Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and Barrett

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

Quote Risker View Post
    They have working freezers? Since when?!
    Quite.

leedsveg

Quote Glen Lambert View Post
    Will they be storing the enhanced range of Frys products in the working or non-working freezers?
    Whichever. Get rid of the Tivall and Quorn rubbish and fill 'em up with the vegan rubbish.

lv

I just got back from shopping in Liverpool, and its only just sunk in how much more expensive H&B is compared to other shops. There is a Greek/Mediterranean/Veggie/Vegan shop and they sell Nakd oat bars for 60 pence (30 pence cheaper than H&B), Quinoa Milk/Almond milk for £2.95 (50 pence cheaper than H&B) and all the Redwood Cheeses/Cheatin slices are cheaper as well!

They really are expensive and where I live always have HUGE Q's.

Also they sell some weird things in there. lol

"It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Quote Firestorm View Post
    ^^ I got the same email this morning, but from someone called Ruth. It took them long enough!!

@ *witchymagic*, how are you finding reducing your soya intake, I'm trying to do 1 soya free day a week (and hopefully 1 raw soon as well).
    Not too bad...I drink a lot of milk, well a say a lot, a pint a day...lol so I've just changed that for the new Rice Dream fortified milk. The butter I use is soy free too...I try and bake mostly soy free except if I use cream as we don't seem to have a gluten free/soya free alternative over here!!!

If they start doing fortified rice yoghurts or almond yoghurts or coconut yoghurts like they seem to in America I'd be sorted!

I decided to reduce it when I started eating tofu and soya mince.

Also if I buy ready made things (hardly ever) I get soy free versions.

As H&B seem to be going downhill I might pack up and move to America with their increased range of dairy alternatives. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

friendly fri

These vegout range of new pasties.Steakless bake is ok but truly i was not struck upon the jerky jamaican.HnB ARE TOO PRICEY.
    :D :)

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    [COLOR=purple]Not too bad...I drink a lot of milk, well a say a lot, a pint a day...lol so I've just changed that for the new Rice Dream fortified milk.
    I tried quinoa milk yesterday. It was revolting. Im gonna stick to So Good Fortified Oat milk for my soya free days

leedsveg

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    They really are expensive and where I live always have HUGE Q's.

Also they sell some weird things in there. lol
    It's best to buy in bulk when they have special offers. The rest of the time, I buy minimal amounts and use my Veg*n Society card. Not sure what effect the rewards scheme will have.

lv

I tried quinoa milk yesterday. It was revolting. Im gonna stick to So Good Fortified Oat milk for my soya free days
    Oh yes I've tried that! Ew yuck! I like quinoa, just not in milk form! lol

Supposedly they have a fortified hemp milk but I've never seen it/really looked.

I wish the hazelnut milk was fortified I quite like that as a rare treat at nearly £3 a carton.

~~~

Leedsveg = I often do that...I like the buy one got one free offer lol The buy one for a penny was a bit rubbish here

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Not sure what effect the rewards scheme will have.
    What reward scheme's that?

leedsveg

Quote Risker View Post
    What reward scheme's that?
    You have a H&B card (they give them out at the stores) and every time you shop at H&B, you get points. After 3 months, I think, they total up your points and send you a reward voucher for money off on your next purchase.

lv

cobweb

I keep forgetting to take my vegan society card for the discount!

Cobweb - you can get a discount with your vegan society card? i didn't know that! I knew membership of the Vegetarian society gave you a discount but not that membership of the Vegan Society did.

Leedsveg - A H&B card??? is this a new thing? Is it separate to the Veg society discount? I've never seen a H&B card advertised.

cobweb

Quote VeganZee View Post
    Cobweb - you can get a discount with your vegan society card? i didn't know that! I knew membership of the Vegetarian society gave you a discount but not that membership of the Vegan Society did.

Leedsveg - A H&B card??? is this a new thing? Is it separate to the Veg society discount? I've never seen a H&B card advertised.
    whoops, no you are right, I am a member of both and got confused!

I used to get a discount with Vegan Society membership, but I think that it might have just been staff in my local shops being confused. Doesn't hurt to ask though!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote leedsveg View Post
    You have a H&B card (they give them out at the stores) and every time you shop at H&B, you get points. After 3 months, I think, they total up your points and send you a reward voucher for money off on your next purchase.

lv
    I have just had a look on their website about this and it appears that it is only available at certain stores:http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...1#HowDoISignUp

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Bought, and have just eaten, a Redwood 'Wot No Dairy?' black cherry dessert. Ok but I wouldn't go mad about it. For 69p, I expected better. Tastewise, reminded me of the Granovita/Granose? yoghurts H&B used to sell for about 38p, I last saw them in Asda maybe a year ago.
    I just tried the raspberry flavour and found it quite a bit nicer than the black cherry, will be trying the apricot and peach one tomorrow.

I have a H&B card.

The only thing I buy from H&B is dried soya mince these days, but mother buys nuts and seeds so the points add up *very* slowly.

leedsveg

I have just had a look on their website about this and it appears that it is only available at certain stores:http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...1#HowDoISignUp
    Yes, sorry everybody. In my eagerness to use the card and get points, I forgot to say that the rewards system has not been rolled out to all stores (yet?).

In the H&Bs in Leeds + Bradford city centres, you can use either a Vegetarian Society or Vegan Society card to get 10% discount. (I get the idea that for the Vegan Society card, acceptance is discretionary to the individual stores.) So far this seems to be working in tandem with the rewards scheme. At one time H&B used to have a pensioner day discount (Tuesday?) and if you showed your pension book, you got 10% off. Don't think that they have this now.

lv

Points card? I hope they do roll it out nationwide. However, I'm still not yet over the excitement of the Superdrug points card...
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Yes, sorry everybody. In my eagerness to use the card and get points, I forgot to say that the rewards system has not been rolled out to all stores (yet?).

In the H&Bs in Leeds + Bradford city centres, you can use either a Vegetarian Society or Vegan Society card to get 10% discount. (I get the idea that for the Vegan Society card, acceptance is discretionary to the individual stores.) So far this seems to be working in tandem with the rewards scheme. At one time H&B used to have a pensioner day discount (Tuesday?) and if you showed your pension book, you got 10% off. Don't think that they have this now.

lv
    I emailed them last night to request that it should be in every shop, not just certain ones as that is unfair to customers.

leedsveg

I know that Tesco will not be everybody's cup of tea but when I shopped there last week, I saved around £7 by using the special offers and using a £3 reward voucher when paying ie total cost=£27 but only had to pay £20. Can't see H&B being as generous somehow.

lv

H
    I got a reply from H&B, they said that as it is a pilot, the sign up is only available at certain stores, but if you want a card you can request it their website, you then need to register it online when it arrives and you can use it at any H&B.
    You also get one if you shop online as well.

thanks for that information Firestorm!

leedsveg

Just got an email from H&B to say that there's double points on purchases this "weekend" (up to 5pm Monday).

lv

Thank you, Firestorm and leedsveg. So do they just scan the card at the till?
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

You might need to use this link to request a card, I dont think there is a choice on the site to request one

Slightly off topic but saw today Holland and Barrett are now labelling certain Blackfriars flapjacks as 'suitable for vegans' very happy! not as much time spent poring over the ingredients on them
    Even the smallest person can change the course of the future

leedsveg

Quote pusskins View Post
    So do they just scan the card at the till?
    They do. They also give you a scanable min-card for your key-ring, which I find extremely handy as my wallet is full of all sorts of cards. As H&B seem to be getting a bit more hi-tech, I'm hoping that sometime this century, they'll have the facility to register my Veg*n Society card details with a swipe, instead of the sales assistantant having to write things on the nearest bit of available paper.

Leedsveg

Not real name!

Quote FaerieSuzy View Post
    Slightly off topic but saw today Holland and Barrett are now labelling certain Blackfriars flapjacks as 'suitable for vegans' very happy! not as much time spent poring over the ingredients on them
    That is really bad news...... for my waistline.

I think the labels have always said if they were suitable for Veg*ns, but in tiny lettering. Now they have massive stickers saying "VEGAN".
    It goes along way to explaining my love handles, the coconut & cherry and date & walnut one's are gorgeous.
    I take them to weddings/funerals/christenings in case the vegan food is "lacking".

cobweb

mmm I love the coconut and cherry ones

H&B have just started to stock Dragon Fly Smoked & Original Tofu

Not real name!

H&B have just started to stock Dragon Fly Smoked & Original Tofu
    Anything with Dragons in is awesome.

leedsveg

If the H&B special offers ("buy one, get one....") are nationwide, something might be happening next week (15/16th) so best keep an eye on their website for an announcement. Sorry I can't be more explicit.

Lv

cobweb

Quote leedsveg View Post
    If the H&B special offers ("buy one, get one....") are nationwide, something might be happening next week (15/16th) so best keep an eye on their website for an announcement. Sorry I can't be more explicit.

Lv
    Why, have you signed the Holland and Barrett official secrets act, LV?

leedsveg

Quote cobweb View Post
    Why, have you signed the Holland and Barrett official secrets act, LV?
    No but H&B staff probably have, if you get my drift.

Lv

Just got my loyalty card, was expecting a cheapo flimsy job like Superdrugs but it's a proper hard plastic card with a key fob. The card's great but they need to fix the website, any time you want to do anything with regards to your account you have to re-sign in each time.

I got mine this morning as well, as its a trial/pilot scheme at the moment I'm sure it will improve in the future especially with people supporting it as they are.

leedsveg

As I said, "Buy One Get One Half Price" offer now on until 13 July.

lv

Hi LV
    Thanks for the heads up on this one, knowing that it was coming up last week meant I could put some money away. I just raided my local H&B and got a few provisions and caused a bit of a kerfuffle with the rewards for life card - my local H&B has never used one before, they scanned all my stuff, then called someone on the phone to find out how to use the card, only to find out you have to scan the card first, so we had to start from scratch again.

friendly fri

They need to lower their prices, get a better vegan range, and stop selling all the bodybuilding proteins that leads to musclemen and others walking in looking for whey protein supplements etc.God , Hn B are dull.

^ I've never actually seen anyone buy any of those massive tubs of whey protein and whatnot despite visiting many many times in several different stores.

friendly fri

Fair point but with respect the people who go near where I live, they are exactly the type of folk who despise wholefoods and vegetarian food.
    I know it is not Hn B`s fault, but it is a shame for a wholefood store to fill up with whey and even gelatine based produce.

I would love H&B to increase their range of Vegan food, but I keep reminding myself that they have never called themselves a Vegan or vegetarian shop, they just happen to stock a range of those foods. With regards to the Whey protein part of me is disheartened to see so much of that stuff in their shops, but they have to sell a wide range of products - I dont think they could afford to stay open if only vegans shopped there, plus they also sell vegan soya protein (which I use) so at least they are trying to cater for us in that way as well

Sittingbourne H&B finally has a fridge and freezer! This will not do my waistline any favours!
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

^ Don't worry pob, it'll break down in a few days.

^ That's what I thought!

Not real name!

Quote Risker View Post
    ^ Don't worry pob, it'll break down in a few days.
    One of their sturdier models eh?

We have 2 H&B in Leicester, until a couple of years ago they both had fridges and the larger one had a freezer too and I never knew them to break down. We must have been lucky.

The smaller one got rid of their fridge, I think to make way for more protein powder or something, and the larger branch has now moved, but I don't recall them having a breakdown in either fridge or freezer. I do only go every few months so maybe I've just caught them at the right time.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple