Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: raw vegan weight loss

Default raw vegan weight loss

Hi, I posted a notice here some time ago about my testimonial raw vegan weight loss site, but I can't find the thread now, so am writing a new post for a new year...
    I overcame morbid obesity by eating a mainly raw vegan diet - I went from an all time high of 21stone, BMI 46, dress size 28, to my current healthy and happy 10stone 3lbs, BMI 22, size 10-12. My life has been completely transformed by adopting this lifestyle and I want to share this story with others who are looking for a way out of the self-destructive patterns of compulsive overeating and obesity.
    You can check out my story at www.rawreform.com and let me know what you think. Today is actually the one-year anniversary of my site going online, so I'm feeling very proud and happy to spread my message - there have been some great recent updates to the page, including a before-and-after photo gallery, so please take a look.
    Thanks and a happy new year to you all,
    Angela.www.rawreform.com

...interesting. I get the feeling that this is more of an advertisement than anything...

hi rawreform, welcome back!

the forum recently lost lots of info and korn is busy reinstating lots of old threads.

i notice that you did not regularly post here - try to spend a bit more time with us interacting and posting, letting us know about you and a bit more about your experiences - we're a friendly bunch you know!

we get a few folk who come on here simply to advertise their sites and then never join in, that does get up a few noses! - they seem just interested to advertise but not interact

looking forward to seeing some interesting posts!

cedar

Hi Angela, your old post is now inside the Weight thread...
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Hi, thanks for your replies guys - and thanks for the advice Cedar - i'll try to be more in touch from now on,
    Cheers, Angela.

PinkFluffyCloud

Hi, Angela, I am currently aiming to go completely raw, do you mind if I PM with questions?

And do stick around to post here, will you?

Dear Pinkfluffycloud - no problem, though it took me a while to work out what 'PM' meant...

PinkFluffyCloud

TeeHee, - see, if you stayed around you would know what a PM is (wags finger at Angela!)...............

PinkFluffyCloud

Actually, maybe it's better for me to post my questions here (unless I think of any really personal ones!), then others who might be interested may benefit?

Right, then:
    Are supplements considered 'Raw' - how are they actually made?
    I have read that tap water is not considered part of a Raw lifestyle, so what is right? I hate buying bottled water due to cost and plastic packaging.
    Are there any particular concerns with correct nutritional balance, especially when you can't always be too sure of the age/source of your food.
    Is it easy to be 'Raw' without all the fancy equipment such as juicers and dehydrators?
    I have little money and wish for a very simple, peaceful life, without whirling, whizzing kitchen equipment!

Will think of more questions, I'm sure!

Default some answers

Well, I don't claim to be an expert about being raw, but here are some answers for you:
    about supplements - a lot of raw foodists are very against taking any supplements, as you should be able to get everything you need from your food. Well, I'd go along with that to a point, but personally, I have a seriously under-functioning thyroid and as I am off all allopathic medicine, I find it essential to supplement daily with sea kelp tablets. I also take acidophilus for stomach problems, some B vitamins sometimes and C if i'm really run down. so, from my point of view, I don't have any issue with supplemeting if I feel I need it. I imagine in America it must be possible to get hold of 'raw' supplements - I just use 'normal' stuff from health food shops.
    Tap water - hmmm...well, I've managed to basically escape that issue as i live in Iceland, but whenever I am in Britain or elsewhere I do find the tap water quality just atrocious - mostly undrinkable - so, I use simple water filters there or resort to bottled water if necessary...
    yes, raw foodists have many varied concerns about nutritional balance - B12 deficiency of course, but also protein issues, lack of vitamin/mineral content in supermarket fruit/veg etc. How concerned you want to be with these kinds of issues is a personal thing - I personally just try to listen to my body and give myself what feels right to eat - I feel it if there's something missing/going wrong.
    equipment concerns: this has been a real issue for me too - until just this christmas, I have spent most of my time as a raw eater without a simple food processor - now we thankfully have one and my partner has also promised to make me a homemade dehydrator from the design we found on the www.sadtoraw.com site, direct link: http://www.k-clements.fsnet.co.uk/dehydrator.html - very excited about that. Until now, have just been drying things out on the radiators. We've also had a simple blender to make nut milk with that we got for about 15quid, so...basically, I haven't had much equipment all this time and have been just fine - it is after all about getting back to basics, back to a natural lifestyle of whole foods - one writer coined the phrase 'combo-abombos' for the often disastrous combinations raw foodists throw together in blenders and processors - so, maybe you're better off without one...
    well, that's enough for now,
    good luck.
    Angela.

PinkFluffyCloud

HeHe, thanks, Angela!
    Annoyingly, I had a very complex do-it-all type food processor a few years ago (to make baby food with), but I threw it out after a year or so, it was so noisy, and so fiddly to get really clean!

I am glad to speak with you, I have asked questions of others in the past but felt that they got a little defensive. Also, I was really puzzled about why they wouldn't drink herbal tea, but would take a supplement such as a multi-vitamin, which can hardly be natural, can it? I do understand more, now, as I have been reading a lot lately. I suppose my biggest two worries are:
    That I will get bored with it - but I am more sure now that I won't, as I have seen the variety of foods available.
    That I don't want to join another 'minority group' - especially one that I occasionally have found a little 'elitist'. However, I suppose I may have had the same reservations about going Vegan at some point.

Right, hand on heart, my other worry is chocolate - but I did look up info on raw Cacao beans, mm, think I will order some!

I couldn't get the 'food and nutrition' bit of your site (good site, btw!), your pics came up again, so excuse me if I ask anything that is already covered there.

hi - thanks so much for the info about the food/nutrition page - we've been fiddling with the site for days and obviously that link got messed up somehow - have fixed it now...
    and don't be too worried about the chocolate situation - raw carob powder mixed in with all kinds of stuff is just brilliant...my saviour...
    angela.

PinkFluffyCloud

Thanks, section sorted!
    I am printing off the whole food section now, to keep in a file.

This week I am finishing off some yummy things I still have left over, like Vegan Mayonnaise, cooked Homous, etc, then I plan to GO FOR IT!! Think I have all the info now! I will still have to cook for my son and husband, but only once a day so it won't be too annoying!

ConsciousCuisine

[QUOTE=PinkFluffyCloud]

I am glad to speak with you, I have asked questions of others in the past but felt that they got a little defensive. Also, I was really puzzled about why they wouldn't drink herbal tea, but would take a supplement such as a multi-vitamin, which can hardly be natural, can it? QUOTE]

Niether multi-vitamin supplements nor teas (unless they are sun-teas or soaked teas) are "raw". "Natural" is another story...I do wonder why anyone would get "defensive"...it must have been because they weren't really "Raw" ???

Thanks for your website info, and congratulations on an great achievement.

I must say it was surprising, though, to read that you eat honey and sometimes tuna. The foods I eat are mostly raw, though as I've not committed to a raw diet, there's not the least bit of guilt for occasionally cooking some sweet potato, and I do have the odd soy food and soy milk, and make my own homas - none of which is raw!
    Eve

hi Eve, thanks for your message - yes, as I say on my website, I'm not at all dogmatic about being raw and actually, I don't eat honey anymore, as I'm basically off all sugars...but my main focus is to eat as much raw as possible and listen to my body for what it needs...

I like your website!
    So what do you consider yourself? For some reason I thought Raw foodists were vegetarian/vegan?
    I eat about 50-75% raw. I have to admit I feel my best when I am raw.
    I still have not made the decision to go 100% raw. I am still reading books, articles, research, etc, about it.
    I have not seen any raw food bodybuilders. I think a concern of mine would be not having enough muscle mass for Figure competition.

PinkFluffyCloud

[QUOTE=ConsciousCuisine]
    Quote PinkFluffyCloud

I am glad to speak with you, I have asked questions of others in the past but felt that they got a little defensive. Also, I was really puzzled about why they wouldn't drink herbal tea, but would take a supplement such as a multi-vitamin, which can hardly be natural, can it? QUOTE]

Niether multi-vitamin supplements nor teas (unless they are sun-teas or soaked teas) are "raw". "Natural" is another story...I do wonder why anyone would get "defensive"...it must have been because they weren't really "Raw" ???
    HeHe, no, I think it's because I ask far too many questions!

On a serious note, I began today, it's been fine but I think I really could do with a mixer, at the very least.
    I feel spiritually 'lighter' having made the decision!
    Wish me luck, and I need all the advice I can get.

CC, what are Cacao beans like, do they taste chocolatey?

Also, I have read somewhere that periods can stop on a Raw diet, or reduce anyway, have you found that to be true? I have been told it is because they are just unnecessary.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote MzNatural
    I like your website!
    So what do you consider yourself? For some reason I thought Raw foodists were vegetarian/vegan?
    I eat about 50-75% raw. I have to admit I feel my best when I am raw.
    I still have not made the decision to go 100% raw. I am still reading books, articles, research, etc, about it.
    I have not seen any raw food bodybuilders. I think a concern of mine would be not having enough muscle mass for Figure competition.
    Isn't Pat Reeves 'Raw'? (I have seen her on Vegan Bodybuilding). I may be wrong, check her out, Mz!
    My main concern was protein, as I seem to feel better when I eat a lot of protein (when I am active, anyway), that's why I have started eating a lot of sprouted food now.

Quote eve
    I must say it was surprising, though, to read that you eat honey and sometimes tuna.
    And then.....

Quote rawreform
    hi Eve, thanks for your message - yes, as I say on my website, I'm not at all dogmatic about being raw and actually, I don't eat honey anymore, as I'm basically off all sugars...but my main focus is to eat as much raw as possible and listen to my body for what it needs...
    So do you still eat fish Angela ?

Hi everyone - thanks for messages - well, in reply to Mz on what I consider myself - I consider myself to just be me - I'm not interested in labels - I believe everyone is different and you just need to listen to your own body's needs and eat what feels right - that's why I've stopped eating honey now for example, but not fish - which is something I actually never ate when growing up, but have come to have a taste for now. Most raw foodists are indeed veggie or vegan I'm sure, but it is not a prerequisite for eating more raw foods to improve your health and lose weight, which is what I went into raw foods for.
    I remember meeting someone last september at the 'Festival of Life' in London who was a very healthy looking raw bodybuilder - think his name was possibly steve and he was from Bristol or somewhere over that way I think - don't have any details for him anymore - but as I recall, he had some videos or books or smthg about how to build muscle on raw... also, isn't that what a lot of Doug Graham's work is about - training athletes etc on raw? just remind yourself about gorillas - almost nothing but raw leaves and enormously powerful and strong...
    and pinkfluffycloud - congratulations and best of luck for your new path. Yes, periods are indeed supposed to eventually get much lighter after a while raw, as it's another detox path for your body...
    cheers,
    Angela.

Quote rawreform
    just remind yourself about gorillas - almost nothing but raw leaves and enormously powerful and strong...
    ha ha, if only!

i'm interested in raw diets but don't feel ready to make the transition to 100% raw just yet. your website is very interesting though Angela.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

PinkFluffyCloud

Thanks, Angela, I am happy to make this decision, but tonight I am feeling a little light headed and a little 'lost', because I had to cook for the others (roast potatoes and veggie-sausages, mmm!). Mind you, my Green Salad with crushed Garlic and Lemon *was* good!.

I have ordered some Cacao Beans from Shazzie's site. I see that Yaoh do some raw sweet bars now, which is nice to know (I have a terrible sweet tooth at certain times of the month - mind you, maybe I won't now???). I am going to try not to buy stuff like that, I would just be swapping to more bad habits, wouldn't I?
    I can justify the Cacao Beans, though, as they are full of goodness, and, kept in 'Bean' form, I reckon I can refrain from becoming addicted!!

More food for thought, though, part of my motivation for going 'Raw' in the first place is the need to live a 'frugal', 'simple', 'natural' life - and my own interpretation of these concepts is to live in a very plain, uncluttered manner, e.g not to rely on electrical gadgets (hmm, maybe the P.C will have to go eventually!), and to eat unmodified foods. I wonder if I would be 'cheating' my own criteria by making Almond milk, etc, in blenders??

Ha! By now anyone reading this will realise that I hate to make things too easy for myself, I like a challenge (as long as it's a positive one!), and I always like to go 'one step further' with everything!

ConsciousCuisine

Cacao Beans make lovely chocolates with coconut oil, dates or agave and almond butter (MMMM!)

I am proud of you, PFC! I am actually transitioning to not be 100% Raw at this time Let me know if you need anything. As always, i'll give ya what I know if ya ask

tails4wagging

Ive looked at the website, and I do need to lose weight drastically as I am over two stone overweight.

I need to lose this by April as I am seeing a medic about breathing difficulties I am having at night and I know he will strongly advise weight loss, so I will have a go at this raw food diet. I must admit I do like raw veg, I nibble raw cabbage before I cook it and have been known to eat raw peas and their shells (home grown so no pesticides).

Any chance Angela on producing a diet sheet so I could follow it (strictly vegan though)?.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Cacao Beans make lovely chocolates with coconut oil, dates or agave and almond butter (MMMM!)

I am proud of you, PFC! I am actually transitioning to not be 100% Raw at this time Let me know if you need anything. As always, i'll give ya what I know if ya ask
    CC, I didn't pick your brains as I haven't seen you around much, thought maybe you were very busy, but I will when I have more questions, thanks.
    Why are you transitioning, if you don't mind me asking, did you find it unsuitable for you, long-term?

Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

Thanks, Eve, I have literally seen dozens of raw info sites lately, but not that one!
    Hope I don't end up wearing a shirt like that - it's not compulsory, is it??

PinkFluffyCloud

Mz Natural - check out Stephen Arlin, Raw Bodybuilder, and his book, 'Raw Power'. I'm going to treat myself to a copy soon!

PinkFluffyCloud

Well, I am well into Day 2, and I feel good! I have survived! Ok, early days, but I went to bed feeling rough, with a cold, feeling hungry, and a bit like "Oh, God, what I am trying to do now??", then woke up early feeling bright and breezy.
    I have still got a cold, but since having my breakfast I do feel energized.
    I will be interested to see how I feel once the cold has cleared.

Quote rawreform
    How concerned you want to be with these kinds of issues is a personal thing - I personally just try to listen to my body and give myself what feels right to eat.
    ...and if you listened to your body and it told you to eat meat?

I disagree strongly that eating something which involves killing someone (like a fish) is a personal thing. If you eat an animal or a bird or a fish... isn't the life of this being a 'personal thing' for the animal, bird or fish itself? Why do you think that the life or death of another living being is your 'personal' choice?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

PinkFluffyCloud

Well, I am thankful that Angela brought this back into the 'spotlight' again, I was toying with going Raw for ages, and it finally made me do it.

However, I must agree, Korn, I hate it when people say it is their 'personal choice' to eat a dead body - what about the poor creature's 'personal choice', eh?

I have had great fun today, with my new (£5!) mixer, making Almond Milk, Banana and Coconut Shakes, and Coconut, Blueberry, Strawberry and Almond Mousse. Also I made Organic Orange Juice, mmmmmmmm!.

PFC The shakes you made sound delicious. I have to buy another blender since the jar part of mine broke. It is a perfect excuse for me to buy a Vita Mix. I have been eyeing that brand for a few months

I checked out Stephen Arlin's website, and ‘googled’ to find out more info on him, he is big but not with any actual muscle definition when comparing to non-raw (mainly thinking of vegan since I fall into that category) bodybuilders out there. I wonder why? I will check to see what foods he is eating. You do need definition if you plan to compete. I will google to see if I can find actual competitions he has been in. Then again not all bodybuilders compete. Although I have seen a few articles where he is described as a ‘weightlifter’, which would be different.

ITA Korn and PFC the animal is not given a choice before it ends up on someone’s plate.

PFC said "However, I must agree, Korn, I hate it when people say it is their 'personal choice' to eat a dead body - what about the poor creature's 'personal choice', eh?"

That's exactly what I thought immediately I read CC's posting. Listening to their bodies is simply justifying eating whatever they damned well like, even though the fish also has a right to live. It used to really annoy me when people would say ain't it a shame that whales and other creatures were accidentally caught in the nets meant for tuna. So what about the tuna, is it all right to catch them? Sometimes I 'listen to my body' and it tells me that a glass of Guinness would go down a treat, especially as my iron is low. Still, Guinness is not vegan, and that's the end of it - extra tomatoes for me!

Sorry rawreform, but you're no vegan.
    Eve

Hi everyone. Congratulations PFC on your raw experiments and thanks to everyone for feedback. In my belief system, all living things have soul and energy to them, be it a tuna-fish, a bear or a carrot and I personally don't give a carrot any more 'choice' of whether it is eaten by me than a tuna, but I give thanks for what I receive. I believe we are all connected to each other. I have much interest and respect for those who live as breatharians and sungazers, but am not ready to live that way myself, so continue to eat foods. Our belief systems may differ. For the majority of my time high-raw I have been vegan and though I can't imagine I would ever return to eating meat or dairy, I began to eat fish during this period - something I had almost never done before. My journey to where I am now has been about health and helping others who want to overcome the serious and life-threatening condition of morbid obesity through eating more raw foods, not about being judgemental of what others choose to eat, which is something I don't find interesting.
    Best Wishes, Angela.

Angela,

I commend you on your weight loss and your journey towards good health. However, I do have to concur with eve because this is a vegan forum, not a raw forum for people who eat what their bodies tell them to. It doesn't matter why a member is vegan, just that they are or that they are trying to become a vegan.

Congratulations on your accomplishments

I'm bemused as to why there are several links to vegan sites on the website, suggesting that veganism was beleived in, that it simply isn't necessary to use animals (including fish) for any purpose. Yet the same website advocates the eating of fish.

Don't get me wrong, I also think its fantastic that you have lost the weight you have, that you are willing to help others, and that you have reduced your consumption of animals. But I'd like to see the links in this thread to the website removed as it is clearly misleading.

My opinion, in the nicest possible way.

Quote MzNatural

I checked out Stephen Arlin's website, and ‘googled’ to find out more info on him, he is big but not with any actual muscle definition when comparing to non-raw (mainly thinking of vegan since I fall into that category) bodybuilders out there. I wonder why? I will check to see what foods he is eating. You do need definition if you plan to compete. I will google to see if I can find actual competitions he has been in. Then again not all bodybuilders compete. Although I have seen a few articles where he is described as a ‘weightlifter’, which would be different.
    I forgot to add that the pictures I saw could be off-season if he does compete. I am happy to see other non animal eaters promoting physical fitness. It actually shows that vegetarians can actually gain muscle without consuming animals. My head trainer had been trying to get me to eat animals for a while and he finally gave up. He did not think I could possibly get my protein without animal products. I named a few vegetarian athletes and that ended that conversation!

PinkFluffyCloud

Angela, don't want to turn this into a 'Witch-hunt', but you did describe your site as a Raw Vegan testimonial site, but you are not a Vegan by definition, so it is misleading.

It also makes me wonder *what* your body was trying to tell you when you were craving Fish flesh? Was it a case that you needed more Protein, this is my real worry with the raw food diet.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    CC, I didn't pick your brains as I haven't seen you around much, thought maybe you were very busy, but I will when I have more questions, thanks.
    Why are you transitioning, if you don't mind me asking, did you find it unsuitable for you, long-term?

Both my Chiropractor and Acupuncturist (and my body) believe that for me and my constitiution, at this time, it serves my best interests to eat some cooked foods, like steamed veggies, whole grains and legumes.

That is what I mean by "listening to one's body"...taking cues from how you feel and react to diet, exercise, lifestyle and so on, making (conscious and vegan) adjustments as you and your health team deem necessary.

Eve, I am not sure what post of mine you are referring to when you say "that's what I thought when I read CC's post"...(?)

Sorry CC, I must have had you on my mind when responding to rawreform - a 'senior moment' perhaps, sorry again.
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

I have had to call a halt to my Raw experiment for now, anyway.
    I collapsed, I am feeling so damn ill with a bad Cold. My chest is 'on fire' and I have been so weak and achey.
    I am not blaming the Raw diet, by the way, I just feel I need hot food and treats at the moment.
    I am disappointed in myself. Bad timing, I guess.

julieruble

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling ill.

I had a horrible cold last week, and it usually takes me a couple of weeks at least to get over a cold, but I bought some 500mg Vitamin C capsules and took 3 of them a day, with a few tall glasses of orange juice as well. This is about 2-3g of vitamin C, which is about 1000% of your recommended daily value, but research has found no upper-limit to safe vitamin C doses, and so it's not unsafe. Here's where I read about it (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w99/kidneystones.html).

Vitamin C (and zinc, by the way!) are known to help colds, especially in large doses, especially EARLY in the cold! Worked wonders for me

PS-- If you're achey, might want to make sure you rule out the flu . . . it has coldlike symptoms combined with aches and a fever. You can check here (http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/5/4068_111.htm)

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I have had to call a halt to my Raw experiment for now, anyway.
    I collapsed, I am feeling so damn ill with a bad Cold. My chest is 'on fire' and I have been so weak and achey.
    I am not blaming the Raw diet, by the way, I just feel I need hot food and treats at the moment.
    I am disappointed in myself. Bad timing, I guess.
    Do you think you might have been detoxing? I have had some of the symptoms you are describing, the first few days, when I have done food cleanses (only eating raw foods.)

Quote julieruble
    I'm sorry to hear you're feeling ill.

I had a horrible cold last week, and it usually takes me a couple of weeks at least to get over a cold, but I bought some 500mg Vitamin C capsules and took 3 of them a day, with a few tall glasses of orange juice as well. This is about 2-3g of vitamin C, which is about 1000% of your recommended daily value, but research has found no upper-limit to safe vitamin C doses, and so it's not unsafe. Here's where I read about it (http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/f-w99/kidneystones.html).

Vitamin C (and zinc, by the way!) are known to help colds, especially in large doses, especially EARLY in the cold! Worked wonders for me
    My doctor, who is holistic, recommends that one takes mega doses of vit C, 1,000mg at a time until you develop diarrhea then cut back. The diarrhea is the only way to know that your body has had enough C. It's a horrible way to figure it out but it does work. I've noticed that sometimes, my body will only need 2,000 a day while another illness, I was up to 5,000mg.

julieruble

Ooh, interesting to know. Thanks for the info Feline.

PinkFluffyCloud

At first I thought I was de-toxing, Mz, but it got worse and the aches, etc, began. Maybe I have got the 'Flu, rather than a Cold, I never really know????
    I am fed up with it, I know that!!!!!!!

PinkFluffyCloud

Thought I would feel really relieved, 'allowing' myself to eat cooked stuff again, but actually I feel down about it. I think I will begin again in a few days, when I feel strong enough to tackle it sensibly.
    I really do wish to feel healthy, and be slim as I used to be!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    At first I thought I was de-toxing, Mz, but it got worse and the aches, etc, began. Maybe I have got the 'Flu, rather than a Cold, I never really know????
    I am fed up with it, I know that!!!!!!!
    In some cases it can get worse. I read where some people felt bad for as much as a few weeks. Some people mentioned flu like symptoms. Two days raw is very good! You will do it again.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote MzNatural
    In some cases it can get worse. I read where some people felt bad for as much as a few weeks. Some people mentioned flu like symptoms. Two days raw is very good! You will do it again.

I became so very ill (and lost a tooth, actually) while having a detox and cleansing reaction during/after a 6 month cleansing process that was Raw, culmiating in periods of juice -only and finally a 14 day water only fast. I was so sick I felt I might die on several occasions, and I know what to do to alkalize, balance and heal naturally while cleansing and made use of chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, energy healing, herbs and remedies, hydrotherapy and many other healing modalities. A cleanse can be very intense.

You will cleanse again, PFC. I am proud of you for making it through 2 days and listening to your body