Thread: Has anyone else seen this frustrating article?

Default Has anyone else seen this frustrating article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...surprise-.html

Being veggie doesn't make you fat, WHAT YOU EAT makes you fat!!

Those easily-swayed, informationless folk are going to see the headline and say to their friends "you never guess what I saw in the Daily Mail...".

Default Re: Has anyone else seen this frustrating article?

It's about vegetarianism; no doubt heavy on the dairy. Still, terrible article. The frightfulness of the Daily Wail says a lot about its readers.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

Stupid bint. I'm sure I've read lots of studies that say vegetarians are, on average, slimmer than meat eaters.

*waddles off to cram face with macaroni cheese*

Buddha Belly

I am not the best to preach, but the majority of veggie foods that are eaten in or out are so laden with cheese and milk that they might as well just serve lard on a plate.
    This question should be; What profit can the rag make from this? Are the owners large livestock owners? Or just d***heads?

How tiresome.

(Apart from the problems with the content, in the headline they've capitalised the word after the colon: Nasty foreign habit! )

Kidney beans, butter beans, lentils and chickpeas are a good source of fibre. They can prevent constipation and help balance hormones but as a protein source, forget it. You might as well chew a twig.
    How utterly infuriating.

*live*&*let*live

Or just d***heads?
    Just dickheads.

It's not that some people don't fancy joining the knit-your-own sandals brigade - even the most hardened anti-eco-warrior takes their own cotton bag to Sainsbury's these days - it's that many of us want to be able to do up the top button of our jeans. Put simply, being a veggie makes you fat.
    Knit your own sandals brigade?! Speak for yourself I pay someone to knit mine, fair price for a fair day's work, no sweat shops or use of small children for me.

And I speak from experience. I was a veggie as a teenager and I have never been fatter. Stella will no doubt point to her own whippet-like thighs as proof that vegetarianism is not a recipe for flab. However, while she is able to slink about in teeny-tiny jeans, the result perhaps of a high-end veggie diet of lightly steamed endamame beans, miso soup and salad, no dressing, most vegetarians live on pasta and cheese.
    That's because she is a healthy vegetarian if this statement is true. Which is exactly what they are not talking about in this article. Anyone who stuffs themselves with cheese and pasta is gonna put on weight! Assuming they are lacto-vegetarians?

This was the recipe for the handles I didn't love as a teenager. When I wasn't stuffing my face with pasta and cheese, it was toast and butter, stodge that was guaranteed to pile on the pounds.
    At my plumpest, I was near to 11 stone and I'm only five foot tall. I was flabby, unhealthy and I didn't see a leaf of spinach from one week to the next. And I don't think I was unique. There is a reason vegetarian men of a certain age grow goatee beards; it is to hide their double chins.
    EXACTLY you were an unhealthy vegetarian!!! Stupid woman!
    Butter + cheese + pasta all eaten in silly proportions = weight gain! This is pure unhealthy in any diet or lifestyle.

I accept full responsibility for inhaling cheese and onion pasties. I was lazy. It takes a lot of effort to be a good vegetarian. You need to balance your proteins and your slowrelease carbs, watch your good and bad fats and make sure you get a full complement of vitamins, some of which, such as B12, are most readily available in peculiar cuts of meat. No wonder most veggies just reach for the cheddar.
    She explains it much better in this statement, however she then blames it on eating lazily!! She has really contradicted herself. Vegetarianism does not equate to being overweight, being lazy as she states, underactive and uninformed leads to weight gain.

I wonder if she can write the same for vegans then? No dairy but we still have cheese alternatives. ANYONE can be overweight if they eat the wrong things or rather, too much of a 'wrong' thing! Oh and don't forget all the chocolate, ice-cream and sweets veggies can eat, I think she forgot to mention that!

*live*&*let*live

Quote Cherry View Post
    How utterly infuriating.
    And WRONG! She said she was a qualified nutritionist??!

The nutrition in 250ml of beans is:

umm must be an error with the protein number should that be 1.6?!

Utter b*llocks.

Unsurprisingly the "journalist" is a an ex-veggie justifying her choice to go back to the dark side.

Oh, taxi!
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

*live*&*let*live

^ ^

First stop Loserville, you should take the author!

*explodes*

Chickpeas don't have protein? Sorry? This woman is a qualified nutritionist and starting her own practice. Maybe we should all volunteer to have our protein-deficient, fat-filled diets analysed there...