*live*&*let*live

Default Re: Holland and Barrett

Awww poor Robb.....

Hows the cheesecake going down mate?

Om nom nom...

Buddha Belly

We got the cheesecake yesterday and was just about to post and then noticed you had beaten us to it. It was very nice and would recommend it.

cobweb

ooh, i am off to H&B in Aberdeen this week...........

*live*&*let*live

*visions of Cobby with shopping trolley nicked borrowed from Iceland on the ferry home*

Quote robb View Post
    I found a (frozen) vegan cheesecake in my local H&B today!!

£4 for 500g.

So I bought one.
    I just found these too in Didcot H&B. Defrosting as I type. nom etc.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

I wish one of the H&Bs near me had vegan strawberry cheesecake in!

Tried them all but no luck

I have now tried the Cheesecake. I approve.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

Saw it advertised in the H and B magazine and wondered what it was like...

£4 is a lot of money for me to spend on something 'treaty' at the moment... so I shall sit here, salivating and gathering reviews.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Ah, but it's really only 50p a slice...

pavotrouge

that's not a good way to think when you're trying to save money, tho. that said, I now live within walking distance of a H&B... poverty here I come!

I saw the Cheesecake too I think it is gluten free too I can't remember...plus they have Amy's stuff now. lol

Yay! Found it! If I hadn't have seen on here it was vegan, I really wouldn't have noticed it- I think my brain is programmed to look for the word 'vegan' in large (proud!) letters.

^ still frozen!

Thanks for the pictures loveganism - the eyes, they shall wander!
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

lol it looks a bit rubbish though, three little strawberry things just plonked on top. lol

Haha yeah, it does look like the equivalent of a £1 'special deal' dessert from the supermarket! I tried some a moment ago. It's really creamy, tastes like a mousse-y version of Swedish Glace strawberry ice-cream. Yum

pavotrouge

yum! I went to the H&B in Brent Cross today, they were out of basically everything. also, the whole shopping centre is rubbish.

Buddha Belly

Quote loveganism View Post
    Haha yeah, it does look like the equivalent of a £1 'special deal' dessert from the supermarket! I tried some a moment ago. It's really creamy, tastes like a mousse-y version of Swedish Glace strawberry ice-cream. Yum
    It was nice,but the base was too much like a sponge for me. I like cheesecake with crunchy biscuit base. Bloody good topping and great it is available.

Zero

I had the cheesecake recently, I thought it was pretty good all things considered. I was able to cut it up to defrost slice by slice which was useful. Robb clearly needs new knives

Or new muscles.

puca

Oh god... Cheesecake. That looks so junky *Thud*

I'm not really a huge Holland and Barret fan... You can get a lot of the things they sell in many Asian shops for a lot cheaper. I'm not big on meat/dairy replica stuff either.

However, it's good when I go back to Wales. I can at least get something to help me for the weekend and show my family that vegan food can be phe-nomnomnom-enal.

I do like my local health food shop. They sell wonderful cans of Thai temple chickpea curry. Great for when you can't be arsed cooking, but want something quick, healthy and organic.

Quote puca View Post
    phe-nomnomnom-enal.

Puca, I love the Thai Temple Curry as well - bit hot for me (wimp!!) but very tasty.

The Lurker

I've never really liked cheesecake but would buy that just because its vegan

I don't see the sense in that, but I'd do it . . .

pavotrouge

go for it! I used to hate regular cheesecake and love vegan cheesecake. like so many other things I never liked as an omni but the vegan versions are good!

I just saw the cheesecake when i was in today...........but i managed to desist!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

puca

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I just saw the cheesecake when i was in today...........but i managed to desist!
    Me too.

Something for a party maybe.

Not real name!

Must not go near H&B this weekend. Must not go near H&B this weekend. Must not go near H&B this.....oh bugger it. Must buy nommy cheescake from H&B this weekend. Must buy nommy cheesecake etc etc...

Quote puca View Post
    Me too.

Something for a party maybe.
    My local health food shop had big slabs of vegan chocolate cake reduced today as well!
    I even picked one up then remembered the last time i bought one with every intention of splitting it into 3 parts, but ending up eating the whole lot and feeling kinda queezy for the next few hours!!!.
    I managed to put that back on the shelf as well today!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Not real name!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    My local health food shop had big slabs of vegan chocolate cake reduced today as well!
    In Out Of This World in Leeds they often have a vegan chocolate slice. It's kind of like flapjack but smoother, more chewy. I always buy one to eat straight away and one to eat at home. Sometimes I'll even buy a throd just in case there's a special occasion.

I'd love the recipe, if anyone from Leeds knows it, although it may prove fatal to my waistline.

Silly question, but does the Vegan Society give you the same 10% discount in H&B as Veg Soc do?

An imaginary brazil nut to the first person to tell me.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

I think I've asked before in the past and they don't.

It is worth joining vegsoc for the discount if you shop there regularly.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    I think I've asked before in the past and they don't.

It is worth joining vegsoc for the discount if you shop there regularly.
    Darn it... I don't think I shop there often enough to justify the money for vegsoc

Oh well, have an imaginary brazil anyway, they are very tasty. *Lobs imaginary brazil at Mr Flibble*

Zero

I always get 10% off at H&B with my Vegan Society membership (and have done at all three of the Birmingham stores and the one in Walsall). It was one of my friends who works at the VS that told me they did it.

I've got cheesecake. *nom* *scoff* *munch* :smile:

The cheesecake is brilliant, if a bit soft! I tried it about a fortnight ago and thought it was very tasty. I do love H&B, the big one in Liverpool has all sorts, including vegan toiletries. The fudge is brilliant too, but I haven't had it in a while since I've been trying to eat healthily! Well, as much as I can manage! :P
    http://keepupwithjones.tumblr.com

BlackCats

Quote robb View Post
    I found a (frozen) vegan cheesecake in my local H&B today!! £4 for 500g. So I bought one.
    It was in my local H&B today so I bought it. I haven't tried it yet. I also bought vegan chocolate ice cream, vegan cheese slices, vegan bacon rashers and hazelnut milk. I forgot to buy Plamil mayo though!

I bought some Vegi Deli hotdogs in H&B yesterday and they had Morrisons special offer price stickers on them - what is that all about. (The sticker said £1.99 but they were trying to charge £2.15 for them.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote stephen View Post
    The fudge is brilliant too,:P

Oooh , I love the fudge,- I bought lots at the Vegan festival also

We've had a couple of the cheesecakes and probably won't buy again. Way too sweet (and that's coming from me) and artificial tasting.

The amount of strawberry you get on the top is a joke - they must use 1 strawberry per 10 cheesecakes.

Make your own - cheaper, nicer, fresher

Quote robb View Post
    I just tried to cut it up so that I could defrost it slice by slice, but it didn't work
    Worked fine with my 20cm global knife
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I forgot to buy Plamil mayo though!
    I used to buy this, then realised that Sainsury's reduced fat salad cream was 1/2 the price and vegan.... and I kinda prefer it because I'm not very classy

Ha ha! I always had salad cream too and only started having mayo when I went vegan and couldn't eat salad cream! I was very glad to find vegan salad cream again after many years of missing it.
    (I've never actually had non-vegan mayonnaise.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

BlackCats

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    I used to buy this, then realised that Sainsury's reduced fat salad cream was 1/2 the price and vegan.... and I kinda prefer it because I'm not very classy
    I have only had salad cream a few times in my life but I don't think I liked it. I might experiment again. I do love Plamil mayo though, I eat it with a spoon on it's own.

I bought molasses from H&B today. I was going to get some iron tablets but I got that instead (as recommended by you on here I think Ms_Derious?:smile

Quote BlackCats View Post

I bought molasses from H&B today. I was going to get some iron tablets but I got that instead (as recommended by you on here I think Ms_Derious?:smile
    Indeed, that was me... suggested to me by leedsveg. I sometimes use trecle, as the two are comparable, and its a little cheaper. The molasses tastes nicer through... and I like to make puns about a Yorkshire rapper complaining that's what his local bar was missing 'Mo' Lasses'.

Makes me laugh every time, but I like puns.

BlackCats

Quote Marrers View Post
    (I've never actually had non-vegan mayonnaise.)
    Vegan mayo is much, much nicer than non-vegan mayo IMO.

(Not Mayola though!)

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    IThe molasses tastes nicer through... and I like to make puns about a Yorkshire rapper complaining that's what his local bar was missing 'Mo' Lasses'.
    Makes me laugh every time, but I like puns.
    I always find weird things funny too. I especially laugh at all my own jokes. I am always the person in the audience at the cinema who laughs when no one else is laughing.

I am always the person in the audience at the cinema who laughs when no one else is laughing.[/QUOTE]

I did that at an intimate theatre - henry the second was playing and when the red hot pokes was interted I went OH NO! v loudly.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

BlackCats

Quote vava View Post
    I did that at an intimate theatre - henry the second was playing and when the red hot pokes was interted I went OH NO! v loudly.
    That would have had me in hysterics if I had been there and heard you say that.

Okay back to H&B haha - I bought lavender oil as well today. I like to use it in the bath as it is quite relaxing.:smile:

Quote pavotrouge View Post
    that's not a good way to think when you're trying to save money, tho. that said, I now live within walking distance of a H&B... poverty here I come!
    Now I've moved away from town we have less things from there, although my girlfriend's mum works there so we get discount!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

pavotrouge

is she a nice person? I find most H&B staff unbelievably grumpy. but maybe that's just north London.

The staff in H&B in Didcot are super friendly.