Thread: Anyone else have this problem?

Question Anyone else have this problem?

Well I've been vegan for a few weeks now, well again anyway. I was vegetarian for 7 years and vegan for a year then I went back to being a vegetarian. I don't even know why. Convenience probably, i was working long hours and studing when I wasn't, not an excuse I know but I fell off the wagon.
    Anyways! When I went back to bein a veggie, alot of the food was making me feel really really sluggish and I was having problems keeping food down. Probably the reintroduction of dairy after such a long time but over the last few weeks i've felt alot better, physically and mentally. I can start enjoying food again hopefully!

But I was just wondering if any of you guys experienced this, basically the smell of food is making me gag. I was out with my friends a few nights ago, I did have quite alot to drink but all my friends ordered pizza and as soon as it arrived the smell made my stomach just lurch and I had to leg it up the garden to be sick. Also my girlfriend was cooking earlier and the smell of pork made me feel a little sick so I don't think it was just the alcohol the other night.

I dunno, fast food and all that never bothered me because I wasn't the one eating it!! I havent ate meat in almost 8 years so I don't understand whats happening Any one have any theories?

Default Re: Anyone else have this problem?

The sight and smell of meat, as well as eggs nowadays, also makes me nauseous. I think its a psychological thing.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

^ I agree.

With me, I noticed that after I stopped eating processed foods and stuff, really greasy foods made me want to gag. It subsides after a little while.

With exposure, you will probably become accustomed to the stench.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I can't say I've ever been physically sick due to these sorts of smells but I've felt very queasy around them. Waking up, hungover, to find your flatmates cooking sausages and eggs is not a pleasant start to a week! Last night I was being driven home by my cousin and we went a stupid route because he had to go pick up his friend in her town, and we drove past a battery chicken farm followed by a load of dairy cows in the next field and across the road there was a sausage factory. No joke. Worst car journey ever.

But yeah to get back to the point, I've been vegan for about 20 months now and I still get this, I'm hoping it goes away eventually though!

I was vegetarian for many years and was once exposed to a piece of greasy salami in what was supposed to be a vege-pizza (homemade, half-veg/half-meat).

I felt physically sick, no exaggeration. It wasn't an 'OMG, there's meat in my pizza' kind of thing, it was a physical response. Apparently, you develop an enzyme in the body if you eat meat as a youngster which helps you digest it. You can lose it if you don't eat meat for a long time.

fiver.

I have a love/hate relationship with non-vegan smells. They smell good and gross to me at the same time. If I like the smell that I feel guilty for liking it, even though I'm not considering eating it at all. Part of the liking the smell might be nastalogia (sorry for the spelling). It's also that it wasn't that I ever disliked the taste of meat and dairy. If even the choice though I'd rather not smell it and some never admit to a omni "oh, that smells good". I think they'd see it as a sign of weakness.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

*live*&*let*live

Apparently, you develop an enzyme in the body if you eat meat as a youngster which helps you digest it. You can lose it if you don't eat meat for a long time.
    Ahh interesting, this would probably explain what happened to me. I had been vegetarian for several years and when I was 19 got pregnant with my son. I wasn't looking after myself properly as then I wasn't really into healthy eating so my mum took me to the docs. He had been my GP for all my life and knew me very well, he insisted that I start eating meat otherwise he would put my in hospital for the rest of my pregnancy. I was only about two months into it so I didn't fancy that! In my naivety I decided to do what I thought was right for my baby. I can't remember if it was a tuna or bacon sandwich that I first ate but I didn't feel sick, but walked back into the kitchen with the plate. All of a sudden I projectile vomited (no joke!) it was everywhere, the window and curtain, the floor it was like something out of a horror movie! I thought it was a psychological reaction rather than a physical one but this enzyme post would explain it. Needless to say I continued to eat meat for a time as I was young and believed what I was told.
    Now of course I would listen but be adamant I was not changing, but I am much healthier and having no more babies!

This happens to me too, it gets worse the longer I'm vegan. I don't see why I should tolerate the smell of burning bodies etc. really. It is disgusting, so it seems logical that it makes me retch.

Quote fiver View Post
    . Apparently, you develop an enzyme in the body if you eat meat as a youngster which helps you digest it. You can lose it if you don't eat meat for a long time.

fiver.
    You don't 'lose' it!
    Production of pancreatic enzymes specific for the digestion of certain foods increase and decrease as required.
    Stop eating meat and certain enzymes are not produced, start eating it again and the pancreatic secretion of these enzymes will increase again!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

*live*&*let*live

^Umm wonder what happened to me then?^
    Do you think it was psychological?

I find the smell of bacon in particular revolting nowadays, whereas when I used to eat meat I liked bacon. But generally, yes, non vegan smells do make me feel queasy nowadays.

I was brought up veggie and yeah the smell of meat makes me feel physically ill. When my boyfriend's family have a chicken in the oven i feel ill all day. I don't think it's psychological because the first time i smelt it and felt ill i didn't know what it was. It smells digusting, can't believe people eat it lol.

One thing I don't enjoy about summer is the smell of barbecues. It really makes my flesh crawl (pun intended).
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

I get it now and again, my OH cooked salmon earlier when I was baking some potatoes in the micro and I was fine. I just get that "UGH" feeling when I walk by mcdonalds or kfc and such and I survived walking round all the fish in japan for over 5 weeks. I've gotten used to the smells and like i said i was vegan for a year, I guess it just freaked me out cuz I've never reacted that way before.
    Well... except about 3 or so months ago when I was putting some ladies shopping through at work and she had this roast joint in a bag. Bag's full of blood of course and I hate touching them! But I grabbed a corner and pulled it along the belt so I wouldnt have to touch it and I guess it snagged on the scanner and weight thing and it just burst open, blood hit my face and rolled down over my shirt and trousers. Most embarrassing moment in work ever. Yes I freaked out ran off my checkout (apparently someone had to take over and I got in trouble for leaving a customer. Anyways I ran to the toilets and cried my eyes out as I tried to scrub it off. Seeped through and my skin was red and everything. Psycologically scarring I tell you!! I tense at the sight of them now! lol

That must have been horrendous, Sproutpout ~ disgusting and embarrassing at the same time. Why do people want to buy stuff like that?
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Quote Kate1978 View Post
    That must have been horrendous, Sproutpout ~ disgusting and embarrassing at the same time. Why do people want to buy stuff like that?
    flavor? god knows!! The fresh meat counter sometimes has raw meat on the outside of the bag at the label too. It's really annoying cuz I cant refuse to put these things through! Some of the stories though! I was putting through whole salmon one day as well and the salmon flew out of the bag. I think the wee chinese guy was just laughing at the horrified expression on my face. Lets just say it wasnt the freshest
    Sorry off topic, I just usually get that "and..?" look when I tell anyone else as they dont really get it.

...goes to show humans can get used to anything. Whenever there is shocking news of atrocities, I am the least surprised.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Certainly, when I smell burning body parts, I associate that with death, not nourishment. Ignoring might seem a better approach, but I believe it would require considerable effort.

The smell of animals cooking and the smell of eggs cooking (or cooked) makes me feel ill in the stomach.

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    ^Umm wonder what happened to me then?^
    Do you think it was psychological?
    Yeh, i would say it's all psychological.
    Just as we associate certain smells with pleasant memories and can almost 'feel' the good experiences flooding back, then we can also do the reverse and some smells conjure up 'bad' feelings and memories!

OT did you get ma e mail by the way?
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

The smell of roasted chickens from the supermarket, when people buying them stand close to me, that makes me sick in the mouth - get that carcass away from me! I always wondered how something that smells so bad doesn't make the eater violently ill!

I can't help now, but associate the smell of meat, dairy, eggs with the animals they are from. That in itself makes smelling these poor creatures bodies and by products cooking is enough to make me wretch!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

I leave the kitchen when my family/friends are cooking any kind of bodyparts. And I have a really hard time sitting down and eat when there is meat on the table!!

I noticed that after a few years as a vegetarian I started to become very sensitive to meat smells... I could smell them more often and could tell the freshness of the meat by it; fresh meat just smells like meat, the older or worse quality meat smells sickening.

I can tell if meat is fresh/not-rotting by how the smell makes me feel... and disturbingly, a LOT of what people buy and eat (especially at fast food places, but also at the store) is NOT fresh at all.

The most striking example was (as steroetypical as it may sound) with Taco Bell meat. I was working in a tattoo/piercing shop in Germany and I'd ordered my lunch from one location and the others there from another, since I was the only veggie, but didn't know what they'd gotten or from where... a while later I'm sitting eating my food at the counter and suddenly smell something putrid and rotten behind me and start gagging; I turned around to find out what it was and my friends had *just* opened up their Taco Bell tacos and burritos and such to put sauces on them.

Having started smelling some foods clearer like this, if I were to ever stop being veggie there are a LOT of things I still wouldn't eat because they're rotting.

So far, I'm okay with non-vegan smells. But this could be because I've only been vegan for 4+ months. I may feel differently a year from now.

I have a definite gag reaction walking past a butcher shop. Sometimes I can cope with meat cooking, but the other day I had a panic attack set off by my boy's flatmate cooking lamb. For some reason that always smells especially bloody.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

Quote Lisey_duck View Post
    I have a definite gag reaction walking past a butcher shop.
    I've had this ever since being a lil' kid, and way before I went veg*n.

Regards the smell of meat and it being rotton, well, it's been over 16 years since I ate any meat, so I can't tell the difference between death and stale death.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

The smell of chicken noodle soup makes me want to vomit, the sight of it too for some reason.

I find that milk smells really unpleasant now, as if something's gone off. I got too close to the milk shelves in the supermarket the other week and the smell was really strong and nasty.

I've also noticed that soya milk now doesn't smell/taste of much, but when I first went vegan I couldn't stand the smell/taste of it and thought the smell was really strong. Maybe in some cases it's your taste buds changing, depending on what they're used to/not used to?
    http://www.cookingforvegans.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/cooking4vegans

Whenever there is cooked animal flesh nearby, I notice more than just a bad smell. I feel an unpleasant taste in my mouth, an upset stomach, and difficulty breathing. I have been this way at least as long as I have been vegetarian, although I can't remember exactly when it started. It feels almost like I am eating it. It is quite scary, actually. I try to avoid these situations. Smelly cheese can be the same way now, although that never bothered me before I was vegan, so it probably is an adaptation, to some extent.
    When people finally realize that their appetite for animals is upsetting the planet's balance, will they change, or even care?