Thread: Going barefoot

Default Going barefoot

Just wondering how many people do this outside in their home city, town or village... I used to do it when I lived in Melbourne, but have never done it in the village where I live or in Bologna for that matter...

Let me know your thoughts and experiences!

cobweb

Default Re: Going barefoot

I love it and used to do it all the time. However, i have the most poorly feet now, and i literally can't walk far unless i have decent, thick-soled shoes on (I have Plantar Fasciitis ).

I think it's lovely to go barefoot in warm places as long as you look where you're going! .

Sorry to hear about your feet, Cobby.

Looking where you're going is a must, I agree - here people have a nasty habit of not cleaning up after their four-legged friends...

I never wear shoes in the house, but out and about I do, mainly because other people are vile and not only do they leave dog poop everywhere, but spit out gum, drop litter and smash up broken bottles.

Even in the countryside you come across sharp stones, thorns etc... it's just easier to wear shoes!
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Back in the day when I did Karate we regularly went for barefoot runs. ISTR that the juniors were allowed to wear trainers.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Last week I couldn't find any comfortable shoes to wear, so I walked to the drs' surgery barefoot. I burnt my feet on the tarmac and got blisters on the soles of both feet. I don't think I'll be trying it again anytime soon.

^ Ooh, ouch How about flip-flops? They're practically all I wear here in summer.

I wear sandals pretty much all summer too, including when its raining. It would be simply criminal of me not to share my feet with the world

I'm still interested in some Vibram Fiver Fingers, but they're still a little pricey for something I might not wear very often.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    It would be simply criminal of me not to share my feet with the world

puca

Warning: Graphic post!

I walk barefoot most places and love the feel of the earth beneath my feet. Mostly I love the feel of grass, though sand or warm tarmac can be nice. If it was safe, I most likely would not wear shoes at all. I think most non painful/non tickly feelings against my feet are divine!

However, once I was walking along the Thames in Kingston and stepped on glass! I have quite soft skin on my palms and feet and it went right through. I put on my surfer sandals and I have never seen so much blood pouring from a cut. It was grim.

Serves me right I guess.

^ *fiamma goes green* I think I'm rapidly going off the idea...

RubyDuby

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I'm still interested in some Vibram Fiver Fingers, but they're still a little pricey for something I might not wear very often.
    Those look awesome!! Ordering online I would be afraid they wouldn't fit right, and I hate returning through mail... My feet are really long and narrow. If I saw these in a store and could try them on, they would be mine!!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

puca

Quote fiamma View Post
    ^ *fiamma goes green* I think I'm rapidly going off the idea...
    My wound makes you recycle and cut down your carbon footprint

Hooray!

*live*&*let*live

I never thought I would find a thread like this! I LOVE barefoot! I think I was a sixties flower child in a former life. I don't do shoes in the house, have been known to take them off at work - totally barefoot - hope H&S aren't reading this!, walk around outside and end up with the blackest of soles. I don't like walking on rough terrain as it hurts. But with the soles of your feet being one - if not the - most sensitive part of your body I'm not surprised! I love sand and grass, but not the 'deposits' left by irresponsible dog 'owners'.

Buddha Belly

I love barefoot too. Every chance I get the shoes etc come off. I would not dare do it in my dog poo infested estate though.

*live*&*let*live

Love those 'shoes' too! Although they would only go on in the rocky bits of water or pebbly beaches, too much like the real thing!

I like going barefoot for walks in the woods. Or, in the Summer, even to burn my soles on hot sand and tarmac and metal feels good.
    I'd like to talk about the benefits of barfußkeit but I think you can find them online. Anyway, barefoot is awesome! (see here - when you walk on mud it's all squishy and funny)
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    I think I was a sixties flower child in a former life.
    That describes me exactly!

I often run around in the garden on rainy days in my barefeet...........I love the feel of the cool, wet grass!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    I often run around in the garden on rainy days in my barefeet...........I love the feel of the cool, wet grass!
    Wow, you'd be cool too "hang out" with :P

I like to go barefoot, its a nice feeling; especially when its a nice day.

I have to agree the wet grass thing is awesome. Whenever I'm somewhere that has a beach I have to go for a paddle too. It reminds me of my childhood hobbling across pebbly beaches barefoot trying to get to the sea

I was walking in Brum barefoot maybe last week. I had skin coming off from a shoe rubbing I guess. I guess someone stopped their vehicle and commented. Ignored them though. I guess I was tired, anxious and didn't want to speak to anyone.

Quote Zorillo View Post
    Wow, you'd be cool too "hang out" with :P

Quote f2097 View Post
    I like to go barefoot, its a nice feeling; especially when its a nice day.

I have to agree the wet grass thing is awesome. Whenever I'm somewhere that has a beach I have to go for a paddle too. It reminds me of my childhood hobbling across pebbly beaches barefoot trying to get to the sea
    Yes, I think that's why I love being barefoot outside..........it reminds me too of my childhood!
    I can still feel the freezing rush of sea water running over my tootsies when I was about 8 or 9!

Quote Zorillo View Post
    I was walking in Brum barefoot maybe last week. I had skin coming off from a shoe rubbing I guess. I guess someone stopped their vehicle and commented. Ignored them though. I guess I was tired, anxious and didn't want to speak to anyone.
    Oh, that's sounds so painful Zorillo!
    I was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and wore new shoes..........I had to walk quite a bit (we were in Botanic gardens) and my feet were all blistered. They're only just starting to feel better!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

i walk barefoot in the house all the time and outside a fair bit when i can..i really like it..try and wlak barefoot round the supermarket cos it feels really nice the cold..but i got bollocked by someone in sainsburys over it..and people do make comments. well sod off and mind your own business..ha..if i cut my foot, it's my problem..i think if you're walking outside barefoot as well it makes you a little bit more mindful of where you're putting your feet and who you might be treading on..gotta look out for the little beasties. i accidently crushed a snail last week.. i'm usually verycareful not to stand on them cos i think they're great, but i turned and waved at someone and at that exact time when i wasn't looking heard a crunch..very sickening..i felt just awful..was wearing shoes at the time though
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

*live*&*let*live

Oh dear, sorry snail R.I.P. ...you have a snail tattoo don't u?
    Why did they tell u off in Sainsbury's? H&S? I often walk around bare foot, it's very cool on the floor, but OMG SO dirty! If anyone said anything to me, which they never have I would say that my shoes were hurting! If something isn't the 'norm' people find they have to comment. What's the harm? Mind their own, as you said!

I remember a sign in a US Seven-Eleven that said "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service." Always wondered why - can anyone Stateside explain?

cobweb

people can walk lots of germs around - veruucas, athletes foot, also they can hurt themselves and sue shops i expect.

Saying that i shudder to think what some people have on their hands when they are in shops touching food, etc.

People with shoes can walk lots of dog poo and dirty paper around. You never know, there may be a bit of cocaine stuck to someone's shoe

Quote cobweb View Post
    people can walk lots of germs around - veruucas, athletes foot, also they can hurt themselves and sue shops i expect.

Saying that i shudder to think what some people have on their hands when they are in shops touching food, etc.
    http://www.rsc.org/AboutUs/News/Pres...nebanknote.asp

Quote Zorillo View Post
    You never know, there may be a bit of cocaine stuck to someone's shoe
    I don't understand. You mean that you should wear shoes because if you don't, you might absorb cocaine through your feet off other people's shoes?

I love not wearing shoes, but I don't usually go out and about on concrete without at least a pair of flip flops on. Stu and I walked in the sand along Bridlington beach last weekend and that was lovely. Made me wish I lived nearer the sea.

Quote cobweb View Post
    i shudder to think what some people have on their hands when they are in shops touching food, etc.
    Don't you think you're over-reacting a bit? Here in Italy you have to put on a pair of plastic gloves before you choose your veg. I think it's OTT and terribly wasteful; I think as long as you wash your veg there's no problem with germs.

I think all this fuss about bacteria is a bit OTT - the obsession we have with anti-bacterial handwash is killing all the friendly bacteria on our skin and making us more prone to infection.

From a germ point of view, as long as I have no cuts or wounds on my feet, I'd have no problem going barefoot, even in the city.

cobweb

Quote fiamma View Post
    Don't you think you're over-reacting a bit? Here in Italy you have to put on a pair of plastic gloves before you choose your veg. I think it's OTT and terribly wasteful; I think as long as you wash your veg there's no problem with germs.

I think all this fuss about bacteria is a bit OTT - the obsession we have with anti-bacterial handwash is killing all the friendly bacteria on our skin and making us more prone to infection.

From a germ point of view, as long as I have no cuts or wounds on my feet, I'd have no problem going barefoot, even in the city.

I don't think about it much, i was just shuddering to think about it just then when trying to fathom out the 'shoes' rule in shops
    I hate anti bacterial soaps, etc, for one thing they irritate my skin terribly

You are probably right, best not to think about where peoples' hands have been

Sorry to hear about your hands

cobweb

Quote fiamma View Post
    You are probably right, best not to think about where peoples' hands have been

Sorry to hear about your hands

oh that's ok, it's the least of my worries (laughs maniacally)x

Quote fiamma View Post
    I remember a sign in a US Seven-Eleven that said "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service." Always wondered why - can anyone Stateside explain?
    Was it near a beach? I think it's just to stop people wandering in half naked from off of beaches. I think the 'no shoes' bit is probably just coincidental since if you're not wearing a shirt there's a good chance you're not wearing shoes either (if you've been on the beach). Maybe it has to do with health and safety though and they don't want people suing them because they stood on glass in their shop.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

It was near a beach, actually Very clever of you, Risker

I once walked around the city of Warsaw barefoot. I was 17 at the time. I wouldn't do it now.

By the way it was summer in case you are thinking of winter temperatures in Warsaw.

Fab city, highly recommended
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

Quote Cherry View Post
    I don't understand. You mean that you should wear shoes because if you don't, you might absorb cocaine through your feet off other people's shoes?

I love not wearing shoes, but I don't usually go out and about on concrete without at least a pair of flip flops on. Stu and I walked in the sand along Bridlington beach last weekend and that was lovely. Made me wish I lived nearer the sea.
    No I didn't mean that. It was after Cobweb was on about going barefoot. I meant that people could also walk bad stuff through wearing shoes too

I love going barefoot. I love walking on wet grass. I think you can forget how much you can feel through the bottoms of your feet. My only problem is I get really really cold feet, even in summer!

I love going barefoot too

*live*&*let*live

^ and I love your play on words in your forum name ^

Everyone teases me for my "hippy" ways, no shoes is definately a trait they zero in on. I love to be barefoot. My wedding = barefeet, white bikini...
    -zee

If I wasn't in such distress over the hundred-to-one chance a roundworm wiggles up my foot, into my organs, takes over command by carving out my insides and depleting whatever's left of my zombified cerebellum to later take over the world* ...then absolutely. However, "no shoes in the house" is a cardinal rule of mine and before I was plagued with the hypothetical worm crisis I remember what it felt like to wake up on a hot, summer morning and bury your feet in cool, loose dirt. Exhilarating!

*My roundworm definition is a result of an embellished exaggeration. If you want something a little less fictional, look here.