones on offer for that story.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Well here in the US, I really like the LA Times. Our sad excuse for a paper here in my hometown is completely biased and....ugh, just plain ridiculous.

I look at the Scotsman, (Glasgow) Herald, Guardian, Independent, local Evening News. Will go to the Times and Telegraph websites for specific stories. Avoid like the plague the Mail, Express, Sun etc. unless I want to raise my blood pressure, and feel totally alienated.

Internationally, I have looked the NY times and LA times websites and the Irish Times.

I occasionally have to not look at papers and websites for a couple of days to recover some sense of optimism in the world and in people.

I generally read the guardian but I'm one of those people who'd read the back of a shampoo bottle, seriously I'll read anything! One of my best friends since childhood works for the daily mail (or the daily fail as we call it, when he's hungover he calls it the daily jail!), and I swear he's a really nice person! He's politically sound and is not a right wing lunatic like its readership. He reckons most people there hate the politics of the paper and view it strictly as a job that migh lead to a position on a real newspaper.
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Default Re: What newspaper do you read?

I really, really, really do not like newspapers.

The only one I'd remotely trust is Schnews.

As I once said to a friend, "A musician who reads The Sun? Isn't that an oxymoron?"
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I generally read the Grauniad and Observer, and also sneak a look at the OH's Indie. Pet hate: the Mail, grrrrrrr.

ETA I don't trust'em, I just read'em.

Quote Barry O Connor View Post
    I generally read the guardian but I'm one of those people who'd read the back of a shampoo bottle, seriously I'll read anything! One of my best friends since childhood works for the daily mail (or the daily fail as we call it, when he's hungover he calls it the daily jail!), and I swear he's a really nice person! He's politically sound and is not a right wing lunatic like its readership. He reckons most people there hate the politics of the paper and view it strictly as a job that migh lead to a position on a real newspaper.
    I find that 'ethical cop out' quite sad really, and frustrating that folk actually know what they are doing isn't right but continue to do it.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I agree but even in 'real' newspapers, they'd have to toe the line.

There really is little unbiased mainstream journalism.

On-line, I find Al-Jazeera and The Asia Times tell me more truth about the world than any Murdoch-type rag.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

i don't read newspapers and haven't done so for years. they're all horribly biased and none of them appeal to me.

If people want to have some fun, vote in the "worst Daily Mail poll ever. VOTE YES to skew the results and pass it on! http://bit.ly/w4b6Q " via Twitter.

I'm sure there are plenty nice people working for the tabloids but I wonder at the desire to be in a field at the expense of morals or responsibility?

If I'm going to London I tend to get an Independent or Guardian to read on the train. I read Private Eye regularly too.

I get all het up just thinking about The Daily Heil.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I find that 'ethical cop out' quite sad really, and frustrating that folk actually know what they are doing isn't right but continue to do it.
    True, I agree with you, but I also understand that when you're fresh out of college with mounting debts and no job after 5 years training sometimes you can't afford the luxury of being picky. This is particularly true in Ireland at the moment where you literally can't get a job ANYWHERE. A burger king opened up in my city about two months ago (Boo!) and there were 500 applications sent in! Most of them were from graduates, some even from from former lawyers! Things are pretty bad here at the moment so try not to be too judgemental. Sorry for getting so off topic.

Sloth

Quote Barry O Connor View Post
    A burger king opened up in my city about two months ago (Boo!) and there were 500 applications sent in! Most of them were from graduates, some even from from former lawyers!
    Where I live, the local transport company were recruiting a bus driver, and apparently they received applications from PhD graduates. I really don't stand a chance of getting a job anytime soon...
    (sorry for continuing off topic)

I often buy the Morning Star because it carries some interesting commentary from the left, with guest writers like John Pilger. I don't always agree with the politics of the paper, but because it's up front and honest about it political persuasion I don't feel like I'm being conned. We should be more worried about the bias in media that claims to be neutral (the influence of sponsors like advertisers, for example).

I sometimes buy other papers like the Guardian and Independent for specific writers (i.e. Polly Toynby and Robert Fisk).

Really enjoy reading the analysis of medialens.org and recommend it highly to all here.

Prawnil

(
    Quote AnneCE View Post
    If people want to have some fun, vote in the "worst Daily Mail poll ever. VOTE YES to skew the results and pass it on! http://bit.ly/w4b6Q " via Twitter.
    Which one is that? I'm not on twitter but I want to have a go!)

It looks like it might have gone from the Daily Fail website now, but it was "Should the NHS allow gipsies to jump the queue?" or something similar.

pavotrouge

I'm not reading newspapers or listen to news. What I want to know, the internet tells me. 95% of the news is depressing stuff I can't change anyway and that has not impact on my life...

'The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.'
    (Thomas Jefferson)

i just bought a saturday guardian..which is quite treaty..i''ll splay it all over the floor and make it last all week
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

I tend to read online. I have Guardian and Reuters on my bookmarks at work. Guardian have a wildlife pics of the week thing, that I like to look at on a Friday afternoon when work slows down
    My dad buys The Telegraph during the football season, so I read that sometimes.
    I like football. And potatoes.

We get the Sun on a saturday, because you get a TV guide with it. Other than that, we don't tend to get papers. My grandparents give us their papers when they've read them, so we're a few weeks behind

You get tv guides with lots of papers...

Quote Sloth View Post
    Where I live, the local transport company were recruiting a bus driver, and apparently they received applications from PhD graduates. I really don't stand a chance of getting a job anytime soon...
    (sorry for continuing off topic)
    Actually, I'd love to be a bus driver!

But yes, despite having absolutely tons of fast food places in our county town, another burger joint (the dreaded M) opened up recently with around 500 applicants and no advertising except a sign on the new building.

I was glancing over some survey or other recently (why didn't I save the link? ) which showed a correlation between obesity and proximity to burger joints. Surprising, eh?

Quote AnneCE View Post
    You get tv guides with lots of papers...
    ay, but this one is most like the ones you'd buy seperatly, and it's cheaper than other papers.

I'm always a bit sceptical of the 500 PhDs applying for 1 cleaning job - I think employers like the publicity and papers love to dramatise stuff. Not saying it doesn't happen but...

ETA maybe I could do PhD researching how many PhDs go for such jobs, why, etc?

I read the OC Register mostly, or the LA Times, but I never really take any story to heart because you never know which angle they're using or what really happened. I just take the indisputable facts and leave it at that.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Private Eye and Viz are the only newspapers I ever buy.
    I also get to read the free Metro at work.

Yes, I know Viz isn't a newspaper, but it contains more accurate, factual reporting than the Sun, Star or Sport.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

Quote Big Good Wolf View Post
    Yes, I know Viz isn't a newspaper, but it contains more accurate, factual reporting than the Sun, Star or Sport.
    And that's a fact.

About tv news, Charlie Brooker's Newswipe (BBC 4) is an education on what makes the news, how things are spun etc. etc. It's on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3WoEnwv_Jw

Is this a social class test?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Ha, I was wondering that too

I like the Daily Sport now that's classy!
    I like football. And potatoes.

I'm always a bit sceptical of the 500 PhDs applying for 1 cleaning job - I think employers like the publicity and papers love to dramatise stuff. Not saying it doesn't happen but...
    It does sound a bit fanciful doesn't it? In this this case however I'm pretty sure it's true cause I know someone who got one of the jobs. I'd rather spoon out my eyes than work for those fuckers!

I hate the Daily Fail with a passion

Normally I don't buy papers but last Saturday I bought the Independent so that I could sit and hide out in the car park and not be early to friend's wedding and have to endure pre-wedding chit-chat with people I don't like very much
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

whats a newspaper? I get my news from the internet.

Me too! Although, I do read many of the local, free newspapers. Sometimes there's interesting stuff in them.....and they're not all doom and gloom.

i read the guardian website the most. will occasionally buy the inde or the times aswel, theres just no substitute for the times 2 crossword (i often read the front page too...go me!)!