Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: raw vegan weight loss

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I became so very ill (and lost a tooth, actually) while having a detox and cleansing reaction during/after a 6 month cleansing process that was Raw, culmiating in periods of juice -only and finally a 14 day water only fast. I was so sick I felt I might die on several occasions, and I know what to do to alkalize, balance and heal naturally while cleansing and made use of chiropractic, acupuncture, massage, energy healing, herbs and remedies, hydrotherapy and many other healing modalities. A cleanse can be very intense.
    Sure puts me off doing anything like that! I eat mostly raw, perhaps 80%, and for the rest I have some soymilk, small amount of bread, tiny amount of tahini, flaxseed oil, etc. I see the doc about once in 3 months or so, and don't have herbs, or any other healing modality. I meditate, swim, exercise, and enjoy a pampering pedicure every 5 weeks, that takes care of my health.
    Eve

julieruble

Cc and MzNatural, I've never seen any documentation of research (which isn't to say there isn't any--I haven't looked much and consequently haven't come across it) about detox and I agree with Eve that it is very off-putting. I'm wondering how you knew that this was the way to go, and that something wasn't wrong with your body for it to react this harshly?

Just reading about "detox," it sounds like just being very unhealthy and sickly for a period of time. I don't really know how anyone knows it's "detox" and not just being sick from your diet choices. Will anyone enlighten me?

Quote julieruble
    Just reading about "detox," it sounds like just being very unhealthy and sickly for a period of time. I don't really know how anyone knows it's "detox" and not just being sick from your diet choices. Will anyone enlighten me?
    Hi Julie,
    In my case I know it was a form of cleansing in July I was given tests by the doctors since they did not know what was affecting me. I was having severe abdominal pains, nonstop. I was prescribed medication (which I did not take) and giving tests (HIDA scan, MRI, and Endoscope) along with injections for the various tests. I was not too happy about that since I was concerned about what was going into my body. They still could not figure out what was wrong with me. I refused any more tests and looked at my eating habits thinking there had to be a better approach to fixing what was wrong with me. I figured it might be what I was eating that was causing me so much pain. I did a food cleanse for 28 days, actually longer since that is mainly what I eat and I had ‘cleansing’ symptoms. I had a slightly sore throat, and terrible breakouts from the medication (lasted about a month) as it worked its way out of my system.

Our bodies encounter toxins from both internal and external sources every minute of every day. The wonderful thing is that the liver, kidneys, lungs, intestines, and blood work continuously to clean out every cell, organ and tissue. This internal process keeps us from literally poisoning ourselves. Still, many proponents of internal cleansing believe that the burden of our modern society can and does overwhelm this innate cleansing process. There is so much that can pollute our system and at times it is overworked. I usually can tell when I need to take a break if I am feeling tired, listless. Thankfully that has not happened in several months switching to a whole food diet. I try to listen to my body. We regularly clean many things in our environment like our homes, clothes, even ourselves. When our drain clogs, we clean it out. If our toilet backs up, the problem demands our immediate attention. But do we ever think about cleaning our internal organs. There has been research done on detoxification. If you think about it there are many environmental toxins around us like: Polluted air, water and food, pesticides, inorganic fertilizers, toxin elements (paints, glues, cleaning solutions, carpets, bug sprays, ect.) used in the home, office and car. Our bodies are constantly exposed to these environmental toxins, whether they are breathed in or ingested through the skin. Over time, these toxins can build up in the body, settling in the various organs, causing a variety of skin, hair and health problems.

After a few days my abdominal pains disappeared. What a relief they kept me up at night. I was only able to get a few hours sleep before they would awaken me again. I occasionally have water or juice fast, or a few raw days with no side effects. I believe that has a lot to do with how I eat, whole foods, no unnatural ingredients. I even work out during water fasts and continue about my day. I have noticed my skin is a lot brighter, comparing before and after pictures and I although I was healthy before I was having so much problems in July I am even healthier now based on my follow up check up. My energy level always high is even higher now. I have read research about various ‘food cleansing’ programs in books that I have purchased. I will have to locate them and see what research is mentioned.

At the monthly Earth Save meeting last evening I was impressed that a doctor was talking about the various ailments she sees with her patients and how they would benefit from a food cleanse/detox. She’s not vegan, not even vegetarian although she wants to make the switch to an animal free way of eating.

Whoops there I go again, rambling!

That was really interesting, Mz. Thanks! Puts things into perspective.

julieruble

Thank you SO much Mz! I can't wait to read through this post. I'll definitely post again if I have any questions...

julieruble

Just read through the post, Mz. Thanks so much for sharing your experience...very interesting. I would love to see any research you've come across regarding detox, but don't go to any trouble. If you don't have any off-hand, I can always just poke around online. Thanks again, and I'm very glad to hear the awful abdominal pains subsided. That does not sound fun.

i too thought immediately that pfc was going thru a detox. i felt the same way for the past few days but now i feel really good.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

PinkFluffyCloud

The worst thing is my skin. I have worked on getting it clear, and as soon as I began to go Raw it got terribly inflamed and spotty again.
    Now I am on my second go, it's happened again, but I understand it may be the toxins working their way out.
    I sure hope they hurry up, my face hurts!!

Quote julieruble
    Just read through the post, Mz. Thanks so much for sharing your experience...very interesting. I would love to see any research you've come across regarding detox, but don't go to any trouble. If you don't have any off-hand, I can always just poke around online. Thanks again, and I'm very glad to hear the awful abdominal pains subsided. That does not sound fun.
    I found the information I was referring to when I was reading last evening so I will post that information this coming week. I also ordered a book that talks about it in detail. I should b receiving that any day. I am hoping it has additional research that I can add.

I feel so much better and am happy I don’t have those abdominal pains anymore. My abdomen was slightly bloated during that ordeal. I figured it was the bread that I was eating which had wheat and dairy. I have always had problems with dairy and avoided it, Ironically when I went on a food cleanse I found I had an allergic reaction to wheat during the food cleanse as well. I can eat sprouted wheat with no problem.
    Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    The worst thing is my skin. I have worked on getting it clear, and as soon as I began to go Raw it got terribly inflamed and spotty again.
    Now I am on my second go, it's happened again, but I understand it may be the toxins working their way out.
    I sure hope they hurry up, my face hurts!!
    They hurt as well when I experienced that PFC, it does get better so hang in there. I think mine lasted about 3-4 weeks but each week they became less until they finally went were all gone! My skin was a lot clearer & brighter after that.

julieruble

Thanks Mz, I'll look forward to it. But please, only if it's no trouble!

It’s no trouble in the book (Conscious Eating) it refers to a few centers (can’t remember the names offhand) that have been operating for years. I believe in Europe. The additional information I am interested in should be found in The Cure for all Cancers that I should be receiving any day.

Default Re: raw vegan weight loss

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Both my Chiropractor and Acupuncturist (and my body) believe that for me and my constitiution, at this time, it serves my best interests to eat some cooked foods, like steamed veggies, whole grains and legumes.
    Hello all - I know I'm joining this thread super late however, I'm considering going RAW. Regarding all the concerns about protein, how is it different from the vegan diet? Aren't sprouted grains and legumes permissable on the RAW diet? Or is sprouting so time consuming/meticulous (or intimidating to some people like me!) and therefore RAW folks don't get enough protein because they don't put the effort into it? Or is there a chemical reaction in certain foods like legumes and grains that is more beneficial when cooked versus raw?

Sorry for all of the nested questions!
    "Destiny, or karma, depends upon what the soul has done about what it has become aware of."
    --
    Edgar Cayce

how many percent raw would i have to do if i would want to loose weight? (in addition to stop using vegan fast foods/sugar)
    i dont get why tea is so bad. do raw vegans eat uncooked tea leaves then or just herbs? or do they use them as herbs? say camomile and other healthy stuff. i just dont see how something like tea could be fattening. ( i never use sugar/milk in it)
    so detox is just goin raw for a couple of days? or its fasting/only drinking water?
    det e bedre at den e dyr - enn at den e døde dyr

so far 17 lbs in about a month since i went raw and went on a hard-core exercise training schedule. (I box, so a lot of the weight I carry is muscle tone)

Raw is the only way to go!

5'9
    143.4lbs
    so far...
    size 2 (US)
    Bust size: 34DD
    waist: 25.5-26
    hips: 36
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Hello.
    I've dabbled in the raw foods and find them to be yummy! However, with my work hours and family/friends (who think it's absurd), being 100% raw is really (really) tough. I've taken quite a few food prep classes and have lots of great recipes if anyone is interested (stuff like raw chocolate macaroons, raw/live burritos & tacos and some soups...among my favorites).
    I'm scheduled to take another raw class in January - it's being taught my a guy who owns a raw restaurant in Santa Monica called Euphoria Loves Rawvolution. I'll let you know how it goes.
    For those of you trying to stick to raw - more power to you! For now, I do what I can to try to eat at least 50% raw each day. Granted, the holidays knocked my on my butt and I'm still trying to get up (but I'm still vegan...junky foody vegan, but still vegan .

All the best to my raw foodie pals!
    Last edited by bexter; Jan 5th, 2007 at 06:17 AM. Reason: fat fingers :)