Thread: Chocolate Glazed Custard Doughnuts!

Talking Chocolate Glazed Custard Doughnuts!

These probably don't come into the healthy category but they are pretty damn nice and well worth it for a bit of a treat.

You could use the recipe for the doughnuts and do other things with them too like fill them with jam. Lots of fun to play with!

Make about 10 - 14 doughnuts
    Half the recipe if you want less

Doughnuts
    2 Cups Strong White Flour (plain flour will do but not quite as good)
    1/3 Cup Vegan Margarine
    2/3 Cup Soya Milk (luke warm)
    1 1/2 tsp Yeast
    1 tbs Caster Sugar
    Pinch of Salt

Custard
    I used Birds Custard powder made up to the recipe on the reverse of the pack using soya milk. If you can't get a vegan custard powder then it can be made using cornflour as a substitute. Not sure on the exact quantities but you can find a few recipes on google.

1 pint of custard should be enough for the doughnuts

Chocolate glaze
    150g Vegan Chocolate
    3 Tbs Soya Milk
    1 Tbs Vegan Margarine

To make the doughnuts you will need to fry them in oil. An oil without a strong flavour such as vegetable or sunflower will work well

Mix the yeast with the luke warm soya milk and put to une side for 5-10 mins

Cream the sugar and marge together in a mixing bowl then add the milk.

Gradually mix in the wet ingridients with the flour to make a dough.

On a floured surface kneed the dough for 2-3 mins

Cover with clingfilm or a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for around 30 mins till doubled in size

Kneed again on a floured surface then cut into small balls for doughnuts. Don't make the mistake of making them too large as they expand a lot when cooked and if too big remain doughey in the middle. Flatten them a little once they are in a ball.

Cover and leave again to double in size

They are now ready to be fryed. Heat your oil to 190c (375F) and carefully lower a few doughnuts into the oil. don't be tempted to cook too many at a time or the oil will drop in temperature too much.

If the top of the doughnut rises out of the oil then turn them over half way.

Cook them for 2-3 mins until golden brown then leave to cool.

Make up the custard according to the recipe on your packet, cover with a layer of greaseproof paper to stop a skin from forming, the n leave to cool.

Once the doughnuts and custard have cooled you can cut the doughnuts in half and spoon some custard into each. The custard should now be quite thick and stay in place easily.

In a pan heat the chocolate with soya milk and marg, mix until melted. It is best to leave it a little while to thicken before spooning on top of the doughnuts (that way you can get more chocolate on each doughnut )

Pop in the fridge and enjoy when cooled.

Default Re: Chocolate Glazed Custard Doughnuts!

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Wow! Where abouts in Warwickshire are you? *Gets in car with Warwickshire A-Z!*

Quote Cherry View Post
    Wow! Where abouts in Warwickshire are you? *Gets in car with Warwickshire A-Z!*
    Lol, I'm in Kenilworth. I'm working near Rugby tommorrow tho!

Won't do you much good driving here, there's only one doughnut left and my girlfriend wants it. I can't imagine she'll be impressed if it's gone after she's been hearing about them down the phone thew last few days, lol.

Already had my work lot drooling over them in the staff room. hehe

I can be there in 10
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Hehe. No need to panic, I'm not keen on custard tbh. Do feel free to bring some custard-less ones to Rugby with you tomorrow, though It's nice to hear from Warwickshire vegans. I thought there weren't any for months and months, but it turns out that the Rugby vegan group were there all along! Silly me.

Edit: Just 3headedpuppy to go and you've got the attention of the WHOLE Warwickshire VeganForum posse, Simon

I'm not a big custard fan myself, or at least not when it's hot. Cold stuff is much nicer IMO. especially if it's in a nice vegan trifle along with a good bit of brandy, yum.

Yeah Warwickshire isn't the best for vegans. Rugby isn't bad though, least u have the veggie tea room and health food shop there

OMG...this recipe is like a dream come true. Really, the other night I dreamed that I was in a store that sold vegan donuts and I was buying everything in sight. Thanks!

Ah, no, I like HOT custard, just not the cold wibbly stuff Yeh, the veggie tea room hardly has anything vegan though, and the health food shop has just closed down There's still 'Wild and Free' though, so it's all good.

Anyway, sorry to go off topic - the doughnuts look great. Will have to give them a try!

Thats a shame, i remember them doing nice vegan sausage rolls in there.

If custard isn't your thing the vegan whippable cream you can get may work well instead

I'm thinking of trying it w/ vanilla pudding!
    Erm, custard isn't pudding in the UK is it?

*live*&*let*live

Yep custard is pudding in the uk! Look great I am sure we will be scoffing them in our house preeetttyyy soon! If my son has any influence over it right now!

Has anyone ever made custard with paupau before! It doesn't take much doing, the fruit from the tree that is native to my area (Ohio) already has a custard-esque texture. It is so amazing!! Like a cross between a real good peace, a mango and a banana.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

Quote Cherry View Post
    It's nice to hear from Warwickshire vegans. I thought there weren't any for months and months
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I wasn't counting you!