Thread: Anyone know anything about or been to Dragon's Lair animal sanctuary in Wales?

Default Anyone know anything about or been to Dragon's Lair animal sanctuary in Wales?

Hi everyone! I'd be very interested in hearing people's stories or opinions of the Dragon's Lair animal sanctuary (actually called Dragon's Lair Animal Aid but has nothing to do with THE Animal Aid) run by Carolyn Aldhouse in Aberystwyth, Wales.

I want to point out that i don't want to sound like i'm hating on someone who tries to help animals, but in my view the place is a mess and the lady who runs it is not caring for those animals properly, and according to her, previous volunteers have been unhappy with her too, so it'd be very interesting to hear what other's have to say.

Anyway, I've just got back from what was meant to be a week of volunteering there, at my own expense and by the way i live 7 hours (and three train changes) away, after seeing an ad in the latest Animal Aid magazine saying how desperate the lady who runs it was for help, but we were basically spoken to like idiots and kicked off the property two days early because we asked for disinfectant to clean out a disgusting chicken shed which quite clearly hadn't been cleaned in weeks (she told us to use bleach. BLEACH?? around animals??? tell me if i'm wrong in thinking that's crazy.) Anyway, she blew her top and launched into a scathing attack on us (half of which i have on film because it was so uncalled for) all because we pointed out that living quarters didn't seem to be cleaned properly and if she wasn't going to do it herself we would do it for her because the animals deserve better. Meanwhile she's paying workmen to renovate her house and pathways.

There were so many great animals there who needed attention and we were more than happy to give them it, but i've never been to a sanctuary before so i can't really compare it to anything, so i'd love to hear anyone else's experiences. For instance, is hanging dead crows and magpies from the feeding platforms of rabbits normal? Is throwing a stick at a deaf dog normal? Is feeding green (mouldy) bread to ducks normal?

Cheers! x

Default Re: Anyone know anything about or been to Dragon's Lair animal sanctuary in Wale

No its not normal. I volunteer at an animal sanctuary and whilst conditions aren't the cleanest we don't feed mouldy food to animals or throw stuff at them (the only time this is excusable is if you or another animal is under attack and you need to get them to stop). Obviously dead animals are fed to carnivores but not used as 'keep off' signs for other members of their species.

Bleach?!?! You need to use a non toxic cleaning agent like trigene.

I've seen adverts for working at the place and the way it was worded made me think she sounded rather strange.

cobweb

Default Re: Anyone know anything about or been to Dragon's Lair animal sanctuary in Wale

Haven't been there but have heard bad stuff before, maybe you need to pass on your concerns to Animal Aid.

I've worked at a couple of rescue places and i have to say it can make you go a bit nutty, especially if you are the person running the place, but what you say really sounds bad. Please pass on your worries to someone who can check the place out, for the sake of the animals.

*live*&*let*live

Yes PLEASE get advice and help for these animals. It's supposed to be a rescue for goodness sake! No, it's not normal to feed any animal mouldy food, throw sticks at them or keep them in dirty, nasty places. What is the point of them being there if they are really so unloved?! Maybe things have got on top of her over the past few months/years and she really can't cope now? Maybe she started off with good intentions and now she can't manage for whatever reason. Is she elderly by any chance?

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Maybe things have got on top of her over the past few months/years and she really can't cope now? Maybe she started off with good intentions and now she can't manage for whatever reason. Is she elderly by any chance?
    That's our view exactly. She's 63 and says she has M.E which makes her tired etc - that's why me & my mum (who is 62 herself with her own health problems) travelled all the way out there to try and help her - so it's understandable that 6 acres and about a 100 animals is quite hard to deal with, having said that, basic hygeine, stimulation for the animals, and clean water should be priorities.

Don't get me wrong, we're not talking factory farm conditions with dead animals and wounds everywhere - many animals have gorgeous grassy areas to explore and all the freedom they could want, but many other areas are barren looking and appear to be rarely cleaned. There is a distinct lack of apparant empathy towards these animals and her aggressive, dominating attitude towards people is letting the place down.

She's not even that nice towards her 3 rescued dogs that live with her in the house. They're raised according to the "wolf theory" and no visitors are allowed to give them attention or affection unless it is initiated by you and not when the dogs come to you for it (We flaunted this rule at every opportunity). She would'nt even accept the balls we'd bought for them to play with. She constantly shouts at them and if they don't sit when she tells them to she pushes their back ends to the ground. I've already mentioned the stick throwing incident when she wanted her deaf dog Nelson to move away from somewhere she didn't want him, and she also pulled him by the tail later when she saw him eating the excrement she hadn't cleared away.

I could seriously go on all day about what was worrying about the place but i've put all my views across to Animal Aid in an email so what they choose to do about it is their business, since it was them who were advertising the place in their mag.

I'd still love to hear other people's experiences of the place though, if only just so i know it's not just me being over-protective or whatever! (although i'm sure is isn't)

*live*&*let*live

That's our view exactly. She's 63 and says she has M.E which makes her tired etc - that's why me & my mum (who is 62 herself with her own health problems) travelled all the way out there to try and help her - so it's understandable that 6 acres and about a 100 animals is quite hard to deal with, having said that, basic hygeine, stimulation for the animals, and clean water should be priorities.
    She needs to give it up. She can't manage, it's obvious, no help as she scares them all away what is the point?!

She's not even that nice towards her 3 rescued dogs that live with her in the house. They're raised according to the "wolf theory" and no visitors are allowed to give them attention or affection unless it is initiated by you and not when the dogs come to you for it (We flaunted this rule at every opportunity). She would'nt even accept the balls we'd bought for them to play with. She constantly shouts at them and if they don't sit when she tells them to she pushes their back ends to the ground. I've already mentioned the stick throwing incident when she wanted her deaf dog Nelson to move away from somewhere she didn't want him, and she also pulled him by the tail later when she saw him eating the excrement she hadn't cleared away.

Now this just pissed me right off!! Who the hell does she think she is?! Never mind rescued dogs, they need bloody rescuing! I HATE HATE HATE when animals crave affection and don't get it, it's one of my bug bears. My Elsie is smothered in it, probably too much but when she comes to us mind. I don't mither her! (well only sometimes!! ) Pulling tails and yelling at them is ABUSE not to mention the affection bit. Denying a bit of fun with the balls too, SHAME! You should email her a link to this forum page and she will see whilst we empathise with her age and illness, there is NO excuse for ANIMAL ABUSE!!
    Let us know the response you get from AA. Well done for trying to do your bit. :smile: RSPCA may be another option, I know they get some flack on this forum on occasion but it may be worth a try. (I've had a few 'hiccups' with them myself on occasion)