Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raw vegan food: What did you eat today? (2)

Default Raw vegan food: What did you eat today? (2)

Yest'day (*=not raw)
    B: narna, tea w/ rice milk*
    M: green smoothie (baby spinach, 3 narnas)
    L: salad w/ lettuce, tom, cuc, avo, carrot, lemon juice
    A: spoonful of pb*
    D: african sweet potato peanut stew w/ green beans, broccoli and brown rice*, later a raw pudding/mousse made with an avocado, cacao and agave syrup plus a mandarin
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Default Re: Raw vegan food: What did you eat today?

Quote Kitteh View Post
    later a raw pudding/mousse made with an avocado, cacao and agave syrup plus a mandarin
    That sounds interesting! Is that from Ani Phyo's book?

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    I had raw pad thai

Ummm...omg! Looks so good! I am so glad you live near me!! Feeeeeeed me!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    That sounds interesting! Is that from Ani Phyo's book?
    Hmm, she might have something like that in her book but I actually got the idea online, someone had lots of avocados and asked what they could do with them and someone suggested a raw pudding.
    At home I had 4 very ripe avocados and decided to try it. I blended 1 avocado, a tbs of cacao, a tbs of agave and a tsp of vanilla. It was a bit too dark/bitter so I had to add a lot more agave! Next time I will add less cacao

*= not raw
    B: narna, ginger lemon tea
    M: spelt strawberry shortcake*
    L: green smoothie (baby spinach, 3 narnas)
    A: tea w/ rice milk*
    D: raw pad thai w/ zuch noodles, capsicum, tomato, cuc, carrot and almondy, chilli, lime sauce, ginger lemon tea

i'm trying to do one raw food day a week. i work out regularly, but i figured on my off day i would try to make that my raw food day. i made a strawberry-blueberry-banana smoothie but i used soy milk. i really like it but is there a way to make it taste good and still be raw? help please!

I know some people make their own soy milk, but I'm not sure of the process. Perhaps the beans need to be cooked first? Anyone?

I'm pretty sure you have to cook soy beans first. But you can make loads of different nut milks - I've made up brazilnut milk at the moment which is really good, or use cashews, almonds etc.
    Another thing that is a great milk replacement in a smoothie is half an avocado, especially if theres a banana in there as well it goes soooo smooth and creamy!
    My 'staple' smoothie at the moment is a banana, 1/2 avo and whatever fruit/berries I have around.

mmm i'll have to try that. I have an avocado in my fridge that i've had nothing to do with for quite sometime. better use it before it turns... i'm a HUGE fruit person so making smoothies is something i love. i don't think i could calculate the mass amount of fruits and berries i consume on a daily basis!

Default Re: Raw vegan food: What did you eat today? (2)

B: Blueberry soy yogurt*, espresso*

L: Salad of shredded red cabbage, tomato, radishes, carrot, lettuce leaves, rocket and green olives*. Peach, 2 plums.

Are olives considered raw? They came in a jar in brine, so I imagine probably not.

D: Two peaches from the local fruit grower person

B: Two pieces of a raw cereal bar I made last night (absolutely divine - used raisins, almonds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds), 3 plums. Espresso*

L: Raw tomato soup (fresh tomatoes, tahini, fresh ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper). Peach.

Actually I'm not sure if the tahini is raw; I have a feeling it's not. It's the Rapunzel light tahini, and I read somewhere it's the only raw one on the market, but...)

i made 32oz of green smoothie this morning from banana, orange, kiwi, romaine, water.
    enough to have breakfast and lunch out of.

it filled me up after breakfast till about 1ish but i was peckish again soon after the lunchtime serving - weird...

I bought a big bag of chard yesterday and am determined to get over my fear of green smoothies, but so far they've not been my thing... Do you have a fancy blender, Cedar? Like a Vita-Mix? I just have a bog-standard one - do you really think it makes a difference when it comes to green smoothies?

Today:

B: Raw "yogurt" (frozen banana, tahini, tropical fruit juice* and cinnamon). Yellow kiwi, peach. Espresso*. Molasses "tea"*.

L: Peach, yellow kiwi, 2 plums, 3 walnuts, handful of almonds. Espresso*, biscuits*

Planning a big salad for dinner...

no i don't have a fancy blender, just a standard hand blender - which is why my smoothies arent very smooth at all, lumpy and bitty.

i'm saving up at the moment either for a vita mix or a dehydrator. the dehydrator may come first as it is cheaper to buy.

i'm convinced that a high powered blender will make a difference to smoothies and things like soups, dressings etc.

looking forward to the day when my smoothies are actually, just that!

smoothie today;
    spinach from the garden
    water
    2 bananas
    orange

i've decided, never ever to put kiwi in a smoothie again. i'd rather eat them as whole fruit.

I have a blender with my food processor, but whatever I'm blending leaks out of the bottom... Certainly hasn't helped the love affair between green smoothies and I...

B: 2 plums, espresso*

L: Salad (salad leaves, tomato, carrot) + olive oil, balsamic vinegar*

D: 2 peaches, nectarine, peanuts*

I haven't posted here in months! I've still been having bananas for brekky, a green smoothie mid-morning as well as salad for lunch but the rest of my day is cooked.

It's good to see you back Kitteh... was wondering where you'd been!
    I'm slowly getting back into the raw way of eating and loving it

B: Banana, espresso*

L: Mock "rice" pilaf (recipe from Jennifer Cornbleet book) - grated raw zucchini with marinara sauce (raw tomato, olive oil, red pepper, dried basil, salt, pepper, cayenne), raisins, parsley and cashew nuts.
    Apple, nectarine.
    Espresso*

I realise the raisins and cashews probably aren't raw.

D: Apple, yellow kiwi, nectarine.

Thanks, Fiamma! I feel like I need too as well but I am using winter as an excuse for my lack of raw :P And that raw pilaf sounds good!

I am happy that I have kept up fruit, smoothies and salads and we are having warmer weather at the moment which makes me wants fresh, raw meals rather than cooked. I am easing back in by having a cooked, homemade veggie pattie with salad for lunch and sometimes dinner too. I will have to start making raw pad thai because I really loved that.

Hm, I've been eating a lot of raw lately. Here's what I'm having today:

B- Green smoothie- 2 banana, 2 apples, spinach

L- peach and kiwi. Salad- mixed greens, avo, roasted pepper*, olive oil and apple cider vinegar and garlic, pecans.

D- Broccoli with hummus. Home made muffin. Lara bar.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Mmm... raw pad thai sounds good... could you share the recipe? And does it need lots of exotic ingredients? I can get fresh ginger, but that's about as exotic as it gets...

The pilaf was great! I can send you the recipe if you want, Kitteh...

It's great to see you eating raw too, DiaShel I love raw food, and feel so well and vibrant when I eat raw.

Today:

B: Yellow grapefruit, nectarine. Molasses "tea"* (not raw, but very high in iron ).

L: Sprouted lentil soup.

Right now I'm looking for raw brownie inspiration...

^ What is this "tea"? I need iron!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Just molasses in hot water is the normal. I think its most often 1 tablespoon. I personally find that too much, so I do it with 1 teaspoon.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Two teaspoons of molasses dissolved in hot water will give you 50% of your RDA of iron, plus other minerals. If you have something rich in Vit C along with it (like I had a grapefruit) it will help with absorption.

This is such a great idea. Does it taste... ok? I don't need it to taste great but it's not horrible is it? I have molasses and used it in a recipe once so I'm excited to have a use for it.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    This is such a great idea. Does it taste... ok? I don't need it to taste great but it's not horrible is it? I have molasses and used it in a recipe once so I'm excited to have a use for it.
    Its odd. The first time I had it it was kinda weird tasting... then after a week or so I decide I really liked it!

I do find that sometimes I forget that that is what I'm drinking, so I look over at a dark cup of liquid, thinking it's my normal black coffee, and I get quite a shock when it's actually sweet yummy molasses!
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

^ My thoughts exactly!!!

I liked it a lot! Thanks for the great idea.

Glad you liked it

I might try it as well, I take Floradix at the moment.

I made some of the raw hummus from Ani Phyo's Raw Food Kitchen, I made some plain and some with sun dried tomatoes, yum!

I've made raw hummus on a couple of occasions - once with zucchini and once with sprouted chickpeas; didn't really like either. How does Ani Phyo make hers?

^ It's made with zucchini, no beans of any kind. I had it before I ate beans. I thought it was eh.

Hmm, can't say I'm big on raw hummus, personally! Although one recipe I made recently - mock rice pilaf - required the grated zucchini to be sprinkled with salt and left for 5 mins before squeezing out the liquid - perhaps it would make the hummus a bit more digestible?

Ok - on with today

B: Brioche*, 2 espresso*

L: Marinated chard with raisins, carrots with parsley and walnuts - both were extremely good

D: Tofu sausages*, marinated chard , apple, 2 peaches, 4 plums.

B: Brioche* (vegan but not raw), espresso*

L: Sundried tomato tofu dip* wrapped in lettuce leaves. Mango, 2 peaches.

I'm making sunflower seed pate which I'll have for dinner with a big salad

Yum! So much of the stuff people are eating on here sounds delicious! I'm trying to go as raw as possible and work my way up to the thirty day challenge (at least), so it's great to see threads like these which give me some ideas!

...Raw food is awesome, because I am so lazy...so far today I've been all Raw, and have had:

A pear for breakfast, then a piece of melon, a bowl of strawberries, and a banana for lunch.

I'm thinking about attempting to make a green smoothie soon...but I'm rather scared...they look a bit icky, but oh so healthy, and sound kinda yummy when described!

BlackCats

Today I have eaten an entire fresh pineapple, a tomato, spring onion and spinach salad and a berry Nak'd bar. (I have eaten lots of non-raw food too!)

Quote FatPassionFishPoet View Post
    I'm thinking about attempting to make a green smoothie soon...but I'm rather scared...they look a bit icky, but oh so healthy, and sound kinda yummy when described!
    They aren't too bad at all, I use spinach in mine. I found with romaine lettuce I could taste it too much. The people on here say that bananas make the green smoothies sweet and nice.

Thanks, BlackCats! The spinach option souds good! Methinks I'll have to pick some up next time I shop...maybe I can put spinach with banana, and something else :s Hmmm, this could take some thinking

Hi FatPassionFishPoet,

I use baby spinach in my green smoothies because it doesn't have too strong a flavour. I use about 400-500ml water, a large handful of baby spinach (or two handfuls) and combine that with 2-4 ripe bananas. It tastes just like a banana smoothie. Yesterday I added 5 strawberries and today I added strawberries and a kiwi fruit.

Don't let the green colour put you off, green smoothies are delish!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    ^ It's made with zucchini, no beans of any kind. I had it before I ate beans. I thought it was eh.
    Yup, it was with zucchini and it wasn't as nice as chickpea/beans but it was still good. I have been making non-raw dips with white beans lately but I want to make some raw dips and raw crackers.

had a really tasty green smoothie for breakfast today -
    green grapes
    romaine lettuce leaves
    orange
    banana
    sesame seeds
    water

yum yum

I just ate a salad of spinach, grated carrot, sundried toms, red peppers and chopped brazil nuts,- before that I drank a carrot, beetroot, apple juice
    I'm going to eat a couple more apples in a minute

Breakfast: Green smoothie with various fruits and cabbage cos that's all I've got - it was tolerable.

Lunch: 2 apples, 2 pears, banana, orange.

Dinner: bulgar wheat soaked for eternity, cauliflower florets (those ones that look like broccoli), chopped brazil nuts, newly sprouted watercress, a sauce of walnut oil, balsamic vinegar and raw tahini. Very nice.

New veg box arrives tomorrow so not much more cabbage to suffer.
    Silent but deadly :p

Quote Hemlock View Post

Dinner: bulgar wheat soaked for eternity, cauliflower florets (those ones that look like broccoli), chopped brazil nuts, newly sprouted watercress, a sauce of walnut oil, balsamic vinegar and raw tahini. Very nice.

New veg box arrives tomorrow so not much more cabbage to suffer.
    mmm I love walnut oil, I'm going to get some tomorrow and I'm going to make a beetroot spaghetti with mixed veg,

i'm just going to get my breakfast of banana, blueberries and mango. i think i'll just peel the mango and bite the flesh off round the pip - very messy but very satisfying!

That sounds lovely Cedarblue!

I love having a breakfast of just fruit and have just had a dish of grapes, raspberries, blueberries and pineapple.
    I've never tried mango before so am going shopping for some today to give them a try!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

copycat

I'm getting really into this raw eating thing. I am only doing it slowly though and trying to build up to more raw, less cooked food.

p.s. I've sent you a pm Cedarblue about the mango I bought!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

hi everyone!
    i'm slowly adopting a raw diet/lifestyle as the opportunities present themselves. for now this means one well thought out (near) raw meal per day.
    this was my breakfast/lunch:
    coffee*
    bell pepper soup
    1/2 pita* stuffed with banana-sprouted chickpea-pepper hummus
    *not raw
    it doesn't sound like much, but it's actually rather filling and it took a while to eat.
    ideally my eventual goal would be to maintain a well rounded 60% raw diet.

hello erictho!

it doesn't matter how small or slow you start, to me every bit of raw added to the diet is a good change! i don't like to set % any more as i feel defeated if i don't manage it, i prefer to look at what i've eaten on a daily basis and do my best.

luckily when the sun is out here, i feel more inclined to eat more salads, veg and fruit.

Please don't hate me!

[YOUTUBE]o6QHp3ML_yw[/YOUTUBE]
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

JC

Sacrilege!!!

Eek Mr Flibble!
    We had a green smoothie for breakfast consisting of wild sea kale we picked from the beach and fruit. It was really nice.

Lunch - some olive pate and crudites with some fruit.

Dinner - Courgette strip 'pasta' and rich tomato sauce which was incredibly moreish.
    Silent but deadly :p

Joe's O's with Almond Breeze for b-fast, coffee with almond breeze, a veggie sandwich and pomegranate popsicle for lunch.
    Give me all your vegan recipes and no one gets hurt.