Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Are there any New Zealand vegans here?

Smile Are there any New Zealand vegans here?

I recently changed to a vegan lifestyle and I am loving it and will never go back. However I don't know any other vegans at all - not that it is a problem but it would be nice. Any New Zealand vegans on this board?

Default Re: Are there any New Zealand vegans here?

Yep there's some around. If you go to the "Is it easy to be vegan in NZ" thread you will find some NZ conversation. Pretty quiet at the moment but things could revive I guess!

Thanks Jody. I see you are from Auckland. I'm from Christchurch but moving to Auckland next year. Any recommendations for suburbs? I'm not that familiar with Auckland but I'm thinking that North Shore city seems quite nice in parts and I like the idea of a place with a bit of a greenie, arty vibe and vegan-friendly! And good schools - I have a six year old.

There are lots of great places to live in Auckland - North Shore would be nice (and beachy) so long as you don't have to come across the bridge everyday - traffic is really unpleasant! Auckland is so sprawly it's best to live as near to the things you do as possible. An excellent location would be Grey Lynn / Ponsonby - Harvest Wholefoods and SAFE shop nearby, as well as some cafes with vegan food

I don't know much about schools sorry. I think there might be some groups with kids that meet up in Auckland? I have met a few lovely and friendly people around the place, but don't know anyone vegan well (yet!). Christchurch is has a very strong vegan community doesn't it?

Sorry to crash the thread, but JodyK, while you're talking about Auckland, I will be flying up to North Shore for the weekend later this month, and will be busy at the conference center the entire time. Hotel room has a small kitchen.

Do you know if there are any places in Takapuna where I could pick up a bite to eat on the run, or could grab some groceries at the end of the day? With almost no free time, a cafe or something ready-made would be best. Thanks for any advice if you see this in time.

And hi to Chiarascuro!

Hi! I'm new both to the vegan lifestyle and to this board, so I don't know if there is a strong vegan community in Christchurch. I hope so though! Although I'll only be here for another six months.

Most of the people in my life think I'm a bit strange for going vegan - I've had the 'If apples had feelings would you stop eating those too?' and 'It won't make any difference to the world', types of comments, but they are still supportive of me in the way you are supportive of someone you care about but don't really 'get'.

I'm not judging them - I used to think vegans were weird and extreme as well and thought I was doing great being a vegetarian/pescitarian - until I learned about the reality of the dairy, free range egg, and seafood industries. However it would be great to get to know some other like minded vegans, even if just online. This site is really great for cementing my decision.

Jody - luckily I wouldn't need to worry about traffic. I'm a self-employed designer and artist, so work from home. It's great! But it is super important to me to be in a congenial area as it is where I am all day. Thanks for the recommendations - I love Grey Lynn and Ponsonby, although they may be a bit out of my price range at this stage. I'm prepared to pay up to $400 per week to rent a two bedroom place, but I have a feeling those suburbs might be more expensive than that?

Chiaroscuro - Welcome!! It is nice to find fellow vegans online, isn't it.

I connect with other kiwi vegans here and with vegans in general on twitter (some great news and links believe it or not) and on livejournal's vegan people group.

I've met a few vegans through SAFE appeals and a trip to Wellington where I attended a Veg Society mtg, but the web is great for sitting down with a cup of coffee and reading some vegan news or finding new recipes or links. It also makes you realize you're not at all alone. Counteracts those messages we can get from others that we're weird. (I can't figure what's so weird about compassion, but I do remember when I too thought vegans were a bit extreme. )

I went vegan as you did. Once I read up about the dairy and egg industries I never looked back, and it's been one of the best choices I ever made. I thought it would be a sacrifice, but instead it's been easy and a joy.

I've found it surprisingly easy as well. The only area it gets a bit tricky seems to be eating out, but I don't do that a lot anyway.

Luckily I enjoy cooking and experimenting in the kitchen and most of the vegan recipes I've made have been very yummy and nutritious. I've found one of the keys to eating vegan is to keep a well stocked pantry so there is always something on hand. I really don't miss dairy at all. And I have so much more energy and feel so much better.

My knowledge of Takapuna is quite limited Jessica, but I do know there's a fatimas there (http://www.fatimas.co.nz/) and I think they can do vegan stuff by ditching yogurt etc. There is one up the road from me, but I haven't been there since veganism. They were good for vegetarian food though. Also Burger Fuel is in Takapuna and they have a vegan burger. Both would be quick and easy. I think there must be a supermarket in Takapuna too. Hope you have a good weekend there - it is a nice place.

And back to housing Chiaroscuro, yes, I think Ponsonby Grey Lynn are pretty expensive You can always find excuses to pass through the area and stop at SAFE, Revel (cafe), Harvest Wholefoods, and Victoria Park New World (best supermarket in the country in my opinion!).
    Last edited by jodyk; Jul 9th, 2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks JodyK - great quick options!

This is a really nice site. I've been on the TradeMe message boards recently and I cannot believe the level of nastiness that goes on there........sigh......so good to be back somewhere where having a difference of opinion doesn't automatically lead to name calling.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Hi Chiaroscuro - congrats on the switch to vegan

I'm also in Auckland but like Jody don't really know any vegans in person around here.. I remember even when I first went vegetarian looking for message boards or sites with kiwis on it but they were all totally dead - still are, but at least there's a few of us here.

I don't have any good Aucklandy advice because I live South/Eastish Akl and feel very far removed from all the good places to eat and shop when it comes to vegan stuff. I'm really overdue for a trip out to the SAFE shop on K Rd (still haven't tried that fake parmesan! haha). But yeah there are quite a few yummy places to eat in town, I've only tried a few but hear there's a good curry place on K Rd and a cafe that sells vegan muffins? is it Verona?

Ew and I've heard the Trade Me boards are quite nasty. People here are nice!

Oh yeah I was on the TM boards a while back on a thread debating whether milk was a good thing or not (you can probably guess which side I was on). Anyway virtually all the pro-milk people thought a fantastic argument was "Stupid blardy townies".

Um...ok.....that convinced me.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

Oh that's so depressing.

Random happy thing: stumbled upon vegan white chocolate at Pak N Save of all places today. In the long run this could be a very dangerous thing, but oh well.

Hi Guys, I'm from NZ too, Hamilton to be more exact

Hay im from New Zealand to, Rotorua.
    Countdown has some yum vegan food, frys burger patties and sausages. they have pasta, pre made falafel and heaps more. i think the brand is orgran. (although i may have spelt it wrong) They also have yummy white and dark chocolate.
    "Eat Beans Not Beings"

Yay for new kiwi members - welcome to the forum

It sounds like that Orgran range is getting into a lot of supermarkets now, which is great. I like their gluten free breadcrumbs (it's surprisingly difficult to find good vegan breadcrumbs!!).

Hi,I am in Wellington. Back in feb I did a vegan triathlon in christchurch so I know there is quite a community of vegans there. The christchurch vegetarian societly you could get in touch with as many of them are vegan and i think they hold regular meals out etc. There is also the vegetarian festival/expo in chch coming up (but the food will be vegan), I decided against flying over for it though and will just attend the one in wellington.Hope you get to meet some others for the rest of your time there.

heya,
    I'm in Takapuna and have found there are quite a few vegan options at the foodtown near by, also the burgerfuel is a definite must try with their vegan options!!

Quote charmed_phi View Post
    Hay im from New Zealand to, Rotorua.
    Countdown has some yum vegan food, frys burger patties and sausages. they have pasta, pre made falafel and heaps more. i think the brand is orgran. (although i may have spelt it wrong) They also have yummy white and dark chocolate.
    I'm from Rotorua too! Wouldn't have thought I'd ever meet another on here, there sure aren't many of us around

There's not a lot of vegan stuff round here. I can't even find a source of organic veges

Hi I am from New Zealand and I am a vegan. I live in Auckland. Hi Sam! (fftradio) good to see you on here. From Elizabeth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PccYpRahpJ8

Hi all the NZ vegans!

Im thinking of coming over to NZ next year on the 2 year Working Holiday Scheme I havent done too much research yet about being a vegan over there, so I thought I should ask your opinions on where you think is a good option? Of course Id love to do lots of travelling around, but would need to base myself here and there to work...

Another thing, it would be great to meet up with some of you while Im over there so if anyone is interested in being a tour guide to their town, that would be lovely

I know this thread is a bit quiet at times, but theres no rush!

Thanks
    Clare

Hi clare =]
    Awesome to hear your coming over. I live in Auckland and would be keen to meet up at some point. I'm on the northshore of auckland in Takapuna by the beaches, it will be lovely in summer!!

Shan

Hi Shanny, thanks for your reply! It would be great to come and meet up with you! You lucky thing living by the sea
    Am I right in thinking that Auckland is a pretty good place to be a vegan? Are there many places to eat out? x

hey clare,
    yupp it has a few great vegan resturaunts in the city and also a great cafe that does peenut butter choc cake, cupcakes, cookies and alsorts of goodies!!
    but also there are a variety of vegetarian resturaunts that are mostly vegan on the menu too =]
    I'm still having a bit of a look around as I havent been vegan for too long so am still checking everything out =]

its quite exciting!!

Oh wow. I heard NZ wasn't that vegan friendly. I actually thought if I moved there I would start eating healthier by having to make all my own food. I guess I need to avoid Auckland (though I think that's where most of the job are)!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote shanny89 View Post
    hey clare,
    yupp it has a few great vegan resturaunts in the city and also a great cafe that does peenut butter choc cake, cupcakes, cookies and alsorts of goodies!!
    but also there are a variety of vegetarian resturaunts that are mostly vegan on the menu too =]
    I'm still having a bit of a look around as I havent been vegan for too long so am still checking everything out =]

its quite exciting!!
    Peanut Butter Choc cake sounds lovely I heard about a shop called SAFE or something like that? Is it a charity? It seems like they sell lots of vegan things...

Have you connected with many Auckland vegans? Are there many veggie groups round that way? In not we'll have to start one!!

Someone made a comment that it's hard to make friends in NZ. It was on a blog from people that moved there from a different country. I hope this isn't true!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Someone made a comment that it's hard to make friends in NZ. It was on a blog from people that moved there from a different country. I hope this isn't true!

Depends what part you go to, people differ from town to town. I wouldn't think it's so bad to say "it's hard", but us kiwis are generally shy/keep to ourselves folk. Probably a lot easier if you have things in common

I'm starting to think about Christchurch, despite the name. Sounds great but I'm also thinking about northlands where it's warmer and sunnier. I'm thinking of going there and spending about a month exploring the country before I figure out where to settle.

Looks like it's going to be Auckland. That's where the biggest demand is for jobs.

What's your job Diashel?

Auckland is by far not the nicest place to live. Unless you're already accustomed to big, polluted, expensive cities with far too much traffic I reccommend avoid it.

Hamilton is quite nice, conveniently sized/located and is a good place for vegans. Here's some info on a really good vegan joint in Hamilton:
    http://www.menumania.co.nz/restauran...uffet-hamilton

Urgh, I've heard such mixed things about Auckland!!

Well, the locations on the north island are

Any of them nice?

Im sure Auckland will be fine Dia! Plus you'll be working all week and can go off at the weekend to other places... Im sure its a transport hub

Ive been looking at Wellington and Christchurch as I think those seem nicer.. but as you say Ive heard so many different things!!

Could you transfer after a few months to another branch if you find you dont like Auckland?

^ I don't know, I'll have to ask

I think Wellington sounds great except for the weather.

I really want to go for about a month and just explore the country before I figure it out. The problem is, if I don't take a job before I go, then I'm stuck with paying for my relocation expenses. I'm not sure what to do.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Urgh, I've heard such mixed things about Auckland!!

Well, the locations on the north island are

Any of them nice?

Browns Bay
    This is in Auckland, it's a suburb by the beach. It's a bit pricey to live unless you're flatting/rich. The beach isn't great, but that depends what your beach standards are like.

Gisborne
    Nice place from what I've heard, it would probably class as a small town where not much goes on. But it's also near the ocean and heaps of other nice beach towns.

Havelock North
    This is close to Napier, I haven't been there but Napier is really nice. It's really warm in this part of the country

Henderson
    AKA West Auckland. This is one of the places I lived and it was great, the Waitakere Ranges (massive forest/national park type place) are nearby so if you're into that, Henderson could be for you. Living is a bit cheaper here too. And the people are overall a bit nicer.

Lower Hutt
    Don't know much about Lower Hutt, except that it's pretty much a part of Wellington. Therefore a bit chilly.

Napier
    Yup.

Pakuranga
    East Auckland, not particularly nice but not terrible either.

Palmerston North
    There's a university there so lots of students around, don't think I would want to live there though.

Papakura
    South Auckland, probably an alright place, I haven't spent a lot of time there.

Papatoetoe
    Also South Auckland

Wanganui
    Nothing amazing

Whangaparaoa
    Really nice, it's far enough to not really be considered part of Auckland, yet close enough to get to the big city if you really need to.

I live in a smallish city where not a lot happens, but we're surrounded by about 14 lakes and a whole lot of forests. I grew up here and so I'm kinda biased to places that don't require making an effort to be see a bit of nature

Quote DiaShel View Post
    ^ I don't know, I'll have to ask

I think Wellington sounds great except for the weather.

I really want to go for about a month and just explore the country before I figure it out. The problem is, if I don't take a job before I go, then I'm stuck with paying for my relocation expenses. I'm not sure what to do.
    I just noticed you're in New York haha, you're probably used to the big city thing! I think you'll be fine starting out near Auckland or Wellington, just be sure to explore the country first chance you get

edit - you might know this already, but you can wikipedia any city and it might have some helpful info for ya!

Thank you SO much. That was incredibly helpful. I have been Wiki-ing these places but there's much much info that important to me. Are any of these places close to good rock climbing? Henderson sounds really nice.

She also mentioned a new office in New Plymouth. She said she would put me in Havelock North, Napier or Hawkes Bay is Auckland isn't for me.

My two cents:
    AndrewNZ has given a good run down
    I am an Aucklander and like it here, but I am not adventurous and enjoy familiarity. I think if you come from NY Auckland will seem small yet inconvenient. So perhaps you would be better going for a smaller center for a different kind of experience?
    I have relatives in Gisborne, and while it's lovely for a visit I wouldn't want to live there. Napier/Havelock North would be better - same benefits but not quite as isolated and "small town" (but it is still isolated in terms of driving, don't get me wrong!). Palmerston North is surprisingly nice and there is a cafe in town that sells vegan berry slice (well a year ago there was)!!
    Also, I don't think you should let the weather in Wellington put you off. It is a great place, central for access to the rest of the country and good for vegans, so Lower Hutt could be a good option.

Ok, so I got the job and they gave me a choice of three places they think would suit me best. Nelson, Hawke's Bay and New Plymouth. I think Nelson sounds great but now they might not be able to make that happen.

Awesome, do you have to decide before you come over or can you travel round and make up your mind first?

I have to decide by January

kia ora DiaShel!

personally i'd take nelson, np and hb just arent as pleasant. i have never lived in any but have visited all three. np can be nice if you like the coast and hb is too close to the east coast for my liking.

nelson is the most temperate in terms of weather. 'tis smashing! also alot of berries are grown there, thats where mine are from. my flatmate is from nelson and he is going back there soon to give his folks a hand on their berry farm. lucky fella!

furthermore, i have a few queer friends from nelson. this tells me that the people there are less opposed to people living offbeat lifestyles than other places where people will feel unsafe and stay secretive about themselves so it may very well be easier to find fellow vegans.

i live in wellington and find it easy as to be a vegan with weekly fruit and vege markets, more than a few health shops scattered about the place and a few vegan restaurants.
    "The unexamined life is not worth living" Socrates

Thank you nm, that was very helpful. That just confirmed by thoughts that Nelson is the best choice. Now I just have to decide if I want to be a pain in the butt and insist on being put there or go to Napier which is my second choice.

hm.. well if it helps this caught my eye while browsing through wikipedia: "Napier is the largest cross-bred wool centre in the Southern Hemisphere"

also i know that havelock north (which is just south of napier, probably no longer than a twenty minute drive), has a massive honey bee factory/museum. it has all sorts of products made from honey, which last year when i visited consumed me with interest but now, doubtless, would disgust me.

all im saying here is a town can be defined (to some degree) by the people that are there and what they do.

i know where id choose. haha i could so be their mascot!

also, just had a thought while showering..

if it is the city you are wanting to escape from, nelson would be ideal. beautiful south island landscape. and just think, on the odd weekend you could drive up to golden bay! such a stunner of a place! you would have the whole south island to explore. in my opinion the south is the better island in terms of indigenous wildlife and landscape.

also, i can't believe i didn't think to mention the abel tasman national park. *slaps forehead* it is thought to be one of the most beautiful natural sanctuaries in aotearoa.
    Last edited by nn; Jan 9th, 2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: 'thought' not 'though' n added info

^ ew. I didn't even think of those things. I do like the appeal of the south island except the weather so Nelson seems like a great place. I guess I'm going to have to risk pissing off my future employer and demand I be put there.

I'm a NZ vegan situated in Wellington! Heaps of vegan cafes down here, or at least lots that offer vegan options!

well, it would be wise to risk the future employers fleeting feeling rather than your permanent or at least semi-permanent happiness ..well thats what i think anyway i dont want you to feel like im pressuring you, i just thought it'd be rational and practical to get some first hand advise/experience. i hope i've helped somewhat.