Thread: help!! baby bird fell out of nest

Default help!! baby bird fell out of nest

The birds like to nest in our roof but the chicks always fall out. I caught my dog playing with a little baby bird. I got him off and found the bird was still alive.

I tried to put it back in the nest but it's too far in the roof. I'd only be able to put him in about halfway and it's slanted so he'd fall out.

What do I do?? He looks hurt but I can't tell. He's really young. His eyes haven't opened.

Help!!

Default Re: help!! baby bird fell out of nest

They say you cant touch baby birds without the parents abandoning them, but I don't know how true that is. I doubt it will survive, honestly, if it's so little, especially if it's hurt. The tree in my parent's backyard used to have a nest that babies periodically fell out of, and one of the dogs came prancing up to us one time with little birdy feet hanging out. Another time, we found the bird baby and put it back in the nest, but we found it on the ground again later, so it may have been pushed out of the nest. Nature is brutal...

Yeah...I know. I just have to do what I can even if he won't survive.

So far so good. We're keeping him as warm as we can and feeding him with a syringe. He seems to be doing okay. I don't expect him to make it through the night (it's 10pm-ish here) but I guess I did what I could

(My friend named him Mango, cause he's so sweet. I thought it was nice of her )

100% sure – I'm going vegan! yum's Avatar

I think you should ring an animal hospital/ sancturary or rspca by googling your nearest one.

Hope the chick does okay

yum
    x

I know that sometimes when birds fall from the nest, the parents continue to feed it etc... out of the nest. When I was young we found a baby bird and cared for it for a couple of weeks. When it was looking bigger and had feathers, we put it on the grass where we found it, and the parents came down to it! We hadn't been sure what it was, but it turned out to be a chaffinch. I agree with Yum though, an animal hospital type place would be able to advise.

*live*&*let*live

Hows the little babe doing?

He's doing great. We didn't expect him to make it through the first night but he's perfectly fine now. He's even moving around a bit It's really cool too because my mom and my sister are helping out too. We're all basically doing everything we can to keep him alive. My dad even offered to catch worms for him

@ yum, we got advise from some animal people. They told us how to keep him warm and what to feed him. It's working so far.

@ Cherry, yeah I've heard of that happening. Unfortunately, for the location where I found him, it would have been too dangerous to leave him there. He would have died. (And I read online that that usually only happens with the birds that have feathers--fledglings or something? It's like a way they teach the bird to fly or something.)

Anyway, it's really a miracle he's even alive. Most birds that fall out of the nest die when they fall (it happens a lot). Mango isn't even hurt and he landed on lava rocks. It's amazing.

Keep your fingers crossed for him.

*live*&*let*live

Oh I am SO glad he is doing so much better. Are you going to try and get him back with his family or are they no longer there?

That's awesome, I hope he grows up really well!

The RSPB website says baby birds should be left to their parents care
    Lots of info on what to do here

http://www.wildlifeextra.com/go/news...chicks.html#cr
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I'm copying the relevant info from the above site:

• If you find a fledgling or young bird, the best thing is to leave it where it is. The parents will be nearby and they will look after them so they should not be moved.
    • Don't confuse clumsiness with injury. Most young birds fledge once they are fully feathered, but before they are able to fly, and spend a day or two on the ground before their feather development is complete. They can look very clumsy during this stage.
    • If a fledgling is in a dangerous place it could be moved to shelter in a nearby hedge or tree. Particularly if it's found on a road or where it may be vulnerable to cats.
      Any young birds that are moved must remain within hearing reach of where it was found so its parents can find it.
    • If the young bird is unfeathered or covered in fluffy down and has obviously fallen out of the nest by accident, it may be possible to put it back.
    • If this cannot be done, the chick is dependent on humans for survival, and it should be passed on to experts such as the RSPCA.
    • If you are a cat owner, keep your cat indoors when birds are most vulnerable: at least an hour before sunset and an hour after sunrise, especially during March-July
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

RubyDuby

any updates babyv?
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Sorry everyone! I've been on a sort of hiatus due to health reasons but I'm good now.

Mango is a free and wild bird as of yesterday He grew and has a whole body of feathers. He got really restless and wouldn't take the food we gave him, so we knew it was time to let him go. It was sad but we knew it would be wrong to domesticate him (not to mention illegal).

RubyDuby

that's great!

congrats and good job!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

*live*&*let*live

Ahhh that's great! Maybe he may come back one day to say hi?!

^ I hope so!

Thanks everyone