Thread: Holiday ideas?

Default Holiday ideas?

I'm off work for three weeks from Monday. Yay!

I'd quite like to get some last minute deal and go away for the second week.

But where?

I've never been on holiday by myself before, so I'm a bit worried that I'll get bored or go crazy.

And obviously I'll need to be able to eat too. So somewhere vegan friendly - ideally where English is commonly spoken too.

I think there's quite a high likelihood that I'll fail to get away. But I'm going to try...

My best idea so far has been New York. I've been a few times before so I know I love it (and can eat!) I generally enjoy cities more than beaches or "adventure holidays" but am prepared to be open minded. And it might be good to be taken out of my comfort zone.

So any ideas welcome...

Default Re: Holiday ideas?

I think we're going to need a bit more information... what do you want to do when you're away? Lie on a beach? Visit museums, art galleries and the like? Go hiking or canyoning? White water rafting?

What about budget? Do you want to hang with the ex-pats or the natives?

How do you want to travel?

I fancy Copenhagen myself, or Holland, but know virtually nothing about either. Nor about how vegan friendly they are.

But give us more info and I'm sure we can help

BlackCats

Quote robb View Post
    My best idea so far has been New York. I've been a few times before so I know I love it (and can eat!) I generally enjoy cities more than beaches or "adventure holidays" but am prepared to be open minded. And it might be good to be taken out of my comfort zone.
    Ooh I would go to New York and you could meet up with the local VF people there. Seattle and San Francisco are really good for vegans but that's about as far as I know.

(I'm jealous, I want to go somewhere.)

Hi Fiamma,

I may have been editing my ad when you posted. But to expand a bit more, I like modern art, and interesting architecture (e.g. Gaudi and Gehry). So Barcelona and Bilbao appeal (but I'm worried I might starve!) Maybe I could even do both...

I've forgotten the architect and the location for some structure that looks like it should be on Tattooine. Anyone know what I mean?

I wouldn't mind seeing the odd band either. Maybe even a DJ. OK, I know I can do that in London, but it's somehow different when you're away from home.

I like to shop too, Sad, I know.

Don't want to spend too much, but not really sure what that means. It's been such a long time since I've had a proper holiday. Don't really mind how I travel, but would generally prefer to do so in an environmentally-friendly way, where possible. And don't mind about natives or ex-pats - as long as they're not the clichéd "Brits abroad"...

Quote BlackCats View Post
    Ooh I would go to New York and you could meet up with the local VF people there. Seattle and San Francisco are really good for vegans but that's about as far as I know.
    Yeah, I was hoping to meet the NY VFers if I made it there. San Fran could be cool too...

Yup you must've been editing - there was definitely less info when I posted I've been to San Francisco and loved it - you should also be able to get vegan food with relative ease. New York is cool too - and you'd never be stuck for things to do...

You wouldn't starve in Barcelona - http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7021 . Someone was telling me they didn't think Bilbao was so good for veg*ns but they might not have known where to look.

Windfall

Quote robb View Post
    Hi Fiamma,

I may have been editing my ad when you posted. But to expand a bit more, I like modern art, and interesting architecture (e.g. Gaudi and Gehry). So Barcelona and Bilbao appeal (but I'm worried I might starve!) Maybe I could even do both...

I've forgotten the architect and the location for some structure that looks like it should be on Tattooine. Anyone know what I mean?

I wouldn't mind seeing the odd band either. Maybe even a DJ. OK, I know I can do that in London, but it's somehow different when you're away from home.

I like to shop too, Sad, I know.

..can I go with you?? Oh pleeeaseee

Barcelona I really like, lots to see, beach, good shops
    Amsterdam is another fave of mine, and Stockholm!
    Stockholm is fab and really warm right now, good shops, atmosphere and there's an archipelago there, so lots of small islands to go to by boat

...and no, I do not live in Stockholm!

Barcelona is pweedy. Besides that, Glasgow is an oasis for vegans if tempted by somewhere more local.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Barcalona is wonderful - I went as a veggie and found plenty to eat - ordered vegan tapas mainly as I did not eat much dairy as a veggie. Good juice bars too.

Loved the shopping and did the open top bus tour - so much to see. I had to avoid the street with all the animals in cages (La Ramblas?)

I totally loved the Gaudi works - well worth seeing as much as you can if you did go? I was only there for 12 hours from a cruise ship and really want to return for a short break to see the rest.

I felt the same with Venice - again had 2 spells there before and after a cruise and fell for the place, had just gone vegan that week so did struggle to find foods, but if I returned Id find out more in advance about where to eat.

I also loved Amsterdam - great shops/museums/art and character plus falafel places everywhere

I go away on my own a fair bit and have always got on fine - been on 2 cruise holidays in the Med which I loved as got to see so many places.

Dubrovnic was another cruise stop place that I liked but for a city break Id love to return to Barcelona or Venice, and Rome is on my list too!

Hope you manage to book something.

We got on OK food-wise in Venice last time, having mugged up on HappyCow etc beforehand.

I don't think I'd like to go there so much at this time of year, though. Probably a bit hot and crowded.