Thread: smoking

Default smoking

Just wondering how most vegans feel about smoking? I know not all vegans are healthy vegans so just wondering where you all stand on opinions about smoking? Are cigarettes even vegan?

I don't smoke (used to about 10 yrs ago - well before my vegan days)....

Default Re: smoking

I don't think tobacco is vegan...can't remember what it is about it thats not but I'm sure someone told me that. Though I know tons of vegans who smoke and used to until about a year and a half ago when I just kind of stopped and never had the desire for another

I know American Spirit set a precedent in the tobacco industry by being the first company to refuse to fund any smoking tests on animals.
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

I gave up smoking because of the environmental impact, as in the clearing of rainforests to grow tobacco. The destruction of habitat can't be a good thing for animals. Also, one day I was sitting smoking a cigarette and looked at the package which said "manufactured in Germany" - I was sitting in Guadeloupe at the time and just got to thinking about the pollution caused in shipping this tobacco over the Atlantic and back.

Sorry if a bit off topic, but I think that these are issues which are related to veganism
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

I experimented when I was younger. I decided that smoking was not respecting my body or my spirit. Besides, I like to breathe!Why would I ever give up my health over something like smoking? Health is a gift.

Most brands of cigarettes are tested on animals and also likely have non-vegan ingredients, so no they're not vegan. Even if there is a vegan type though, it's not worth it for vegans--even if it seems like it is, it's not, because it will take off a lot of lifetime that could be spent helping animals, saving lives. Same goes for drugs and even alcohol..

I've never really understood the appeal of smoking in the first place, to be honest. Maybe it's because I got such a good education on the dangers of smoking at a young age, but I've always sort of seen it as a soft form of suicide.
    "I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

There was a thread about it on here a while back, not sure where now.

As long as the substance smoked is not animal tested then from a vegan point of view it's fine.

IMO smoking tobacco is not a good idea because nicotine is very addictive but there are other things you can smoke that aren't. At the end of the day it's your body, it's up to you what you do, not my place to judge others.

Hi I just joined this site to ask the exact same thing I have been vegan for just over 6 months now and was shocked to see this: http://www.news.com.au/national/ciga...-1225847653290

although since becoming vegan i seem to learn how far these industries reach everyday. Now i will have to quit smoking (i agree with the above that it will be better for the environment etc and that i probably should of done so already). So i was wondering if anyone else had gone through the same? I think it may be hard to fight this addiction after smoking for almost 5 years. I cant imagine having anything that has the blood of an animal in it and really don't want this on my conscience. I have been a strict veggie for years but my addiction is v.strong. Thanks for any help!

Hi and welcome, Zelda

I smoked off and on from the age of 16 to 27, and have had the occasional one or two with alcohol since then. The first time I gave up (aged about 21, lasted a year I think) I found eating lots of strong tasting things like garlic, mustard and chilli helped. Also I was a student and saving money helped as well! Next time I gave up when I was about 25 I remember getting through a lot of grapefruit.

I consider myself a non-smoker now. Even if I have the odd one every 18 months or so I don't seem to have the urge to carry on afterwards, which is great. Not sure what the secret was, apart from really really not wanting to smoke any more, not enjoying it very much and knowing I'd feel better if I didn't smoke.

Good luck with it
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

I'm really happy I never picked it up. OK, I smoked pipe and cigars occasionally between 18 and 30, but I stopped that without second thoughts when my wife asked me to (she in turn gave up smoking the occasional cigarette, which I considered a great deal). Of course, sometimes I think that a good cigar might be nice after dinner, but when I remember the aftertaste and the smell, I realize that it is not really worth it.

And I am so incredibly happy that Germany has now banned smoking in restaurants. I never would have thought it might be possible, but it is wonderful to be able to eat out without having to inhale that shit.

Was already resigning to the fact that I would have to go to McDonalds once I had kids that I did not want to expose to noxious fumes when they luckily passed the law.

And although I am usually a very tolerant person, it makes my blood boil when people argue that "everybody should make his own decision" (meaning that smokers can decide to smoke and non-smokers can decide to stay at home) or that the owner of the restaurant/pub should be the one to decide. Frankly, we had that for 100 years (before the smoking ban), because every pub owner might have decided to make a smoke-free pub (like McDonalds did) but nobody did for fear of losing smoking customers. And the ones who had to suffer (or decide to stay at home) were, of course, the non-smokers. Not too different to meat-eaters deciding to eat meat (and the animals, of course, bearing the negative effects of it) IMO.

Would love to hear others' views on this, especially smokers.

Best regards,
    Andy

@twinkle - thanks for the advice! Im doing fine so far, not a cigarette since yesterday, i feel like I'm doing well. So far so good! also, thanks for the welcome ^^

@Andy, I don't really mind the smokers ban, i think its everyone's right to breath fresh air so to that extent i agree that smoking shouldn't be allowed in some areas, especially ones with children. I think it does encourage cigarette smoking as more social activity though, and i can tell this will be a problem now for me when i go out to a bar or restaurant (a small problem in that I may be tempted, not an inconvenience) I definitely wouldn't like to smoke around children, or my family, as I definitely see it as a bad habit of mine. Also I have a little sister and to be honest I would rather take her anywhere but mcdonalds, as i think that's full of toxins too. I think its a shame that that mcdonalds was the one place for non-smokers to go. It's strange to think of them doing an 'ethical' thing
    I couldn't say i feel left out when others go to restaurants though, I have never really stayed at home or felt like i couldn't go to restaurants because of my diet, although if the owner of a restaurant decided it was 'his choice' not to cater for different people and their choices in how they wanted to eat, i think that would be a problem.

mythil

I smoke a pipe, not often I must add as I need to do a lot of cardio and while a pipe doesn't bust your lungs like cigarettes do it certainly isn't healthy.. I did manage to find that more pipe tobaccos weren't tested on animals and you can get specific ones that haven't been anywhere near an animal... I guess this is because pipe smokers aren't as numerous as cigarette smokers and therefore they don't need much in the way of natural resource? I could be wrong

leedsveg

Good wishes from me to all wanting (and trying) to kick the habit.

(I'm old enough to remember going to the cinema in the 1950s/1960s/1970s and and seeing the smoke rise up through the beam of the projected film. Only in later years did the usherette ask as you entered "smoking or non-smoking side?" Not sure how they expected the smoke to only stay at one side of the audience.)

Leedsveg

I consider quitting smoking one of the best things I have ever done and I LOVED the actual feeling of smoking. I hated the smell and feeling like I needed to smoke and knowing I was addicted. But the chemicals are out of your body in a week then it’s the war with your mind. Habits take time to break.
    I have used the memories of quitting smoking to help me become vegan. I still see food around I used to eat and do miss it at times. I know many people here seem completely over animal products and don’t ever miss it but I am not like that. I ate animal products for 31 years and yes I am very happy I made my decision to become vegan and feel it’s the best way to be but that’s allot of years to remember.
    Soon my taste buds will change and I wont remember what animals and there secretions tasted like too!!!! I am really looking forward to that
    Knowing that like smoking this will eventually go away and in 32 years I can say I have been vegan longer then a meat eater will be amazing. I now know and can never not know what happens to animals for taste and human enjoyment and I want no part in that type of world.

So good luck at quitting smoking anyone on that path, I used to do the one day approach. Today I am a non smoker and go from there
    LG
    If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values—they're hobbies. ~ Jon Stewart .

The last cigarette I had was Christmas 2010. When smoking I knew the habit probably wasn't vegan but never looked into it, I had enough to cope with at the time. Giving up was OK, a few weeks of hell but I didn't use any aids, just willpower and I truly believe this is why I haven't gone back. I felt every second of withdrawal and never want to go back there again....ever!

leedsveg

Well done Ladygold and Wildman. You've got my admiration.

Leedsveg

Wink Re: smoking

I smoked from the time I was 14 until I was 22--had a spontaneous pneumothorax and decided it might be a good time to stop smoking. I am a recovering addict with 23 years in recovery and I started smoking again for a few months as a way to counteract going through withdrawal--not the wisest choice, lol. I stopped smoking when I had about 4 months clean because I got pneumonia and had a high fever and went without smoking for 18 hours because I was delirious and then figured since I'd gone that long I might as well quit. It was not without it's uncomfortable moments but my doctor had told me to drink lots of fresh juice--things that contained vitamin C. He said that gets the nicotine out of your body more quickly--makes the withdrawal start more quickly but also pass more quickly. I was just very cranky and told everyone why I was cranky and people steered clear of me for probably the first 2 weeks (a wise choice on their parts!) and after about the 10th or 11th day, I was OK. I haven't smoked for 22 years since. My favorite thing is when I have friends who smoke who want me to come outside with them while they light up. That is one of the things I really don't miss, lol. Standing around outside in the wind and rain trying to keep a cigarette lit while I freeze to death. Call me strange.

Congratulations Zelda, I hope this is it for you! If it's not, don't beat yourself up, just keep working at it until you want to be...a non-smoker.