Thread: Seaweed? Vegan?

Default Seaweed? Vegan?

Hello! I am new to the forum and this is my very first post.

Recently my boyfriend's brother gave us a little Korean rice/seaweed cracker. The ingredients were infact vegan, but after eating it my boyfriend and I were both turned off by the fishy taste of the seaweed. So, it got us wondering, is seaweed vegan? I googled this to try to find out some answers... basically I read that seaweed isn't considered vegan because it can contain little fish and marine life that get stuck in the seaweed. I am not sure if it is vegan or not, so I wanted to get some opinions. My boyfriend and I have been wanting to try out a vegan/vegetarian sushi place in L.A. but now I'm not so sure if I want to...

So... do you think seaweed is vegan, or no? and I would love to read anything that can prove either theory! Thanks!

Default Re: Seaweed? Vegan?

Yes it's a sea vegetable. Sometimes marine life can get caught in it. It depends on how much you believe there to be as to whether you want to eat it or not. Seaweed is a great way of getting your iodine, which is important for healthy thyroid function.

*live*&*let*live

Hi, welcome to the forum and well done for becoming Vegan, you might want to check out this thread, as I too was concerned about what could be in seaweed.

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...hlight=seaweed

i'm eating home made sushi right now! my nori seaweed is vegan

One hard-core vegan told me not to use the disposable chopsticks at lunch because the forests cut down for that purpose were depriving pandas a home.

Do what feels right
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

not a chef yet

Maybe it's not that seaweed tastes like fish, but that fish taste like seaweed.

I don't think it's any different than eating non-marine plants, there is always the chance that a bug will get caught in the plant, or other small animal. We avoid animal products, but avoiding anything that an animal was possible on or caught it would make us unable to eat any plant food as well, unless we pick it ourselves, which is hard to do in the modern world.

Anyone know of any highstreet UK stores that sell kelp powder? I've been looking everywhere. I might need to cave in and crush up some Nori
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.