Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and Barrett

pavotrouge

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

I can report broken fridges/freezers in Herts and North London...

And in St Albans, Herts.

cobweb

!!! that's so crap! i've seen broken fridges before too somewhere in Scotland

i go to a nice independent health food shop now, everything's at least 10p dearer than H&B but at least they can afford a decent fridge/freezer!

Yes it is a very good shop for us vegans.... I love it

Surrey Quays H&B's fridge/Freezer is also very conducive to furry sausages and soggy burgers.

I don't go there any more.

That's obscene

Well, the fridge in Redditch works just fine! (Sometimes it just isn't that full!)

Lol at all the broken freezer posts. For the last week or so the Southampton one has had cardboard over the chest freezer and everything's wrapped in bin bags inside. I think when its working again I'm gonna give the frozen stuff a miss *blurgh*

Its probably the worst branch of any shop I've ever been in. I think it only stays open because its the only place that sells veggie/vegan food in the city centre :/

I worked in a Holland and Barret for about a year and a half, and the fridge was always alright - can't believe how many round the country are so useless though! Haha. Yeah general problem was always that the delivery for the fridged/frozen stuff was enough to fit into the fridge and freezer, but that would get sold within about two days and then there would be nothing to fill it up with until the next delivery. Where as there were two big stock rooms for all the stuff kept at room temperature!

I can report it's not unknown to find a duff fridge and freezer in Stafford and Buxton too.
    Boom, boom

Sort it out Holland and Barrett! Lol

I was in H&B yesterday and they had a "buy one get one half price" offer on everything in the shop! I asked the manager who said that all the branches are doing it and it's going to last three weeks.

yes there's adverts on TV about it ATM

Just a quick heads up. If anybody is thinking of buying a pie/pasty type thing from the fridges in Birmingham Pallasades for lunch today - i'd advise against it. I bought 2 cornish pasties (use by 17th July) at 5pm yesterday and both had mould on them...
    This seems to be happening to me on a regular basis between Brum and Cov! Last time it was Fishless Fingers and the shop assistant had the nerve to blame my fridge even though it was discovered and taken back with hours. There was more mould than Fish Finger!
    I'm going to complain via email, it's really putting me off H&B.

^ yeah i've found that a time or two with fresh stuff from h&b..but then they have crap fridges..see above!!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

H&B are well renowned for their crap fridges.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    H&B are well renowned for their crap fridges.
    And with good reason. If I buy anything chilled I check it for mould in store and it goes straight in the freezer as soon as I get home. If I had anything bigger than an ice box then I would just bulk buy by mail order.

I was just talking to someone this morning about the mould issue and the Redwoods packages doming or expanding (which is a sign that they are producing gases and going off). This person orders direct in bulk from a supplier used by many health food shops do and fridges the stuff straight away but they still have this problem.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

I have been buying a vegan sausage roll most of the time from H&B but I have been trying the other pastie type things lately. I didn't realise so many of them were suitable for vegans.

I was in the Altrincham (Cheshire/Manchester) branch a short while back and they have got rid of their fridge/freezer altogether. Spoke to the manager who said that, because of the complaints recieved, they are removing all units falling under that local area manager's jurisdiction. Also mentioned that there is no likelihood of H&B ordering new units to replace faulty ones in any store that has to have their unit removed due to a fault. They will just be replaced with shelving for more ambient goods.

A pleasant step backwards for a fuckload of vegans then.

nice!

leedsveg

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I was in the Altrincham (Cheshire/Manchester) branch a short while back and they have got rid of their fridge/freezer altogether.
    This happened at a branch in Sheffield I used to go to. But at least it gave them more room to display tins of supplements for weight lifters and body builders.

lv

On Saturday, I went to the Kingston H&B and their freezer was playing up too

On the plus side, I picked up a vegan chorizo lattice pasty thingymajig. It was yum

Quote loveganism View Post
    ...I picked up a vegan chorizo lattice pasty thingymajig. It was yum
    I haven't seen those before. I'll have to look out for them the next time I pop in to their Charing Cross store.

I managed to pick up a pack of Redwood's Sage & Marjoram sausages today, on offer for £1.25. Mould free and are now heating in the oven to go with baked beans, toast and hot brown sauce.

You know you can cook them in the microwave right?

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    You know you can cook them in the microwave right?
    True, but I like the texture of them oven cooked. I would imagine they are less likely to develop mould over night as I plan of having the rest in a sandwich tomorrow.

The number of times the Holland and Barrett fridge has displayed 'out of order' beggers belief. I'm pleased to say the one in Brighton (North Street - opposite Clock Tower) is currently functional, but with limited products (just in case)!

They must have a strange business model - considering how much stuff they must lose/not be able to sell when this happens, you'd think they could spring for a decent fridge and freezer. Mind you I suppose even the supermarket ones pack up at times, esp in hot weather. Maybe we just don't notice as much when they have loads?

Quote harpy View Post
    ...Mind you I suppose even the supermarket ones pack up at times, esp in hot weather. Maybe we just don't notice as much when they have loads?
    As it happens my local Sainsbury's which is overdue for a re-fit is having major problems with their chillers this summer. Last week they were all leaking water and a decent sized of the store was flooded as a result. It made the local Holland and Barratt failures seem rather trivial.

My (until recently) local sainsburys always had freezer problems - only ever in the veggie section on one side and in the Swedish Glace-containing freezer on the other.

Uber frustrating.

Just had a jerky jamaican vegetable lattice slice from h&b, are they new?

I had one a few months ago but have only seen them at Charing Cross.

pavotrouge

I've had them from the St Albans shop a couple of times in the last months. They seem to have changed their range and also the labels in March/April, I believe.

I suppose the fact that it's a franchise explains why it's so variable. There are two stores in Bristol and one is far far superior for vegans, even if it is smaller than the other. Are there really that many body building customers out there?

Yeah! All the guys at my gym use H&B for their bodybuilding needs. I ofcourse won't touch soya isolate with a barge pole, however I do use hemp protein as a bulker.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote veganemporium View Post
    I suppose the fact that it's a franchise explains why it's so variable. There are two stores in Bristol and one is far far superior for vegans, even if it is smaller than the other. Are there really that many body building customers out there?
    3!! one the Centre, one in Cabot Circus and one in Clifton Down shopping centre
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

4 if you count the sh*te one out at the Mall, Cribbs. No fridge or freezer though, pointless.

Just been yesterday: alpro soya desserts 99p, buy 2 get 1 free on all Neals Yard products!

So there is a rumor going around my little vegan/AR community that if you ask, H&B can order you in vegan quiche. I've never seen such quiche, but I've heard it's awesome!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I've seen them in store, but never bought one.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

There pasty's are nice at H & B Veggie Bolognese Pasty mmmm and they do nice Vegan flapjacks

Early reports of the quiches are favourable

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/sho...ble-at-H-amp-B)

but I haven't seen them yet.

cobweb

ooh maybe I can order some in at work (I work in an independant health food store and we stock the cheezecakes - unfortunately for my waistline!!)

The quiches are lovely! Though I bought some in Infinity, Brighton.

leedsveg

^^
    Really nice smell when they are cooking.

leedsveg

"Buy 1 get 1 half price" on everything till 11th November!

I spent about an hour or so in the H+B at Braehead (Glasgow) on Saturday. Having only started the transition to veganism in the last week, I still had loads to get. I managed to get shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste and deodorant so I was really pleased, and pleasantly surprised at how little it cost. The only thing I was disappointed with was the fridge, it looked like somebody had been playing football with the contents while on their tea break, and very little of what was in there had a price on it.

Not real name!

Quote Lynn View Post
    shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste and deodorant so I was really pleased, and pleasantly surprised at how little it cost.
    Even cheaper in Superdrug!

Agree about the fridges though. I'm boycotting the Wakefield branch until they a) get the fridge the thing working again and, b) keep it stocked and stocked tidily.

Not that I'll know though as I'm boycotting the place. Hmm....

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    Even cheaper in Superdrug!

Agree about the fridges though. I'm boycotting the Wakefield branch until they a) get the fridge the thing working again and, b) keep it stocked and stocked tidily.

Not that I'll know though as I'm boycotting the place. Hmm....
    Yep I saw a post earlier where someone said they got a Superdrug's own roll-on deodorant for 70p or something! My DrOrganic one was £5

I guess it's all trial and error to begin with! I'm writing things down as I go along though, so I won't make that mistake twice!

The fridge in my local (Stafford) H&B wasn't working either when i last went in which was sat just gone!!!! There isn't really anywhere else local so i don't know what i'm going to do