Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Raw vegan food: What did you eat today? (2)

JC

Default Re: Raw vegan food: What did you eat today? (2)

I made THE most amazing raw chocolate today, inspired by a recipe from ani phyo.
    I mixed liquid coconut oil, cocoa powder, lucuma powder and date syrup* in a bowl to make the chocolate.
    Then i blended raspberries, raisins, date syrup and a little of the chocolate to make a thick raspberry chocolate sauce.
    I sprinkled some hemp seeds in a chocolate mould, added the liquid chocolate, allowing it to form a casing in each mould. Then i added a dollop of the raspberry mix, topped with chocolate and chilled. I also did some just with dried cranberries instead of the raspberry sauce.
    The result was amazing!
    If only they were made out of lettuce and celery instead of coconut oil...

I've been trying fruit smoothies for breakfast, rather than the green smoothies I used to have. (I'll maybe have green smoothies for lunch in the summer sometimes.) For each person who's partaking, I grind a tablespoon of flax seeds and then I add some apple juice, four brazil nuts, three teaspoons of lecithin, a squirt of agave nectar, a teaspoon of cinnamon and a reasonable amount of frozen blueberries or raspberries. If I don't have any frozen fruit, I add Meridian organic fruit spread (which I don't suppose is raw, actually) and cut down on the agave a wee bit. It makes a lovely, fruity shake and the lecithin makes it so creamy! If you keep some back, it makes a nice raw pudding, too! I sometimes add a banana, too. Yum!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I liked it a lot! Thanks for the great idea.
    Here's what's in it. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/5573/2
    The value of a sentient life is not measured in its utility to others, but in its immense, irreplaceable value to the being whose life it is.

I'm trying to incorporate some raw foods into my diet at the moment.

B - Strawberries and nuts

L - salad with shreded white cabbage and carrots and an avocardo, wholegrain mustard and lemon juice dressing. Also a tomato and bazil salad with a lemon, pepper and extra virgin olive oil dressing.

Snacked on more nuts with some mango juice.

Dinner will be raw brocolli soup and orange and mapple syrup tea.

JC

I've been gearing towards high raw as of late. I'm transitioning slowly so it's a lot easier than the last time, but i feel very... floaty... shaky almost. Does anyone else get that?
    Here's what i had today:

Breakfast: About 1/2 a cup of mixed dried fruit, nuts and seeds soaked overnight and mixed with a small sliced banana and hemp milk. Miso soup.
    Morning snacks: kids smoothie pouch & mini raisin box
    Lunch: Beetroot, rocket and mixed sprout salad. Pear. Non-raw organix (kids) cereal bar.
    Mid-afternoon snacks: nakd cashew bar and handful dried fruit.
    Dinner: cooked hummus & carrots with leaf salad. A few cubes of coconut.

And despite all that, i still feel weak (but not hungry i might add...)

B - Strawberries, banana, walnuts with a sugar substitute syrup topping.

L - Homemade raw houmous with chopped carrots and green pepper

Dinner will be a salad and guacamole with mustard dressing, fruit and raw rhubarb compote

JC

Breakfast: a couple slices sprouted bread topped with almond butter and banana
    Lunch: Personal hummus pot*, with broccoli and carrot sticks. Pear, organix kids cereal bar* & mini raisin box.
    Snack: Apple
    Dinner: Personal hummus pot*, with broccoli and carrot sticks (again). Handful of rocket and sprouts. Couple spoonfuls booja booja chocolate flavour "ice cream".
    Snack: Whole bag of dried pineapple!

B - strawberries, dried fruit and walnuts with soya crean and syrup, an orange

L - chopped banana, chopped stoned dates, dried figs chopped and some watermelon

D - a chopped green pepper and 3/4 cucumber sliced length ways and raw hummus.

Snacks - more dates and melon, a couple of walnuts.
    Avocardo with spring onion and cucumber.

I've also just made a dairy free raw substitute for ice cream which is currently freezing
    Will see how it tastes tomorrow!

JC

Ooh exciting about the ice cream! I'm lazy and just buy booja-booja!
    I have just realised that so far today, i have been completely raw. And, i've been transitioning at such a snail pace that i've barely noticed i'm not cooking anymore! Wow...

B: Sprouted bread and banana
    S: Pulsin Bliss bar
    L: Random mixed salad (cauliflower, beetroot, arame, broad beans, mixed sprouts, liq.ams) with 1/2 a flax cracker, apple and a couple of dried figs
    S: Couple spoonfuls booja booja (choc) ice cream

D: ...will no doubt be non-raw hummus and purple sprouting broccoli... as usual!

I've not heard of Booja Booja. Will look out for that!

Eaten loads today.

B - Smoothie made from 2 banana's, strawberries, raspberries and coconut.
    A fried mushroom sandwich with ketchup (mushrooms were not fresh enough to eat raw)

L - Cabbage wraps stuffed with home made raw guacomole.
    Green pepper sandwich (green pepper as the bread filled with tahini, tomatoes and cucumber)

Snacks: more bananas- 5 I think, loads of dried figs,dates raisons, dairy free home made ice cream, kiwi, walnuts and an apple.

D - raw pasta (courgette strips) with raw garlic tomato sauce with added cucumber and spinich lleaves.

Almost a raw day...Monday and Tuesday..I was totally raw

My goodness. you are eating tons of fat. No wonder you feel tired. It's a typical mistake of those who eat raw and then fail. Nuts are great but only a few times a week. You should consider eating much more fruit instead. If you had a look at how much fat you had with those meals, compared to the total calories, you'd be pretty shocked. Fat slows you down and makes you feel lethargic cause they take forever to be digested.

Quote vegetarian_cat View Post
    My goodness. you are eating tons of fat. No wonder you feel tired. It's a typical mistake of those who eat raw and then fail. Nuts are great but only a few times a week. You should consider eating much more fruit instead. If you had a look at how much fat you had with those meals, compared to the total calories, you'd be pretty shocked. Fat slows you down and makes you feel lethargic cause they take forever to be digested.
    Speaking for myself: I'm currently transitioning to raw be it permanant or temporary..I did start by eating lots of nuts as I felt that's what I needed...didn't feel tired though! I've now eliminated a lot of fat (when I eat raw) and will try to soak nuts in the future before eating them. I don't think I will fail in my raw food journey as its my choice to change my mind if I want to so I don't see it as failure. I've started to juice some fruits and veg as well as make fruit or green smoothies. I don't think counting calories are too important at the beginning as its a big lifestyle change. Compared to eating cooked foods..I don't feel you can do much wrong when eating raw as long as you are eating enough and getting healthy fats even if it is a little much.

JC

I actually discovered i was deficient in EFAs after being a bit oil-phobic, which was why i was feeling so tired and absent all the time. Now i'm taking a supplement (vertese, great brand), hemp powder and... *shudder*... hemp oil. I'm trying to cut down on the nuts now i'm a bit beyond transition, but it's going to be hard. They're the only raw foods which have that dense texture i crave so much. Maybe i should get more in dehydrating. Hmm...
    Oh, and booja booja is AMAZING stuff. Have a look in your local health shop and if they don't have any, ask, because sometimes they'll order it in for you. It's quite expensive, about £6 for a tub of the ice-cream, but well worth it. The chocolate one is the best in my opinion. They also do a few raw truffles. I know the raspberry ones definately are, and another one too.

I've been thinking of getting a dehydrator..I would love to make some crackers and kale chips especially now I've brought a juicer and can use the pulp for crackers mixed with some flax seeds and spices etc

I did look for Booja Booja but didn't find and brought Freedom ice cream instead, haven't tried it yet though. Will ask the local health shop to order it perhaps next time then!
    Raw truffles sound good..I had a nakd cashew and carob cookie bar this week which I really liked and preferred to the other ones I've tasted.

JC

Yeah, the cashew cookie one is definately the best, isn't it? I sometimes go for Freedom if Booja-Booja isn't available. They don't sell to supermarkets though, so if that's where you were looking then it's not surprising you didn't find it!

Today i had:
    B:raw porridge (3 tablespoons soaked oat groats, a couple almonds, a few prunes, a banana, lecethin granules, hemp protein powder, cocoa powder all blended)
    L: Strips of pepper with hummus*, beetroot coleslaw and a bit of greenery. A spirulina bounce ball.
    S: Dried figs and goji berries.
    D: Will probably be raw corn on the cob and something else with it... And booja-booja ice cream!

MMM cashew cookie bar is yummy..shame it's about 90p for a few bites but I guess it's meant to be a treat. I did look for Booja Booja in H&B but they only had diabetic ice cream.

Today so far:

B: 4 mejool dates and strawberry, mango, beetroot and ginger juice

L: sharon fruit and dragon fruit

Later I will have marinated mushrooms and salad

Will try not to have anything cooked but we shall see. Instead will try to have some olive and more greens...possibly bannana's

smoothie (strawberries, soaked almonds, vanilla, agave)
    1 peach
    1 banana
    salad (spring greens, tomato, cucumber, sunflower seeds, LF balsamic)
    1 avocado
    coconut larabar
    raw kale salad (kale, tomato, raisins, lemon, olive oil)
    raw anaheim pepper stuffed with black pepper cashew cheese and topped with raw mole sauce
    spanish "rice" (shredded acorn squash, tomato, cilantro, garlic)
    more strawberry/almond smoothie
    tabbouleh-bouleh

smoothie (peaches, soaked cashews, vanilla, agave)
    cherries
    blueberry larabar
    1/2 a stuffed anaheim pepper
    spanish squash "rice"
    pb&j larabar
    raw macadamia nuts
    guacamole over mixed greens
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Actually, is the raisins are sundried, they're raw Which is awesome, since I love raisins :3
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

Yesterday:

4 banana's, 7 asian mini banana's, soya yoghurt*, mini asian mango, gaja melon (whole), green smoothie (3mini bananas, 2 large handfuls baby spinach and blueberries), more blue berries, a few dates, raw pasta (courgette in blended tomatoes with spring onions, then chopped cucumber, red pepper, parsley and olives on top), Orange juce

*bump*

Breakfast: green smoothie made from: 1 ring fresh pineapple, 2 apples, 2 bananas, 3 large leaves of savoy cabbage, a small part of both flax seeds and sunflower seeds.

Lunch: salad with cabbage, carrots, red bell pepper with a orange-dijon dressing

Evening meal (didn't have time for dinner...): To small slices homemade sourdough bread* with nooch and a couple cherry tomatoes + fruit smoothie made from 1 large ring of pineapple, 2 bananas and a peach and seasoned with cinnamon and cardamom! YUUUMMM!!!
    Why kill when you have the choice to avoid it?

I'm Overt Free, I buy in bulk for the week, Sun-Sat. Depending on where my money lies for the month & how active I have to be, I can eat up to 6000 cals/day. Today I ate: 1kg Honey Dates + 3 Heads Ice Berg Lettuce + a Head of Celery + a few pounds of green seedless (sadly) grapes. I only had 3 Liters of Water. I mostly mono'd.

mmm i just made this... my first ever raw recipe (as inspired by the Raw Kitchen on the Active channel)

it was delicious!
    Recognize meat for what it really is: the antibiotic- and pesticide-laden corpse of a tortured animal. ~Ingrid Newkirk

B: 1 ripe avocado, banana-raspberry-blackberry-pear smoothie
    L: Bananas, pitayas, mandarins
    D: avocado, fresh juice, mangos and lots of apples

Breakfast: Smoothie with an apple, raspberries, kale, strawberries, mango

Lunch: Avocado mixed with Celtic sea salt, garlic, lemon, and sweet peppers, stuffed into Romaine lettuce leaves

Supper: Large salad with mixture of lettuces (not iceberg), sweet peppers, cucumbers, alfalfa sprouts, olives, dulce, nutritional yeast and "Ranch" dressing made out of Veganaise (grapeseed variety) with garlic powder, minced onion, lemon...

Snacks: Sprouted almonds, figs, dates

JC

I haven't eaten anywhere near enough raw food this year! I really want to get back into it because I feel so lethargic all the time... But because of that I just can't be a**** to do anything about it! My flabby belly is also an indication that my diet needs to change! Anyone have any breakfast ideas to get me going in the morning? I find if I start raw I'm more likely to have a raw day. Only problem is, I can't eat fruit on it's own first thing because it sets off my gastritis...

I recently just started eating raw...or at least attempting to eat raw 100% but I have a weakness for soy ice cream and soy silk.

For breakfast I have been eating: Almonds (like 20) and a banana
    For Lunch I generally eat a salad, another banana (so many)
    For Dinner it's usually a grapefruit, almonds and...salads.

My diet is pretty boring right now but that's because I'm new to it and I do live on campus. Also, giving up coffee and tea is really hard.

I am not on a raw food diet or anything (tried it for a while last winter but was way too cold all the time) but I do like to incorporate raw foods daily into my diet. Today I had a big mango (skin and all) with my breakfast. At lunch I had a collard green lettuce wrap with shredded jicama (this makes a great mock rice), shredded carrot, chopped red pepper, and broccoli sprouts and some grapes too. Munching on a carrot right now. No plans for anything raw at dinner but my green smoothie will be waiting for me in the morning.