Thread: milk

Default milk

Looking for input on milk. I don't like soy milk and I don't like rice milk. Only other ones I've heard of are Almond and Hemp (but I've never tried or seen either one). Is there any others? I dislike soy and rice because it's too sweet. I do not like sweet stuff, heck I don't even like sweets in general and prefer veggies over fruit because fruit is too sweet for me. So what's a good vegan NON sweet milk I might like?

Red Lion

Default Re: milk

The only non-sweetened vegan vegan milk I know of is unsweeteened soya
    milk,I've been using it for over 20 years and I find it actually makes muesli
    and other breakfast cereals taste better,I also enjoy it on it's own.It is
    basically persevering with it and you will find you come to like it.Before I
    became vegan I used to drink cows milk,literally as they say "until the cows
    come home" now the only milk I drink is soya,I have never heard of hemp
    milk,almond milk I have never tried and rice milk I have but I will stick with
    soya.I trust I have been of some help gyp5mOOn

I don't know where you are but in the UK there's also oat milk, which as far as I know isn't sweetened; you may find it's naturally sweeter than you like, though. Like Red Lion I would think unsweetened soy milk could be a good bet if you can get used to it.

If it's for tea/coffee I think there may be some vegan "creamers" but I don't know anything about them as I don't take milk in tea/coffee myself.

As Harpy says, there is also oatmilk. It's really easy to make your own with some cooked oatmeal, water and a blender. If you google, you'll find loads of recipes

I find sweetened soymilk horrible! Shop around for non sweetened ones, you might find something you like.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I find sweetened soya milk horrible too. I do love sweet things, but I don't like sweet tea/coffee/cereal (or lasagne!) so I always get the unsweetened stuff.

There's quinoa milk as well.

*live*&*let*live

The creamers are made by Oatly and are really very nice! I too dislike soya milk and rice milk, but then tried Alpro light. It is fine with coffee and cereal but not too keen on it in tea. I purchaed some oat milk last week but not tried it yet. It's more expensive that some of the other milks but if it works in my cup of tea, it will be worth it! There is only me that has it in my house though and it takes ages for me to drink it so there is always the chance of it going off. You can only seem to get them in large cartons where I shop. I have not had a cup of tea since becoming vegan, apart from the fruit/herbal ones and I love my tea! :smile:

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    I have not had a cup of tea since becoming vegan:smile:
    Oh my! I'm not sure I could survive for more than 24 hours without tea!

*live*&*let*live

^ tell me about it ^ I do miss my tea, but not enough to have one with cows milk!

Eurgh, well no. Quick, go and test out your oat milk! It's making me anxious thinking of tea-lovers going without tea

Sometimes I can't get through a whole carton of soya milk in a week at work, so I have hot chocolate, cereal or porridge to finish it off.

Oops. Posted twice by mistake.
    Last edited by Cherry; Jul 9th, 2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: oops

*live*&*let*live

Can't until this carton of Alpro light is used up or it will go off! What do you recommend?!

To use up your alpro light? Tea!! No, wait... I don't know. Hot chocolate at bed time, cereal in the morning and a couple of cups of coffee?

Red Lion

The only thing that mixes well with alpro light is more of the same

*live*&*let*live

Cherry, I meant to put in my tea My hairy daughter will drink the Alpro Light if I give it to her, but was meaning for my tea!!

I tried almond milk the other day, and found it to be on the same level of sweetness to rice, but with an odd, flavour. I would imagine cashew nut milk might be a winner, but i don't know if it exists. (well if its good enough for ice cream...)

I haven't tried almond milk. Will have to give it a go - not in tea, though!

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Cherry, I meant to put in my tea My hairy daughter will drink the Alpro Light if I give it to her, but was meaning for my tea!!
    I recommend whichever milk you find palatable! I'm happy with any carton of unsweetened soya milk. I find rice milk too watery, 'so good' too sweet and hazelnut milk (which is nice to drink on it's own) too clumpy, sweet and makes the tea taste funny. Have you tried the oat milk yet? I think I've had that in tea before and it was ok.